• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR: Bernie Sanders staying in the race 'Until The Last Vote Is Cast'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any other time, we would be chastising the silly south, unless it's political season.

In which case, it's an easy implication of racism.

Kevin-Hart-Really-GIF.gif

Come on now.

FyreWulff

This seems like an impossible bar to reach for almost anyone given the realities of being a human and especially a senator in the congress (I'm sure hillary didn't do everything she could have by a long shot) but you do you.

I think I made it pretty clear that I don't expect a white kid in Idaho that can't get enough money to leave the town, as long as he fights locally for more equality and goes online and works with national people of similar though on talking and so on, they're an ally.

Bernie had the funds, the mobility, and everything else to stay in Chicago, or move to the South, and be a Civil Rights 'general' in multiple ways. Instead, he (literally) said the rural life captivated him, and moved into one of the whitest states in the union.

Sharpton couldn't do that because no matter where he moved, he was still black. King couldn't march and then fly back to Montana the next day, because he'd still be black. Obama can't decide he's going to focus on his beet farm in Indiana, because he'll still be black. Us white folk don't get this bare simple fact that the reason the Civil Rights Leaders got shit done is because civil rights is their reality. It's not for us. With a change of a haircut and a suit, we can go from Hippy to Businessman in the white priviledged society. A black guy that gets his hair cut and in a suit is a Black Businessman. Bernie had the freedom to change his clothes and go elsewhere and did, black citizens encounter racism no matter if they are homeless or a millionaire. King paid for it with his life.

So this is why it's fairly damn easy to see why "but marched with King!" and "got arrested once!" don't hold much weight. He didn't have to live it, and chose not to live it when he could have.

Didn't she have a huge lead before sanders even announced? Not saying she didn't do that or it didn't help, but its not like this was a tortoise and a hare type scenario.

I'm talking about what she did compared to what he did.

I firmly believe her huge victory in SC which was much larger than expected btw was due to how she campaigned there. Same with her margins in NY

I think I made it pretty clear that I don't expect a white kid in Idaho that can't get enough money to leave the town, as long as he fights locally for more equality and goes online and works with national people of similar though on talking and so on, they're an ally.

Bernie had the funds, the mobility, and everything else to stay in Chicago, or move to the South, and be a Civil Rights 'general' in multiple ways. Instead, he (literally) said the rural life captivated him, and moved into one of the whitest states in the union.

Sharpton couldn't do that because no matter where he moved, he was still black. King couldn't march and then fly back to Montana the next day, because he'd still be black. Obama can't decide he's going to focus on his beet farm in Indiana, because he'll still be black. Us white folk don't get this bare simple fact that the reason the Civil Rights Leaders got shit done is because civil rights is their reality. It's not for us. With a change of a haircut and a suit, we can go from Hippy to Businessman in the white priviledged society. A black guy that gets his hair cut and in a suit is a Black Businessman. Bernie had the freedom to change his clothes and go elsewhere and did, black citizens encounter racism no matter if they are homeless or a millionaire.

So this is why it's fairly damn easy to see why "but marched with King!" and "got arrested once!" don't hold much weight. He didn't have to live it, and chose not to live it when he could have.

I agree that what he did 40 years ago doesn't really pertain other than to MAYBE set a precedent (which it didnt really do in some people's minds).

But are you saying sanders should sacrifice his happiness to be an ally to black people? What about drug addicts? What about the under/uninsured? What about XXX group?

I totally agree what you are saying, and I think anyone who does reorient their life for any type of similar cause is a true ally, but i think its really unfair to ask/expect people to give up their lives because XXX group of people needs help (or lose the ability to call themselves an ally). It is asking humans to go against how they are wired. Hillary lives in westchester which is barely one step away from vermont in terms of socioeconomic diversity last I checked.

I'm talking about what she did compared to what he did.

I firmly believe her huge victory in SC which was much larger than expected btw was due to how she campaigned there. Same with her margins in NY

Fair enough, you raise a good point but the data isn't quite there (i think, you could look at when people made up their minds and most of it seemed to be at least 2 weeks before the primary but the resolution isnt really there) for us to say either way sadly.

Oh please,

When you say that Clinton would have an advantage over most other senators in the country with African Americans due to name recognition as a reason for why African American overwhelmingly voted for Clinton that is implying that other demographics are less affected by name recognition.

I wanted you to clarify your thoughts to see whether or not you meant that implication, but apparently you are just so pathetically defensive that you are going to take your ball and go home.

Way to go on the reading comprehension as well. I said absolutely nothing about why you are voting for Bernie.

I am an African American voter who allegedly made claims about African American voters as a whole. Would I not include myself? You really in a position to condescend me, dude?

Name recognition entails more than "I know that name!" Why do you know that name? What does that name mean to you? Because of her actions related to the African American community, she is known more by the African American community and perceived well in that community. The fact that you'd spin that into racial stereotyping on my part is probably the most HillaryGAF thing I've ever seen in my life. And you want to school me on reading comprehension? Dude.

OT: yeah, yeah. I couldn't stay away.

FyreWulff

I agree that what he did 40 years ago doesn't really pertain other than to MAYBE set a precedent (which it didnt really do in some people's minds).

But are you saying sanders should sacrifice his happiness to be an ally to black people? What about drug addicts? What about the under/uninsured? What about XXX group?

I totally agree what you are saying, and I think anyone who does reorient their life for any type of similar cause is a true ally, but i think its really unfair to ask/expect people to give up their lives because XXX group of people needs help. It is asking humans to go against how they are wired. Hillary lives in westchester which is barely one step away from vermont in terms of socioeconomic diversity last I checked.

He had the connections and the money to live comfortably in the most active civil rights cities while still being an on the ground general, organizer, and speech giver. He could have lived comfortably, and ran for office in a black community where he could forward the community's concerns and be held to the fire when he didn't.

Instead he ran for office in a state that mostly already agreed with his general politics and never had to be concerned about black issues to be re-elected.

I am an African American voter who allegedly made claims about African American voters as a whole. Would I not include myself? You really in a position to condescend me, dude?

Name recognition entails more than "I know that name!" Why do you know that name? What does that name mean to you? Because of her actions related to the African American community, she is known more by the African American community and perceived well in that community. The fact that you'd spin that into racial stereotyping on my part is probably the most HillaryGAF thing I've ever seen in my life. And you want to school me on reading comprehension? Dude.

Some funny stuff, here.

He had the connections and the money to live comfortably in the most active civil rights cities while still being an on the ground general, organizer, and speech giver. He could have lived comfortably, and ran for office in a black community where he could forward the community's concerns and be held to the fire when he didn't.

Instead he ran for office in a state that mostly already agreed with his general politics and never had to be concerned about black issues to be re-elected.

But you are asking someone to give up their happiness for a great, moral thing that probably would be super frustrating (and assuming there aren't problems in vermont that he can deal with). Who does that? Can you actually name me someone who relocated and fully dedicated their life in this manner?

Maybe he thought being a very liberal senator outweighed being a local upstart in another state, who knows.

Piecake

You get back what you dish out. I asked a question and you were condescending and dismissive to me, so I treated you just like you treated me. I like the whole victimhood angle you got going in your post now as well.

I wanted clarification about what you meant. If you simply further explained what you meant then there would have been nothing else to discuss and I would have been fine with your post. But no, you had to be a condescending, defensive and dismissive instead of answering a simple question. You had to be excessively dramatic and turn it into a huge dramatic event.

Sure, I asked whether you thought that way because I was unsure what you were meaning by that statement. I wanted clarification. I did not accuse you of racial stereotyping. That is a big fucking difference, and if you don't understand that then I really have no idea why I am talking with you any more

And its hard not question whether you read my post or not because I said absolutely nothing about why you are a Bernie supporter.

Taken before Cruz and Kasich dropped out. Not sure how much meaning it still has.

True but I doubt it'll change drastically. His entire base wants him in this (under 50 percent of dems) and no doubt a few Clinton supporters don't mind him dropping out. I'd like to see how it's changed.

royalan

Sharpton couldn't do that because no matter where he moved, he was still black. King couldn't march and then fly back to Montana the next day, because he'd still be black. Obama can't decide he's going to focus on his beet farm in Indiana, because he'll still be black. Us white folk don't get this bare simple fact that the reason the Civil Rights Leaders got shit done is because civil rights is their reality. It's not for us. With a change of a haircut and a suit, we can go from Hippy to Businessman in the white priviledged society. A black guy that gets his hair cut and in a suit is a Black Businessman. Bernie had the freedom to change his clothes and go elsewhere and did, black citizens encounter racism no matter if they are homeless or a millionaire. King paid for it with his life.

Amen.

You get back what you dish out. I asked a question and you were condescending and dismissive to me, so I treated you just like you treated me. I like the whole victimhood angle you got going in your post now as well.

I wanted clarification about what you meant. If you simply further explained what you meant then there would have been nothing else to discuss and I would have been fine with your post. But no, you had to be a condescending, defensive and dismissive instead of answering a simple question. You had to be excessively dramatic and turn it into a huge dramatic event.

Sure, I asked whether you thought that way because I was unsure what you were meaning by that statement. I wanted clarification. I did not accuse you of racial stereotyping. That is a big fucking difference, and if you don't understand that then I really have no idea why I am talking with you any more

And its hard not question whether you read my post or not because I said absolutely nothing about why you are a Bernie supporter.

The last part of your post remains utterly perplexing.

- I talked about how Clinton's success relates to name recognition in the AA community.
- You ask whether or not I'm stereotyping AA voters (then proceeded to act like you insinuated nothing in doing so)
- I point out that I, myself, am a black voter and sarcastically claim I am voting for Sanders because I, myself, fall victim to the same innate predisposition to name recognition that I allegedly implied was true of black voters. The Sander's name means more to me than the Clinton name, after all.

What aren't you getting here?
You also can't accuse me of playing the victim in a post where you play the victim.

Meaningless since this was before Cruz and Kasich dropped.

"Meaningless". All of HillGAF wanted him to drop a month ago, let alone yesterday. Try again.

Piecake

The last part of your post remains utterly perplexing.

- I talked about how Clinton's success relates to name recognition in the AA community.
- You ask whether or not I'm stereotyping AA voters (then proceeded to act like you insinuated nothing in doing so)
- I point out that I, myself, am a black voter and sarcastically claim I am voting for Sanders because I, myself, fall victim to the same innate predisposition to name recognition that I allegedly implied was true of black voters.

Apparently you can't ask someone a question to clarify what someone mean without that being insulting.

And for future reference, I had absolutely no idea you were black, so you might want to include that information in the actual post so future snide remarks like that make sense.

What aren't you getting here?
You also can't accuse me of playing the victim in a post where you play the victim.

Why not? I asked a question and you were rude to me. You could have answered like an adult and said something like No, I don't think that way blah blah blah and I don't appreciate you insinuating such and such. I would respond no, I did not mean to imply that. I was looking for clarification and apologize to you if you felt like that. End of conversation.

Look at that. An adult conversation. Amazing.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I think the general point is, if you have aspirations for higher office, going to Vermont is probably not on the list of good moves you could make. If your objective was to go to the Senate, and advocate for very Liberal policies, it would be a good choice.

Vermont is a pretty terrible microcosm of the general population of the United States. Having political experience that consists only of Vermont means you will have to try that much harder to appeal to those not like the people of Vermont.

After all, Sanders is not running for President of Vermont.

Eusis

At this point it'd be symbolic at least.

And probably prompt more of us to pay attention to what else we can vote for, kinda surprised at the list of senator nominees there are.

Apparently you can't ask someone a question to clarify what someone mean without that being insulting.

And for future reference, I had absolutely no idea you were black, so you might want to include that information in the actual post so future snide remarks like that make sense.

Why not? I asked a question and you were rude to me. You could have answered like an adult and said something like No, I don't think that way blah blah blah and I don't appreciate you insinuating such and such. I would respond no, I did not mean to imply that. I was looking for clarification and apologize to you if you felt like that. End of conversation.

Look at that. An adult conversation. Amazing.

I live in a world where 'Adult' entails more than forced smiles and artificial politeness in the face of bullshit. It's a great, real world. Join me.

Not only did the original post hold the obvious implication that I was black (no shit),
I've also said so like twice since you initially questioned me so I don't know where the 'wait you're black???' is coming from.

See? Settled like honest adults who aren't afraid to speak their actual minds.

Kozak

Banned
Like what?

What, specifically, is he doing that is positive for these issues?

And no, no she isn't, because Bernie supporters aren't going to get her elected, undecided voters (I/E the vast majority of the GE) are.

Like bringing them to attention.

And thats just being passionately ignorant. Bernie supporters aren't going to get her elected, but they will be an important figure if she wants to get elected.

What issue could there be compromise on? The minimum wage I guess. Bernie's made it clear he's not happy till the banks are broken up and single payer is a reality, you don't appease him with half steps

Plenty.

I didn't write Hilary had to appease Bernie.

Preach it.

Piecake

I live in a world where 'Adult' entails more than forced smiles and artificial politeness in the face of bullshit. It's a great, real world. Join me.

Not only did the original post hold the obvious implication that I was black (no shit),
I've also said so like twice since you initially questioned me so I don't know where the 'wait you're black???' is coming from.

See? Settled like honest adults who aren't afraid to speak their actual minds.

That was in reference to my second post where I was returning your rudeness.

And you're no longer worthwhile talking to. Congratulations being the first person I have ever put on my ignore list in 12 years.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
That was in reference to my second post where I was returning your rudeness.

And you're no longer worthwhile talking to. Congratulations being the first person I have ever put on my ignore list in 12 years.

U sure showed him, internet tough guy

s10satsu

Banned
You do you Bernie. If Hillary couldn't damage the party by endorsing McCain over Obama or hoping Obama would get assassinated during the primary, I'm sure Bernie isn't going to do shit to it with his comparatively Kumbaya campaign. Personally wish he had dropped out to simply campaign on ideals after the South ate his lunch, but no biggie. Income inequality definitely needs to stay at the forefront of campaign issues.

I think the general point is, if you have aspirations for higher office, going to Vermont is probably not on the list of good moves you could make. If your objective was to go to the Senate, and advocate for very Liberal policies, it would be a good choice.

Vermont is a pretty terrible microcosm of the general population of the United States. Having political experience that consists only of Vermont means you will have to try that much harder to appeal to those not like the people of Vermont.

After all, Sanders is not running for President of Vermont.

I'd honestly be really interested in why he chose to run for president. I don't know if that has been answered by him, but he's obviously made a fairly serious run of it from the start and it'd be cool to know why. Because you're right, he doesn't have much of a background that would lead me to believe he cared much about furthering his political career.

You do you Bernie. If Hillary couldn't damage the party by endorsing McCain over Obama or hoping Obama would get assassinated during the primary, I'm sure Bernie isn't going to do shit to it with his comparatively Kumbaya campaign. Personally wish he had dropped out to simply campaign on ideals after the South ate his lunch, but no biggie. Income inequality definitely needs to stay at the forefront of campaign issues.

I'd honestly be really interested in why he chose to run for president. I don't know if that has been answered by him, but he's obviously made a fairly serious run of it from the start and it'd be cool to know why. Because you're right, he doesn't have much of a background that would lead me to believe he cared much about furthering his political career.

You know what? Never mind...

shit dude! you truly spitten some hot fire right now!

BriGuy

I just heard a clip of Hillary endorsing Obama in 08, so I don't know where this allegation of backing McCain is coming from.

You're entitled to hate Hilary Clinton if that's your prerogative, but at least do it for reasons grounded in facts.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

The best guess seems to be he was unprepared to get nearly as far as he got. And his original intention was just to be a message candidate.

Maybe after this election is over we will find out more.

Jams775

I just heard a clip of Hillary endorsing Obama in 08, so I don't know where this allegation of backing McCain is coming from.

You're entitled to hate Hilary Clinton if that's your prerogative, but at least do it for reasons grounded in facts.

“I think that I have a lifetime of experience that I will bring to the White House. I know Senator McCain has a lifetime of experience to the White House. And Senator Obama has a speech he gave in 2002.” (edit2: Bit of a mis-quote from Huffpo.?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD-p8ltbq6w

Edit: I think this is what people are referring to when they say she endorsed McCain over Obama.

MIMIC

Banned
“I think that I have a lifetime of experience that I will bring to the White House. I know Senator McCain has a lifetime of experience to the White House. And Senator Obama has a speech he gave in 2002.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD-p8ltbq6w

Edit: I think this is what people are referring to when they say she endorsed McCain over Obama.

So Hillary was saying that Obama was unqualified? Hmmmm. Where, oh where, have I heard that before?

Jams775

So Hillary was saying that Obama was unqualified? Hmmmm. Where, oh where, have I heard that before?

Yeah, it's not that big of a deal to me but I can see how saying McCain is better for the job than Obama is would upset some Dems. I agreed with it back in that election because it was a fair criticism to give.

Edit: man I can get my thoughts across without editing after the fact over and over.

Suikoguy

how so? i legitimately don't follow.

Aside from Sanders missing his target again, Trump no longer has to worry about anybody but Hillary.

Meanwhile, Hillary gets to deal with lame unsubstantiated personal attacks from two people.

MIMIC

Banned
Yeah, it's not that big of a deal to me but I can see how saying McCain is better for the job than Obama is would upset some Dems. I agreed with it back in that election because it was a fair criticism to give.

Edit: man I can get my thoughts across without editing after the fact over and over.

It's an interesting comment but as much as I don't like Hillary, it didn't bother me too much. She said "campaign", so I was thinking that she was speaking more along the lines of "McCain for the GOP", "me for the Dems" and "Obama for the Dems".

Which is why I brought up that the line about being unqualified. She says the same thing about Obama but people went batshit insane when Bernie did it (or didn't; I just heard the blurbs because I really didn't care).

Suikoguy

Which is why I brought up that the line about being unqualified. She says the same thing about Obama but people went batshit insane when Bernie did it (or didn't; I just heard the blurbs because I really didn't care).

Keep in mind a lot of the anger and frustration was from Sanders going negative and personal after saying he would not. Hillary has not gone very negative at all in comparison. The most negative she went was with attacking Sanders gun policy history.

There was a double standard that is still in effect, and Hillary did not go more negative in response to Sanders.

noshten

Keep in mind a lot of the anger and frustration was from Sanders going negative and personal after saying he would not. Hillary has not gone very negative at all in comparison. The most negative she went was with attacking Sanders gun policy history.

There was a double standard that is still in effect, and Hillary did not go more negative in response to Sanders.

Do I need to remind you they went ahead and tried to paint him as sexist at one point.

Suikoguy

Do I need to remind you they went ahead and tried to paint him as sexist at one point.

Some of Clinton's surrogates did indirectly try to do that. But i'd suggest not bringing surrogates into it considering the shit Sander's have said. I was referring directly to the campaign.

Zukkoyaki

Sanders fans are having the mother of all meltdowns on social media right now. It's funny because they're spouting the types of things you'd hear from Fox news despite being among the quickest to demonize it.

MIMIC

Banned

From a personal standpoint, I don't care what the candidates say about each other, as long as it's civil. It's an election. I EXPECT that kind of political trash talk.

But obviously Trump goes over the line.

I'm not sure if they're being delusional or just coy about the superdelegates strategy with hillary having an 18 to 1 advantage right now. Superdelegates of course will select the person who is both the front runner and heavily involved/influential in the Democratic party over the second place person who just recently joined the party.

noshten

Some of Clinton's surrogates did indirectly try to do that. But i'd suggest not bringing surrogates into it considering the shit Sander's have said. I was referring directly to the campaign.

I enjoy the revisionism in history but it was pretty clear what she(not her surrogates) implied during the debate.

Her surrogates simply ran with it afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom