• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again information (3D Action, Shovel Knight confirmed)

mas8705

If Travis and Shovel Night aren't smash characters, I swear...

In fairness, alot of people were in hopes that Travis was going to be in Smash. Shovel Knight was slightly harder to make a case for at the time. That said though, people have been split on who the "Indie" rep should be: Shovel Knight or Shantae.

Honestly, I say "screw it!" and would add in all three if that were possible. Bonus points if you let Suda help to design a NMH stage and have songs from both games present.

Suda said he wants Travis to he playable with one joy con so he can be in Smash. Does he know something about the next Smash game?

It's fair to think Nintendo would want the characters to be playable with one joy con, but I think Suda said it because he knows that's what Nintendo is doing with the game.

Suda said he wants Travis to he playable with one joy con so he can be in Smash. Does he know something about the next Smash game?

It's fair to think Nintendo would want the characters to be playable with one joy con, but I think Suda said it because he knows that's what Nintendo is doing with the game.

Why would Nintendo care in any way? I don't think it's "fair to think". Nintendo isn't imposing anything

Why would Nintendo care in any way? I don't think it's "fair to think". Nintendo isn't imposing anything

Why would Nintendo care what? I said Nintendo may be designing the game for single joy con use. I never said Nintendo is imposing anything. I'm sure it was all in jest by Suda lol. Geez 😑

TheMoon

you're reading way too much into all of this.

edit:
Why would Nintendo care what? I said Nintendo may be designing the game for single joy con use. I never said Nintendo is imposing anything. I'm sure it was all in jest by Suda lol. Geez ��

yes this.

Why would Nintendo care what? I said Nintendo may be designing the game for single joy con use. I never said Nintendo is imposing anything. I'm sure it was all in jest by Suda lol. Geez 😑

I meant, all Smash games can technically be played with one joycon. After all Brawl was able to be played with 1 wiimote. I don't think Nintendo ever imposed it on Sakurai or the Smash team and I don't think Suda knows anything

I was wondering if the Death Drive console that was in the trailer will let us control the other indie protagonists. The Death Drive XXX was the game console you play on in Let It Die and you basically control your fighters through it. And as I mentioned before, Uncle Death would be hilarious if he is in, since he also is made by Grasshopper and has that same weird ass sense of humor.

Epcott

Speculate away!

Looks Neir-ish, but Neir isn't indie :(

Glad to see Travis back, I thought for sure a Shinobu sequel would be on the 3DS years ago, but nooope.

Not sure I'm crazy about the "Sucked into a game console" Captain N like plot. But Travis is back, so...

YAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSS!

Nmh 2 wrote out so many interesting elements of the original I'm actually glad they are retconing it out. Suda didn't direct it either and the name seems more fitting as the true successor.

Nmh 2 wrote out so many interesting elements of the original I'm actually glad they are retconing it out. Suda didn't direct it either and the name seems more fitting as the true successor.

Like what? It expanded on the commentary behind the series. Don't say exploring Santa Destroy, because the bike controlled like garbage and the framerate tanked like crazy

BBboy20

I love the NMH series and Suda'a work, but Travis Strikes Again sounds like a celebration of indie games rather than a celebration of NMH, not interested.
giphy.gif

I think the reason it's indie games is because Suda himself has said he always has felt more like an independent game creator, and indeed he got started years ago by doing things differently which caught attention in games where he was assigned to odd roles, famously having his break for writing a surprisingly deep story for a wrestling game, then making niche cult hits like the Twilight Syndrome series and Silver Case, becoming far more known for bizarre games like Killer7 and No More Heroes... I think he lost some motivation which is why he hasn't directly directed anything since the original No More Heroes because he wasn't big on the bigger game development scene, he's always seemed more interested in being more free to create his own bizarre things rather than rise in the ranks and be assigned to bigger projects. However, if you listen to him talk about him and gaming in recent years almost all of his favorite games of the last several years have been indie game titles, and I think the reason why he's back to direct and No More Heroes in the form of it being in some ways a celebration of indie games is because he's been loving the indie game scene himself and found himself motivated to do something in that space. I'm guessing the reason for his return and the first thing he's doing is something No More Heroes related again is to show he's back, he's working on something he loves, and to give the whole indie scene he's been loving a chance to be part of a project of his I think he finds fun to direct.

It's just my theory, not directly said, but I think him not directing anything for 10 years, his expressed love of the indie game scene, the sorts of things he did direct when he was directing, and what No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again turned out to be are all very telling.

I'm just amazed at the idea of No More Heroes turning into its own pseudo, stylish, and more violent take of something a bit like Kingdom Hearts but for indie video games.
The previous theory was that he became distracted in keeping Grasshopper in shape. Maybe there is still truth to this.

As much as I love Shovel Knight, can we stop putting him in every indie game out there?
Shovel Knight is love; Shovel Knight is life.

This feels like the Monster Hunter World announcement all over again. People give me headaches with their unnecessary mental gymnastics sometimes
Grasshopper didn't make a Resident Evil 6 nor bungled a Dead Rising (or got caught in putting DLC in a disc).

How pathetic.

Just like how Inferno here is excited for this game having learnt that Shovel Knight and Hotline Miami are going to be part of it.

I am allowed to be dissatisfied of the idea that No More Heroes needs to cling onto separate popular intellectual properties to get its next game going, I don't see why that is so hard to understand.
No More Heroes isn't some holy doctrine on how to make a video game. It's something that goes with it's own flow to be what it wants to be.

Also: come on, "clinging"?

Speculate away!
"It's so badd".

13ruce

Banned
Just watched all boss fights + cutscenes from the previous games and well day one on Switch never played em before but that was awesome AF.

Revven

Glad to hear it'll be the typical 3D action gameplay NMH is known for (not that I doubted it) and the idea of this whole thing will really let Suda go wild with the worlds Travis will be going into.

Kinda making me want to replay NMH1 & NMH2 but I think I'll be holding off until closer until this game comes out. Would be really cool of them to do a HD collection of NMH1 & 2, though (of course the ORIGINAL NMH1 and not the completely botched Heroes' Paradise release that has screen tearing and everything...)

However, I doubt that's happening.

cj_iwakura

Every time I replay NMH1 I love it a little more. Sadly, the opposite happens with 2. It has its charms, but not half as much as 1.

So that orb depicted in the key art on the last page

Travis has a new scar across his left eye.

Is that a prosthetic eye?

Or is it a Death Drive game 'orb'?

Like what? It expanded on the commentary behind the series. Don't say exploring Santa Destroy, because the bike controlled like garbage and the framerate tanked like crazy
the entire twist of the original game where the organization didn't exist and it was just a woman fucking with people. Hell the entire ending of the original was pretty much written out.
While it expanded commentary it also failed as a piece of media. That mech fight for example ruined the tone and atmosphere of what the original did so well.

Like I'm not saying nmh 2 didn't have anything to offer but for me it felt like a step back. The only thing for me personally that felt of real value was Kimmy, toneally it's the closest thing to the feel of the original.

Is there any proof NMH2 is being retconed?
Now it's not official and it's my reading of it but saying this takes place after 1 with no mention of 2 kinda says to me suda is continuing where he left off.

I don't think many games touch the stylish design of NMH1. Just the way the world is, the way you're introduced in to your next opponent and things like that are some of my favorite little touches in gaming. NMH2 got rid of most of it all and just felt soulless to me. Didn't really enjoy it as much.

Pumped to see what comes of this all.

the entire twist of the original game where the organization didn't exist and it was just a woman fucking with people. Hell the entire ending of the original was pretty much written out.
While it expanded commentary it also failed as a piece of media. That mech fight for example ruined the tone and atmosphere of what the original did so well.

Like I'm not saying nmh 2 didn't have anything to offer but for me it felt like a step back. The only thing for me personally that felt of real value was Kimmy, toneally it's the closest thing to the feel of the original.
tmk10s9j.gif

Epcott

I hoooope we get to jerk off a joycon to recharge Beam Katana.

But if he didn't like Desperate Struggle, I suppose if the mechanic returns, the red smiley flaccid icon wont return (since the first didn't have it) 🙁

Also, this recent talk makes me want to pick up an art book for the 2 games. The boss designs are amazing.

Now it's not official and it's my reading of it but saying this takes place after 1 with no mention of 2 kinda says to me suda is continuing where he left off.
Not to mention how 2 completely lost the point that Travis is a psycho loser and a damning indictment of the kind of anti-social male nerd that goes all in on the toxic masculinity and mindless power fantasies, blaming everyone for his own self-made problems and treating women just as opportunities to get laid. Like Heroes' Paradise had shit like overly sexualizing all the female characters and Shinobu wanting Travis' dick in 2 is just awful just for starters.

Meesh

Is the voice actor for Travis, Steve Blum? Tell me it's Steve Blum of Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Beebop fame!!

It's been awhile since I played it but I remember liking 2 because it actually started to let Travis grow up. If just a little. He doesn't WANT Shinobu hitting on him. He actually realizes how pointless the assasin fights are.

Like yeah it defiantly has rough patches
I agree that not addressing the UAA hoax plot point was dumb and he should not have hooked up with Sylvia.

But I still appreciate what it was trying to do.

Ya'all wanna help me tweet to Suda to get HD remasters of NMH1 and 2 on Switch? Would be amazing! Suda could build off the hd ps3 version for the first game and enhance it, as well as include heavenly star from the Wii version.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Man, Travis borrowed a jacket from Garcia Hotspur.

I'm happy I'm not the only one who see's this. It's not 100% the same jacket, but it looks REALLY close to the jacket Garcia wore in Shadows of the Damned. It even has some of the same details that jacket had.

(I'm sad there will never be a Shadows of the Damned 2...)

cj_iwakura

I'm happy I'm not the only one who see's this. It's not 100% the same jacket, but it looks REALLY close to the jacket Garcia wore in Shadows of the Damned. It even has some of the same details that jacket had.

(I'm sad there will never be a Shadows of the Damned 2...)

We're lucky we got the first one, if you know about the hell Suda went through to get that game made.

I love NMH 1&2 about equally. They are 2 sides of the same coin. One is the things I love about 2 is how much it subverts elements of the first game.

Top Bottom