• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 8th

bigedole

Now, NEXT November will really be interesting! :p I mean, it almost feels like they have nowhere to go but down, poor little fellas.

Toki767

So, the last official sales number for PS4 was 30.20 million sold. With the 1.5 million in November (if the number is accurate), PS4 has passed Sega Genesis' 30.75 million consoles sold. However, not knowing when the 30.20 million sold milestone was reached, it's possible that PS4 has also passed Nintendo 64's 32.93 million consoles sold. After that, Super Nintendo is next with 49.10 million consoles sold, which could take months, though with Uncharted 4 coming in March, perhaps sooner.

They announced 30.2 million before Black Friday.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, in general huge Black Friday/holiday deals are a recent phenomenon, which are the primary reason why console sales have become more concentrated in these months. I'd imagine video games aren't the only thing that this has happened to over the years.

...actually, you're bringing a decent point. Earlier in the thread, I was arguing that I don't think sales being much more concentrated in the Holiday season isn't a sign of a completely healthy industry. But, now that I think about it, we don't know what's going on in other industries. I'm sure sales of other electronic goods present a bigger share in the last two months of a year compared to the past, but I'd like to have a comparison between gaming industry and other electronic industry. We should also count the sales numbers overall for these industries, but the split would be a decent start. Are there any studies on the matter? I'm genuinely interested.

Now, NEXT November will really be interesting! :p I mean, it almost feels like they have nowhere to go but down, poor little fellas.

Yeah, I mean this is fantastic but at the rate these things are going, and how massive December will be as well with both at $299 for at least part of it, its like next year who will be left to sell too? Haha

I've been saying that ever since the start of this gen. How can people keep saying this when it's never been true so far with the XB1 and PS4? Do people need a decade of evidence before they change their minds?

Yup, I was going to make a thread about this, but I've delayed it until tomorrow. People over value the worth of exclusives; unless it's a juggernaut like Mario/Zelda, or Halo (to a less extent now) or Uncharted, then you're not going to get a massive shift in numbers. Third parties can do just as much, and in many cases, more and cost much less (obviously less investment in making a whole game).

The majority of the market always rely on and purchase third party games. The CoD's, Fifa's, Fallout's, GTA's etc. It has always been like that and always will be. So chuck in a marketing deal, and what do you have? Many people attracted to given associated console. Hell, some people I know thought Watch Dogs and Destiny were PS4 exclusives. Even the ones that didn't, bought a PS4 for them.

Regiruler

I will never predict anything again.

If we don't get any nintendo LT numbers I may just shut myself off and cry into xenoblade all night.
I'll do that regardless

We will have official results and PR in a few minutes.

But even if the 1.5 PS4 is true only likely 400 of those are using their PS4';s, while 1.3 million of the 1.3 million is usng the XBox One.

So the Bases of Installment™ wins again. See pie chart on last page for 100% accurate information*

*possibly.

Top Bottom