• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

allan-bh

After reduce the gap for 500k at the end of 2014 is disappointing for Microsoft one year later see the diff at 1.3m.

But Xbox One sales increased in 2015, so there's nothing much more they could have done, it's Sony's merit.

Windforce

The first console listed for the game indicates which system the game sold the most on right? If that is true, surprise battlefront sold more on Xbox one.

Yes, it's in order of most copies sold per platform, but only standalone copies - bundles do not count.

When a game is bundled (like Battlefront was for PS4), it is not too clear. PS4 might have sold more copies when unbundled + bundled copies are added together.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
PS4 is winning by a too thin of a margin, though.

Next gen MS will take back US for sure, Sony did not capitalize enough on MS mistakes this gen, and next gen MS will not have the crappiest console reveal ever (aka XB1).

You sure know a lot about the future. Did you win the powerball?

Next gen MS will take back US for sure, Sony did not capitalize enough on MS mistakes this gen, and next gen MS will not have the crappiest console reveal ever (aka XB1).

They're batting a 1 for 3 average in the US. That's... not the best.

Honestly, I think Sony has the whole damn industry on lock unless they fuck up big time or some disruptive player (like Apple or something) joins the fray.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
People keep repeating that EU is TR strongest market, but outside of UK, Germany and France (1st week) we don't have even an estimate of the game sales.

Worst, we don't even have any other game data of the other markets to try and extrapolate the numbers.

The fact is that outside of UK, France and Germany, the XB1 is on life support.

Even if that is the case, I don't expect to see another PS3/X360 sort of difference so long as Sony doesn't screw it up at launch. I think going from a 10M(?) or so LTD gap between X360/PS3 to a 1.3M gap between PS4 and X1 just after two years on the market is a significant shift.

allan-bh

But the XB1 is less popular in Europe than in the USA and that is the only console that it can currently be played on. This is the core of the idiocy of the timed exclusivity deal considering the Tomb Raider franchise was more popular on PlayStation consoles.

Not saying that Tomb Raider sold more on Europe, but the attach rate must be better.
Plus we don't know how much bundles was sold in US, so 410k + bundles + rest of the world makes sense for the 1 million figure.

GnawtyDog

Banned
People keep repeating that EU is TR strongest market, but outside of UK, Germany and France (1st week) we don't have even an estimate of the game sales.

Worst, we don't even have any other game data of the other markets to try and extrapolate the numbers.

The fact is that outside of UK, France and Germany, the XB1 is on life support.

And in those markets (UK, France, Germany), it didn't do too hot.

Welfare

Not saying that Tomb Raider sold more on Europe, but the attach rate must be better.
Plus we don't know how much bundles was sold in US, so 410k + bundles + rest of the world makes sense for the 1 million figure.

Wouldn't the bundles be counted in the Xbox One hardware or are those not actually counted at all?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So that about 400k plus for NA not counting DD.
Leaving the rest of the world to pick up 600k along with DD which is doable .
For the 1 million plus sold number.

How does that work exactly? It would make sense on Playstation where the US doesn't account for more than half of all console sold. But you're putting a lot of faith on the rest of the world when there are more Xbox One console in the US than outside of it.

viky101

Neo Member

It is crazy how thin the margin is imo and xbox seems to have huge number of deluded fanboys on the internet as well. In Sony's defense though, they were more expensive and the big Sony first-party guns haven't fired yet.

Still it's gonna be pretty hard to overtake the next PS imo unless Sony makes a big mistake. The ratio is probably gonna be 49-51 or something.

Ah random thought here but that must be TellTale's best launch ever for one of their games. Guessing they are pretty excited, though I've heard its maybe their worst game

allan-bh

I think they capitalized in a big way. The problem is that even making mistakes Microsoft managed to make Xbox One a strong console in US. Xbox brand is to big after the huge 360 sales in the country.

Mrbob

Ah random thought here but that must be TellTale's best launch ever for one of their games. Guessing they are pretty excited, though I've heard its maybe their worst game
How much do they make off of Minecraft story mode. Curious if they have to split a bunch of profit with Microsoft.

No idea who wins in NA next gen but considering how colossal a fuck up the Xbone launch was it is impressive they have still done so well in NA this generation. They are certainly still in the hunt next time around

But the XB1 is less popular in Europe than in the USA and that is the only console that it can currently be played on. This is the core of the idiocy of the timed exclusivity deal considering the Tomb Raider franchise was more popular on PlayStation consoles.

In fairness it's on the 360, as well, which I'm guessing is making enough of a difference WW where the install base isn't as dire as the X1.

btrboyev

Not according to history, what makes you think this?

Actually history is on my side. Historically a generation is 5 years. Last gen was not normal. These systems are already struggling with developers. Yes both of them. 2018 will see PC's far more powerful and doing 4K with ease as these systems still struggle at 1080p or less.

And I don't buy the Microsoft wants it to end quickly. That's just bias bullshit. They are doing very well considering. Sony's success worldwide isn't making Microsoft want this gen to end. That's ridiculous.

N.Domixis

Banned
Congrats to sony on extending the lead, they earned it. Little by little it continues to grow. It could have been way bigger if they competed last holiday, but now that sony learned how to compete during the holidays for the first time in a long time, I expect what happened in 2014 NPDs will never be allowed to happen again.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

I can see 110/120k bundles at most. Isn't best buy like 12% of the market?

If that number is correct they sold like 330k consoles. The BB insider said that the bundle sold abysmal numbers in November and I don't know if December was better.

But let's be optimistic and say that it sold a lot, and at the end of both months it reached 30% of all consoles sold on BB. This gives us the 100k number. Let's add 20k bundles from Ms store to round the number.

Welfare

Actually history is on my side. Historically a generation is 5 years. Last gen was not normal.

And I don't buy the Microsoft wants it to end quickly. That's just bias bullshit. They are doing very well considering. Sony's success worldwide isn't making Microsoft want this gen to end. That's ridiculous.

AAA dev time is about 2.5-3 years. 5 years is not enough time to let devs get accustomed to the new hardware and make multiple games for it. 2019 will be the earliest we see a next gen console, I'm betting.

allan-bh

Wouldn't the bundles be counted in the Xbox One hardware or are those not actually counted at all?

I don't know how NPD proceeds in this case, possibly it's included, but if the others hardware SKUs are specified (and that's the standard) people can figure out how much the bundle sold, unless they hide on another SKU figure adding them.

Nah i see next gen being more of a clean slate in the USA.
Still things like BC might help early on in Sony favor .

How does that work exactly? It would make sense on Playstation where the US doesn't account for more than half of all console sold. But you're putting a lot of faith on the rest of the world when there are more Xbox One console in the US than outside of it.

Well there also things like bundles to counts and while X1 don't sell good in EU .
Every little bit adds up .

For MS, they want to get out this gen as soon as possible. They probably want to launch next console one year earlier like last gen

One day people are going to realise that these decisions are not made in advance and are mostly down to competitors misfortune. Microsoft didnt launch early, the PS3 was delayed and came late.

No different from GDDR5 over DDR3

Sony was just lucky that the price of GDDR5 came down enough to put in 8 Gb. They had no idea that Microsoft were going for slower ram.

Thinking Microsoft is going to rush out another console just to "beat Sony" next gen is just foolish at this point.

jayu26

AAA dev time is about 2.5-3 years. 5 years is not enough time to let devs get accustomed to the new hardware and make multiple games for it. 2019 will be the earliest we see a next gen console, I'm betting.

I agree. Anything earlier and you will just piss off third parties.

If the console gen ends early (or on 2018), I expect A LOT of cross-gen titles and they'll last for much longer then this gen too.

That's why I don't know how much of a benefit a head start for MS will even help.

Dural

Yes, it's in order of most copies sold per platform, but only standalone copies - bundles do not count.

When a game is bundled (like Battlefront was for PS4), it is not too clear. PS4 might have sold more copies when unbundled + bundled copies are added together.

But current owners of both consoles bought more on one platform than another, to say one console sold more due to bundles is being a bit disingenuous. Unless people believe current console owners are buying a second console specifically to get that game from that bundle. The game is being given away free with the console whether you want it or not.

Raylan

Banned

This is funny as hell. And so not happening imho

btrboyev

I agree. Anything earlier and you will just piss off third parties.

No it won't. Developers are being held back by these machines now. A new generation is always a win win for publishers and developers. It keeps the market moving forward. You wait too long and things may change for the worse.

One day people are going to realise that these decisions are not made in advance and are mostly down to competitors misfortune. Microsoft didnt launch early, the PS3 was delayed and came late.

No different from GDDR5 over DDR3

Sony was just lucky that the price of GDDR5 came down enough to put in 8 Gb. They had no idea that Microsoft were going for slower ram.

Thinking Microsoft is going to rush out another console just to "beat Sony" next gen is just foolish at this point.

X360 has lots of exclusives first years thanks to it being only next-gen console, people only had an option if they wanted something to play. You just can't deny that launching earlier has some advantages for you

Mortal Kombat sells better than Batman in the US, and worse than Batman in Europe.

They were both at 5 million shipped the last time we got numbers. Hard to say which sold more overall since we don't get fine grain details.

I would propose that Nintendo's software is massively down versus the Wii/DS and that headliners for the other vendors like Halo and Gran Turismo are doing worse than they used to.

Whoa, MK and Batman are big time! Very impressive sales from both of those titles. I wonder if SFV on just PS4/PC can match MK PS4/PC/X1.

Let's see GT on current gen hardware first before we say it's declined like Halo. I think it has potential to be huge seller again with VR and by nature of the first GT releasing on a current gen PS console.

Top Bottom