• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not only are handhelds done for, CNET writer doesn't think Vita will come out in NA

neptunes

Love how everyone thinks iOS is just Words with Friends and Angry Birds. Their's more good titles on iOS than 3DS and Vita combined.
I don't think anyone here came out and even hinted as such. Besides, the 3DS came out in February and the Vita just two weeks ago. Why wouldn't there be more quality titles on iOS? It has been out longer.

demolitio

Love how everyone thinks iOS is just Words with Friends and Angry Birds. Their's more good titles on iOS than 3DS and Vita combined.

No way! More good titles than two NEW handhelds!?!?!?

Your generalization is admirable since no one said there's only two good games, but they're different types of games than the ones you find on handhelds. Like it was said above, they both have their strengths and weaknesses but appeal to different gamers.

Next you'll tell us how iOS has more good games than the PS4 and Xbox 3 combined as soon as their launch titles are announced...

canvee

So, after being proven wrong by the 3DS, everyone who predicted the doom of all handhelds is just moving on to the Vita. Expected. I look forward to the goalposts moving once again after the Vita is successful.

Exactly. Why are they choosing to ignore 3ds's new found success. Even in the U.S, November was a moderate success for 3ds and I expect December should be much bigger. Obviously, ignoring 3ds and focusing on Vita's problems helps them further their "handhelds are doomed" narrative.

Manus

No way! More good titles than two NEW handhelds!?!?!?

Your generalization is admirable since no one said there's only two good games, but they're different types of games than the ones you find on handhelds. Like it was said above, they both have their strengths and weaknesses but appeal to different gamers.

Next you'll tell us how iOS has more good games than the PS4 and Xbox 3 combined as soon as their launch titles are announced...

Well my statement will still be true by the end of 2012. iOS gaming is just now getting going and their is already so many gem titles and for half the cost of other handheld games.

demolitio

Exactly. Why are they choosing to ignore 3ds's new found success. Even in the U.S, November was a moderate success for 3ds and I expect December should be much bigger. Obviously, ignoring 3ds and focusing on Vita's problems helps them further their "handhelds are doomed" narrative.

It's the new thing to do. Negativity breeds more press than positivity and now these sites are learning that just as the news networks did.

To me, it's way too early to write the Vita off one way OR the other, but people jumping the gun saying it's dead due to mobile gaming is quite the jump since they're two different markets doing two different things. Apparently markets can't coexist with success for both so everyone is taking sides as if they have money on one side or the other. I feel like we need to have bets in place with odds and everything on here since so many people seem to want to go all in on either side.

jwhit28

iOS games remind me of these things

10000-games-1_image_0.355x355.jpg

I much rather have one quality game for the same price.

demolitio

Well my statement will still be true by the end of 2012. iOS gaming is just now getting going and their is already so many gem titles and for half the cost of other handheld games.

So handhelds that have longer development times won't have as many good games as iOS where it's already been established and doesn't take nearly as long to develop for unless it's a bigger game like Infinity Blade 2? Who knew!?! It's still an insanely obvious statement since no one expects differently, but I guess quality is subjective anyway.

I still don't get why two markets can't exist. I don't exactly expect to play decent shooters with touchscreen controls. Do I play games on my phone? Yes...Will they replace my love for full games with good controls? Hell no.

Why can't they both exist and why must people take sides like there's something to gain? Two markets that do intersect, but is still largely different.

Maybe I win because I can do both and have fun without having some bullshit loyalty to one side and proclaim the other dead before it's even fucking out.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So, after being proven wrong by the 3DS, everyone who predicted the doom of all handhelds is just moving on to the Vita. Expected. I look forward to the goalposts moving once again after the Vita is successful.

I don't think it was doom, but an acknowledgement that the market has changed. For the first time Nintendo released a handheld that sat on shelves, and Nintendo was forced to make uncharacteristic moves . No doubt Vita was going to be next in line, and now that we've seen the system completely fall off the sales chart in it's second week of release during the holiday season of all times, it certainly doesn't look good.

With the 3DS it was only a matter of time before the system took off, because Nintendo has what Next Generation magazine referred to years ago as a "knockout punch". Franchises that can move millions of units, and sell systems. They have numerous knockout punches.

With Vita you can't just say things will improve when game "x" releases, because Sony doesn't have that franchise that's going to push systems out the door. To make matters worse they're now the pricier entry, and that's with them admitting they're taking a loss. The wiggle room isn't there unless they want to go deeper into the hole.

I hope they find success, but for now it looks like it's going to be another PSP, which isn't good enough for me. I'm going to need to see interest from consumers other than videogame message board posters and Gamestop employees, and it just doesn't seem to be there.

God, why can't iOS and traditional handhelds co-exist. I don't want all handheld gaming to be confined to smart phones. Those things have some major limitations to me (as do traditional handhelds).

And yea, stupid cnet, haha. I haven't even thought of that site in years. Guess this thread has given them mindshare. Their plan is working!

patsu

If PSP Go made it to US shores, Vita will do so easily. Their fate is another story altogether, depends on what Sony does post launch.

Manus

So handhelds that have longer development times won't have as many good games as iOS where it's already been established and doesn't take nearly as long to develop for unless it's a bigger game like Infinity Blade 2? Who knew!?! It's still an insanely obvious statement since no one expects differently, but I guess quality is subjective anyway.

I still don't get why two markets can't exist. I don't exactly expect to play decent shooters with touchscreen controls. Do I play games on my phone? Yes...Will they replace my love for full games with good controls? Hell no.

Why can't they both exist and why must people take sides like there's something to gain? Two markets that do intersect, but is still largely different.

Maybe I win because I can do both and have fun without having some bullshit loyalty to one side and proclaim the other dead before it's even fucking out.

Oh I agree, hell I have a Vita on preorder. I just hate how everyone discredits iOS gaming like it has no good games.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God, why can't iOS and traditional handhelds co-exist. I don't want all handheld gaming to be confined to smart phones. Those things have some major limitations to me (as do traditional handhelds).

And yea, stupid cnet, haha. I haven't even thought of that site in years. Guess this thread has given them mindshare. Their plan is working!

Because the iOS crowd seems to have some hatred for handhelds and wants them to die. No clue why. But until the damn thing has buttons I can't see it as a real game device. Slide controlls only feels so mini game like and only a few things can pull it off properly to where it doesn't feel like it. and no having my thumbs all over the screen to use "virtual buttons" is not a good fucking way to make games control. I don't slap my hands across my pc screen to play games. I hate the entire idea of blocking the screen to use it as a control input.

FStop7

Banned
haha, thizzzz iz zooo goood, zooo goooood.

WTF is this shit man, I mean, seriously what's wrong with them?!

Molly Wood, Tech Interests:

ah, what?!

She hates DRM and regularly blasts companies for using it, particularly when it breaks usefulness for paying customers.

These "journalists" have to do something to earn their latest freebie iGadget and invite to the next Apple love-in.

She doesn't like Apple because of their strongarm tactics.

Not to be the Molly defense force, but she is typically on point. She is just way out of her lane talking about the game industry - I really don't think she knows that much about it and would have been better off not commenting.

canvee

i always find it amusing how we get these terrible yet predictable doom and gloom articles yet we get the same people getting offended and attacking iOS gaming.

cut it out guys, iOS gaming is fun and stuff.

I've never attacked IOS gaming, but I do have a problem with these types of articles. I swear they read like they are written by people who don't even follow the console industry. And by follow I mean, they never gave two shits about console gaming even before the mobile boom. Now they've found something to latch onto that they know will attract hits to their sites, but I guess that's how "journalism" works these days. These sites rarely give unbiased opinions towards consoles because they are not interested in them, and you can see that reflected in their users and comments sections (CNET, Engadget, Gizmodo etc). You get articles that start off with "I've long predicted the death of handhelds.." which then becomes a "I told you so article".

Kolgar

Amazing how people who can sound semi-intelligent when they write sound like total dumbasses when they talk.

I want my five minutes back.

whoops someone better inform sony that their Feb 22nd launch of Vita has been cancelled...guess they didnt get the memo

meanwhile the masses are going to be foaming at the mouth for the next bi-annual $400+ ipad/iphone release. all those unemployment checks must be spent on something, yea?

Because the iOS crowd seems to have some hatred for handhelds and wants them to die. No clue why. But until the damn thing has buttons I can't see it as a real game device. Slide controlls only feels so mini game like and only a few things can pull it off properly to where it doesn't feel like it. and no having my thumbs all over the screen to use "virtual buttons" is not a good fucking way to make games control. I don't slap my hands across my pc screen to play games. I hate the entire idea of blocking the screen to use it as a control input.

Yea, I don't get why some iOS guys want handhelds to fail. I don't get it. I love buttons and d-pads. That's why I will personally always love the handhelds (I have a touch as well).

There is something missing in the some the traditional genre games that appear on iOS to me (I for the most part hate the virtual d-pads and buttons). Sometimes when I am playing some games on my Touch, and my fingers are covering the screen all the time, and I can't see the graphics as much I would like, I sometimes find myself wishing I could be playing this game with buttons and a d-pad.

That said, of course there are some awesome iOS games.

I wish Sony would get smart, retool their PSPMini program or something, and create a different cost/value environment besides the big retail releases, so some of the cheaper iOS games can be ported over, or peopel can create some original, smaller scale stuff, where they have access to both a touch screen and buttons/d-pads. Some cool stuff could come of that.

Brannon

The more panic and worry there is around the Vita, the greater chance that Sony will drop the price sooner than anticipated.

WE NEED MORE FUD

Tellaerin

I hope they find success, but for now it looks like it's going to be another PSP, which isn't good enough for me. I'm going to need to see interest from consumers other than videogame message board posters and Gamestop employees, and it just doesn't seem to be there.

Are you an investor?

Serious question. If you are, it puts that statement into perspective. If not, I'd really like to know why a success on the level of the PSP (that is, 'not the market leader, but decently supported, with a solid library and a fair number of quality titles') wouldn't be 'good enough for you'. I hope you're not trying to play the 'PSP has no games' card here. :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That said, of course there are some awesome iOS games.

I wish Sony would get smart, retool their PSPMini program or something, and create a different cost/value environment besides the big retail releases, so some of the cheaper iOS can be ported over, or peopel can create some original, smaller scale stuff, where they have access to both a touch screen and buttons/d-pads. Some cool stuff could come of that.

I agree 100%

And the plans for Vita are not fully out to us and such, but if they did something like that it would be amazing. Guess we will just have to wait and see what comes of it. But there could be some really awesome things using that set up. That one black and white puzzle game looks AMAZING *but that doesn't use the dpad I believe but the fact it has two touch areas* Things like that I'm ok with being touch screen based. But something like a metroid style game or say super meat boy... is just impossible with touch screen only.

But damn imagine a super meat boy type game, where you use the back touch area to push foward or move things in the area while you are doing all the crazy platforming.

i thought the recent sony & vita initiatives (cheap dev kits, erricsson mobile purchase) was meant to get cheaper mobile games and apps onto the Vita.....any more news on that front?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

From what I can tell, the iOS crowd is (largely) a bunch of people who wouldn't/didn't play games until iOS and the sexiness of the iPhone made it socially acceptable (in their own mind). Or, they're adult geeks who did play games, but have that "Imma grownup now" syndrome and feel using a device beneath their tier of sophistication is unseemly.

Based on some folks I've actually talked to, and challenged about the attitude, I get a sneaking suspicion that in the case of the latter - people who used to play games and now just use iOS - it's partly a symptom of their own lifestyle being unmanageable. The smartphone and tablet have become the lifestyle accessories du jour among the highly stressed, everbusy technologist. They just don't have time (or won't make it) to do things that aren't "productive", like play games. iOS devices are great excuses to the technology workaholic, to dabble with entertainment while also "working".

The problem with the entire thing is that the biggest proponents of the mobile phenomenon seem to largely live inside a bubble of like minds and have little concern for what goes on outside it. Some appear to think that the people in their bubble represent the majority, or the only demographic that matters.

Perhaps there's a lesson here. iOS boosters look as silly to hardcore gamers, as the hardcore have looked for the last few years regarding the Wii. Hardcore predict Nintendoom every year because Wii has bad online, graphics 4 babby, and Mario Kart iz not cool like Gran Turismo, which is not babby game. Wii keeps selling, Mario Kart becomes biggest selling racing game of the generation, etc etc.

NateDrake

Right. Because that guy is the target audience and he doesn't want a Vita or 3DS. Remember: One person can make a difference.

Kolgar

Good post, Kajima.

Until phones and tablets can deliver the in-depth game experiences of dedicated game players, there will always be a market for dedicated game players.

Takao

Banned
I wish Sony would get smart, retool their PSPMini program or something, and create a different cost/value environment besides the big retail releases, so some of the cheaper iOS games can be ported over, or peopel can create some original, smaller scale stuff, where they have access to both a touch screen and buttons/d-pads. Some cool stuff could come of that.

Welcome.

Chinner

Banned
judged using scientific testing methods of accuracy, my results show me that ios gamer are mostly people are really stupid or have really bad taste in games and they're ugly and fat and have no girlfriends and they're hipsters.

oppositely, people who play 3ds and vita are super handsome and strong and they cure cancer using their hearts and t hey're super smart and get lots of girls and they're really tall and got big penises.

NateDrake

judged using scientific testing methods of accuracy, my results show me that ios gamer are mostly people are really stupid or have really bad taste in games and they're ugly and fat and have no girlfriends and they're hipsters.

oppositely, people who play 3ds and vita are super handsome and strong and they cure cancer using their hearts and t hey're super smart and get lots of girls and they're really tall and got big penises.

So what you are saying is GAF is a super race of men & we are destined to rule the world?

Raonak

Banned
there are some touch games you can't replicate on controllers. and there are controller games you can't replicate on touchscreens (not enough inputs)
since vita and 3DS have touchscreens, they can have both.

Plus, vita will get the PS Suite, so you'll probably see android games on it.

ios games for the most part, suck. if only because of contorls :\
Any game that requires a virtual keypad of some sort is bad.

Are you an investor?

Serious question. If you are, it puts that statement into perspective. If not, I'd really like to know why a success on the level of the PSP (that is, 'not the market leader, but decently supported, with a solid library and a fair number of quality titles') wouldn't be 'good enough for you'. I hope you're not trying to play the 'PSP has no games' card here. :p

That assumes that Sony will be able to secure PSP-level third-party support, though. After their E3, Gamescom, and TGS showings, I'm guessing that they haven't been and won't be, but we'll see.

Chinner

Banned
Apple has another 10-15 before there done I bet too tho no company last forever and apple will not.
remember that saying 'what comes up must come down'? well apple are super successful at the moment but they're going to crash seeing as most users are swapping to windows 8/windows mobile and xbox.

Damn, pretty interesting. Hope this pans out like they want. And that android game apps pick up steam.

I see a lot of creative stuff on iOS. I personally think, with both the touchscreen and the buttons/d-pad, so much more could be done with these already creative design.

I hope the Vita succeeds is what I hope, to allow this.

Gravijah

remember that saying 'what comes up must come down'? well apple are super successful at the moment but they're going to crash seeing as most users are swapping to windows 8/windows mobile and xbox.

can't wait for humble microsoft to take down that evil giant apple.

Raonak

Banned
Apple has another 10-15 before there done I bet too tho no company last forever and apple will not.

Apple will die, but then get resseructed into a crazy religious cult... implying thats not what it is already. :O

Steve jobs will rise from the dead and remove the world of buttons.

Top Bottom