• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD May 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: 3DS And Wii Hardware Sales]

Seda

Totally forgot today was NPD day.

LA Noire and Brink? I thought they were both underwhelming. That's what Rockstar gets for it's great pedigree though.

Pandoracell said:
All things considered, I think Slash Damage should be pretty happy with those numbers.
Agreed - I think the game is amazing, especially post-patch - however it was a shitfest online at launch and all of my friends returned the game. I don't expect it will sell much more overall - the userbase seems really low - particularly in Australia. Anything but 'standard rules' have zero players, and the standard rules often puts me in a game with only one or two people in it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
chubigans said:
Just give us some 3DS numbers and this thread will rocket into awesome.

Why? No software releases should mean a slow sales month. I don't know anybody who'd expect otherwise.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
EviLore said:
Brink (360, PS3) -- 401K
Mortal Kombat (360, PS3) -- 292K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

Ouch if those are top 5.... man software sales were AWFUL last month...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
elrechazao said:
People who saw ds sales?

DS had a horrible start sales-wise. Would have been much worse were it not for the initial holiday season.

Seda

jmdajr said:
did ps3 beaT WII?

We know approx what the PS3 sold in May, and that the Wii is down from last year. But it could still easily beat what the PS3 sold. My guess is that it did.

xbhaskarx

jett said:
Does this thread mark the death of sales-age? Seems so.

At this rate next month's NPD numbers will be posted in "This thread is for Gaming questions that don't deserve their own thread"...

The M.O.B

Bethesda tricked 401k people, how nice.

Brink has a completely broken launch for the first 2-3 weeks.

Happy I only payed $36, disappointing after the high expectations I had.

Gravijah

xbhaskarx said:
At this rate next month's NPD numbers will be posted in "This thread is for Gaming questions that don't deserve their own thread"...

Seems more like it would deserve to be placed in Off-Topic. :p

Tron 2.0

Red Nightmare said:
People really buy those shitty Lego games? Why?
They also counted sales from SEVEN platforms.

Who knows where it would have placed if they still counted single skus.

Not passing judgement on the game, though. I haven't played it.

Goldmund

The advertising for L.A. Noire [sic!] was insane in Munich. I've never seen so many ads for a video game. Where I expected to see skimpily clad women selling clothes, watches and not being poor, I happened upon Faye Dunaway dead at the wheel.

Was it similar in the States?

Seda

creamsugar said:
LA: 360>ps3
brink: 360>ps3
lego: Wii>360>3ds>ps3>ds>psp
DoA: <20k

Nothing unexpected I think.

Wonder when we'll hear from Sony and Ninty.

creamsugar said:
I think Wii is better than ps3 this month.

I would be quite shocked if it wasn't actually, especially considering the price drop.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Frillen said:
This is the slowest NPD thread since 2004.
Fanboys just aren't in the mood to cheerlead the platform holders after a downer E3 and the PSN fiasco. Ninty is basically a lame duck until they get the Wii U out. And there were barely any notable May software releases on top of that.

I don't really expect much NPD excitement until the fall.

sillymonkey321 said:
Lack of options, men do desperate things.
Ugh, even a Sears ad would be less shameful.

jvm

Gamasutra.
For the record.
Sony PR said:
We are pleased to see that according to the May NPD report, PlayStation 3 hardware sales increased 14% year-over-year, marking the fourth consecutive month of double-digit growth. The PS3 platform is stronger than ever, and with the launch of Infamous 2, we continue to show our commitment to delivering the best and freshest content line-up available to our consumers. At E3 last week, we saw first-hand the consumer excitement for 3D, PlayStation Move and our first party franchise titles that will continue to drive the brand.
-- Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA

Top Bottom