• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Hardware Sales Results for February 2007

Wiitard

Banned
Jirotrom said:
the sales of VF5 really disappoints me especially because we get ps3 owners coming into the store complaining about no games on the system and I point them to the greatest game and they state no. I then proceed to point them to motorstorm and resistance and they pick up NBA 07 or blazing angels instead.

I have not played any VF game, but is it fair to say that the game demands enormous amount of time before you raise above button mashing? Is it a enjoyable game to play in the, say, first 20-30 hours for somebody who has not invested in VF skillz?

ylvis_

Banned
Question here; Is March really going to be a 5 weeks month (I know it always is)? If so, then it's a little strange 'cause the last week would actually then be the 2-8 of April.

ylvis_ said:
Question here; Is March really going to be a 5 weeks month (I know it always is)? If so, then it's a little strange 'cause the last week would actually then be the 2-8 of April.

It's only four. January had 5 and was considered a leap week. IIRC and CMIIW, that only happens once a year or every two.

ylvis_

Banned
chibcicylist said:
It's only four. January had 5 and was considered a leap week. IIRC and CMIIW, that only happens once a year or every two.

Yeah, I know, but I heard someone said that this March would also be a 5 weeks month. But you're 100% sure it's a 4 weeks month.

Alx

Wiitard said:
I have not played any VF game, but is it fair to say that the game demands enormous amount of time before you raise above button mashing? Is it a enjoyable game to play in the, say, first 20-30 hours for somebody who has not invested in VF skillz?

It does not really require hours of practice to enjoy the game... of course button-mashing will only work on the 2 or 3 first stages of arcade, but using a basic strategy based on defense and PPPK-based combos (the most basic ones), you can still have fun. That's how I started playing the game anyway.
You will need some time and practice to master all the potential of the gameplay, but it is not a requirement if you only play solo (until you reach high levels in quest mode anyway) or against "normal" people. Actually I found VF4 to be less enjoyable once I reached the stage where I had to master evading/reversing to win a match.

Some observations about this thread.

Wii/Nintendo fans would be happy to have the Wii lead in sales even if the only software they got were WiiSports, WiiMusic, WiiPlay, and WiiHealth.

Nintendo fans are now happy with games that get average scores in the 75% range. Back in the last gen the XBOX needed scores in the 90% range to be impressive. Boy how times have changed.

How is controlling a vehicle more intuitive with a WiiMote than it is with a steering wheel? Now I have never played a Wii. Dont know anyone that has one and my sons only know one person that have one and they only have played Need for Speed Carbon on it. Yet what I have heard is even WiiPlay really doesnt use the Wiimote as a natural movement controller, but more as a motion controlled switch. You move the Wiimote and in effect a button is pushed. Now I think I have heard that bowling is the exception so that if you move the WiiMote faster than the ball is thrown harder. Is this the truth?

People dont understand tie ratio. The Wii has a tie ratio of 3.6 in February new console sold and that counts 371K worth of controllers masquarding as a game. I believe that through January the Wii has a cumulative tie ratio of 2.4 with February at 3.6 that brings the cumulative tie ratio up to 2.61 (Subtract out WiiPlay and it is 2.41). Last time I checked the 360 tie ratio was 5.3 at the end of 2006 with 10.4 million 360's sold. Now yes I know that is shipped but since those numbers were reported together than would that mean 360 software sold through as of the end of 2006 is at 10.4 million X 5.3.

SonyCowboy do you have the cumulative Tie-Ratios for the 360, Wii and PS3?

Think how many more million sellers the XBOX and the 360 would have if they got to play by the same rules. Would Wacked be a million seller since it was the packin with XBOX Live for 6-12 months? How many more copies of JSRF and Sega GT were sold inside the XBOX box. How about Tetris it was an XBOX Live packin. Need for Speed Most Wanted was sold with nearly all Best Buy 360's this past holiday. Do we count the Burger King games as million sold games for the 360?

KeithFranklin said:
People dont understand tie ratio. The Wii has a tie ratio of 3.6 in February new console sold and that counts 371K worth of controllers masquarding as a game. I believe that through January the Wii has a cumulative tie ratio of 2.4 with February at 3.6 that brings the cumulative tie ratio up to 2.61 (Subtract out WiiPlay and it is 2.41).

Wii Sports.

AniHawk

From the maker of:

KeithFranklin said:
Analyst said the Wii sold 1.3M in December alone. Clearly Nintendo kept the supply low to create frenzy over the Wii hoping this will translate into longer term sales in the US.

and

KeithFranklin said:
You honestly think the Wii will continue at launch pace?

Comes:

KeithFranklin said:

Wii/Nintendo fans would be happy to have the Wii lead in sales even if the only software they got were WiiSports, WiiMusic, WiiPlay, and WiiHealth.

Nintendo fans are now happy with games that get average scores in the 75% range. Back in the last gen the XBOX needed scores in the 90% range to be impressive. Boy how times have changed.

How is controlling a vehicle more intuitive with a WiiMote than it is with a steering wheel? Now I have never played a Wii. Dont know anyone that has one and my sons only know one person that have one and they only have played Need for Speed Carbon on it. Yet what I have heard is even WiiPlay really doesnt use the Wiimote as a natural movement controller, but more as a motion controlled switch. You move the Wiimote and in effect a button is pushed. Now I think I have heard that bowling is the exception so that if you move the WiiMote faster than the ball is thrown harder. Is this the truth?

People dont understand tie ratio. The Wii has a tie ratio of 3.6 in February new console sold and that counts 371K worth of controllers masquarding as a game. I believe that through January the Wii has a cumulative tie ratio of 2.4 with February at 3.6 that brings the cumulative tie ratio up to 2.61 (Subtract out WiiPlay and it is 2.41). Last time I checked the 360 tie ratio was 5.3 at the end of 2006 with 10.4 million 360's sold. Now yes I know that is shipped but since those numbers were reported together than would that mean 360 software sold through as of the end of 2006 is at 10.4 million X 5.3.

Think how many more million sellers the XBOX and the 360 would have if they got to play by the same rules. Would Wacked be a million seller since it was the packin with XBOX Live for 6-12 months? How many more copies of JSRF and Sega GT were sold inside the XBOX box. How about Tetris it was an XBOX Live packin. Need for Speed Most Wanted was sold with nearly all Best Buy 360's this past holiday. Do we count the Burger King games as million sold games for the 360?

The first quote sure looks like it is true. Over 400K in January and over 300K in February with only 1 AAA game (And it is a GCN game to boot).

The second quote is still to be determined. If the Wii does 300-400K each month than my hats off to Nintendo, but if it does it with nothing but mediocre titles congratulations to the Nintendo fans for getting what they want.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
KeithFranklin said:
Yeah well, in recent times I had more fun with a lot of 60-75% games than with some 80-90% games. Games like Phoenix Wright, Wii sports with friends etc. I'm fine with playing 75% games of genres where higher ranking titles don't even exist. 75% third person action? Well, I'm gonna pass on that. 75% lawyer sim? Sounds interesting, sign me up.

Listening to 1up yours discussions about the in and out details of cover system aspects in tactical squad based shooters that look almost identical all day long makes me think why I should count on review scores less and less.

KeithFranklin said:
The first quote sure looks like it is true. Over 400K in January and over 300K in February with only 1 AAA game (And it is a GCN game to boot).

The second quote is still to be determined. If the Wii does 300-400K each month than my hats off to Nintendo, but if it does it with nothing but mediocre titles congratulations to the Nintendo fans for getting what they want.

Except the first quote is about you having a make-believe shadow conspiracy about Nintendo deliberately holding back supply to generate demand. When you postulate crazy shit that is less reasonable to believe than the current explanation for something, you'd best be packing proof. Without any proof, I'd have to say you're just making shit up.

As far as the tie ratio thing goes, it's important to consider Wii Sports is already packed in with the system, and for many people it is why they bought the system, so given that, the tie ratio isn't too bad on the Wii. Certainly not even close to a concerning area.

No one can or should deny the amazing tie ratio on the 360 though. It's unprecedented and really does lend extra value to the 360 for third parties. It sells software like a machine with nearly double its install base. Very, very impressive.

Grecco

KeithFranklin said:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Seriously. Where do people get this stuff

As an aside, scores have been changed a little. As far as I know, there's been a conscious effort by reviewers to use the entire scale, or at least most of it. 7.5 is actually good now.

FlightOfHeaven said:
As an aside, scores have been changed a little. As far as I know, there's been a conscious effort by reviewers to use the entire scale, or at least most of it. 7.5 is actually good now.

This is possibly true...I don't know if the two or three sites that are doing that now have the statistical power to sway the aggregate though.

My response to the 'being happy with 7.5 games' thing is this: I haven't yet to date given a rat's ass what reviewers think of games. I liked Alter Echo better than Metal Gear Solid 2. I think Jak II is more fun than any of the GTA games. I love Excite Truck but can't stand Project Gotham. I'd probably rather play Breakdown more than any other FPS aside from Doom and Halo.

So as far as reviewers go, let them eat cake. I'm not going to deny that there are some Wii games that I find fun just because Bob Bobson, the young cub reporter, didn't like it. Tastes are different, and yours may not be getting served on the Wii so far Keith. Naturally, I must caution against unilaterally writing off any system. You'll be guaranteed to miss out on at least one or two games that would probably be some of your favorite games of all time.

Avrum

KeithFranklin said:

I don't know what to think anymore...that people try too hard or don't try hard enough.

KINGMOKU

KeithFranklin said:

What your failing to understand is that alot of people(Going by Wii sales, it seems to be a HELL of alot) wanted, no, needed a new way to play games. Is using the Wii-mote better then using dual analogs? Debatable. Does it freshen up the same expereince? hell yes it does. Excite truck would NOT have been the same game with dual analog. Hell, wiisports would have been a BOMBA with dual analog.

I love the Wii becuase it offers up something completly different, and new. After having been playing games for what seems like forever now, I appreciate it.

Nothing wrong with Traditional consoles though. Reason I'm picking up a 360.

Hey Ani, what is your reply when people ask what the difference is between a 360/PS3?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Jirotrom said:
the sales of VF5 really disappoints me especially because we get ps3 owners coming into the store complaining about no games on the system and I point them to the greatest game and they state no. I then proceed to point them to motorstorm and resistance and they pick up NBA 07 or blazing angels instead.

Dude, to enjoy VF5 properly, you need two arcade sticks and a selection of expert VF5 playing friends as well as limitless patience. Of all the games on the PS3 it has by far the highest barriers to entry for any normal game player. Excellent as the game is, it's a lousy reccomendation in that context.

And graphically it doesn't hold a candle to Motorstorm.

When folks but their new hi-def consoles, they want to see amazing graphical showcases, not elegant, well articulated animation.

AniHawk

moku said:
Hey Ani, what is your reply when people ask what the difference is between a 360/PS3?
I just tell them the difference between the premium and core packs (for whatever one they ask about). With the 360 I let them know that it's the better deal, rather than buying everything separately. With the PS3 I let them know the $600 one is the only one in stock. :p

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Christ, I don't even know where to begin :lol :lol :lol :lol

KeithFranklin said:

Is this really so hard to understand? Wii captures people's imaginations in a staid, conservative industry and the PS3 is as expensive as a gold hat. This isn't rocket science. Its extremely funny rocket science.

Dolphin

Banned
KeithFranklin said:

I've bolded the only sentences that you needed to say.

Dolphin said:
I've bolded the only sentences that you needed to say.

Hey my son likes the Need for Speed games and I dont know why his friend didnt insist on playing WiiSports. You tell me why the friend wouldnt? These are 12 year old boys.

schuelma

KeithFranklin said:
Hey my son likes the Need for Speed games and I dont know why his friend didnt insist on playing WiiSports. You tell me why the friend wouldnt? These are 12 year old boys.

The point is you don't really have a leg to stand on in terms of criticizing the Wii and its games if you haven't played the damn thing yet :lol :lol

duk said:
We should count Hexic as part of tie ratios for the 360 too then, it comes with every prem system.

I suppose it's worth consideration. Like, there's that huge sticker on the front of the 360 box that says "INCLUDES HEXIC!" and Microsoft did include it as a major part of their marketing push both in terms of media coverage, commercials, and as part of their major system announcements.

There's a clear difference between Hexic and Wii Sports in terms of considering their impact on sales. If you can't admit that, you're either being stupid or cute.

ylvis_

Banned
duk said:
We should count Hexic as part of tie ratios for the 360 too then, it comes with every prem system.

There's a huge difference though.

Wii Sports = System seller
Hexic = Not system seller

schuelma said:
The point is you don't really have a leg to stand on in terms of criticizing the Wii and its games if you haven't played the damn thing yet :lol :lol
How did I criticize the Wii games. I didnt but others have thus the scores in the 70s. I did ask a question about WiiSports which you didnt bother to answer. I did ask a question about ExciteTruck which you didnt bother to answer. I mentioned that my son has played the Wii but only Need for Speed so he could not tell me anything about WiiSports.

Epiphyte

KeithFranklin said:
How did I criticize the Wii games. I didnt but others have thus the scores in the 70s. I did ask a question about WiiSports which you didnt bother to answer. I did ask a question about ExciteTruck which you didnt bother to answer. I mentioned that my son has played the Wii but only Need for Speed so he could not tell me anything about WiiSports.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
The difference in pack-in games are that a fair amount of the Wii consoles are being sold FOR Wii Sports, and not as much the console itself in comparison to the other console bundles. Wii Sports alone has generated far more positive interest in the console among non-gamers and casuals than any other title in years, possibly more so than the Sims, in the long run. Granted it doesn't have the massive grab for the serious gamer as much as Halo or Grand Theft Auto, but it doesn't need to with the fact that it's simple to play and a family friendly title that even serious gamers can play with anyone among their family and friends, something that they cannot do with most "hardcore" games.

schuelma

KeithFranklin said:

You basically discounted almost the entire lineup with your "75%" comment. If you have been paying attention, you would know that reviewers are widly inconsistent when it comes to the motion controls. That accounts for the plethora of 75% games. Games like SSX and Excite truck are in the 70's and many GAFers say they're great games.

And what was your Wii Sports question?

KeithFranklin said:

Allow me, sir:

1) It's not. A steering wheel is more intuitive, but it is more intuitive than a regular controller, and steering wheels are unfortunately not included with systems. When a game is designed to take advantage of a peripheral it will always work better - Gran Turismo with the wheel is absolutely sublime.

2) The speed/power of your actions is important in all of the Wii Sports games, I think. Let me just run through quickly: Baseball - yeah, power of swing, speed of pitch...Bowling - yes, Golf - yes, but it is touchy as hell, Tennis - I can't really tell...I don't think so though, Boxing - hard to tell here as well, but it seems so.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
vanguardian1 said:
www.gamerankings.com

Tiger Woods 07 (60-83)
SSX Blur (52-85)
Red Steel (40-75)
Sonic (55-86)
Elebits (51-85)
Madden 07 (56-90)
Excite Truck (60-90)
Trauma Center (60-95)
Rayman Raving Rabbids (50-90)
Call of Duty 3 (30-96)

How's that for variation?

TDG

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Allow me, sir:

2) The speed/power of your actions is important in all of the Wii Sports games, I think. Let me just run through quickly: Baseball - yeah, power of swing, speed of pitch...Bowling - yes, Golf - yes, but it is touchy as hell, Tennis - I can't really tell...I don't think so though, Boxing - hard to tell here as well, but it seems so.

I know it's just me being a negative whiner, but as someone who plays sports, I really dislike Wii Sports. Bowling is good, but the others lack depth. I think it would be really cool in Tennis to be able to move my character in such a way that I could position myself for a backhand shot, or charge the net. The baseball controls are so inaccurate that (as a baseball fan and player) it offends me. Golf is pretty awful too, and the Boxing controls are goofy.
That being said, it's a cool looking game, the IDEA of the controls is good, and it has mass-market appeal. I'm not sure why someone would decide to buy a $250 Wii based on Wii Sports, but more power to them I suppose.

the disgruntled gamer said:
I know it's just me being a negative whiner, but as someone who plays sports, I really dislike Wii Sports. Bowling is good, but the others lack depth. I think it would be really cool in Tennis to be able to move my character in such a way that I could position myself for a backhand shot, or charge the net. The baseball controls are so inaccurate that (as a baseball fan and player) it offends me. Golf is pretty awful too, and the Boxing controls are goofy.
That being said, it's a cool looking game, the IDEA of the controls is good, and it has mass-market appeal. I'm not sure why someone would decide to buy a $250 Wii based on Wii Sports, but more power to them I suppose.

I'm not that big on Wii Sports either, but I can see why it appeals to people. I'm more like you, I'm waiting for the full-blown individual sports titles that really deliver on the potential shown in Wii Sports.

The game is designed completely to be accessible. It's not going to let you move your tennis characters because that would add a layer of complexity. I agree that the games can be improved for us, but for the casual market they're not going to enjoy the game more because they use the D-Pad to move a character.

KeithFranklin said:

Steering wheel > standard controller for a racing game. Now tell me what replicates a steering wheel better, the Wiimote or a standard controller? Likewise what replicates a swing for a racquet better, a Wiimote or a standard controller? I strongly suggest you try out WiiSports at least once before criticizing it. Consoles don't come with a steering wheel, or a raquet, or fishing rod. The Wii in a sense does, that's why it sells.

TDG

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
The game is designed completely to be accessible. It's not going to let you move your tennis characters because that would add a layer of complexity. I agree that the games can be improved for us, but for the casual market they're not going to enjoy the game more because they use the D-Pad to move a character.
No, no, I completely agree. I had my 70-year-old neighbor come over, and she could get right into Wii Sports. I think it's mostly about multi-taking. She would likely get confused and overwhelmed if she had to fucus on using the D-Pad to move the character and swing the Wiimote. It's cool for her, but for people like me it's a game that I can't have much fun with unless there is more depth.

vanguardian1 said:
How's that for variation?

Yeah thats why I dont bother looking at reviews for Wii games in particular. Some reviews are "Wow this is cool, motion control works well", while others are "Wait you mean I have to standup to play this?". It seems that Wii reviews are more objective than subjective (or the other way around, I dont know which is the good one).

For me, Wii Sports is the most fun Ive had playing a game for years. I love to play baseball and tennis, but I rarely get to play them so I use Wii Sports as a substitute.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I can't believe this shit has gone to almost 50 pages. Can some mod please close this thread till the next NPD?

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
No, no, I completely agree. I had my 70-year-old neighbor come over, and she could get right into Wii Sports. I think it's mostly about multi-taking. She would likely get confused and overwhelmed if she had to fucus on using the D-Pad to move the character and swing the Wiimote. It's cool for her, but for people like me it's a game that I can't have much fun with unless there is more depth.
Using the D-pad to move in Wii Tennis would such though, nunchuck FTW

gkryhewy

super funk said:
while others are "Wait you mean I have to standup to play this?".

And still others are "LOL you don't really have to stand, you can sit on your lazy ass and twitch, thereby maintaining your air of cool. I've beaten the system LOL!!!1"

dfi

I know it's just me being a positive whiner, but as someone who plays sports, I really like Wii Sports.

I think it replicates the feel of real sports better than any other game to date despite its simplistic nature. I think the wii remote is capable of much more than wii sports offered, but nintendo purposely simplified things because if they made it even more realistic, people would have a hard time with it and complain.

Looks at all the complaints about ssx blur and tiger woods and how hard it is. People are complaining that they can't hit the ball straight in tiger woods when in real life, 90% of people can't hit a golf ball straight. Ssx blur has fantastic ontrols once people practice and get use to it.

People want realism but they don't want it to be too realistic, because in general most people suck at sports.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
as others have noted on several occasions, wii sports was/is a tech demo. that it came out as amusing as it did and continues to draw people to the system is incredible, considering its heritage.

Top Bottom