• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: PlayStation 5 has highest launch month for a hardware platform in U.S. history.

PS5 is probably close to Switch numbers having the edge in revenue due the $499 model... the $399 model cost the same I believe.

And.

"The Series X|S debuted lower than XB1"

I called that months ago... with the MS marketing situation I couldn't see how they could sell more than XB1 in US.

PS5 could've sold 1.1 million units only and still beat Switch revenue vise easly.
Switch ASP is below $290
PS5 ASP is above $470

on topic:
Series X|S supply is really really bad.
Xbox One sold ~900k in 9 days
Series X|S sold less than that in 19 days

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Mat clearly says both unit and dollar sales.
You are right.. but the keyword is launch month.

Anyways I edited my post because either way my math was fucked lol

All we know is NPD is estimating under 1.3 million because Switch won the month.

kyussman

Fuck,lol.....I'm in the UK but I'm not getting my hands on a PS5 till like May/June am I.....and I mean just casually logging on and ordering one,I can't be bothered with constantly monitoring restocks everywhere.

It wasn't a decision lmao. They produced as many consoles as they could. Idk if you remember but the Xbox One launch was quite limited back in 2013, while Series launched worldwide.
That's also a factor for sure. Again true test is end of jan and feburary when consumers usually stop the holiday shopping craze. (For both ps and xbox)

bxrz

Doesn't matter. They decided to produce less. So their own projection is lower hence produced less. Again what matters how these machines will do once holiday season is over.
They decided to produce less cause they shipped in more countries and theres a global pandemic that halted production for Xbox and PS5.. Do you guys use your brains or just type to type?

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
Numbers are great! Grats to all! Anyone think this year is peak for Switch or goes higher because of Nintendo’s massive amount of games announced and still in development (e.g. BOTW2) ?

FStubbs

PS5 really might hit 200 million. This thing is a monster.

Numbers are great! Grats to all! Anyone think this year is peak for Switch or goes higher because of Nintendo’s massive amount of games announced and still in development (e.g. BOTW2) ?

Switch is doing quite well considering it has no tentpole fall releases besides Age of Calamity.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Showing the Demand for games is still insanely strong which is good. Switch Pro is gonna do gang busters next holiday. Microsoft is gonna have a hard time keeping those numbers strong with Halo being pushed to Fall 2021. They better have a stellar lineup for next holiday. Sony is continuing to do well with the current plan. I see no reason to change.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
First month or three of sales will always just be a matter of who can supply the most consoles.
They are both still bottlenecked by supply.

ethomaz

Banned
PS5 could've sold 1.1 million units only and still beat Switch revenue vise easly.
Switch ASP is below $290
PS5 ASP is above $470

on topic:
Series X|S supply is really really bad.
Xbox One sold ~900k in 9 days
Series X|S sold less than that in 19 days
It is confirmed over what PS4 did, no? So over 1.14m.

So about that MS PR about best Xbox launch ever without numbers......they did less than Xbox One in their main market and pretty much the same in their second market (UK).
PS5 broke records with actual receipts and it would be much higher with proper stock.
Xbox One lauched in few countries vs Series X launched in a lot of countries. Easy.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So XSX did worse than XB1 but also sold out... sounds more like a stock availability issue than an interest issue. People need to chill.
Yeah, but Phil kinda did pre eemptive damage control for this situation: they were waiting for AMD tech.

Goes to show Sony was quiet, but they were busy getting all their stuff together with games and hardware launch.

For whatever reason, there are still stock updates for PS5, barely any for Series consoles. Anecdotal, but I just went to a Wal-mart the other day and they guy said they had Series X's available for after Black Friday, and they had to keep announcing it over the intercom to let shoppers know, 'hey, we got Series X consoles back here...'

Total opposite for the PS5, according to him. They also just got some Switch in stock. If I wasnt spending so much on gifts that day, I might have grabbed me a Switch, I coulda got one before they updated the inventory.

ethomaz

Banned
They decided to produce less cause they shipped in more countries and theres a global pandemic that halted production for Xbox and PS5.. Do you guys use your brains or just type to type?
I’m sure there is no halted production for PS5.
Sony planed and will ship way more units than PS4 at first year.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They didn't manufacture more Xbox One's, the release was just limited to 13 countries and the US had more stock. Xbox Series got released in 37 countries, for comparison.
Ohhh, right. I forgot. We got them year after launch.

ethomaz

Banned
If that 1.14m numbers is still correct. Numbers got adjusted down as we know from the Switch launch.
That's why I said 1.1m

Maybe someone will leak numbers
Well that could had happened.... that 1.14m is what it was leaked at launch... any future correction never leaked.

Same for PS5... more countries... more stock for every country.
It is seems like a non issue for Sony.

Can you do that easy math please?

It is like the tools? Only affect the Xbox?

In how many countries did the PS5 launch? I know for PS4 it was 32.

mejin

Sony is being humble about the sucess. That's kinda amazing.

On the other side, you know things are not good when MS can't even arrange spins for the situation, just plain silence.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Deserved.
Microsoft has been running interesting experiment - can you sell console as 3rd party and BC machine without actual games made for it. I guess we start to see results now.
They're experimenting with Gamepass and it's already working.

Of course, next year with Pokemon 25th and Zelda 35th anniversary. New Pokemon remake, Monster Hunter Rise, BOTW2, next Mario Kart are all hardware moving juggernauts.

Also Switch Pro.

ethomaz

Banned
In how many countries did the PS5 launch? I know for PS4 it was 32.
PS4 launched in 32 countries in a November.
Way more with the early December launches... that accounted for about 48 countries total I believe.

Very few left to 2014 like Japan being the biggest one.

I did not have the correct info but I believe PS5 launched in 52 or 56 countries in November.

Edit - Yeap PS4 launched in total to 48 countries:https://www.digitalspy.com/videogames/ps4/a538033/ps4-now-available-in-48-different-countries/

Last edited:
Top Bottom