• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: PlayStation 5 has highest launch month for a hardware platform in U.S. history.

Interfectum

It's going to be interesting when all the xbox fans switch from stressing over console sales to 'bu bu GamePass' in their daily arguments. Series X and S are never going to outsell or even get close to Switch or PS5's units. This is as good as it's going to get so might as well start researching your MAU argument bullpoints now. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

assurdum

Banned
Again, it was more about the latter part of his claim.
That's not what you said
Dunno where you are, but all consoles are sold out pretty much everywhere. The Series S might be back in stock for like an hour but then it's gone again.
Anyway
Amazon Spain https://www.amazon.es/Microsoft-RRS-00009-Xbox-Series-S/dp/B087VM5XC6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=xbox+series+s&qid=1607701530&quartzVehicle=861-1514&replacementKeywords=xbox+series&sr=8-1

Last edited:
If it debuted lower than the XB1 and still sold completely out, that's a supply issue...not a games issue.

This is funny though, before today there was no talk of supply constraints, everyone thought X/S, especially with the cheap Series S, would blow past XB1's numbers in the US.

Now that the numbers are out, talk has switched to 'no stock'.

It's going to be interesting when all the xbox fans switch from stressing over console sales to 'bu bu GamePass' in their daily arguments. Series X and S are never going to outsell or even get close to Switch or PS5's units. This is as good as it's going to get so might as well start researching your MAU argument bullpoints now. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Well, consoles barely make any money. The entire point of this console endeavor is to lure gamers into your marketplace and make money on that 30% fee.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I just realized....there are gonna be more excuses this gen if/when PS5 sales damn near double Series consoles.

One things for sure....power doesnt sell consoles like some think. MS seriously didnt think the demand was gonna be higher with all that powa? I wonder how long Phil, MS can lean on 'started manufacturing later because we had to wait for AMD tech to be ready.'

If thats the case....Series X should have infinity cache and Zen 3 L3 cache setup...maybe Series X has some RDNA 3, Zen 4 tech? :oops:

So much contradictory info from folks that have inside MS, Xbox info over the past year.

Whats wild about all that....didnt github show Series X already with RT and VRS....isnt that how all the PS5 doesnt have RT started....

?

yurinka

So Microsoft was talking about the UK when they said it was the biggest launch in Xbox history?
I'd say they were talking about worldwide sales. Consider that at launch day they released it in more countries than XBO. So sales in these extra countries could compensate the difference in USA.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Well, consoles barely make any money. The entire point of this console endeavor is to lure gamers into your marketplace and make money on that 30% fee.

Consoles are, by far, the biggest way to generate money from your ecosystem. MAUs from PC and mobile mean jackshit when compared to a console owner. You'll see this in earnings reports from Sony vs MS unless MS finds a way to hide how much they are making from Xbox.

Topher

Gold Member
I just realized....there are gonna be more excuses this gen if/when PS5 sales damn near double Series consoles.

One things for sure....power doesnt sell consoles like some think. MS seriously didnt think the demand was gonna be higher with all that powa? I wonder how long Phil, MS can lean on 'started manufacturing later because we had to wait for AMD tech to be ready.'

If thats the case....Series X should have infinity cache and Zen 3 L3 cache setup...maybe Series X has some RDNA 3, Zen 4 tech? :oops:

So much contradictory info from folks that have inside MS, Xbox info over the past year.

Whats wild about all that....didnt github show Series X already with RT and VRS....isnt that how all the PS5 doesnt have RT started....

?

giphy.gif

One thing the world has no shortage of is excuses.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Demon's Souls at 10 is disappointing. I wasn't going to buy it because I didn't like it that much on PS3 but it's an incredible achievement. I keep thinking about it.

I'm playing as a Royal this time and it's a lot more fun and manageable with the magic spells.

They decided to produce less cause they shipped in more countries and theres a global pandemic that halted production for Xbox and PS5.. Do you guys use your brains or just type to type?

That pandemic also affects Sony and Nintendo. Even worse because they have to manage the release and development of games too at the same time.

PS4 games and consoles are still being produced and distributed along with the PS5. Meanwhile, Xbox completely stopped the production of S/One X months ago and I could still find the launch edition of Gears 5 for 10 bucks (with Terminator code) at Walmart last week. They are not printing new copies of that.

It's great that they sold everything tho so there is some demand there but blaming the pandemic? I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Interfectum

No they're not. They're usually sold at cost or maybe slightly above. There is no money in selling consoles.

I'm not talking about the money made from console, im talking about the console customer they gained from the sale. Customers with your console generate the most money for your ecosystem.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Software:

Eo9jHFJUwAAY4k_

The people arguing that the sold-out Xbox would've sold more (lmao) if it came with exclusives need to look at this. Demon's Souls is a borderline bomba, especially since these are dollar sales and DeS costs 70 bucks a piece.
It is November... all these titles have big sales numbers.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about the money made from console, im talking about the console customer they gained from the sale. Customers with your console generate the most money for your ecosystem.

Yes, that's how the system worked in the past. Now the paradigm is slowly shifting.

Rolla

Banned
"The Series X|S debuted lower than XB1"

I called that months ago... with the MS marketing situation I couldn't see how they could sell more than XB1 in US.
Series S/X debuted lower than XB1 :messenger_grimmacing_

Series X|S supply is really really bad.
Xbox One sold ~900k in 9 days
Series X|S sold less than that in 19 days
[/QUOTE]

Some were calling this a while ago. I expected them to release with better numbers but there were so many missed opportunities. Basic and inexcuseable missed opportunities like a showcase of actual SX gameplay etc

The Series S is going to sell better than Series X throughout the year for years to come. Xbox don't really have $499 console selling power outside of launch & Christmas Series S is needed

That will literally be impossible based on the pre order allocation stock

What does $299 mean to casual players when the PS4/Xbox One has been this price since 2016, plays almost all the same games at the similar resolution?

There is a reason the stock allocation heavily favors Series X.

yurinka

Demon's Souls at 10 is disappointing. I wasn't going to buy it because I didn't like it that much on PS3 but it's an incredible achievement. I keep thinking about it.
Nope, Souls never have been super seller games compared to the series of games like the ones released recently (CoD, AC, Watchdogs, Spider-Man, etc). In a crazy November month like these one, even considering two console launches and the pandemic, I think it's a great performance to be in the overall top 10 considering it's exclusive.

Last edited:

chonga

They decided to produce less cause they shipped in more countries and theres a global pandemic that halted production for Xbox and PS5.. Do you guys use your brains or just type to type?
The pandemic did no such thing. Sony been very upfront about that. Not to mention not all factories closed and those that did only did so for a couple of weeks. Shit, Apple publicly said they were restarting lines before the virus even took hold in Europe or the US all those months ago.

And even if we humoured you and said OK it was an issue - PS5 hit record numbers. So how can you use it as an excuse for MS going lower? They'd both be affected. I think it is you not using your brain.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Eh, we'll see. MS is playing the long game. Their vision is to be able to play literally everywhere.
They absolutely still would prefer people buy an Xbox over their other channels.

Don't buy their PR that it doesn't matter to them, XBox division wants revenue.. people outside of the Xbox ecosystem are not going to provide them with the same amount of revenue, bottom line... if all you do is subscribe to Gamepass and never buy anything else? Sure... but that is also not MS's preferred customer.. their preferred customer is buying other things via their store they get at least a 30% cut on. Hardly anyone buys anything on Windows Store, and even if they do, MS's cut is MUUUUCH lower (they've had to lower it as low as 5% to try to get devs to use Windows Store, they've failed.)

In the end what the division needs is revenue and profit... they are only playing the "long game" because they have to, not because they want to.

Sony makes an enormous amount of money from 3rd party MTX; it's actually the largest portion of their revenue.. and it's like pure profit for them.

Last edited:
They absolutely still would prefer people buy an Xbox over their other channels.

Don't buy their PR that it doesn't matter to them, XBox division wants revenue.. people outside of the Xbox ecosystem are not going to provide them with the same amount of revenue, bottom line... if all you do is subscribe to Gamepass and never buy anything else? Sure... but that is also not MS's preferred customer.. their preferred customer is buying other things via their store they get at least a 30% cut on. Hardly anyone buys anything on Windows Store, and even if they do, MS's cut is MUUUUCH lower (they've had to lower it as low as 5% to try to get devs to use Windows Store, they've failed.)

I mean yeah, they still make the most money if they can sell you a console. But their long term thinking is "why peak at maybe ~100m customers if all stars align correctly when we can target ~1b+ people with Gamepass and play anywhere?". Will it work out? Who knows. But if it does, Sony might be in trouble.

Top Bottom