• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

RexNovis

Banned
It is the best Halo mp has been since 2. That is a cold hard fact. Like ketchup is good on everything and cats are better than dogs.

Not for those of us living outside of US and EU where the aforementioned hour long waiting times for matchmaking occur.

Edit: unless going by your examples you were being facetious... In which case I've been played

Elios83

It's not a question of possibility. It's a question of how. Exclusives won't matter this year..Sony is by all definitions packed everywhere with something. They got multiplats on board + VR.

So it's going to be an Xbox One slim ( I don't think MS can pass this year without announcing one or they'll get rekt) and a price drop promotion.

I think that we can expect price cuts to 299$ and hardware revisions with a slim factor from both. The former is basically a given considering the 299$ promotions they have done in November and December. The latter relies on their ability to shrink their APUs using a more advanced manufacturing process. Three years after launch it's definetly time.

Diff was 862k in september according to creamsugar, so in november was at 1077k.

This month diff is 208k People can work with that.

How big was the difference pre-holidays 2014? What's the highest the difference between PS4 and XB1 lifetime has ever been in the US?

blakep267

It's not a question of possibility. It's a question of how. Exclusives won't matter this year..Sony is by all definitions packed everywhere with something. They got multiplats on board + VR.

So it's going to be an Xbox One slim ( I don't think MS can pass this year without announcing one or they'll get rekt) and a price drop promotion. Sony while trying to push VR will also drop in price to encourage both PS4 adoption and VR adoption... so the way I see it. an XB1 Slim + some luck out of a genie bottle.

there are months here and there that are up for grabs. They could release a division bundle in march and win.

jackdoe

Not bad. XB1 Version was flat, 360 Version increased a lot.

Expected, old gen usually has better legs.
Both versions didn't drop from month to month thanks to the title being discounted for half of December. The 360 discount was a whopping 50% compared to the 30% discount of the XB1 version, so it makes sense that there was an increase for that version.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
I expected more from Lara number. With the reduced price and the word of mouth being so good I thought >250k was doable.

And I don't know why I expected the 1 million number to be doable only with the XB1 sales.

GnawtyDog

Banned
All they need is a good trade in promotion in a slow Spring / Summer month to pull it off. They've done that exact thing and won the month before.

I think people are forgetting how small the gap is in many of the slower months of the year

The thing with 2016 is that, it's not 2015. PS4 has content all spread out. Destiny coming in September. You have a flagship game (U4) releasing in the spring and some of that will carry to summer. That's Spring and summer on lock. Sony will also release a title worth looking out for in the summer...I mean they have to release some of those games some place and they'll avoid the holidays like the plague if they're smart.

I literally can't see it given the way MS does price promotions (around the holidays), even with a slim. Say they come out of E3 with a slim available for sale + price drop. They would still be going against a Destiny 2 PS4 bundle + a smaller niche exclusive. Good luck.

Not to mention PSVR sales + hype - if it releases this year.

icespide

Banned
so is it safe to say that we should never take the software platform ranking seriously because of bundles? seems like every month there are posters surprised that somethings sold better on X when in fact it probably didn't

Toki767

so is it safe to say that we should never take the software platform ranking seriously because of bundles? seems like every month there are posters surprised that somethings sold better on X when in fact it probably didn't

If you use common sense, it's never usually a problem.

donny2112

Feels like that falls in line with most people's estimates here.

128 predictors

# with PS4 between 1.5m and 1.7m: 66
# with XB1 between 1.3m and 1.5m: 80
# with both of those ranges: 50

So ~40% had around both those values. Nice!

Edit:
Add in Wii U ...

# with WIU between 400K and 600K: 52
# with all three of those ranges: 24

So ~20% had all three of those ranges. Wii U and 3DS will probably be the deciders this month.

jayu26

Just ignore those posts. They stop after couple of hours. People who are interested in sales know what's up.

There also DD but yeah NPD rankings don't mean that much now without numbers.
Still if you are in NPD threads you should know better .

fernoca

Also how do you produce only 4K copies of a title? Limited print runs are higher than that. With it selling out in days you would think they would know demand would easily accommodate 10k?
Around 5k it seems, which was around the same for Europe. And they wouldn't know, because noone preordered. The few copies even sold out when word spread online that it was a small print, not because of the demand before release.

Preorders are used to gauge demand and stores in general barely ordered copies because of that.

MS still won 2 months in 2015. They'll win another one again sometime in 2016. Sony is winning in NA but its hardly a blowout

I fail to see how winning a month here and there is even relevant any more.

Even the OG xbox won the odd month against the PS2 in the US.

Fact is, the dies have been cast and path is clear. There is no coming back, no upsets on the way. The generation is pretty much going one way in terms of overall winner.

What Microsoft is best off doing is what they are starting to do, which is to pivot away from raw units sold as indicators of success. Having such a good attach rate is nothing to sniff at and should be encouraged far more now.

But the best selling console fight? Thats done now.

The thing with 2016 is that, it's not 2015. PS4 has content all spread out. Destiny coming in September. You have a flagship game (U4) releasing in the spring and some of that will carry to summer. That's Spring and summer on lock. Sony will also release a title worth looking out for in the summer...I mean they have to release some of those games some place and they'll avoid the holidays like the plague if they're smart.

I literally can't see it given the way MS does price promotions (around the holidays), even with a slim. Say they come out of E3 with a slim available for sale + price drop. They would still be going against a Destiny 2 PS4 bundle + a smaller niche exclusive. Good luck.

Not to mention PSVR sales + hype - if it releases this year.

Spring and Summer aren't even remotely on lock on a month by month basis.

StoopKid

So I guess "this generation" also means they're only counting current gen games? i.e.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Activision Blizzard | Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
Star Wars: Battlefront (Electronic Arts | Xbox One, PS4, PC)
Fallout 4 (Bethesda Softworks | PS4, Xbox One, PC)
Madden NFL 16 (Electronic Arts | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
NBA 2K16 (Take-Two | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft | Xbox One, PS4, PC)
Minecraft (Microsoft | 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
Minecraft: Story Mode: A Telltale Game Series (Microsoft/TellTale | 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
FIFA 16 (Electronic Arts | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)

edit: I see I'm late with this ha!
Pr is amazing!
1408.gif

I fail to see how winning a month here and there is even relevant any more.

Even the OG xbox won the odd month against the PS2 in the US.

Fact is, the dies have been cast and path is clear. There is no coming back, no upsets on the way. The generation is pretty much going one way in terms of overall winner.

What Microsoft is best off doing is what they are starting to do, which is to pivot away from raw units sold as indicators of success. Having such a good attach rate is nothing to sniff at and should be encouraged far more now.

But the best selling console fight? Thats done now.

I mean is there a single person in SalesGAF arguing something different? PS4 is clearly the winner this gen. The debate was about if MS could pick up a month or 2 in 2016 which they certainly can

Top Bottom