• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q3 2014 Earnings Release (through December 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct.

Interestingly, Nintendo digital sales increased by 70 million from Q1-Q3. Digital products are going to be a major focus from Nintendo going forward.

They now stand at 180 million from Q1-Q3. Conversely, last year they stood at 110 million.

Cheers, I'm awful with numbers wanted to make sure I was reading them right.

I expect digital to be big, too. More focus on Wii Karaoke U, Darumeshi Sports Store, and Wii Sports Club style games, maybe.

StoopKid

Since Parmenides is not here:

Wii U Unit Sales (Unit: Million)

Code:
Hardware       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2012/13       -        -      3.06     0.39      3.45     3.45

FY 2013/14     0.16     0.30     1.95        -        0.46    5.86

Software       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2012/13       -        -      11.69    1.73      13.42    13.42   

FY 2013/14     1.03     5.27      9.66      -        6.30     29.73

3DS Unit Sales (Unit: Million)

Code:
Hardware       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2010/11       -        -        -      3.61      3.61     3.61

FY 2011/12     0.71     2.36      8.36    2.10      13.53    17.13       

FY 2012/13     1.86     3.20      7.65    1.24      13.95    31.09

FY 2013/14     1.40     2.49      7.76       -        3.89     42.74

Software       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2010/11      -        -         -      9.43      9.43     9.43

FY 2011/12     4.53     3.60     19.91    7.96      36.00    45.42    

FY 2012/13     7.39     11.64    20.53    10.05     49.61    95.03

FY 2013/14     11.01    16.37    29.87      -       27.38   152.29

Maybe im reading it wrong.

But those wii u sales are terrible.

B.O.O.M

Yeah, it means that Gamecube owners, few as they were in the grand scheme of things, were pretty damn content with the system, and bought quite a few titles on it. The Wii is a little bit harder to pin down, simply because of the explosion of the Blue Ocean strategy that saw a few titles clear the 20 million sold threshold.

Exactly. We need to apply context for each and every console to get a proper idea.

And with Wii, later on the system was bundled heavily and this number will include wiisports as well. But yeah the casuals were all over the system and rightfully so. Interesting tech, great marketing and easy to get into.

Madao

"With respect to "Wii U," Nintendo released key first-party titles such as "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD," "Wii Party U" and "Super Mario 3D World" from summer toward the year-end sales season. While these titles each sold over one million units. . ."

Happy to see that Super Mario 3D World is over a million, every single Wii U owner should buy it and so should everyone else. Nice to see WWHD sold relatively well too. It'd be interesting to see how many of those were people that never played the game before.

TWW HD must have sold a ton in america since it didn't even crack 100k in the japanese charts.

SM3DW is more believable to be there since it was over 400k in japan at the year's end.

noobie

Banned
It does look like it'll outdo both the GBA and the GB lines in attach rates though, I'd say it's doing pretty decently (though perhaps a little under what would be expected.)

With so many high profile releases from Pokemon to Monster Hunter to Nintendo's own IPs.. i feel this is pretty low.

I don't think so. The GBA was a beast, but it fell off pretty quickly. The 3DS is actually following the PSP-trajectory more closely except it has like 5-10 million lead. We'll see how it ends up, but I'd be surprised if it fell short of 75 million and I feel fairly confident it'll crack the GBA.

I doubt it. GBA actually had some pretty good legs even after the DS released. It shipped the following by fiscal year (FY3/2001 through FY3/2010) (Note that DS released during FY3/2005).

Code:
 15,400,000 (DS released)

3DS hasn't met any of those heavier years and I believe it will be replaced in the next 2 years.

Code:
 13,500,000 (projected)

I think 3DS is in decline and will lose further ground next year and, again, I think it gets replaced by the end of FY3/2016.

AniHawk

TWW HD must have sold a ton in america since it didn't even crack 100k in the japanese charts.

SM3DW is more believable to be there since it was over 400k in japan at the year's end.

nintendo bundled a bunch of digital copies, had the game launch digitally first, and then had a big limited edition in europe and the us.

Mattias

Banned
"With respect to "Wii U," Nintendo released key first-party titles such as "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD," "Wii Party U" and "Super Mario 3D World" from summer toward the year-end sales season. While these titles each sold over one million units. . ."

Happy to see that Super Mario 3D World is over a million, every single Wii U owner should buy it and so should everyone else. Nice to see WWHD sold relatively well too. It'd be interesting to see how many of those were people that never played the game before.

Wind Waker HD is the best Zelda ever imho. Cant wait for "Zelda U"

Tripon

Bit interesting that Nintendo didn't release figures for Mario U + Luigi U this quarter. That was the main bundle being sold though the holidays.

ash_ag

Honest question: why are there so many people here focused on these numbers being shipped? Isn't that always the case?

If there are 50 millions units sold, shipped numbers from sold numbers aren't substantially different. But on 5 million, it can potentially mean a large chunk of the product is stored, rather than sold. Basically, retailers can only store that many systems; but there's a different importance in them when they are 1%, rather than 10%.

JoeM86

Figured I'd post a Pokémon comparison, since there was some question as to how it is "in decline" here the other day

X & Y: Two months & two weeks on sale in all regions - October 12th 2013 - December 31st 2013
11.61 million

Black & White: Just over six months on sale in Japan, just under one in the west - September 10th 2010 - March 31st 2011
11.51 million

Black & White: Just over nine months on sale in Japan, just under four in the west - September 10th 2010 - June 30th 2011
12.87 million

We'll see how it holds up in three months.

Bit interesting that Nintendo didn't release figures for Mario U + Luigi U this quarter. That was the main bundle being sold though the holidays.

They'll probably include it in the supplementary release tomorrow.

Phanservice

Neo Member
Where is everyone getting the "shipped" from? I'm on my phone so maybe I missed it but all I see in the pictures are "hardware sales."

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On another note, regarding the Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing, David Gibson tweeted this around 50 minutes ago.

Nintendo results briefing tomorrow begins at 10am Tokyo time, which is 8pm EST, we will be there and keep you updated as it happens
Source: https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/428422588948168704

More or less given, but thought it was worth mentioning (again).

So, the 3DS is down YOY about 1 million units, but up by nearly ~18 million software.

As it should be (up in software). The install base is larger. However, it should be noted that DS was near its software peak at about this time, though it did increase the following year before beginning a rather sharp decline even as the hardware base continued to grow by another ~50%.

Nikodemos

Honest question: why are there so many people here focused on these numbers being shipped? Isn't that always the case?
It's a considerably poorer indicative of user base size than sold-through numbers (especially in cases where large amounts of units are languishing in warehouses). Microsoft and Sony changed the rules by switching to reporting (and emphasizing) sell-through (unsurprisingly, since it's advantageous for their message).

Rösti;98815292 said:
On another note, regarding the Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing, David Gibson tweeted this around 50 minutes ago.

Nintendo results briefing tomorrow begins at 10am Tokyo time, which is 8pm EST, we will be there and keep you updated as it happens

Source: https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/428422588948168704

More or less given, but thought it was worth mentioning (again).

I told you guys I had the right info. ;-)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Negatives to take from the report:

- Inventories at record high : Approx. 1.8 Billion US

- R&D + Marketing expenses increased despite lower results from previous year

- Wii U commercial failure

- Nintendo did not release results for Super Mario 3D World sales (very indicating)

- 3DS shipments declined compared to last-year regardless of 2DS release

Positives:

- Nintendo digital revenues increased from 110 million to 180 million (increase of 64%)

- Pokemon X&Y very successful at over 11 million

- Share repurchase program

- Somehow (don't know how) Nintendo increased their balance sheet

Only 7.76m 3DS' during the holiday season with a $99 2DS and pokemon is way lower than I expected, I would've thought 12m+. I guess the Mobile market is heavily eating into that Nintendo marketshare.

JoeM86

- Nintendo did not release results for Super Mario 3D World sales (very indicating)

Positives:

- Nintendo digital revenues increased from 110 million to 180 million (increase of 64%)

Surely that's a positive. It shows there's something coming.

Also, regarding Mario, Nintendo seldom reveals numbers in this release, it's the supplementary one that comes alongside the investor meeting which details software.

AniHawk

Only 7.76m 3DS' during the holiday season with a $99 2DS and pokemon is way lower than I expected, I would've thought 12m+. I guess the Mobile market is heavily eating into that Nintendo marketshare.

2ds was $99 for one day at select retailers from what i recall. it wasn't a holiday-long thing. i suspect this year it will be though, like how the normal 3ds was $150 and the xl was $170.

i suspect that as okay as the us sales are, the real issue is in europe.

It is really worrisome. I think they need to find a different hardware solution to the mobile dilemma since the software and 2DS "solutions" aren't cutting it.

Cheerilee

Shipped, if that isn't obvious. So ~2M in warehouses and on shelves?

Nintendo sold 3.45 million units in their first year. Then they estimated that they would sell 9 million in their second year.

Before the holidays, they had sold ~500k in year two. And yet they still insisted that they would sell 9 million by the end of the year, which means that they hoped they would sell ~8.5 million over the holidays. It stands to reason that they had ~8.5 million left to sell at that point, doesn't it?

They sold ~1.91 million over the holidays (2.41 million in year two overall). I don't see how it's possible that Nintendo isn't sitting on ~6.5 million unshipped units.

Someone please tell me I'm an idiot.

Chris R

I had no idea DS game sales were that high. Wow.

That arctic white DS Lite is still the best handheld Nintendo has ever released in my opinion.

Looks like a round of paycuts being reported by Nikkei? Going off Google Translate anyway

Reduction rate of 50% Iwata president, 30% two representative directors with the exception of the president Iwata, 20% of the other Directors. In February-June, a reduction period described in "judging by business environment at that time" and (Iwata president) for the remuneration of then.

I am surprised to see Wii Party U sell over a million. It must have pushed over 100k in NA by the sounds of that.

Underrated little party game. I play it with my girlfriend.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wii U FY 2014 up to Q3 - 2,410,000
Wii U FY 2014 total forecast - 2,800,000

Wii U units to ship in order to reach the forecasted goal - 399,000

Wii U FY 2014 software up to Q3 - 15,960,000
Wii U FY 2014 software total fotecast - 19,000,000

Wii U software units to ship in order to reach the forecasted goal - 3,040,000

3DS FY 2014 up to Q3 - 11,650,000
3DS FY 2014 total forecast - 13,500,000

3DS units to ship in order to reach the forecasted goal - 1,850,000

3DS FY 2014 software up to Q3 - 57,250,000
3DS FY 2014 software total forecast - 66,000,000

3DS software units to ship in order to reach the forecasted goal - 8,750,000

jmizzal

Positives:

Did you miss this part in the OP?
"Super Mario 3D World - Some number more than 1 million worldwide lifetime shipped copies (+ eShop sales to consumers)"

It sold over a mil worldwide , what numbers do you want them to release?

Also so glad both 3DS and WiiU Zelda games sold great

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
How do we know this? Seems like a slippery slope putting this factor in a discussion. Not that I doubt that there are loads of unwanted Wii Us on shelves.

Well, a lot of manufactures do channel stuffing from time to time, but having to report negative shipments like Nintendo had to do for Wii U last year is not so common I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom