• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD May 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: 3DS And Wii Hardware Sales]

Seda

Loudninja said:
Wii had a price drop?

It's $149.XX now to go along with the new Mario Kart bundle and Wii Select games. Most stores have the older Wii Sports Resort bundles on "clearance" at $149 as well.

Pride

Amir0x said:
Nice to see L.A. Noire, although it doesn't deserve a spot that high (7.5/10). It was heavily flawed but I'd like to see them work the concept into something genuinely great. The foundation is there, unlike a Heavy Rain.

I completely agree that L.A. Noire is over-rated. Without the Rockstar name attached I dont think this title would have gotten over an 80 MC. Hurry up with RDR2 pls :)

Loudninja

Seda said:
It's $149.XX now to go along with the new Mario Kart bundle and Wii Select games. Most stores have the older Wii Sports Resort bundles on "clearance" at $149 as well.
Oh ok thank you.

mr stroke

Dance In My Blood said:
Sales-age doesn't work without the numbers.

+1

Its like a Box Office thread with out numbers :(

I don't even genrally check the NPD threads now until the next day once more of the numbers have leaked

Striker

That amount for L.A. Noire seems rather low, or at least average, for a Rockstar game. What was Red Dead Redemption's first sales in its month?

slit

Striker said:
That amount for L.A. Noire seems rather low, or at least average, for a Rockstar game. What was Red Dead Redemption's first sales in its month?

Over 1.5 million.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
xbhaskarx said:
So they are listed in sales order:
3ds and ds reversed for lego.

Although I very much doubt that the 3ds version was the 3rd best selling anyhow.

xbhaskarx

Tron 2.0 said:
The Lego orders do not match up.
Only 3DS and NDS don't match up, and they're just switched. At this point there are far too many coincidences (look at the other games: Xbox first for Portal2, CoD, NBA; PS3 first for Mortal Kombat, etc.) for me to believe the occasional minor discrepancies such as that are anything other than errors.
user_nat said:

Although I very much doubt that the 3ds version was the 3rd best selling anyhow.

Right, looks like NPD has the order right and the GAF user or his source accidentally reversed them.

duk

Banned
interestings:
- LA Noire sold more on 360
- wii sales will continue to decline, now that everyone knows wii u will come out next year
- 3ds price drop needed

DMeisterJ

Banned
user_nat said:

It was probably something like 250-300k for Wii/360 and peanuts for the rest. Not surprising for 3DS to be 3rd for a game that only sold under 400k total.

Edit:

So they are in order.

PSGames said:
Most fighting fans bought Ssf4 since it was available at launch.

SSF4 sold < 100k in March. With handheld games now approaching console development prices, you're going to see much more cross-platform ports instead of original games unless 1) most games don't bother to scale up with the hw, or 2) the attach rates are much higher than they've been historically.

DMeisterJ said:
It was probably something like 250-300k for Wii/360 and peanuts for the rest. Not surprising for 3DS to be 3rd for a game that only sold under 400k total.

Edit:

So they are in order.
i thought most sane people had already figured that out :)

i'd been believing it for the last few months anyway, no matter what it claimed in the OP.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Busaiku said:
So 3DS is at PSP levels.
That's gotta suck.

Think about how long the respective systems have been out.

Skilletor

Sho_Nuff82 said:
SSF4 sold < 100k in March. With handheld games now approaching console development prices, you're going to see much more cross-platform ports instead of original games unless 1) most games don't bother to scale up with the hw, or 2) the attach rates are much higher than they've been historically.

I thought it was said in an interview that Vita development was closer in cost to PSP games than ps3 games.

What was Red Dead's numbers? I know GTA IV sold like crazy, but did LA Noire do well as Red Dead at launch?

And the 3DS needs more games. Nintendo should have waited until some of the more popular games were finished.

If Nintendo launched the 3DS with...

Zelda Ocarina of Time
Kid Icarus 3DS
Luigi's Mansion 2
Star Fox 3DS

With 3rd parties like...

Resident Evil Mercenaries
Super SFIV
DOA Dimensions
Ghost Recon
etc.

...than it would've been the best Nintendo handheld launch. Right now, I think it was the worst.

Pilot Wings and NintenDogs + Cats is just not going to cut it.

I would've gladly waited a few more months.

Delio

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
What was Red Dead's numbers? I know GTA IV sold like crazy, but did LA Noire do well as Red Dead at launch?

And the 3DS needs more games. Nintendo should have waited until some of the more popular games were finished.

If Nintendo launched the 3DS with...

Zelda Ocarina of Time
Kid Icarus 3DS
Luigi's Mansion 2
Star Fox 3DS

With 3rd parties like...

Resident Evil Mercenaries
Super SFIV
DOA Dimensions
Ghost Recon
etc.

...than it would've been the best Nintendo handheld launch. Right now, I think it was the worst.

Pilot Wings and NintenDogs + Cats is just not going to cut it.

I would've gladly waited a few more months.

You you would have to be batshit insane to think they would launch with all that LOL

duk said:
interestings:
- LA Noire sold more on 360
Do you think Sony is getting value for money from all the money-hatting they've been doing since Arkham Asylum?

I know alot of stuff still sold more on 360. Recently Dead Space 2 was confirmed selling more on 360 in the UK despite being advertised as a PS3 exclusive. It seems like Sony made it a strategy to secure game content exclusives or similar (special editions etc.) but i'm not feeling their efforts are changing the tide. Karma for saying they don't money hat beforehand u think heh?

KingDizzi

Banned
CadetMahoney said:
Do you think Sony is getting value for money from all the money-hatting they've been doing since Arkham Asylum?

I know alot of stuff still sold more on 360. Recently Dead Space 2 was confirmed selling more on 360 in the UK despite being advertised as a PS3 exclusive. It seems like Sony made it a strategy to secure game content exclusives or similar (special editions etc.) but i'm not feeling their efforts are changing the tide. Karma for saying they don't money hat beforehand u think heh?
The areas where 360 has sold more, software sales for multiplat games are higher compared to PS3 and it's the opposite where the PS3 sales are higher, shocker! Exclusive advertising also does nothing, look at how heavily the COD games are advertised and again shock is imminent of that I'm sure, the 360 version sells best where 360 hardware sales are higher and it's the opposite in places where PS3 sales are higher. Of course everyone knows that so I'm just replying to this stupid post for no reason, this is what you have done to me NPD! PAL, NPD and media create sales age has become really boring now, will now visit boxofficemojo threads and bitch about movies doing well which I hate.

AniHawk

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Right now, I think it was the worst.

the ds launch and launch window was way suckier. people forget how sucky those first 6-8 months were (although we got yoshi touch & go out of it i guess).

NateDrake

AniHawk said:
the ds launch and launch window was way suckier. people forget how sucky those first 6-8 months were (although we got yoshi touch & go out of it i guess).
Now that game was a shallow overpriced title with no content to it. Makes PilotWings Resort look like Elder Scrolls.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
With no interesting games left (for the majority of gamers anyway) other than Zelda, Wii will have such "interesting" numbers in the next 12 or so months...

*Sigh* why did Nintendo had to abandon the Wii so fast when their next console isn't even ready? Idiots.

Good on L.A. Noire and Brink. Both fantastic games. And glad to see Portal 2 have some legs.

But this begs the question: If Brink is doing well....why do I only end up playing with bots online? Sad face.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
duk said:
BRAND NEW system should have more hype and excitement than a mediocre selling one?

Or, for those that think logically, ~1 million 3DS systems out there compared to millions and millions of PSPs. WAY bigger userbase usually means way more software sales.

LQX

I wonder what kind of numbers L.A Noire would have done without the Rockstar brand...not as good I think.

AniHawk

lunchwithyuzo said:
DS sold a whopping 152,091 it's 3rd NPD. And that was a January, so it had the post-holiday lift. It's 4th NPD it dropped under 100k.
and then it was hilariously bundled with the gba sales for a few months, because that's how shitty things were.

Top Bottom