• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not only are handhelds done for, CNET writer doesn't think Vita will come out in NA

I feel really similarly. I know it's a "full featured game" but seriously, that price is out of control. I feel the same way about Uncharted. Cost vs. Value. Handheld gaming is supposed to be more affordable. These games should not cost as much as a console game, regardless of the production value.

I mean, I can buy Dead Space on the iPhone. It's like what, 5 bucks? SMH.

Pokémon Black / White sold 14 million units at what price? 40 euros AT LEAST in Europe, 4800 yen in Japan and 35 $ in North America.

Medalion

Banned
360 is next-gen but Wii U isn't.

More details as they develop!

360 is more next-gen than Wii-U

360 has a better online system and storage capacity hard drive

Until Wii-U details say otherwise, 360 still beats Wii-U there, it's not all about graphic fidelity

Yeah, i dont care one bit about it if people use it public. The reason why dont have any plans to use it in public is because i travel very little.
Fair enough. When I travel I use my PSP a lot, or when waiting in lines at anime conventions and gaming events.

Anyway, I really cannot believe writers are going this far w/ articles. I wonder if they saw the PS Blog posting of SCEA outlining Vita launch games and stuff (who really knows).

okenny

Banned
Looks like several of SONY's competitors have given money hats to the media...

This! Microsoft is one of the biggest offenders. How many hundreds of millions did they make public that they paid to keep bluray down... how much more do you think they paid in dark board rooms?! It's not a conspiricy... its fact. It's fucking criminal is what it is!

Yagharek

iOS gaming is fine, what's wrong are hyperventilating, hyperbolic industry pundits/writers who can't recognise that smartphone gaming comes with its own set of limitations.

Not all videogame experiences are suited to a smartphone, just like not all videogame experiences are suited to the Wii remote or Kinect. Dedicated handhelds have a place in providing content that can't be realised, or realised well, on a smartphone.

Exactly. Just because its popular doesn't mean everything else needs to be the same. Unfortunately, iZealots in the media can't recognise this.

BurntPork

Banned

Until Wii-U details say otherwise, 360 still beats Wii-U there, it's not all about graphic fidelity

Except for the fact that you can buy enormous hard drives for Wii U while you're limited to 250GB on 360 unless you resort to unofficial means...

One million in three days in Wales.

Is that an iPhone figure?

Codeblue

I am Gen X because I wear flannel and watch MTV despite being born a Millenial. Does that make sense? Of course it doesn't.

You can talk about what's underpowered or whatever but it doesn't have anything to do with generations because they refer to time periods.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'll buy a Vita on launch, and love it, I'm sure, as it dies a fast and painful death, just like my Dreamcast.

I own a PSP and a DS for years. I could probably count the number of times I've played the things outside my house without having to take off my shoes.

I play something on my iPhone daily, where ever I'm at.. maybe (actually probably) it's yahtzee and Orions 2. I play them in spurts, but they serve their purpose of something to actually play on the go.

I have zero use for something like the Vita, and sadly I'm sure most people will view it the same way. I just think most people who have an iPad/Android/iPhone just don't find it worthwhile to have another device that overlaps with a device they have, even if it's superior for gaming. I just don't think there's enough of "me" types who will still buy it anyhow.

Dartastic

But would you have been able to buy this Dead Space port had the console version never existed? And even the dedicated handheld versions of game before they hit iOS at a cheaper price point. Subsidization occurs.
No, but I was making the comparison between Resident Evil Revelations and Dead Space. Similar games. Completely different pricing.
Pokémon Black / White sold 14 million units at what price? 40 euros AT LEAST in Europe, 4800 yen in Japan and 35 $ in North America.
$35 does not = $50.

Takao

Banned
fixed

on side note, I take my psp/3ds out pretty often in public places.
I'm either at home/work/out and about playing it.

oh no won't you think of what random strangers will think of you?

they'll think you're an 8 year old playing the pokemans do you want to be an 8 year old playing the pokemans?

I mean, I can buy Dead Space on the iPhone. It's like what, 5 bucks? SMH.

It was $5 on PC the other day. What does that matter? Depending on the platform the titles can be completely different beasts.

This is stupid, I buy all the handheld consoles at launch and I'm definitely in the iOS crowd as well.
I think iOS crowd is shorthand for the trolls not for the regular people who understand that each platform has their spots in our lives.

Dartastic

It was $5 on PC the other day. What does that matter? Depending on the platform the titles can be completely different beasts.

I think iOS crowd is shorthand for the trolls not for the regular people who understand that each platform has their spots in our lives.
We're not talking about the original game that was released years earlier, sale prices, or any crap like that. We're talking day one, full price games. We're also talking about mobile games, and I don't understand why MULTIPLE people have now missed that point. This whole damn thread is about handhelds. Ugh.

Dead Space on iPhone was at most, 10 bucks when it was released. I've only played the demo of RE:R, but in terms of the type of gameplay that it offers, it's the same as Dead Space. Most people that have played Dead Space on the iPhone will agree, it's a pretty fantastic game. Why would someone pay 50 for a 3DS game over an 8 (if I remember correctly, that was the release price) dollar iPhone game that offers a very similar value proposition?

The main point is, $50 dollar portable games just won't work. I honestly believe that RE:R and other portable games at this price point will not sell as well as they should exclusively because of price. I don't think that gaming companies can justify these price points on handheld systems with consumers.

If smartphones (games + more) is going to kill the dedicated handheld gaming market why didn't the PC (games + more) kill the dedicated console gaming as many previously predicted?

Dartastic

If smartphones (games + more) is going to kill the dedicated handheld gaming market why didn't the PC (games + more) kill the dedicated console gaming as many previously predicted?
Entry pricing. Ease of use and access. Compatibility. Constant updates. Many more reasons.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Wonder what would happen on GAF if these prediction do come true?

I mean Guru Meditation Error 503 will be least of GAF's problem lol

I await our iOS overlord, Hail JOBS!, Hail Cupertino!

Dartastic

All of these are issues smart phones suffer.

Huh.
I completely disagree. Entry pricing on a PC was and is WAY higher than it is to buy a smart phone. Newest iPhone? $200, with a two year contract. Most people just renew, and even if they do they can sell their old phone as an unlocked phone for as much as they paid for it, making their new phone essentially free. New PC? At least $700, if you want to game on it. Depends on your old components. Compatibility is restricted to two or three models on an iPhone, where on a PC you have almost infinite build types. Android is a different story, but iPhone games are still huge enough. Updates on a phone are irrelevant, as you kinda gotta do em eventually, but more importantly they don't change your phone's performance. Additionally, the infrastructure is in place now to make updating not a big deal.

Takao

Banned
I completely disagree. Entry pricing on a PC was and is WAY higher than it is to buy a smart phone. Newest iPhone? $200, with a two year contract. Most people just renew, and even if they do they can sell their old phone as an unlocked phone for as much as they paid for it, making their new phone essentially free. New PC? At least $700, if you want to game on it. Depends on your old components. Compatibility is restricted to two or three models on an iPhone, where on a PC you have almost infinite build types. Android is a different story, but iPhone games are still huge enough. Updates on a phone are irrelevant, as you kinda gotta do em eventually, but more importantly they don't change your phone's performance. Additionally, the infrastructure is in place now to make updating not a big deal.

From what I've heard that isn't true. Older iPhones and iPod Touches basically hit slow down central once iOS5 came around. I also was referring to hardware refreshes as updates. Annual phones are very analogous to the CPU/GPU refreshes PCs get. There's always a changing landscape and you're guaranteed to be behind the curve if you don't pick up the newest refresh versus the static 1 purchase you need for a console or a handheld.

I also don't really care what most people do, since most people don't even play on PC. But since we're comparing what not everyone does, the list MSRP for the average smart phone is actually that of a decent PC well above what the average handheld costs.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I completely disagree. Entry pricing on a PC was and is WAY higher than it is to buy a smart phone. Newest iPhone? $200, with a two year contract.
At that point you've agreed to pay $2096 just to get the phone. A capable gaming rig doesn't cost that much.

PKrockin

lol. I think Steam-GAF may want to have a word with you about that. I'm no PC gamer but I'm pretty sure you can get a midrange LAPTOP for like $450, easily.

DarkFlow

Banned
You guys know they are just pulling shit out of there ass right. Even they will be the first to admit they don't believe this. They are just making crazy shit up as a prediction. Later in the year they will eat crow and laugh about how wrong they were.

Row

Banned
lol. I think Steam-GAF may want to have a word with you about that. I'm no PC gamer but I'm pretty sure you can get a midrange LAPTOP for like $450, easily.

assuming mid range = 4GB ram and non-integrated graphics, that wouldn't be easy

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
At that point you've agreed to pay $2096 just to get the phone. A capable gaming rig doesn't cost that much.

Bad argument, as most people are going to pay for a cell phone anyway for, you know, the phone function. It's a cost most people look at the same as rent/utilities/gas/internet.. part of life you just have to pay.

-MB-

Bad argument, as most people are going to pay for a cell phone anyway for, you know, the phone function. It's a cost most people look at the same as rent/utilities/gas/internet.. part of life you just have to pay.

Problem is people get these phones on the most expensive plans, which are way beyond what is needed as part of normal life.

360 is next-gen but Wii U isn't.

More details as they develop!

I know you're joking but if the next Xbox and Playstation don't release in 2012 (doubt it) then I'd consider Wii U like in between this gen and next-gen based on its rumored hardware specs. That's just me.

You guys know they are just pulling shit out of there ass right. Even they will be the first to admit they don't believe this. They are just making crazy shit up as a prediction. Later in the year they will eat crow and laugh about how wrong they were.

And nobody would care except a small contingent of Gaffers.

BurntPork

Banned
I know you're joking but if the next Xbox and Playstation don't release in 2012 (doubt it) then I'd consider Wii U like in between this gen and next-gen based on its rumored hardware specs. That's just me.

There's no such thing as an "in between" gen, and specs don't determine generation.

PKrockin

Couldn't you say basically the same thing about computers? :p

Top Bottom