• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD May 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: 3DS And Wii Hardware Sales]

antonz

TheAtomicPile said:
Nothing like this can really be assumed anymore when the market is changing so rapidly.

Has everybody already forgotten about the PS3?
No they havent forgotten. Trolling since E3 has gone unchecked.

What this shows is Nintendo learned nothing from DS launch though. Even though DS launched 100 dollars cheaper it sold like shit because content wasnt there.

Content,Content,Content moves hardware

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ok, here we go.
whatwillsave3DS.png

What will happen? Stay tuned to the GAF NPD threads for the answer!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I really believe Nintendo and the 3DS have a tough time ahead of it.

The 3DS seems to have been created to grab more hardcore gamers while still grasping onto the casual gamers Nintendo obtained from the DS/Wii. But I just don't see it happening. The 3DS has already failed at getting any REAL major western third-party support, while barely offering any casual experiences for a waning crowd lost to the simpler and more convenient hardware on the streets today (and where in the hell is the casual experiences Nintendo? Have you totally given up on this market?). You have the PS Vita coming in at the SAME EXACT price offering higher technology and strong core-focused titles for the hardcore gamers while the I-Pad and smartphones are taking over any casual gaming money/time that would of usually been spent on the DS.

Then you have the major wtf of Nintendo completely cannibalizing its major handheld this generation. The 3DS is competing/bringing (very) similar software compared to systems that are cheaper and more established (and still-running) like Nintendo's own DS and Wii, along with the upcoming Wii U which will be taking a huge bite into 3DS gaming time at the house. Also it is looking like Nintendo has put its hat in a corner that is falling by the waste-side; 3D (again), which has become nothing more than viewed as a glorified gimmick. And you got Nintendo's online system which is still ancient and cumbersome; sorry, the new E shop is nice... but it doesn't make up for the sub-standard browser and lack-of content.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a Gamecube-like performance for the 3DS at the end of this handheld generation.

the 3ds seems to not be distinguishing itself from the ds. The box, the system, the design, it all looks like a ds. The average consumer doesn't really realize the difference right now in my opinion.

Sianos

chubigans said:
Ok, here we go.
whatwillsave3DS.png

What will happen? Stay tuned to the GAF NPD threads for the answer!
None of those proposed solutions will work
as there is no Paper Mario on that board! <3

All kidding aside, that's a neat image. I like how you can still sort of see the residue of the PS3 writing.

spwolf

3DS can come back up, users did not forget Nintendo... but it might need serious relaunch.

It seems Nintendo learned absolutely nothing from PS3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
elrechazao said:
the 3ds seems to not be distinguishing itself from the ds. The box, the system, the design, it all looks like a ds. The average consumer doesn't really realize the difference right now in my opinion.
Amir0x posted this in another thread:

2uz732s.jpg

The 3DS is listed on the banner as if it were a DS variant.

spwolf said:
3DS can come back up, users did not forget Nintendo... but it might need serious relaunch.

It seems Nintendo learned absolutely nothing from PS3.

I know the price is high, but not ps3 high. come on.

$250 would have worked had it been the holiday season. Launching in spring made the price unsustainable at the level i am sure they expected.

Nintendo has to do a massive campaign this fall to separate the 3DS from the DS. The mass market doesn't know it's not a regular DS.

I think that, coupled with some key titles will give it a good boost this holiday. We'll see what happens from there. But the absolute key is differentiation.

elrechazao said:

Ive been saying this since week one, I even overheard a kid say to his mom that its the same thing but with 3d games.

TL4E

Skiesofwonder said:
I really believe Nintendo and the 3DS have a tough time ahead of it.

The 3DS seems to have been created to grab more hardcore gamers while still grasping onto the casual gamers Nintendo obtained from the DS/Wii. But I just don't see it happening. The 3DS has already failed at getting any REAL major western third-party support, while barely offering any casual experiences for a waning crowd lost to the simpler and more convenient hardware on the streets today (and where in the hell is the casual experiences Nintendo? Have you totally given up on this market?). You have the PS Vita coming in at the SAME EXACT price offering higher technology and strong core-focused titles for the hardcore gamers while the I-Pad and smartphones are taking over any casual gaming money/time that would of usually been spent on the DS.

Then you have the major wtf of Nintendo completely cannibalizing its major handheld this generation. The 3DS is competing/bringing (very) similar software compared to systems that are cheaper and more established (and still-running) like Nintendo's own DS and Wii, along with the upcoming Wii U which will be taking a huge bite into 3DS gaming time at the house. Also it is looking like Nintendo has put its hat in a corner that is falling by the waste-side; 3D (again), which has become nothing more than viewed as a glorified gimmick. And you got Nintendo's online system which is still ancient and cumbersome; sorry, the new E shop is nice... but it doesn't make up for the sub-standard browser and lack-of content.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a Gamecube-like performance for the 3DS at the end of this handheld generation.
Your first paragraph is basically "not enough games," which is true, but we're far too early to judge that now. The DS also had a lackluster library for the first two years of its life.

The "core" demographic is likely waiting for better software before biting (which includes me), and I've heard this sentiment expressed almost everywhere. The casuals are already eating up the console at a fairly decent rate -- Nintendogs + Cats is the best selling game on the 3DS, already selling 1.71 million units.

I will concede the point about the lack of online however, Nintendo needs to fix that shit asap.

As for 3DS pulling off a Gamecube performance: you seriously think the 3DS will only sell 1/10th of what the DS did? Because the Gamecube sold 20 million total, and the DS is at 150 million and will get damn near to 200 million by the time it dies out. The Gamecube was by and large a failure, and it is very unlikely the 3DS will flop that badly.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
elrechazao said:
I'm sure they're aware of the 3D features, but those didn't go over very well. The similarity is a problem that the original DS didn't really have to overcome.

itxaka

Defeatist
Does somebody have the gif of that pole vaulter which wasn't able to jump and was modified to put the ps3 and 100k on it? Somebody should rescue it for future npds. OMG nintendo what have you done.

Rhindle

elrechazao said:
This. The current perception of the is that it is a DS with a 3D screen at a $150 price surcharge.

The current crop of games does little to change that impression.

Also, whoever decided to cut the DS pricing to $99 right after launching the 3DS at $250 should subjected to a slow death at the hands of Yamauchi-dispatched Ninjas. Try convincing a soccer mom to spring for a 250% price premium to play "the same games with 3D."

That's very low sales for 3DS.

Is normal that DS had some bad months in the start. It was the succesor of GBA, a console that was not widespread. The demography was gamers and young people. But DS enhanced their market to all kind of target, so 3DS should have a more succesful start.

Maybe the problem is that all that new target of DS are not the "early adopter" type. I don't think that all that people that bought a DS to play some Brain Training, Professor Layton, Art Academy or similar games are the kind of people that buy a new Nintendo console because is a new Nintendo console and is 3D. They're too confortable with the DSXL playing the same games that they bought a year ago.

NeoUltima

Holy crap at 3DS. I couldn't have imagined it selling that little. Insane.

I expect a price drop announcement within a few months.

Skiesofwonder said:

Will Vita outsell it?

(the answer could be "yes" but instead of 200M in handheld sales combined the market may just contract to like sub-150M)

Ashes

Banned
So anybody mention the fact that the wii is in free fall, crashing and burning, and the ps3 still can't sell more?

I can't believe Nintendo hired the marketing people they did, when there was a whole pool of industry experts right here on gaf

Their best bet right now would be to fire Reggie and hire RandomDude69

Nirolak said:
Nintendo is setting themselves up for trouble by calling their next console the "Wii U". People are going to come in to buy that new screen controller for their Wii.

"No, I have a Wii system. Just sell me the new U controller."

a Master Ninja said:
Nintendo is setting themselves up for trouble by calling their next console the "Wii U". People are going to come in to buy that new screen controller for their Wii.

"No, I have a Wii system. Just sell me the new U controller."
Yep. I can imagine tons of customer confusion at retail. Heck, just call it Wii2

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ashes1396 said:
So anybody mention the fact that the wii is in free fall, crashing and burning, and the ps3 still can't sell more?
Seriously? The Wii had a price cut in May and the PS3 had the whole PSN fiasco they were going through (which probably didn't affect sales by an incredible amount, but still).

Keyouta

Nirolak said:
Amir0x posted this in another thread:

Now that's some good marketing.

But, really, what's the goal in marketing it like that? :/

lunchwithyuzo said:
I have a 20 minute commute daily each way on the train and saw my first 3DS in the wild yesterday. I usually get 1-3 street passes daily though, so they're out there. Makes sense, I always carry mine but rarely play it in public.

I do see DSes all the time though, usually kids have them. I very rarely see a PSP or GBA. iDevices and Kindles are everywhere though, I definitely see more of each than all gaming handhelds combined.

I also forgot to mention newspaper which I see a lot of people reading daily.

Also, I see a lot of DSs on the street, it'll still stay in the same spot on my list, but I've seen more than 3 if I included kids walking around with parents in the streets, etc. I was specifically talking about what people are doing in the train. I usually commute during rush hours with few exceptions.

Ashes

Banned
chubigans said:
Seriously? The Wii had a price cut in May and the PS3 had the whole PSN fiasco they were going through (which probably didn't affect sales by an incredible amount, but still).

Oh a price cut? didn't know that. Fair enough then. Although X360 seems in good stead at least.

I think we should start a rumour that there's speculation that Ps3 will have a price cut as well soon. See if any website picks it up... just for the hell of it... :p

Saw something about another cell shrinkage or something on beyond3d, so it might just be true... A few retailers over here in the uk seem to be selling the ps3 for £199 as well.

onQ123

UberTag said:
If you're talking about launch-aligned in North America, the PSP comes out way ahead of the 3DS.

If you're talking about 3DS vs. PSP globally THIS year, even with the PSP dominating the entirety of Japan the 3DS has outsold it globally and outsold it in Japan. In fact, it has outsold everything else in Japan this year despite the vacuum of a software lineup and an earthquake that crippled the country's economy a week after it launched.

It's way too premature to say that smartphones have killed portable game systems. Not with Pokemon Black & White outselling everything this year. The only thing phones have killed is the Brain Age franchise.

I'm talking about this month

97k 3DS vs 59K < PSP

depending on the yoy % rise in PSP sells we are looking at maybe less than 30k difference

Acrylic7

Didn't Pokemon Black and White get released just moments before the 3DS?

why didn't they just develop Black and White for it instead? To me it seems like a no brainier sort of thing, but hey I could be missing something.

Pokemon would have pushed a crazy amount of units. The only reason I didn't get a 3ds was the lack of Paper Mario. I know I will get a 3ds later but for now there is no reason to own one imo.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
1-D_FTW said:
They include it, but only retail. Who the fuck is buying Witcher 2 retail? I would think Steam or GoG is making up over 90 percent of their sales. If there's any consolation about NPD becoming major jerks, it's that they're also becoming completely irrelevant. They rock it like it's 1988.

I do, not only because my GB download limit per month is ridiculously low for a big game like Witcher 2, but also because i like having a cool box like the one from this game.

saunderez

Keyouta said:
Now that's some good marketing.

But, really, what's the goal in marketing it like that? :/
To make people say "I've already got a DS, guess I don't need to worry about the new one".

It's the only conclusion I could come up with anyway.

Kusagari

The 3DS name does nothing to differentiate it from the DS itself. All it implies to a normal person is that it's a regular DS with 3D effects. Nintendo has completely failed in getting the public to realize it's something different. And the Wii U name seems like it could have a similar disastrous effect.

chubigans said:
The ps3's sales were up yoy by 30, consistent with what they've been doing this year the whole year. Seems to not really have been affected by those things at all, so the point remains.
Kusagari said:
The 3DS name does nothing to differentiate it from the DS itself. All it implies to a normal person is that it's a regular DS with 3D effects. Nintendo has completely failed in getting the public to realize it's something different. And the Wii U name seems like it could have a similar disastrous effect.
Totally agree. If they make the same packaging and marketing mistakes(they've already made the same naming mistake), it might not go so well initially for the wii u.

saunderez said:
To make people say "I've already got a DS, guess I don't need to worry about the new one".

It's the only conclusion I could come up with anyway.

They have the problem that they need to associate it with the DS brand, because is a succesful one, but in the same time sell it as something completly new instead of a revision.

They can have the same problem with WiiU, btw...

Deadbeat

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
i really feel sorry for all those folks that bought brink. a shame that such a broken game sold that well.
Thats what the summer is for. Desperate sale extravaganza.

At least Brink shows that Splash Damage is a one trick pony.

Anth0ny

NSQuote said:
None of those proposed solutions will work
as there is no Paper Mario on that board! <3

All kidding aside, that's a neat image. I like how you can still sort of see the residue of the PS3 writing.

lol @ anything other than Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, price cut, or possibly 3DS Lite generating significant sales.

And I mean it. Those three games are literally all that will sell well for it's entire life. Maybe Smash Bros...

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
MikeE21286 said:
Will Vita outsell it?

(the answer could be "yes" but instead of 200M in handheld sales combined the market may just contract to like sub-150M)

In america? No. Nintendo still will have the younger audience buying up its hardware. But it is going to be really close. I think PsVita will own the European and Japanese markets though.

I do believe the hand-held gaming market is going to size-ably shrink this generation in North America, but i'm not sure if it will be a 50M decline or not.

Of course I hope to be wrong.

Top Bottom