• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

Not a bad result at all for Xenoblade Chronicles X, it is on the high end of my expectations given the circumstances of the platform it has been released on.

The list of jrpg's released in the last 10 years with a 200,000 opening or higher should be very limited unless the titles are called Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts or Pokémon.

Yeah. On home consoles can't think anything else than Lost Odyssey (203k February 2008). Sure there are probably few others but not many like you said.

kswiston

Not a bad result at all for Xenoblade Chronicles X, it is on the high end of my expectations given the circumstances of the platform it has been released on.

The list of jrpg's released in the last 10 year with a 200,000 opening or higher should be very limited unless the titles are called Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts or Pokémon.

200k is great for XCX on the Wii U. Nintendo has had a pretty good track record with JRPGs in recent years though. They launched Fire Emblem Awakening and Bravely Default to higher than typical numbers as well. I'm expecting Fire Emblem Fates to hit at least 200k in Feb.

Ricky_R

Will the Xbone have a shot at winning another holiday season this gen? 2015 seemed like strong year for them to do so, but couldn't. This year looks like a long shot for MS considering Sony's line-up.

Wonder if they lost their chance to retake the US for the remainder of this generation.

hawk2025

Someone give me the exact quote again. I'm worried if I look at it directly I might become dumber.

My interpretation:

The only place to play the top 10 best selling games released in 2015.

Technically, we can remove GTA, Minecraft and call of Duty.

If removing those, two third party games creep in and halo 5 comes in at 10, their quote is right.

...right?

Will the Xbone have a shot at winning another holiday season this gen? 2015 seemed like strong year for them to do so, but couldn't. This year looks like a long shot for MS considering Sony's line-up.

Wonder if they lost their chance to retake the US for the remainder of this generation.

Whole season is likely out the window but they can still win individual months. They may win Gears 4 month for example

This is kinda big news, and encouraging for future development.

We acutally had publisher growth in the Physical space in 2015!

41 publishers put a game into the market in 2015! First time we've had growth there since 2009. That makes me happy.

Do you have a list? Who are the new publishers?

My interpretation:

The only place to play the top 10 best selling games released in 2015.

Technically, we can remove GTA, Minecraft and call of Duty.

If removing those, two third party games creep in and halo 5 comes in at 10, their quote is right.

...right?

Again, you could remove those three and more titles, released outside of 2015, could also creep in. That's the brilliance of it.

Fat4all

Banned
Ah yeah forgot Battlefield 5. Titanfall 2 is sometime 2016 as well I believe

Fallout 4 pumped a decent share of hype into this November as well thanks to it's announcement being fairly close to its release.

Maybe Mass Effect could match that hype with a good E3 showing?

Elios83

What's that make the NPD gap officially?

Around 1.3m, more than double the gap in January 2015.
Sony had a perfect execution during the holiday season with marketing, pricing strategy, bundles. They basically made their lack of first party games in Q4 a meaningless factor.
Microsoft tried to be more conservative with their deals (although in the end they outdid Sony's promotions anyway so we can't exactly say that they went for profits) probably hoping that their exclusives like Halo 5 would bring in more customers, but relatively to the PS4 they have certainly lost.

evilr

Banned
5WPaUbI.jpg

RexNovis

Banned
Ive discussed the Halo 5 sales and the potential causes many times over on here, on twitter and other places, had I of known I was going to get called "disingenuous" for not writing a much more detailed explanation and consider other factors perhaps I would have buffed it out a bit for you.

I wrote a fairly short response to someone where I just said I thought that actually there were larger mistakes made than Halo 5, personally its a game I enjoyed a lot (I appreciate you don't share that opinion however) and I think there was significant damage done to the franchise which is largely (but also didn't say exclusively...) due to the previous two Halo products that launched at retail for $60: Halo 4 and Halo MCC.

Ok fair enough. It's just something I'm seeing pop up a lot recently and it drives me crazy. Like the fanbase wants to paint a picture that the game is this flawless masterpiece that is only selling less because of the issues with ya predecessors. It's just not true. So when I saw you were staying it again I jumped on it. Obviously the aforementioned damage plays a role and I would never argue otherwise I just think it's own issues are also a very large part of the problem. I feel like if 343 had truly delivered a masterpiece we would have seen a big resurgence for Halo but that obviously didn't happen.

"Xbox One is the best place for gamers and the only console that has all top 10 best-selling titles of this generation that launched in 2015."

This is taking all my many years of corporate BS to the extreme. Let's parse!

- Top 10 best-selling titles of the generation - Okay, so PS4, Xone, and for kicks Wii U.
- Launched in 2015 - That means we can remove sales of GTA, for example, for all platforms that didn't launch in 2015.

Alright.

So...

Hot damn. The math checks out. Jesus Keeeerist MS.

This is taking all my many years of corporate BS to the extreme. Let's parse!

- Top 10 best-selling titles of the generation - Okay, so PS4, Xone, and for kicks Wii U.
- Launched in 2015 - That means we can remove sales of GTA, for example, for all platforms that didn't launch in 2015.

Alright.

So...

Hot damn. The math checks out. Jesus Keeeerist MS.

Edit: Nevermind.

JRPG > 200
JACT > 3

Is my prediction that Xenoblade has outsold both Amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis correct I wonder?

Also how do you produce only 4K copies of a title? Limited print runs are higher than that. With it selling out in days you would think they would know demand would easily accommodate 10k?

Oh well I have a copy and it's janky stupid fun.

JaggedSac

Ok fair enough. It's just something I'm seeing pop up a lot recently and it drives me crazy. Like the fanbase wants to paint a picture that the game is this flawless masterpiece that is only selling less because of the issues with ya predecessors. It's just not true. So when I saw you were staying it again I jumped on it. Obviously the aforementioned damage plays a role and I would never argue otherwise I just think it's own issues are also a very large part of the problem. I feel like if 343 had truly delivered a masterpiece we would have seen a big resurgence for Halo but that obviously didn't happen.

It is the best Halo mp has been since 2. That is a cold hard fact. Like ketchup is good on everything and cats are better than dogs.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
If I was given a choice between 1.38m and 1.43m with XB1 being ~1.3-1.35m, I'd choose 1.38m, too! Doesn't mean 1.38m is correct, though. Gotta look at what he was responding to, too.

According to Cosmic, XB1 is under 5m YTD, but over 4.95m. So, this mean 1.43m > XB1 > 1.38m.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
JC3 higher than H5 for the year is pretty good.

It's the monthly. Everyone assumed MS was talking about the yearly sales ranking, but it was the December NPD.

Evil genius.

Edit: was it? Cosmic removed the ranking list from his post.

Top Bottom