• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

DR2K

Banned
No you are trying to say that DMC as a brand is failing because RE outsells it.

I pointed out this has always been the case. Its not measure of anything.

DMC4 selling 2.7 million means nothing in this discussion. As the most recent RE release to that time sold 6 million

Make whatever moronic dialogue you want about the genre, but don't try and use the sales of a totally different franchise and genre to explain the sales or lack thereof of another.

This DmC defending is reaching inane levels.

I'm saying a bad spin off is outselling the series in general to show that quality has little to no bearings on sales. DMC would have sold just as terribly had it been DMC5 or whatever they associated with the name.

Bayonetta bombed, Anarchy Riegns bombed, NG3 bombed, Vanquish bombed, etc. . . the genre is in huge decline this late in the gen.

Well it certainly shows Nintendo fumbled getting 3DS accelerated during last holiday for very obvious reasons (only Paper Mario and an August-released NSMB2 will not sell to many).

Fire Emblem should help it this month for sure, and Nintendo will market Luigi's Mansion quite a bit, too. That should at least help the handheld out, for sure. Not saying it will save it fully, though; it needs Pokemon and another pricedrop to do that.

Selling 4x as much as a dead system isn't that impressive.

The 3DS number is not good. It is down on a weekly basis 30% y/y.

Mario Kart 7 was a month old last January. There is no equivalent from last holiday to keep system sales moving like that.

Madouu

yeah well they only have themselves to blame for expensive hardware and expensive software. make the hardware $99, and make the games $30, and it'd find its feet fast.

Oh it definitely will in this scenario but right now the main issue is that the holydays/january software was really lacking to say the least. Next months to the end of this year are going to be extremely interesting for the 3DS in the western markets.

Well it certainly shows Nintendo fumbled getting 3DS accelerated during last holiday for very obvious reasons (only Paper Mario and an August-released NSMB2 will not sell to many).

Fire Emblem should help it this month for sure, and Nintendo will market Luigi's Mansion quite a bit, too. That should at least help the handheld out, for sure. Not saying it will save it fully, though; it needs Pokemon and another pricedrop to do that.

Mario Kart 7 was a month old last January. There is no equivalent from last holiday to keep system sales moving like that.

How will Fire Emblem help? It's not a popular series, and on top of that Nintendo undershipped it. It's almost as if they do these things on purpose. Amazon still has no stock, so the only retailers that do have it are selling it for 60+ dollars. The message that sends is bad.

Sandfox

I can see another price drop later in the year(about $30-50) or early next year and that could do a lot for it. The 3DS' problem IMO isn't games(going by the games that have come out last year and are announced for this year) as much as Nintendo just needs to make it more attractive to people.

So, 528k in the first month for DMC4, to 187k for DmC. I know it's the end of the generation and all and people were less hyped for DmC than DMC4, but is that... normal?

Controversial reboot nobody asked for sells like shit, kills franchise

For some reason, I see more of this shit happening next generation

slit

In a perfect world Sony and Nintendo would team up. It just goes so natural with their recent fortunes. Sony would handle the console end while Nintendo handled the handheld end.

BTW, I know this isn't happening. Just a wet dream.

I'm saying a bad spin off is outselling the series in general to show that quality has little to no bearings on sales. DMC would have sold just as terribly had it been DMC5 or whatever they associated with the name.

Bayonetta bombed, Anarchy Riegns bombed, NG3 bombed, Vanquish bombed, etc. . . the genre is in huge decline this late in the gen.

Bayonetta was a new IP, million seller and very niche Japanese title that put many people off because of its main protagonist.

Anarchy reigns is a beat em up.

NG3 was a travesty.

Vanquish is a third person shooter.

What the fuck are you on about?

Drago

I imagine that this month will be the worst for 3DS, as there wasn't a single worthwhile release the entire month as far as I remember.

Not that this month will be tons better I think, but Fire Emblem, Brain Age, and EOIV will help sell some systems, I'd assume. More than 150k, at the very least. March is pretty packed with big releases too (PMD and Luigi) so I expect a good number then as well.

Soriku

Why wasn't Animal Crossing released this holiday? Did they expect Paper Mario and NSMB2 to be enough? And it's releasing all the way in June...

AC, Pokemon, Mario&Luigi, and other games will ensure 3DS has a good second half of the year. Next NPD has Fire Emblem which should help sales. They really should've released AC earlier though.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Conclusion: Microsoft PR includes Wii U in current gen offerings.

Why not? 360 and Wii U are both home to competitive multiplatform 3rd party titles. They're competitive.

And the Wii U versions are technically inferior! It's not like when the 360 launched with enhanced versions of Gun or King Kong

DR2K

Banned
Bayonetta was a million seller

Anarchy reigns is a beat em up

NG3 was a travesty

Vanquish is a shooter

what the fuck are you on about?

The action games genre is selling poorly and in decline. I can assure you they're all within the same genre of course you can sub genre everything to death.

How will Fire Emblem help? It's not a popular series, and on top of that Nintendo undershipped it. It's almost as if they do these things on purpose. Amazon still has no stock, so the only retailers that do have it are selling it for 60+ dollars. The message that sends is bad.

Well, we won't know until next NPD, but I do think it can do some numbers with the reviews and positive WOM surrounding it. Did Nintendo undership it? Maybe, to push for eShop purchases instead for maximum profit.

At the very least, it beats having no software release whatsoever like 3DS in January or Wii U until mid-effin-March.

Well, we won't know until next NPD, but I do think it can do some numbers with the reviews and positive WOM surrounding it. Did Nintendo undership it? Maybe, to push for eShop purchases instead for maximum profit.

At the very least, it beats having no software release whatsoever like 3DS in January or Wii U until mid-effin-March.

That's definitely true. The problem is there wasn't a significant boost in sales off the release of NSMB2, so assuming there will be one from Fire Emblem or Luigi is most likely getting your hopes up for something that isn't going to happen. Not like it can get much worse than January's numbers though (actually it can - hi Vita and Wii U!).

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
So these are the numbers I've come up with. If anyone wants to object or challenge them please say so:

DS: 62,500
PSP: 10,000
360: 281,000
PS3: 202,500
Wii: 101,500
3DS: 145,000
Vita: 34,000
Wii U: 57,000

The action games genre is selling poorly and in decline. I can assure you they're all within the same genre of course you can sub genre everything to death.

Vanquish is a third person over-the-shoulder shooter with cover. Trying to claim that it's in the same genre as DmC is disingenuous at best.

So these are the numbers I've come up with. If anyone wants to object or challenge them please say so:

DS: 62,500
PSP: 10,000
360: 281,000
PS3: 202,500
Wii: 101,500
3DS: 145,000
Vita: 34,000
Wii U: 57,000

Those are good guesses.

Here are the confirmed ranges:

January 2013 NPD:

360 - 281K
PS3 - (201K - 224K) ("Very close" to 201K)
3DS - (126K - 149K) ("Very close but not as close as PS3 / Wii U to 126K)
Wii - (101K - 124K) ("Very close" to 101K)
DS - (58K - 74K)
Wii U - 57K
Vita - ~35K
PSP - ~10K

So if we take what creamsugar has given:

360 = 281K (+4.1%)
PS3 > 200K (+5.3% at most)
Wii > 100K (-33.3% at most)
3DS <150K (-11.8% at least)

On a weekly basis accounting for the "leap week:"

360 = 56.2K (-16.7%)
PS3 > 40K (-15.8% at most)
Wii > 20K (-46.7% at most)
3DS < 42.5K (-29.4% at least)

Edit: Damn you shinraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Hehe.

Striek

Weekly year over year.

X360: 67.5k -> 56.2k (-16.7%)
PS3: 47.5k -> ~40k (-15.8%)
Wii: 37.5k -> ~20k (-46.7%)
3DS: 42.5k -> ~29k (-31.8%)

People say the home console market is in trouble, but I think the HD twins are performing pretty damn resiliently for being so old and expensive.

Edit: Damn you shinraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sandfox

Why wasn't Animal Crossing release this holiday? Did they expect Paper Mario and NSMB2 to be enough? And it's releasing all the way in June...

The game came out in Japan in November and it takes time for them to translate the game and change certain things for the west. I'm guessing it didn't come out Q1 because Nintendo is already publishing a large number of games and it would be better to give it its own spot in June.

Cheebo

Banned
The game came out in Japan in November and it takes time for them to translate the game and change certain things for the west. I'm guessing it didn't come out Q1 because Nintendo is already publishing a large number of games and it would be better to give it its own spot in June.
They didn't need that long for wild world or city folk.

Well if you want to paint everything with the same broad brush, then Call of duty is also an action game.

So your logic still fails.

Iwata actually seemed to think that Paper Mario was all the 3DS needed last holiday. They even said they were "focusing" on the 3DS last holiday ffs. And now Animal Crossing won't be out until 6 months after the Japanese version. The entire blame for the 3DS western situation is Nintendo's. Apple and other competitors may have prevented the 3DS from reaching GBA or DS numbers but Nintendo is the reason they aren't doing much better. And NoA's incompetence in regards to the 3DS XL color situation is appalling. In somewhat good news they seem to have realized how terrible they are at localization time for a billion dollar company and are finally doing a simultaenous Pokemon release.

Madouu

Why not? 360 and Wii U are both home to competitive multiplatform 3rd party titles. They're competitive.

And the Wii U versions are technically inferior! It's not like when the 360 launched with enhanced versions of Gun or King Kong

That's what Microsoft PR decided to go with.

As far as I am concerned, I am not interested in this debate : next gen, current gen or whatever is just words to me. I only use the word to help people who do not follow the gaming news understand that a console is new and not just a revision of an old one.

kswiston

Why wasn't Animal Crossing release this holiday? Did they expect Paper Mario and NSMB2 to be enough? And it's releasing all the way in June...

AC, Pokemon, Mario&Luigi, and other games will ensure 3DS has a good second half of the year. Next NPD has Fire Emblem which should help sales. They really should've released AC earlier though.

NoA really screwed up with Fire Emblem. I don't know if they were experimenting with driving people towards digital sales, but you would think that a company that has had as many million sellers as them would be able to keep a moderately sized title in stock. Especially since they were pushing the game fairly well online (I don't watch TV to know if there was a media campaign). Games don't sell out all that often where I am, but Fire Emblem is sold out at Best Buy, Future Shop, almost every EB Games within 100km, and every major online retailer. Eventually the hype is going to die down, and Nintendo will have lost sales in the process.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Here are my personal estimates. :) Except in the cases where figures are known, rounded to the nearest 5K.

Xbox 360: 281K
PS3: 200K
3DS: 145K
Wii: 100K
NDS: 70K
WiiU: 57K
PSV: 35K
PSP: 10K
PS2: 0K

I should go see how painful my predictions were. :(

No manufacturing issues making cartridges. Just a guess. If they can't supply enough of them to Japan, imagine if they also shipped around the rest of the world?

This is a better explanation. Although I don't think Nintendo was planning on having that manufacturing problem, so that can't be why they originally didn't put the game last holiday.

For a 6 year old generation the 360, PS3, and even the Wii for what it is are doing pretty damn good. Just shows that the Wii U's horrendous number has nothing to do with the console market in general.

Sandfox

NoA really screwed up with Fire Emblem. I don't know if they were experimenting with driving people towards digital sales, but you would think that a company that has had as many million sellers as them would be able to keep a moderately sized title in stock. Especially since they were pushing the game fairly well. Games don't sell out all that often where I am, but Fire Emblem is sold out at Best Buy, Future Shop, almost every EB Games within 100km, and every major online retailer. Eventually the hype is going to die down, and Nintendo will have lost sales in the process.

Given how long it took for FE to come I wouldn't be surprised if they shipped out a low number of stock in case it sold bad which would make it even harder to find.

As I understand it, the Fire Emblem thing was at first a legit distribution issue where something major happened in the process and copies didn't go out as scheduled. Then something else happened in manufacturing which is far more their fault.

Road

Why wasn't Animal Crossing released this holiday? Did they expect Paper Mario and NSMB2 to be enough? And it's releasing all the way in June...

Yes. It's obvious Nintendo looked at NSMB as their most powerful card, which is why they were so confident 2 and U would sell 3DS and Wii U for months and months by themselves. They did a very simplistic analysis of "what were our biggest selling games on Wii* and DS?" and went on from there.

(*although NSMBWii has a lower total than MKWii, launch aligned, it was selling faster.)

C4Lukins

How many succesful action games have there been since DMC4/GOW3/NG2? Or are they not within the same genre as well?

Well these games are not super old and the genre itself has always been composed of just a few noticeable games. Plus all three of those games were disappointing for many people. Bayonetta was pretty damn good but just like all of Platinum games releases it never had a big push. I think the genre benefits from next gen hardware more then other genres.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I can't help but think that even if DmC had been *godly* - Bayonetta quality gameplay with Enslaved level storytelling - it wouldn't of sold that many more units.

I'm just sort of depressed with where the $60 market is at these days.

Top Bottom