• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo To Use Sharp Free Form Displays For Next Handheld? (Screens Of Prototypes)

Painguy

So, I'm pretty sure this is for their QOL thing. But the talk about a single screen handheld with the controls directly on the screen got me thinking, so I made a quick little concept to see what that could maybe look like:

qgnLzNG.jpg

The second and third images would be if the controls were transparent or something, and had like little LEDs underneath that would change color by being context-sensitive to the surrounding image. Not feasible, I'm sure, but I'm not an engineer. So that doesn't matter to me

Cool looking but not at all practical for actual use.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Any possibility for a novel application of the donut shaped display over each eye for some crazy VR, augmented reality, or 3D display technology?
I don't know enough about optics, focal lengths, and whatnot to see if it's even practical.

Jumpman23

If it is to be donut shaped my guess is that it will be that shape so that you can wear it on your wrist and that this will indeed be for their QOL stuff. I personally would like to see something like the Samsung watches but with more functionality from Nintendo.

Instro

If it is to be donut shaped my guess is that it will be that shape so that you can wear it on your wrist and that this will indeed be for their QOL stuff. I personally would like to see something like the Samsung watches but with more functionality from Nintendo.

Well unless something has changed, their QoL stuff is supposed to be non-wearables. So this has to be something for the home like their sleep sensor.

Undeniably slick, but your hands would be covering part of the display.

They could just make the device wider so it isn't as cramped and you still have the screen realestate. Either way, I don't think that's very feasible for a gaming console right now. That's going to be expensive to manufacture for a little extra flash that doesn't do anything.

I'm betting it's going to be a simple QoL device.

So, I'm pretty sure this is for their QOL thing. But the talk about a single screen handheld with the controls directly on the screen got me thinking, so I made a quick little concept to see what that could maybe look like:

qgnLzNG.jpg

The second and third images would be if the controls were transparent or something, and had like little LEDs underneath that would change color by being context-sensitive to the surrounding image. Not feasible, I'm sure, but I'm not an engineer. So that doesn't matter to me

Would be interesting, I'd go for a 2.4:1 screen ratio instead of 16:9.
I think it would be bound to have a protective bezel around it even if the tech doesn't require one, so things like the home button could go on there.

aza

Alright, decided to explore this a little further and I made a quick little GIF. Didn't have time to animate the color-changing controls, and I agree that a 2:40:1 screen ratio would be better, but I couldn't find any video to fill out the screen space properly. So I just stuck with 16:9:

InfamousGratefulHowlermonkey.gif

Not the best implementation, but I think you can see what I'm getting at. Adding digital buttons/functions around the space of physical controls. Decorations, visual cues, all kinds of stuff could animate in and out by being context relative. Would be more useful with a complex game rather than a simple one like Mario Kart.

Nosgoroth

Alright, decided to explore this a little further and I made a quick little GIF. Didn't have time to animate the color-changing controls, and I agree that a 2:40:1 screen ratio would be better, but I couldn't find any video to fill out the screen space properly. So I just stuck with 16:9:

Not the best implementation, but I think you can see what I'm getting at. Adding digital buttons/functions around the space of physical controls. Decorations, visual cues, all kinds of stuff could animate in and out by being context relative. Would be more useful with a complex game rather than a simple one like Mario Kart.

I can't stop watching.

jackal27

Banned

Eyy yo. Imagine a Zelda game where each button is labeled ON THE SCREEN. That would be weird and somehow amazing.

Not sure if anyone has asked, but would it also be possible (if it looks like the screens posted above) that Nintendo could make it so the buttons could be moved around the screen in any position the user wants and then implement a lock on the side to hold the users button position style in place?

Seeing those buttons on top of the touch screen like that just seems like they would be open for movement.

Well, if Iwata was true to it's word it will be non wearable.

Probably is shaped like that to alocate some inputs, maybe a type of "Home" Button or the actual sensor (a IR camera) of the device.
Cool looking but not at all practical for actual use.
Not to mention these exact type of mock ups where done way back at the Wii U leaked specs XD

So we aren't threading new ground here with these.

Not sure if anyone has asked, but would it also be possible (if it looks like the screens posted above) that Nintendo could make it so the buttons could be moved around the screen in any position the user wants and then implement a lock on the side to hold the users button position style in place?

Seeing those buttons on top of the touch screen like that just seems like they would be open for movement.

The point of the screen is that it can have holes in it, so the buttons can physically poke through it. They'd be in fixed positions.

Unless you're talking about, I don't know, magnetically-attached buttons or something you could slide around, but that would be weird, messy, and subsequently not require holes in the display.

Edit: Unless you meant the touch-screen only buttons, which that's just a software thing.

One reason gaf was so bewildered by the information released about Nintendo's QOL stuff during that one investment meeting was that Iwata talked about viewing non-wearable stuff as potentially a more advanced solution than wearables, and targeting that idea. If they're still going with that, they may not release a wristband at all. One of the biggest benefits I can think of in my attempts to get their QoL non-wearables talk to make any sense is the idea that they view a device you only worry about for a few minutes a day then leave sitting at home as less of a hassle than one on you at all times. A fancy-screen accessory would ruin that.

aza

Well, this idea ended up intriguing me a lot more than I expected. So one last one just for fun, in 2.35:1 ratio:

Fgu3yq9.jpg

Basically, a bunch of digital button labels. Most interesting parts: a taunt indicator around the d-pad, and two rings around the analog stick to help you gauge whether you're tilting or smashing.

Well, this idea ended up intriguing me a lot more than I expected. So one last one just for fun, in 2.35:1 ratio:

Fgu3yq9.jpg

Basically, a bunch of digital button labels. Most interesting parts: a taunt indicator around the d-pad, and two rings around the analog stick to help you gauge whether you're tilting or smashing.

Wouldn't your thumb cover all the context sensitive labels though, rendering them useless?

aza

Wouldn't your thumb cover all the context sensitive labels though, rendering them useless?

Yeah, that's partly true. The way I see it, for a game like Smash, the button labels on the right side would really only be useful for casual gamers just getting accustomed to the game. For core gamers (who could probably memorize button configurations much more quickly), they'd basically just be there for decoration. What would be a bit more useful for everyone, though, for example is something like a context-relative pulsing indicator highlighting which button to press for a Final Smash.

As for the controls on the left side, I just looked at my 3DS and I found that my thumb would only cover the upper and left-most speech bubbles on the d-pad. Just lifting my thumb up really quickly would let me see through to them. As for the rings around the analog stick, I would be able to see them just fine, but obviously this depends on your thumb size. One potential workaround to this problem would be to change the color of the entire outer ring to yellow for tilt, and then red for smash.

So, yeah, like with smartphones, your hand blocking part of the screen can introduce a lot of problems. But I'm sure that they would all be solvable by setting and following simple "safe area" placement guides.

Button labels seem pointless, as you couldn't see them anyway. They may as well go with the GameCube style buttons that all had a different shape under your thumb if they are worried about that, since it's what they were designed for to begin with.

aza

Button labels seem pointless, as you couldn't see them anyway. They may as well go with the GameCube style buttons that all had a different shape under your thumb if they are worried about that, since it's what they were designed for to begin with.

Hmm, not sure what you mean. Do you mean to decorate the physical XABY buttons with digital GameCube button shapes underneath?

RomanceDawn

Fgu3yq9.jpg

Man I really want something like that. Would it really not be feasible? It just looks slick and so futuristic!

Mik317

are these button screen mockups made with the buttons being actual buttons or touchscreens?

because if it is the latter then...no pls. That is the biggest issue most have with mobile gaming as it is...

and hell if it is the former...your hands will be in the way of the screen most of the time...

it looks cool yes but wouldn't be fun to use and doesn't really add much to the experience so...why?

JoeM86

I don't like those mockups. I am firmly against covering up a part of the screen when playing a game. It's bad enough when using a touch screen, but with something like that? Hell no. It's a cool thing in theory, but in practicality it'd be horrific.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Prepare yourself for the 360DS :O

Dat clamshell donut design

qgnLzNG.jpg

The only way I'd be okay with this is if it was the bottom screen of a DS3, and the top screen didn't have buttons blocking the view. As the main screen, though? No way, that would be awful.

Daishogun

Keep in mind, these displays wouldn't be bezel-free, there is still some edge to them. Also doughnut shape implies doughnut shape, not a rectangle with holes missing? Don't get me wrong, a handheld like this would be sweet, at least for the novelty, but don't see it happening in reality tbh.

yurinka

Donuts for gaming, I bet they'll make cupcakes as DLC.

qgnLzNG.jpg

It would have the same problem than on-screen buttons in phones: you are hiding part of the action with your hands. Something that could be solved if they control the camera to make sure they keep the main action where the normal 3DS touch screen was. HUD can be placed in the top left and top right corners of the screen so there would me more space for the main action.

But in this case, using this donut tech you'd be able to make holes in the screen to place buttons and analogs so you'd have at least physical feedback of buttons and pad, something that sucks from phones.

Eyy yo. Imagine a Zelda game where each button is labeled ON THE SCREEN. That would be weird and somehow amazing.
This is exactly what I thought of! That would be so crazy!!!

edit: WHY are everyone saying its not feasible??? This is Nintendo we are talking about they will build the games around the design of the handheld. They could make that shit work! :D

nampad

Looks so unpractical and gimmicky, it might be true, lol.
It just raises the price enormously for something that doesn't really add anything to the experience. Yes, having some cues being shown at your fingertips is a nice gimmick but for that the hands actually cover a lot of the screen estate.

I don't like those mockups. I am firmly against covering up a part of the screen when playing a game. It's bad enough when using a touch screen, but with something like that? Hell no. It's a cool thing in theory, but in practicality it'd be horrific.

This a million times over. That would be just awful, and ruin any game you tried to put on it.

This wouldn't use a doughnut shaped screen though, it would use a flexible rectangular screen.

A doughnut shaped screen is like this but with a hole in the middle:
And you wouldn't want to wear anything like that on your wrist.

Orbis

This a million times over. That would be just awful, and ruin any game you tried to put on it.
What if the area you're covering with your hands was never there before though? They could use a wider aspect ratio so that the main 16:9 area of action is unobstructed. The same way that 16:9 TV content (in the past at least) had a 4:3 safe zone so that non-widescreen TVs did not miss anything important.

Personally I would rather just have a standard set up but it's always fun to consider radical ideas.

yurinka

10906445_847797738617038_64916959438331796_n.png

Wireless HDMI output to mirror the screen action optionally in TV too, 4G, bluetooth and latest wifi tech to online muliplayer and download stuff.

L and R physical buttons, the right analog would be as big as the left one. Dual OS (Android for apps & phone calls) and custom OS for device specific games.

Tegra X1 with 8GB RAM. VC to allow up to 3DS games in the portable side and up to selected Wii/WiiU games in the home console side.

Would be released in 2016/2017.

Game design wise, you'd only to control that the game camera keeps the important stuff inside the game action area (character, close enemies and hazards that may affect you soon), so the camera typically wouldn't be as close to the characters as it is in the mockup. Think like when 4:3 games are ported to 16:9 and they just the extra area to show an extra part of the background/scroll.

In the bottom side there would be both physical or in-screen touch buttons for Select, Start, Home buttons, that also could be in the side of the device to have more more game action area.

10906411_847797745283704_1425925499207158366_n.png

edit: I also did mockup of its charger/stand, that would be at the same time a grip with triggers:

There would be an accesory included in the box that would be a grip where you place the device to get better ergonomics,would add proper bumpers and triggers, extra battery, like the ones for PSP..

At the same time, it would act as charger and stand, like the one for the WiiU Gamepad.

10922372_847930431937102_367804158313453790_o.png

While charging its battery, how about to play in the tv through wireless HDMI using a WiiU Pro Controller?

10926433_847975658599246_8170976030760243646_n.png

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Fgu3yq9.jpg

That is intriguing, and I also think there are enough potentially interesting things it could bring to gameplay to warrant further consideration. Having a dynamic UI around the buttons is one obvious benefit, but it could also be interesting to explore certain mechanics built around the physical button having some form of actual presence in the virtual world beneath it. So that in some cases, like certain dungeon puzzles in a Zelda game, pushing the button would be akin to pressing down on an obelisk from a top down view, or making ripples in a pool of water surrounding the button, etc.

People dismissing it are kind of reacting similarly to how people initially reacted to the DS and Wii U. Having more screen gives you more options, not less. You can always think of it like a traditional DS bottom screen, and focus on the view in the center, and obviously most games would be designed to allow playing this way. But you could also, in other contexts, hold the device with just your thumbs and index fingers on the bezel, without touching the screen or buttons, and move it around using gyros. In those cases you'd benefit from a wide viewing angle and it would feel similar to a smartphone.

Arondight

I think the full screen would actually be nice only if the game was designed around a parameter of a box as if there wasn't any touch screen. That way, the controls wouldn't hinder the visual aspect of the screen as you'll focus more towards the centre. The extra screen would just give more visual feedback on the environments shown. Something like the above where the HUD is below the controls wouldn't work. If the HUD was above the controls, it'll actually be much better.

edit:

Wireless TV output to mirror the screen action optionally in TV too, 4G and latest wifi tech to online muliplayer and download stuff.

L and R physical buttons, the right analog would be as big as the left one. Custom Android based OS (phone calls, Android apps).

Much better representation.

Sify64

Wireless TV output to mirror the screen action optionally in TV too, 4G, bluetooth and latest wifi tech to online muliplayer and download stuff.

L and R physical buttons, the right analog would be as big as the left one. Dual OS (Android for apps & phone calls) and custom OS for device specific games.

8 core ARM + x64 APU with 8GB RAM. VC to allow up to 3DS games in the portable side and up to selected Wii/WiiU games in the home console side.

Would be released in 2016/2017.

Game design wise, you'd only to control that the game camera keeps the important stuff inside the game action area (character, close enemies and hazards that may affect you soon), so the camera typically wouldn't be as close to the characters as it is in the mockup. Think like when 4:3 games are ported to 16:9 and they just the extra area to show an extra part of the background/scroll.

In the bottom side there would be both physical or in-screen touch buttons for Select, Start, Home buttons, that also could be in the side of the device to have more more game action area.

That looks pretty good, I would actually be interested in buying it if it was real. More so, if I could also toggle the transparency of the HUD controls.

What if the area you're covering with your hands was never there before though? They could use a wider aspect ratio so that the main 16:9 area of action is unobstructed. The same way that 16:9 TV content (in the past at least) had a 4:3 safe zone so that non-widescreen TVs did not miss anything important.

Personally I would rather just have a standard set up but it's always fun to consider radical ideas.

That's the thing, this isn't a radical new idea.

This is exactly how thousands of games on tablets and smartphones already work, and it's utter bollocks. All this does is reduce the visible area even more by adding physical inputs.

I know this is crap, because I was using it less than an hour ago!

Melon Husk

This is brilliant.

Fgu3yq9.jpg

I like this format because it adjusts for the screen real estate being used by buttons, but they all look great. This looks as sleek and attractive as any cell phone on the market, which is probably why Nintendo would do it.

Purdy

People actually would want on screen controls? They seem to do nothing but hamper gameplay on anything that isn't slow paced on a phone/tablet

Zalman

We have to remember that no matter what they decide on, the handheld will likely have an NFC reader built-in somewhere.

Yagharek

Fgu3yq9.jpg

Can you do a mock up of this on something with the GBA form factor instead of a hand-cramping smartphone shape?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
People actually would want on screen controls? They seem to do nothing but hamper gameplay on anything that isn't slow paced on a phone/tablet

The difference being these are actual buttons. What do you lose from having the screen extend all the way to the left and right, compared to the current bottom screen of a DS?

Foshy

Yeah, I don't understand. The mockup certainly looks cool but it's really not practical.

Top Bottom