• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

How many times has a sony 1st/2nd party ps3 exclusive cracked an npd top ten? 2? 3?

I was curious about this so I looked it up!

January 2007 - Resistance (#8)
March 2007 - Motorstorm (#5)
September 2007 - Heavenly Sword (#10)
April 2008 - Gran Turismo 5: Prologue (#6)
October 2008 - Socom: U.S. Navy Seals Confrontation (#7)
October 2008 - Little Big Planet (#8)
November 2008 - Resistance 2 (#9)
February 2009 - Killzone 2 (#5)
March 2009 - Killzone 2 (#7)
May 2009 - Infamous (#5)
June 2009 - Infamous (#10)
October 2009 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (#1)
February 2010 - Heavy Rain (#10)
March 2010 - God of War III (#1)
March 2010 - MLB 10: The Show (#10)
April 2010 - God of War III (#5)
November 2010 - Gran Turismo 5 (#8)
January 2011 - Little Big Planet 2 (#4)
January 2011 - DC Universe Online (#10)
February 2011 - Killzone 3 (#8)
June 2011 - Infamous 2 (#3)
September 2011 - Resistance 3 (#7)
November 2011 - Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception (#7)
February 2012 - Twisted Metal (#9)
March 2012 - MLB 12: The Show (#3)
April 2012 - MLB 12: The Show (#10)

I'm probably missing some, but from my count that's 26 times.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I was curious about this so I looked it up!

January 2007 - Resistance (#8)
March 2007 - Motorstorm (#5)
September 2007 - Heavenly Sword (#10)
April 2008 - Gran Turismo 5: Prologue (#6)
October 2008 - Socom: U.S. Navy Seals Confrontation (#7)
October 2008 - Little Big Planet (#8)
November 2008 - Resistance 2 (#9)
February 2009 - Killzone 2 (#5)
March 2009 - Killzone 2 (#7)
May 2009 - Infamous (#5)
June 2009 - Infamous (#10)
October 2009 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (#1)
February 2010 - Heavy Rain (#10)
March 2010 - God of War III (#1)
March 2010 - MLB 10: The Show (#10)
April 2010 - God of War III (#5)
November 2010 - Gran Turismo 5 (#8)
January 2011 - Little Big Planet 2 (#4)
January 2011 - DC Universe Online (#10)
February 2011 - Killzone 3 (#8)
June 2011 - Infamous 2 (#3)
September 2011 - Resistance 3 (#7)
November 2011 - Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception (#7)
February 2012 - Twisted Metal (#9)
March 2012 - MLB 12: The Show (#3)
April 2012 - MLB 12: The Show (#10)

I'm probably missing some, but from my count that's 26 times.

I mean, I wasn't even talking about that area at all, but thank you for unloading a shotgun blast of fact for our kind inquisitor.

UberTag

I think that you're actually have a distaste for those people, not for Sony. But you want it to go through Sony, so that it affects those people. I think that is the reason for much of the dislike and hate towards a system, not necessarily because of the system or company itself, but because of what fans of those system says. It is like this for all systems.
Anyone that swears by and evangelizes one company over all others whether it's Sony, Microsoft, Apple, Valve, Google or Nintendo is almost always a dick. Doesn't matter what the platform is.

Most sensible people are pragmatic enough to understand that every console has something unique and innovative to offer whether it's a service or software or media functionality. They each have their audience even if that's not necessarily you... and perhaps it could be you if you're open-minded enough to sample everything they have to offer.

Forcing one's console advocacy on someone else is just the same thing as forcing a religion or politicial affiliation or prejudice. It's just stupid.

Petrae

Yeah, it's pretty tough when you have access and want to share data with everyone. There was so much data that would've been very helpful for armchair analysts and experienced writers alike, but the fear of getting caught and potentially getting your employer in hot water really limited what could be shared. It was a bit stressful when I had access to the data for awhile in 2011 and 2012, as I did not want to jeopardize my source... so I had to be really careful.

I can understand it from the industry's standpoint (more) and from NPD's standpoint (less). Breaking silence on data specifics and spreading that news can lead to less investor confidence or even consumer confidence in certain companies. On the NPD side, it's monetary; without keeping some data hidden, there's less of a reason to spend the hefty fee to access the report.

What I'm finding is that the data is really only relevant for hardware sales. My armchair analysis has dropped software altogether due to not accounting for increasing digital sales and therefore not showing a more complete and balanced picture of software sales. NPD is still very useful for hardware sales, though, and that's what I key on for Twitter observations, written analysis, and so on.

I thank creamsugar for what he's done for us here on these threads. Same with John Harker. And jvm really does great things with his work over at Gamasutra (which continues to be a driving force for my own interest and written coverage). These folks enable/have enabled us to converse, speculate, and gain lots of knowledge from these threads-- both inside and outside of the lines.

Lots of people within these threads deliver great tables, compilations of information, and past references which makes it easier to see trends at a glance, and I thank them as well.

I would've loved to be a "for real" analyst, as I really do find this field fascinating and enlightening... but participating in these threads and putting together my own analysis is enjoyable for me.

I love going back to old forums that have literally data dumps of monthly NPD sales down to games that had less than 50 copies sold in the month. Those were glorious days.

So basically NPD is in collusion with the industry in order that investors not have the real story? NPD was becoming more and more worthless anyway, and like you said the only legitimate piece of info they even offer anymore is hardware sales considering software sales without digital is probably now completely worthless.

So basically NPD is in collusion with the industry in order that investors not have the real story? NPD was becoming more and more worthless anyway, and like you said the only legitimate piece of info they even offer anymore is hardware sales considering software sales without digital is probably now completely worthless.

It clearly wasn't Microsoft who crows about their NPD results. Nintendo was doing well when the NPD went silent. It's pretty obvious it was Sony who probably pressured the NPD into minimizing what data is revealed to the public.

It clearly wasn't Microsoft who crows about their NPD results. Nintendo was doing well when the NPD went silent. It's pretty obvious it was Sony who probably pressured the NPD into minimizing what data is revealed to the public.

It honestly probably was Sony, but I wouldn't be surprised they all were pressuring NPD considering they all were probably thinking of the future.

Petrae

I think there's something to that. Only publishers and hardware companies can release data publicly, and that only happens (as we've seen) when data is positive. The subscription fee is kind of the excuse for this theory.

And, yes. NPD worthiness now lies in hardware sales. Heck, when only half of the software sold in a month is physical, there's no way an analyst-- real or armchair-- can accurately break down an NPD report and use it as an indicator of sales trends. Lots of qualifiers come into play.

test_account

XP-39C²
Anyone that swears by and evangelizes one company over all others whether it's Sony, Microsoft, Apple, Valve, Google or Nintendo is almost always a dick. Doesn't matter what the platform is.

Most sensible people are pragmatic enough to understand that every console has something unique and innovative to offer whether it's a service or software or media functionality. They each have their audience even if that's not necessarily you... and perhaps it could be you if you're open-minded enough to sample everything they have to offer.

Forcing one's console advocacy on someone else is just the same thing as forcing a religion or politicial affiliation or prejudice. It's just stupid.
I agree. I must admit that i know the feeling of just wanting to see the reaction to some negative speaking fans if "their" system underperforms if they have spoken much negative about some competitors' sales, but i cant really feel happy about a system failing because i know that the companies have put a lot of time and money into offering us gamers another choice. I wish that they all could succeed and keep making new stuff.

I think there's something to that. Only publishers and hardware companies can release data publicly, and that only happens (as we've seen) when data is positive. The subscription fee is kind of the excuse for this theory.

And, yes. NPD worthiness now lies in hardware sales. Heck, when only half of the software sold in a month is physical, there's no way an analyst-- real or armchair-- can accurately break down an NPD report and use it as an indicator of sales trends. Lots of qualifiers come into play.
Wouldnt the subscription fee be kinda pocket change for the big time inverstors? I cant really see the reason why any of the game companies would push for making the NPD numbers as private as possible when the NPD reports can easily be acquired by the big time investors. The quarterly financial reports are also public, and those are what matters the most (profit or not profit). I always thought that the NPD numbers went private because as an attempt for the NPD Group to sell more of their reports. We've hardly gotten any weekly or monthly numbers for the european market the whole generation, i also thought this was to sell more reports. While in Japan, we get numbers every week. Wouldnt the companies try to silence those numbers as well?

GopherD

It honestly probably was Sony, but I wouldn't be surprised they all were pressuring NPD considering they all were probably thinking of the future.

It wasnt a hardware company. I've heard a rumor it was several software firms, one now defunct, that were threatening to sue over the public release of "incomplete data"

Don't know the story or truth to it.

AniHawk

I sort of expected the Wii reception to not be that great and to get a price drop like with GameCube, yes. Didn't want to repeat jumping early and paying more like happened there. 3DS was just not worth $250 at launch, at all. It's not about buying for "potential," unless you just have nothing else to play. Therefore, it might be okay, like you're saying. It's really the only thing they can do reasonably in the short-term, if they do it alongside a significant game launch, like if Wii Fit U and Pikmin 3 came out the week of the price drop or something.

Targeting 100 billion yen operating profit for next FY seems irresponsible in the face of the current console status, though.

i expected the wii to be like what the wii u is doing. and i was preeeeetty down on the wii u, but when i expected it to be under 100k in january, i was thinking 80k-90k, not 57k.

i think that's enough ground covering how badly nintendo failed the machine. given their relationship with third-parties, and seeing how they *can* still sell hardware, i think the best idea is to go single-device in the future. it's done microsoft and sony well. even the dreamcast benefited on the software side by having everyone focus on one machine.

2r4id1l.jpg

KungFucius

King Snowflake
i expected the wii to be like what the wii u is doing. and i was preeeeetty down on the wii u, but when i expected it to be under 100k in january, i was thinking 80k-90k, not 57k.

i think that's enough ground covering how badly nintendo failed the machine. given their relationship with third-parties, and seeing how they *can* still sell hardware, i think the best idea is to go single-device in the future. it's done microsoft and sony well. even the dreamcast benefited on the software side by having everyone focus on one machine.

I agree. Nintendo's core franchises work fine on handhelds and I can pick one up for my Nintendo fix

Cheebo

Banned

I think it is unavoidable the next nintendo systems in the following generation will be a single system, a handheld that can also be played on the tv as a console. It will allow them to focus 100% on a handheld, which is their bread and butter while still having a foot in the console market.

The only thing I wonder is, would this mean nintendo would be going backwards in terms of power? I can't imagine their next handheld will be more powerful than the WiiU.

AniHawk

Lol, that's just mean.

well, i meant before they started making handhelds.

I think it is unavoidable the next nintendo systems in the following generation will be a single system, a handheld that can also be played on the tv as a console. It will allow them to focus 100% on a handheld, which is their bread and butter while still having a foot in the console market.

The only thing I wonder is, would this mean nintendo would be going backwards in terms of power? I can't imagine their next handheld will be more powerful than the WiiU.

why not? the wii u's costs are already eaten up by the tablet, and the 3ds is more powerful than the wii. 5 years from now, they'll probably be able to make something that outclasses vita, and at a decent price.

well, i meant before they started making handhelds.

why not? the wii u's costs are already eaten up by the tablet, and the 3ds is more powerful than the wii. 5 years from now, they'll probably be able to make something that outclasses vita, and at a decent price.
I would be completely OK with this.

The library would probably consist of Nintendo games + Japanese 3rd party stuff + western indie games. Seems right up my alley, really.

Wii U without the controller is one of the dumbest memes on GAF: rebranding as Wii 2 might actually be an idea worth considering but I think just marketing the thing in general and getting a huge effort in 1st party releases would do wonders since Nintendo Direct only reaches core gamers. Ambassador program and a price drop part II.

Here is my idea.
The WiiU console bundle will stay the same. It just becomes the WiiU tablet plus a Wii 2. Nintendo can then sell a cheaper Wii2 unit, still compatable with the Wii controllers and the WiiU tablet, with either a standard controller or Wii motion plus.

Pooya

Any idea how Enslaved sold? I don't think it ever charted :p I remember there were some creamsuger leaks then too, below 100k maybe iirc, I guess it's somewhat of an improvement
LOL

creamsugar

Black ~ 83%
White ~ 17%

200k < PS3 < 250k and more closer to 200k
100k < Wii < 150k and more closer to 100k
100k < 3DS < 150k and more closer to 150k
50K < DS < 100K and more closer to 50k
PSP ~ 10k

Cheebo

Banned
Black ~ 83%
White ~ 17%

200k < PS3 < 250k and more closer to 200k
100k < Wii < 150k and more closer to 100k
100k < 3DS < 150k and more closer to 150k
50K < DS < 100K and more closer to 50k
PSP ~ 10k
Thanks, well under gafs average prediction for 3ds hardware

spin?

what was my question and what was your answer?

because im still not seeing a resident evil title released anytime near a DMC title that didnt outsell it.

and if you are going to quote sales of capcom titles, please use the horses mouth.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Top Bottom