• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

allan-bh

Maybe NPD not revealed Tomb Raider bundle sales because is Best Buy exclusive (And MS Store but I don't now if NPD has data from them). cream or Cosmic can clarify if is on report or not.

ps: I'm saying this because I remember Xenoblade Wii was not on NPD because of being Gamestop exclusive, NPD can't reveal specific sales of a retailer.

hawk2025

Add in bundles, 360, digital and Europe, and I buy the 1 million number sold to customers.

I can see PC adding another cool million by the end of February.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Hey cream, just a list of games which should be cool to Know.

1) Zelda Majora's Mask
2) The Order 1886
3) BloodBorne
4) The Witcher 3
5) Splatoon
6) Batman
7) MGS V
8) Forza 6
9) Uncharted NDC
10) Halo 5

Thanks.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Spring and Summer aren't even remotely on lock on a month by month basis.

They have naturally favored the industry leader, in this case PS4. There is exclusive content in those periods that incentivizes to buy the market leader much more so than the competition (and by and large the PS4 is poised to have its best Spring yet). Outside of some crazy desperate promotion by MS due to a massive sales dive the tides are not bound to change. The tides are bound to be the same or bigger. That's what I am getting at: the likelihood of a sudden desperate promotion in x periods, and the how, not the possibility. There is always a possibility.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
The expectation was that TR would be relatively bigger in EU than U.S., so even with the smaller userbase, EU still would've added significantly to the overall total. Bundles probably saved the day, though.

Wasn't the bundle super restricted in Europe? I'm not saying that Greenberg lied, but I'm finding difficult to see the game selling much more than 1 million (per Greenberg tweet) with the data we have available.

donny2112

NPD can't reveal specific sales of a retailer.

They're not allowed to publish individual retailer sales, so correct, bundles from one retailer probably wouldn't be reported as such. Usually this comes up with software (e.g. Xenoblade Wii), but would expect this to be the same with bundles...

They have naturally favored the industry leader, in this case PS4. There is exclusive content in those periods that incentivizes to buy the market leader much more so than the competition. Outside of some crazy desperate promotion due to sales cliff the tides are not bound to change. The tides are bound to be the same or bigger.

We had months in 2015 where consoles won by like 13k units.

All it takes is a slow month where Xbox has some kind of sick deal and they can win it. If Xbone had a Division bundle in March for example they may win that or they may win Gears 4 month.

blakep267

even if you go on the low end and say the bundle sold 50k in November and 50k in December, that would put the TR number at 500k in the US without including digital( it did sell really well that 1 week in december). 1 mill isn't a stretch if you add non US and digital numbers

All it takes is a slow month where Xbox has some kind of sick deal and they can win it. If Xbone had a Division bundle in March for example they may win that or they may win Gears 4 month.
I agree with that. Like June and July numbers aren't great at all. A well riced bundle with a game would be enough to win on either side

allan-bh

They're not allowed to publish individual retailer sales, so correct, bundles from one retailer probably wouldn't be reported as such. Usually this comes up with software (e.g. Xenoblade Wii), but would expect this to be the same with bundles...

So probably LTD is bigger than 410k. That's why more than 1 million is sounding too much.

I mean is there a single person in SalesGAF arguing something different? PS4 is clearly the winner this gen. The debate was about if MS could pick up a month or 2 in 2016 which they certainly can

Well yeah off course, but any xbox victory is unlikely to be anything higher than a drop in the ocean, outside of a kamikaze run next hoilday.

A 10k here and a 50k there arent ultimately going to mean shit. Is it even worth the investment of the trade in programs, price cuts and other promotions for that kind of responce?

Well yeah off course, but any xbox victory is unlikely to be anything higher than a drop in the ocean, outside of a kamikaze run next hoilday.

A 10k here and a 50k there arent ultimately going to mean shit. Is it even worth the investment of the trade in programs, price cuts and other promotions for that kind of responce?

I mean probably not. I dont think we are arguing anything grand scale here though, or at least I'm most certainly not. Just saying there may be a random month or 2 here and there they pick up. Thats really all

Spring and Summer aren't even remotely on lock on a month by month basis.

What month would you give the X1 in that time frame? Quantum Break is as of now their only exclusive retail game (if it doesn't get delayed again) and that releases the same month as UC4 and R&C.

Though I suppose I could see a garbage time month with not much released and a X1 promoted heavily at retailers could spur a somewhat hollow PR victory for A month. At this point it is really no longer interesting who sells more, but what each are doing to serve their existing audience and grow that audience. Can Sony finally have a banner First Party year we know they are capable of having, and what does MS do now that they are not leading the pack and after Rise of the Tomb Raider may be done with big third party exclusives?

What month would you give the X1 in that time frame? Quantum Break is as of now their only exclusive retail game (if it doesn't get delayed again) and that releases the same month as UC4 and R&C.

Though I suppose I could see a garbage time month with not much released and a X1 promoted heavily at retailers could spur a somewhat hollow PR victory for A month. At this point it is really no longer interesting who sells more, but what each are doing to serve their existing audience and grow that audience. Can Sony finally have a banner First Party year we know they are capable of having, and what does MS do now that they are not leading the pack and after Rise of the Tomb Raider may be done with big third party exclusives?

I think March is a possibility if they bundle the Division and have a trade in incentive

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I wasn't far off then. Thanks Queso and Ryng for the early numbers/hints/estimates, haha.

Those aren't the excat numbers haha, but they are Close.

BTW, all are more than that ( since XB1 1.38m is the minimum ), so, maybe we should Write more Like:

PS4 > 1,587,000
XB1 > 1,380,000
WIU > 464,000

GnawtyDog

Banned

March is definitely a candidate. Drop off from Street Fighter V pre-orders in Feb, build up of pre-orders in March for Uncharted 4 in April.

If MS doesn't bundle the Division like they did with the Witcher 3... there goes that even with the drop off.

I don't think they have a chance in the holidays with Gears. Gears ain't no Halo. Destiny will be fresh, ready to go either September or October and will carry through to any month. You add to that Horizon Zero Dawn trying to match... the upcoming holiday is a much bigger longshot than March even...

July is a candidate I guess if they do a price drop before E3, announce a slim right after E3 available for sale. To go along with Sea of Thieves or something like that in a bundle.

Bluenoser

Lara:
~200k in the US Nov
~210k in the US Dec

Add 25% digital to be safe. (136k)

Total US (not including bundles) 546k.

Rest of the world = 454k? Doesn't seem likely, and even if it does squeek into the million seller club, it most certainly isn't "Way over 1M" as Greenburg tweeted.

Vena

So I guess my estimates that Xeno would potentially outsell Type-0HD in the NPD were... somehow not far off.

Who'd have guessed, I need to dig up that MC thread post on that haha.

Those aren't the excat numbers haha, but they are Close.

BTW, all are more than that ( since XB1 1.38m is the minimum ), so, maybe we should Write more Like:

PS4 > 1,587,000
XB1 > 1,380,000
WIU > 464,000

No I get that they are off the mark, but it can't be off by hundreds of thousands or anything of the sort, lol. Which puts it very close in line with what we pieced together from Queso earlier.

I thought it was more than that.

LTD
sWC7SBW.png

Nah the Marketshare difference isnt very big in NA

I mean probably not. I dont think we are arguing anything grand scale here though, or at least I'm most certainly not. Just saying there may be a random month or 2 here and there they pick up. Thats really all

Fair enough. What im getting at is that Microsoft from my vantage point is better served trying to make more money from the people already sold on the brand than throwing good money after bad aggressively trying to bring new people into the fold who may not be playing much but bundled muktiplats.

Price promotions on the elite controller, chat pad, digital reciver and remote make alot of sense as well as much more improved sales on digital titles and frequent live sub promotions.

But yeah, whatever happens Microsoft will win the odd month or two.

Fair enough. What im getting at is that Microsoft from my vantage point is better served trying to make more money from the people already sold on the brand than throwing good money after bad aggressively trying to bring new people into the fold who may not be playing much but bundled muktiplats.

But yeah, whatever happens Microsoft will win the odd month or two.

Cant say I disagree with that much at all though I do see why they do some aggressive deals sometimes. They dont want to lose more marketshare than needed if they can spare it

allan-bh

Lara:
~200k in the US Nov
~210k in the US Dec

Add 25% digital to be safe. (136k)

Total US (not including bundles) 546k.

Rest of the world = 454k? Doesn't seem likely, and even if it does squeek into the million seller club, it most certainly isn't "Way over 1M" as Greenburg tweeted.

I think it is. Tomb Raider is more popular in Europe than on USA.

gtj1092

Someone convince me FF type-0 HD cost more to make than xcx because the sales success narrative between these two games are vastly different.

kswiston

So that about 400k plus for NA not counting DD.
Leaving the rest of the world to pick up 600k along with DD which is doable .
For the 1 million plus sold number.

600k for the rest of the world seems awfully optimistic give the percentage of the userbase that is in the US.

I still think those were just shipped numbers.

oSoLucky

Someone convince me FF type-0 HD cost more to make than xcx because the sales success narrative between these two games are vastly different.

I think there was a lot of focus on the name Final Fantasy and not whether it made money or not. Also, some believe that the FF15 demo inclusion contributed significantly to that number.

Windforce

So glad to see the best console finally being the best seller in the US. Beastin.

PS4 is winning by a too thin of a margin, though.

Next gen MS will take back US for sure, Sony did not capitalize enough on MS mistakes this gen, and next gen MS will not have the crappiest console reveal ever (aka XB1).

I think it is. Tomb Raider is more popular in Europe than on USA.

But the XB1 is less popular in Europe than in the USA and that is the only console that it can currently be played on. This is the core of the idiocy of the timed exclusivity deal considering the Tomb Raider franchise was more popular on PlayStation consoles.

The first console listed for the game indicates which system the game sold the most on right? If that is true, surprise battlefront sold more on Xbox one.

Top Bottom