• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

I had no idea Far Cry 3 was selling so well. Maybe that's why I can't find a copy anywhere, though I haven't been looking that hard. Happy to see DmC ranking so high too.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
NBA 2k13 Wii > Wii U
FIFA 13 Vita > Wii > Wii U

I can't believe third parties are jumping ship oh my

I know. I mean, why aren't these consumers buying Wii U games at full price that have been out for months already on other systems and are already cheaper?

INSANITY.

Performance of new SKUs this year versus last was six times as high, lifted by the success of titles like DMC: Devil May Cry and Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch," observed NPD industry analyst Liam Callahan.

For those asking about Ni No Kuni sales, if it was poor then it wouldn't have the kind of impact that it had as that analyst would suggest.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Glad to hear about Ni No Kuni. Probably my favorite PS3 game.

Kusagari

January is a dead month and DmC is at #6.

I'd be surprised if it did much more than 200k off that ranking. Which I hardly think Capcom would be happy about at all.

Mileena

Banned
I know. I mean, why aren't these consumers buying Wii U games at full price that have been out for months already on other systems and are already cheaper?

INSANITY.

Madden and FIFA PS360 are still full price at most stores and NBA is $20 more on Wii U (though I think the PS360 prices just recently dropped)

People aren't buying Wii U games, no need to find an excuse.

I had no idea Far Cry 3 was selling so well. Maybe that's why I can't find a copy anywhere, though I haven't been looking that hard. Happy to see DmC ranking so high too.

Eh. That is definitely bomba for DMC. DMC4 sold over 500k first month back in 2008 and was number one for the month.

jrcbandit

INSANITY.
Exactly... Mostly hardcore gamers bought the WiiU since everyone else thinks it is a peripheral or have 0 idea it exists. Hardcore gamers already own a ps3 or 360 so wtf would they buy the WiiU version. The vita version would make more sense since it is madden/fifa on the go...

donny2112

Aren't there more Vita owners?

Marginally. The more intelligent reasoning is a few posts above about being on other systems for months already and at lesser prices. *shrugs* Wii U software still isn't "good" (apparently) by any stretch, but that's a very fair reasoning about the price difference.

That is NOT high.

How so? I mean Halo and Assassins Creed have become household names this gen, and damn near everything else on that list. I haven't seen very much DmC marketing or promotion. I think it's impressive. It feels like the odd man out on that list.

Aren't there more Vita owners?

Something like 1.1 million Vitas sold in the Americas (at least around the post-Black Friday NPD). And if we count all the Wii Us sold in the US that's close to a million as well. I personally expect Madden and FIFA to sell better on a console than a handheld.

The Wii U(and to an extent Vita) version of those games suck so they deserve to sell bad.

No argument.

liger05

Exactly... Mostly hardcore gamers bought the WiiU since everyone else thinks it is a peripheral or have 0 idea it exists. Hardcore gamers already own a ps3 or 360 so wtf would they buy the WiiU version. The vita version would make more sense since it is madden/fifa on the go...

Thats me. I have no reason to buy the current 3rd party offerings on the wii u but need for speed is one that I probably get it looks like we are seeing some effort.

yon61

How so? I mean Halo and Assassins Creed have become household names this gen, and damn near everything else on that list. I haven't seen very much DmC marketing or promotion. I think it's impressive. It feels like the odd man out on that list.

If this was November, you would be right to be impressed.

Kusagari

You realize those games have been out for months right?

All versions of Madden were on sale before the super bowl except for the Wii U.

Though Vita FIFA being higher than Wii U FIFA is really the WTF of this whole thing.

kswiston

This is the 3rd month for Assassin's Creed and Halo 4. If DMC was doing well, it would be ahead of games released this past fall.

EDIT: I forgot that Halo 4 was a November release this time around. Adjusted.

Mikey Jr.

would they even bother considering it was a major bomba in japan?

"According to an interview with Level-5 CEO Akihiro Hino on Famitsu, the studio would love to continue the Ni no Kuni series if overseas sales for the title are strong. "

http://www.gamespot.com/news/nino-k...ersion-succeeds-overseas-level-5-ceo-6372163?

So yes?

performance of new SKUs this year versus last was six times as high, lifted by the success of titles like DMC: Devil May Cry and Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch," observed NPD industry analyst Liam Callahan.

Also a good sign!

Ridley327

I get the feeling that Capcom's recently revised sales expectations for DmC might still be a tad much, if the best it can do in a month where its only new competition was a niche JRPG PS3 exclusive is sixth place.

February should be interesting, to say the least.

liger05

All versions of Madden were on sale before the super bowl except for the Wii U.

Though Vita FIFA being higher than Wii U FIFA is really the WTF of this whole thing.

Fifa is the game I suggested was the one that mario was talking about which was expected to see a million long term. Fifa is a big franchise but then again the wii u version is gimped from the PS3/360 version.

Guevara

Anyone remember that hand drawn thing from last console launch with all the consoles as racecars and the Wii vehicle is over heating, I think the Xbox 360 bros are wearing sunglasses?

We should update that.

SmokyDave

Fifa is the game I suggested was the one that mario was talking about which was expected to see a million long term. Fifa is a big franchise but then again the wii u version is gimped from the PS3/360 version.
The Vita version is the same as last years but with a '13' on the end.

Korigama

Interesting that DmC sold more on PS3.

DMC 4 on launch sold more on 360
Much wider gap in userbase sizes when DMC4 released (just a case of the franchise's history on PlayStation platforms catching up with it now that there aren't as few PS3s out there).

Top Bottom