• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

CoD this year being 100% current gen exclusive will move some consoles in November. Believe it or not the last gen versions of BO3 still moved a decent amount of software

hawk2025

I love how they could have just said "the only place to play Halo 5" and been just as well off by pushing the game a litte bit.

I feel like the ranking spins clouds the actual marketing goals sometimes.

Fat4all

Banned
presentation191x1u.jpg

Hmm, there's one gap that's closing I suppose...

CoD this year being 100% current gen exclusive will move some consoles in November. Believe it or not the last gen versions of BO3 still moved a decent amount of software

Indeed. I never doubted the old gen BO3 would do to terrible, really. Multiplayer and Zombies were all some people needed.

I feel like there's a lot of sarcasm being thrown around in regard to Microsoft's PR. I'm just gonna say, it's actually brilliant. They are doing their job to utter perfection. Imagine how hard you'd have to look to work out a statement that makes their victory sound as simple and total as that, that also happens to be completely true, despite the fact they are actually losing pretty badly in their core market.

I'm unbelievably impressed.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Yeah, that's what I think.

If VR flops, if Sony sleeps on price promotions and marketing, if Xbox releases a slim next year along with a price drop + nice bundle and Sony sleeps like in 14.

Otherwise, I don't see it anymore. Maybe an April/June slip off after a hot PS4 month ala Bloodborne last year - this year being Uncharted's month...

Maybe...

ChaosXVI

I am very, very pleased by those Xenoblade numbers. I was really worried it would struggle to hit half of that.

Nintendo is definitely going to have Monolith make a 3rd game under the Xenoblade branding.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This is taking all my many years of corporate BS to the extreme. Let's parse!

- Top 10 best-selling titles of the generation - Okay, so PS4, Xone, and for kicks Wii U.
- Launched in 2015 - That means we can remove sales of GTA, for example, for all platforms that didn't launch in 2015.

Alright.

So...

Hot damn. The math checks out. Jesus Keeeerist MS.

In the list posted (now edited out), why was MKX excluded?

Is my prediction that Xenoblade has outsold both Amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis correct I wonder?

Also how do you produce only 4K copies of a title? Limited print runs are higher than that. With it selling out in days you would think they would know demand would easily accommodate 10k?

Oh well I have a copy and it's janky stupid fun.

lol yes, even Bayonetta 2's first month beat both of their first months combined

In the list posted (now edited out), why was MKX excluded?

I'm assuming Microsoft meant for the whole year, while CosmicQueso inadvertently spilled the ranking for December specifically

edit: oh wait it's possibly excluding last gen stuff? oh my this is next level

If VR flops, if Sony sleeps on price promotions and marketing, if Xbox releases a slim next year along with a price drop + nice bundle and Sony sleeps like in 14.

Otherwise, I don't see it anymore. Maybe an April/June slip off after a hot PS4 month ala Bloodborne last year - this year being Uncharted's month...

Maybe...

MS still won 2 months in 2015. They'll win another one again sometime in 2016. Sony is winning in NA but its hardly a blowout

"Xbox One is the best place for gamers and the only console that has all top 10 best-selling titles of this generation that launched in 2015."

So I guess "this generation" also means they're only counting current gen games? i.e.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Activision Blizzard | Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
Star Wars: Battlefront (Electronic Arts | Xbox One, PS4, PC)
Fallout 4 (Bethesda Softworks | PS4, Xbox One, PC)
Madden NFL 16 (Electronic Arts | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
NBA 2K16 (Take-Two | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft | Xbox One, PS4, PC)
Minecraft (Microsoft | 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
Minecraft: Story Mode: A Telltale Game Series (Microsoft/TellTale | 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
FIFA 16 (Electronic Arts | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)

edit: I see I'm late with this ha!

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
So I guess "this generation" also means they're only counting current gen games? i.e.

Minecraft: Story Mode: A Telltale Game Series (Microsoft/TellTale | 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)

Hahaha, this would be fantastic.

Carl

Surely not. Incredible spin if so

Their PR would be BeyMasters for sure bruh!

Toki767

If you had told me Xenoblade Chronicles X would sell as much as Rise of the Tomb Raider in its opening month, I would've thought you'd be crazy.

But damn lol

GnawtyDog

Banned
What a difference a year makes.

The gap after December last year was what? 800k or 700k?

Seems like Sony made up last year holiday damage with a bit on top. I say not bad for Xbox with price parity in place. But again, that's short sighted, Spring will not be kind.

Please be the case.

Deity level spin.

FelipeMGM

Oh god, it gets even more twisted

GnawtyDog

Banned
MS still won 2 months in 2015. They'll win another one again sometime in 2016. Sony is winning in NA but its hardly a blowout

It's not a question of possibility. It's a question of how. Exclusives won't matter this year..Sony is by all definitions packed everywhere with something. They got multiplats on board + VR.

So it's going to be an Xbox One slim ( I don't think MS can pass this year without announcing one or they'll get rekt) and a price drop promotion. Sony while trying to push VR will also drop the PS4's price to encourage both PS4 adoption and VR adoption... so the way I see it. an XB1 Slim + some luck out of a genie bottle.

3rdbass

Banned
Wow what a difference a year makes. Price parity during black Friday showed that PS4 sells more than the XBOX1. I think with PS4's upcoming Q1 and Q2 of 2016 lineups that lead is going to up past 1.5M by June if not more.

It's not a question of possibility. It's a question of how. Exclusives won't matter this year..Sony is by all definitions packed everywhere with something. They got multiplats on board + VR.

So it's going to be an Xbox One slim ( I don't think MS can pass this year without announcing one or they'll get rekt) and a price drop promotion.

All they need is a good trade in promotion in a slow Spring / Summer month to pull it off. They've done that exact thing and won the month before.

I think people are forgetting how small the gap is in many of the slower months of the year

Top Bottom