• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not only are handhelds done for, CNET writer doesn't think Vita will come out in NA

Erethian

iOS gaming is fine, what's wrong are hyperventilating, hyperbolic industry pundits/writers who can't recognise that smartphone gaming comes with its own set of limitations.

Not all videogame experiences are suited to a smartphone, just like not all videogame experiences are suited to the Wii remote or Kinect. Dedicated handhelds have a place in providing content that can't be realised, or realised well, on a smartphone.

Zyzyxxz

I can see it happening eventually. If not iOS then with Android together it will.

Maybe most people are in denial but as a gamer I find the appeal of portable gaming systems diminishing greatly nowadays as I'm quite happy with the games on Android and iOS. It has limitations so what? The main point of portable gaming for me is to enjoy free time when I am forced to wait. If I want the experience of console games I'd rather just play them on my console at home in my boxers on my giant plasma TV.

Sure they don't have controls but I don't look like a kid playing it rather if I pull out a 3DS I would probably be a bit embarrassed. Of course you will say who cares what other people think but I would ask in this day and age what average, mainstream citizen doesn't care?

Utako

Banned
The Vita shouldn't come out, but it will, and its thrashing on the way to a violent death will create annoying drama on the Internet.

Because iOS fans appear to be comprised of gamers and iOS haters don't have a lot of experience, just a huge capacity for anger, it is self-evident to whom 2012 will belong.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sure they don't have controls but I don't look like a kid playing it rather if I pull out a 3DS I would probably be a bit embarrassed. Of course you will say who cares what other people think but I would ask in this day and age what average, mainstream citizen doesn't care?
I think that most people dont care one bit about stuff like this. Maybe one small thought is "sacrificed" by some people, but then it is probably forgotten 5 minutes later.

But handheld gaming isnt just for public places. In my 20 years as a gamer, i can only remember one time that i took a portable platform out in the public (i was hooked on Mega Man EXE for GBA, and i took it to the beach one afternoon). I'm getting a Vita at launch and i have no plans on using it in public places.

I'm getting a Vita at launch and i have no plans on using it in public places.
There's no shame in playing in public places. When I go to anime/video game conventions, just about everyone there is playing a PSP, 3DS, or DS in public without shame. But eh, it's good to have when waiting in a long line. Just giving an example as to where people may use it in public.

There's no shame in playing in public places. When I go to anime conventions, just about everyone there is playing a PSP, 3DS, or DS in public.
-
goodone.gif

It seems like the NA media loves to smear Sony. They did the same shit with the PS3 by writing articles like "Will PS3 bury Sony?" and "Will the PS3 make it?" It's a bunch of bullshit.

PS3 is one of the major reasons why Sony has been in a massive decline since it launched. Picked about the worst example possible here.

test_account

XP-39C²
There's no shame in playing in public places. When I go to anime conventions, just about everyone there is playing a PSP, 3DS, or DS in public.
Yeah, i dont care one bit about it if people use it public. The reason why dont have any plans to use it in public is because i travel very little.

Codeblue

I can see it happening eventually. If not iOS then with Android together it will.

Maybe most people are in denial but as a gamer I find the appeal of portable gaming systems diminishing greatly nowadays as I'm quite happy with the games on Android and iOS. It has limitations so what? The main point of portable gaming for me is to enjoy free time when I am forced to wait. If I want the experience of console games I'd rather just play them on my console at home in my boxers on my giant plasma TV.

Perhaps you should consider yourself as not being the target for such a device.

It's great that you're enjoying your iPhone games and can see past its limitations, but that doesn't diminish the fact that there will always be people who don't see Infinity Blade as a replacement for stuff like Monster Hunter. There's always going to be a market for portables whether or not you can see the appeal.

FireCloud

The Vita shouldn't come out, but it will, and its thrashing on the way to a violent death will create annoying drama on the Internet.

Because iOS fans appear to be comprised of gamers and iOS haters don't have a lot of experience, just a huge capacity for anger, it is self-evident to whom 2012 will belong.
Are you joking, trolling, or did you just get an itouch for Christmas?

I think there is a place for Android/ios games (like waiting in line at the DMV).

big_z

the vita will still crawl onto the market world wide, who knows it could become 2012s hp tablet.

That said Sonys existence is coming to an end due to years of bleeding money and awful management. What happens to the playstation brand is anyone's guess.

At least cnet got the wiiU not being next gen right.

Codeblue

the vita will still crawl onto the market world wide, who knows it could become 2012s hp tablet.

That said Sonys existence is coming to an end due to years of bleeding money and awful management. What happens to the playstation brand is anyone's guess.

At least cnet got the wiiU not being next gen right.
Wii U, by definition, is Nintendo's next generation system. Generations don't work on some immeasurable power metric.

Jburton

Banned
Well it seems talking and writing shit for the sake of hits is alive and well for the New Year.

iOS has been going to kill off gaming as we know for years now, and it is still a lot of bollix ........... two different gaming markets, iOS is ok (I own a touch and iPad) but it ain't ever replacing console gaming for me ..... Handheld or otherwise.

The day that happens then gaming can go fuck itself.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I think that most people dont care one bit about stuff like this. Maybe one small thought is "sacrificed" by some people, but then it is probably forgotten 5 minutes later.

But handheld gaming isnt just for public places. In my 20 years as a gamer, i can only remember one time that i took a portable platform out in the public (i was hooked on Mega Man EXE for GBA, and i took it to the beach one afternoon). I'm getting a Vita at launch and i have no plans on using it in public places.

True true. I play a bunch at home. Gotta say though I've never had anyone give me an odd glance for playing my handheld system in the public. It's just not considered abnormal here. If someone did say something I would look at them like a crazy person and expect them to be mentally retarded for acting like a 15 year old.

Medalion

Banned
Wii U, by definition, is Nintendo's next generation system. Generations don't work on some immeasurable power metric.

Next-gen for Nintendo, but not by the game industry compared to the 360/PS3, this system only being marginally more powerul with 6 year old technology

Dartastic

I just realized that Resident Evil: Revelations is 50 dollars. Goddamnit. I don't know if I can justify that. Pricing on handhelds is out of control.

GDGF

Soothsayer

test_account

XP-39C²
True true. I play a bunch at home. Gotta say though I've never had anyone give me an odd glance for playing my handheld system in the public. It's just not considered abnormal here. If someone did say something I would look at them like a crazy person and expect them to be mentally retarded for acting like a 15 year old.
Yeah, it is common to use cellphones, tables and laptops publicly, so i dont think many looks very different at using a gaming handheld publicly. They look similar to other portable devices, so many will probably not notice exactly what it is.

I used to rag on iOS gaming as nothing more that what many an ignoramus in this thread is proposing. But then I started investigating and the rise of touch strategy, card and boardgame iterations blow generalisations of iOS gaming being cheap and nasty flash ports etc. out of the water.

I'm playing asynchronous multiplayer wargames as deep, if not deeper than those found on DS/PSP, asynchronous multiplayer 4x space empire builders - never found on DS/PSP - as well as a host of other boardgames. Push notifications mean I can slot in a turn when I can when a turn is available, and that's just multiplayer.

I like traditional handhelds, I have a Vita and am looking forward to the games ahead, but a view that bypasses both one of the strongest genres on iOS and the infrastructure that supports it, putting it strides ahead of what we've seen thus far in terms of traditional handheld interconnectivity, is a pitiable and willfully ignorant stance to retain.

dream

I used to rag on iOS gaming as nothing more that what many an ignoramus in this thread is proposing. But then I started investigating and the rise of touch strategy, card and boardgame iterations blow generalisations of iOS gaming being cheap and nasty flash ports etc. out of the water.

I'm playing asynchronous multiplayer wargames as deep, if not deeper than those found on DS/PSP, asynchronous multiplayer 4x space empire builders - never found on DS/PSP - as well as a host of other boardgames. Push notifications mean I can slot in a turn when I can when a turn is available, and that's just multiplayer.

I like traditional handhelds, I have a Vita and am looking forward to the games ahead, but a view that bypasses both one of the strongest genres on iOS and the infrastructure that supports it, putting it strides ahead of what we've seen thus far in terms of traditional handheld interconnectivity, is a pitiable and willfully ignorant stance to retain.

Yup. People insisting that iOS games "aren't real games" are just ignorant of the type of titles that are available in the App Store. Games like Carcassone just play much better on iPhone than on the DS because of the network infrastructure. Something like King of Dragon Pass is probably deeper than anything in the Vita launch lineup.

Zeal

Banned
These three dickhats sucked Apple's dick the entire podcast and declared Vita would not come out in America. Oh, and anything that comes out after the iPad is dead. I also loved all the Android hate for no reason.

Can we like, get these people off the air or something. This is not even trolling at this point, it's just stupid, stupid people being allowed to say things.

Duxxy3

I just realized that Resident Evil: Revelations is 50 dollars. Goddamnit. I don't know if I can justify that. Pricing on handhelds is out of control.

Probably not a popular opinion; but if you are creating a portable game that requires a $50 price tag to make a profit, just move it to a console.

Just trying to get attention I assume, because that is some of the dumbest shit I have heard in a long time. Honestly don't think that Vita will be very successful either but not coming out in NA? Come on, son.

Zyzyxxz

Perhaps you should consider yourself as not being the target for such a device.

It's great that you're enjoying your iPhone games and can see past its limitations, but that doesn't diminish the fact that there will always be people who don't see Infinity Blade as a replacement for stuff like Monster Hunter. There's always going to be a market for portables whether or not you can see the appeal.

Yes I am not a target and I don't hate portable gaming but the way I see it, they will become more niche and smartphone gaming expands. Market will go where the money is.

J-Rzez

These three dickhats sucked Apple's dick the entire podcast and declared Vita would not come out in America. Oh, and anything that comes out after the iPad is dead. I also loved all the Android hate for no reason.

Can we like, get these people off the air or something. This is not even trolling at this point, it's just stupid, stupid people being allowed to say things.

I didn't listen to this specific podcast, but I assumed as much was said. There's two companies that can compete with Apple, at least in fit and function, and that's Sony and Samsung. So when they have a chance to throw opinions around, they do, opinions, not facts. CNET is pretty irrelevant though when it comes to gaming. They're a waste of time since they're big Apple riders in the first place, and since you can "game" on an iSomething, Apple is best.

I agree with the others that said how the media really went balls deep into Sony this gen. They went on a massive smear campaign that one hasn't seen in years with consumer goods. Sure, they deserved heat at launch, but they've more than made up for it to gamers. But, that whole massive RRoD thing that lasted years, pffft, that's not offensive to the consumers, the people the media is supposed to be in tune with, at all. Then again, MS has it's ways.

Dartastic

Well it is a fully featured resident evil and it's a mainline story. We'll see if this experiment works, but I don't think any portable game should be higher than 40 bucks.

It does seem worth it, though.

http://www.destructoid.com/resident-evil-revelations-raid-mode-undead-stream-218120.phtml

Probably not a popular opinion; but if you are creating a portable game that requires a $50 price tag to make a profit, just move it to a console.
I feel really similarly. I know it's a "full featured game" but seriously, that price is out of control. I feel the same way about Uncharted. Cost vs. Value. Handheld gaming is supposed to be more affordable. These games should not cost as much as a console game, regardless of the production value.

I mean, I can buy Dead Space on the iPhone. It's like what, 5 bucks? SMH.

snesfreak

Banned
Yeah, Vita's coming out here.
I doubt it'll do well, but whatever.
Also, Wii U is evidently not a next-gen platform.

Happy New Year!
I see the same crap here.
I guess a console's not next-gen unless it costs $500+ or breaks a month after you get it.

EDarkness

Because the iOS crowd seems to have some hatred for handhelds and wants them to die. No clue why. But until the damn thing has buttons I can't see it as a real game device. Slide controlls only feels so mini game like and only a few things can pull it off properly to where it doesn't feel like it. and no having my thumbs all over the screen to use "virtual buttons" is not a good fucking way to make games control. I don't slap my hands across my pc screen to play games. I hate the entire idea of blocking the screen to use it as a control input.

This can't be dropped at the foot of iOS gamers, it's true for traditional handheld fans, too. Both sides seem to want the other to die off, and I don't see any reason why they both can't co-exist. I don't play games on my phone, but do play them on my iPad and I hate the control methods in these games. Give me some buttons or the ability to add a joystick/gamepad or something and I'm golden. I'm trying to play Shantae and the virtual controller is killing me. That said, these games have every right to exist as the games on handhelds. No reason why one has to die so that the other may live.

Eusis

This can't be dropped at the foot of iOS gamers, it's true for traditional handheld fans, too.
I think there's some reactionary snow balling here too. Proponents of traditional handheld gaming hold iOS in disdain, and so those who actually give it a shot and find good stuff defend it. Then you have tech people who either aren't very serious about gaming or have different values for handheld gaming come to the conclusion that the growth of iOS/Android means traditional handhelds must die, and so you get people wanting mobile gaming to die instead. I guess it starts a bit from each side, personally I'd rather they co-existed but if one or the other absolutely HAD to go it'd be mobile gaming. More ideally the growth plateaus and stabilizes while 3DS/Vita find strong footholds, and people shut up about it.

Takao

Banned
PS Vita not launching in the US because it sold 70k in 7 days in Japan? Or is there any other reasons he gave?

It wasn't an opinion based on facts. They came to a conclusion that in a post iOS Game Centre world that dedicated handhelds have no place in the market. This includes the Vita (which they say was 2 years too late) and the 3DS.

tino

Banned
Well if it comes from Molly Wood's mouth then it doesn't count. She is a flaming retard. I mean a complete moron.

Takao

Banned
But would you have been able to buy this Dead Space port had the console version never existed? And even the dedicated handheld versions of game before they hit iOS at a cheaper price point. Subsidization occurs.

I'm actually pretty sure that mobile Dead Space is not the same Dead Space on consoles but rather a mobile tie-in that acted as an advertising tool for the console games. Ubisoft and EA use mobile and handheld games to prop up marketing and support for their larger console releases.

Top Bottom