• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not only are handhelds done for, CNET writer doesn't think Vita will come out in NA

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
If anything I would expect more specialized mobile devices in the future. In 10 years people will use driver-less cars to commute to work. It will make suburbs even more attractive (lower cost, less pollution for kids, commute isn't a big deal if it's automated and you're eating/working/entertaining). People will probably have tablets for work/play, some will have handheld specialized consoles, and some will just get by with a watered down smart phone version of these functions.

goodone.gif

M-PG71C

LOL! Well that was just fucking stupid. You know, these people are consistently and constantly wrong. I don't understand how they keep their jobs or maintain some level of integrity.

Oh wait, they're trolling for hits. :/

Yagharek

At least now Vita gamers know what it feels like to be a fan of Nintendo portables. Get ready to hear the same bullshit claims time and time again, peoples.

Takao

Banned
Damn, pretty interesting. Hope this pans out like they want. And that android game apps pick up steam.

I see a lot of creative stuff on iOS. I personally think, with both the touchscreen and the buttons/d-pad, so much more could be done with these already creative design.

I hope the Vita succeeds is what I hope, to allow this.

Yeah, they've demoed some cool things with Suite. At GDC Online (click "Demo") they showcased the same code being run on an Xperia Play, Vita, and Sony Tablet.

Eric C

Well of course the NA launch of Vita is now cancelled, Sony finally realized the Vita is DOOOMED.

lol

The hell!!!! What is gamestop gonna do with my preorder money!!!

Don't worry GameStop will probably give you credit towards one of those Android tablets they are selling, it will come with Sonic CD pre-installed.

Fusebox

Banned
I think a lot of people who buy all consoles at launch like I do, but who got burned by the 3DS launch like I did, are a LOT more hesitant to grab Vita on launch day.

I still think it wil launch, but it won't be setting any records that's for sure.

Medalion

Banned
Not arguing Wii U isn't a next-gen platform by the time it releases

but Vita not coming to NA is the dumbest thing I ever heard

Eusis

but Vita not coming to NA is the dumbest thing I ever heard
In context... honestly it came off less as ridiculous doom crying and more like what someone who doesn't seriously follow video games would say, and if she's more focused on the rest of the tech field I can definitely see why she could come to that conclusion. Anyone who SERIOUSLY follows games though would be nuts to say that, things are too far along and they'd be blue balling retailers/publishers in a manner that would end up more catastrophic than the Saturn's early launch.

okenny

Banned
I really feel for Sony... What else can they do but release the Vita/ No one knows better than Sony that the Vita was sent to die but can you blame them? They make electronic products and entertainment. They have to keep pushing forward the only way they know how even if it means death. Nothing last forever. The real tragedy here is that Sony's death has been and will continue to be a long painful one. Everyone believed that Sony was the stuff of magic, the athlete that would run faster, throw harder, shoot furthest than anyone else. It seems however that no one bought Sony's hype harder than Sony itself. It looked into time and was accidentally hypnotized by her own reflection. Sony's limbs have been failing slowly, one by one, after each has crossed an apex, to never recover as if a sports star retires after a championship. [It seems I've wrapped this analogy into itself. I better stop ;_;] Anyway's... Sony is dying! It happened with their media business, it happened with their portable player business, it happening with their music business, and it's happening with their game business. Its a tragic company and instead of some fine members of GAF nudging it forward with empty words of encouragement and blind faith, they need to show it proper respect and take it behind the forum and empty a few clips into its miserable living corpse.

From what I can tell, the iOS crowd is (largely) a bunch of people who wouldn't/didn't play games until iOS and the sexiness of the iPhone made it socially acceptable (in their own mind). Or, they're adult geeks who did play games, but have that "Imma grownup now" syndrome and feel using a device beneath their tier of sophistication is unseemly.

Based on some folks I've actually talked to, and challenged about the attitude, I get a sneaking suspicion that in the case of the latter - people who used to play games and now just use iOS - it's partly a symptom of their own lifestyle being unmanageable. The smartphone and tablet have become the lifestyle accessories du jour among the highly stressed, everbusy technologist. They just don't have time (or won't make it) to do things that aren't "productive", like play games. iOS devices are great excuses to the technology workaholic, to dabble with entertainment while also "working".

The problem with the entire thing is that the biggest proponents of the mobile phenomenon seem to largely live inside a bubble of like minds and have little concern for what goes on outside it. Some appear to think that the people in their bubble represent the majority, or the only demographic that matters.

Perhaps there's a lesson here. iOS boosters look as silly to hardcore gamers, as the hardcore have looked for the last few years regarding the Wii. Hardcore predict Nintendoom every year because Wii has bad online, graphics 4 babby, and Mario Kart iz not cool like Gran Turismo, which is not babby game. Wii keeps selling, Mario Kart becomes biggest selling racing game of the generation, etc etc.

Real talk. Oddly enough, it's slowing the maturation of the platforms with all this happening.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
In context... honestly it came off less as ridiculous doom crying and more like what someone who doesn't seriously follow video games would say, and if she's more focused on the rest of the tech field I can definitely see why she could come to that conclusion. Anyone who SERIOUSLY follows games though would be nuts to say that, things are too far along and they'd be blue balling retailers/publishers in a manner that would end up more catastrophic than the Saturn's early launch.

yeah. many tech journalists/bloggers/podcasters/etc. treat the game industry like the tech industry, when they're still pretty mutually exclusive in how they operate and how their histories have shown how they operate. It happens, but these people have no interest in learning, either.

watershed

Banned
Everyone's getting on the doom train!

Sony should just pack up at this point. No point in trying to fight these expert analysts.

Seriously. There is an epic amount of stupidity in this thread.

Personally, in all my arguments against iOS, it's never been about the variety or production value of these games - those are fine. It's been about a lack of buttons; a lack of tangible, good old fashioned "presses" that yield an immediate response.

Replacing those button presses with taps and swipes on a flat surface is not good enough, especially when you seemingly design a game around a classic "button and d-pad" control scheme, then place these overlays on the screen for me to "touch" as if telling me "hey, this game would be so awesome if these were actual buttons, huh?!"

Curufinwe

Hey, my post from the other Vita thread got its own thread.

Not to be the Molly defense force, but she is typically on point. She is just way out of her lane talking about the game industry - I really don't think she knows that much about it and would have been better off not commenting.

This is accurate. I listen to the Buzz Out Loud podcast for tech news, but they are clueless when it comes to anything to do with videogames.

spwolf

I sometimes wonder if Apple is just buying these people off, or they really think the iDevice is the holy grail of gaming. Or maybe they are really that desperate for hits. I mean, who visits cnet?

it is just positive marketing... my friend told me recently that everyone in US uses OSX now. Which is obviously not true... like really not true :).

tuffy

Replacing those button presses with taps and swipes on a flat surface is not good enough, especially when you seemingly design a game around a classic "button and d-pad" control scheme, then place these overlays on the screen for me to "touch" as if telling me "hey, this game would be so awesome if these were actual buttons, huh?!"
Video Games Under Glass is not the future of interface design.

Shigeru Miyamoto said:
To me, the utmost concern is how we can create games for dedicated game machines that are unique enough so that they can never be reproduced on any other devices.

I believe as time goes by, the kinds of games people are expecting on smartphones are going to be largely different from what games people are expecting from the dedicated video game machines.

I recently purchased a smartphone and tried several games myself, but I just have not been able to find any games so far that I particularly like.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_...contracostatimes.com-www.contracostatimes.com

tranciful

Video Games Under Glass is not the future of interface design.
Until we can have a physical material that can quickly morph into different shapes and mechanical functionality, I don't think there's much hope for the fantasy described in that article. I just skimmed the article, but it seemed to ignore the reason glass surfaces are so popular today: the number of different practical applications a glass touch screen can be used for is unmatched.

The iPhone is a jack of all trades device -- extremely convenient, extremely useful. My iPhone takes the place of countless dedicated devices. Right now, the alternative (carrying around dozens of dedicated objects) is simply unsatisfactory.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Nothing against San Francisco, but if CNet is any indication, they seem to be isolated from the rest of the world, certainly the rest of the country. This isn't the first time CNet has predicted something totally off the wall like this.

angelfly

Really despressing to to see these doom articles every day. While I have enjoyed a few iOS game like Infinity Blade, Cut the Rope, Gamedev Story, and Tiny Tower they only kept me interested for a few days and after that I was back to my dedicated handhelds. An iOS handheld gaming future is not one I care to be part of.

Top Bottom