• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA: PS4 GPU 3x less powerful than Titan, but more powerful than Xbox 720

Razgreez

You don't seem to understand, cards like the GTX660 are faster than old high end cards like the GTX480 with only a 2 or so year difference and yet only cost $230.

So it is not impossible.

I do understand though. Nvidia threw the price inflation rule book out the window with the GTX680 and have continued in this vain due to its success. Lest we forget the GTX680 (GK104) was originally supposed to be the GTX660 - although it might have been the Ti version with the 670 being the standard. Delays, better than expected performance and poor competition meant consumers were price gouged to oblivion.

USC-fan

Banned
With ONE graphic card you could play all of Ps3 and 360 games on PC. you just need to upgrade again, how do you think progress is made? By walking or Jumping?
That's not correct. Any card you brought in 2005 cannot play the latest games.

You okay with a pc until they force you to upgrade. Like until they required any higher tha dx11.1...

Both x720 and ps4 will support features dx11.1+ so its only a matter of time...

NV_BS_PR_zps9679244c.jpg

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I think the price inflation is a combination of weaker competition along with the impact of reduced spending during the recession. If there was no recession, Maxwell would probably be coming out and offering 1.5x Titan's performance for $550.

I also agree with the post above that far fewer people will likely make the jump from console to PC this generation. The IQ differences will be far less obvious. In the past it was SD vs HD, followed by 720p (if that) vs 1080p, and now it's basically 1080p vs 1080p. You don't really need more than that, especially not for TV gaming from normal viewing distances. Hell I'm playing Bioshock Infinite maxed out at 1080p and the IQ is blisteringly sharp.

Sony deveolpers obviously know their stuff better than anyone else, but everytime I think about it I can't help it but wonder why did they even bother with that 8 GB GDDR5 setup. I really can't imagine how a game that utilize 7-7.5 GB of VRAM at 1080p is going to looks like, even Rage with 16K textures appearntly just use a little over 2GB of VRAM.

artist

Banned
I wouldn't take the x axis too seriously, considering that Titan has been out for a good while now and PS4 is still half a year away.
They made the distinction quite clear between 360/PS3 .. but yeah the chart is off in so many areas.

jaypah

I wouldn't take the x axis too seriously, considering that Titan has been out for a good while now and PS4 is still half a year away.

It's Artist. He's a great poster for the lulz and he actually knows a thing or two but for a good while now he's only out to push buttons. It's funny but that's about it for now.

edit: to be clear I mean he likes to run through Durango threads headshotting any positivity or speculation of the sort. Often he's on point with his facts and that's why I like him. He's harmless and I'm no mod so I just enjoy the show.

Durante

Nvidia and AMD tflops are different, a Nvidia tflop is worth more than an AMD one. I don't know the math though.
That's true in the current GPU space, but it's inconsistent of NV to label the chart "GPU Flops" and then apply any kind of interpretation to the pure hardware numbers.

spwolf

Nvidia, we understand. No console maker wanted your high priced GPU's. But, can you blame them when all you do is overpromise and underdeliver? You've burned your bridges in the mobile space with your severely disappointing Tegra line of SOC's and now you're lashing out at the console makers. It's like you're trying too hard to stay relevant.

you sir, obviously dont understand the opportunity cost. Nvidia had a lot bigger projects on the table, such as project shield.

The interesting thing about this graph that's going to be ignored is the widening gap between PC and consoles at launch. I honestly wonder why/how the 360 and PS3 were on par with the high end GPUs and the PS4/Nextbox aren't.

If you have a set hardware you can push and know exactly what its good and what its bad at, and its workarounds, you can get far more mileage.

And it helps that more and more devs are targeting PS3/360 specs first.

I wouldn't worry about next gen.

M_A_C

You can't turn on your PC, launch a game, exit, launch another game easily when only using a controller and not all games support controllers.

But on console you have to set down the controller, stand up out of your chair, walk ALL THE WAY over to your console (risking serious injury), push an eject button, wait for the disk to eject, struggle with game cases (again, risking serious injury), insert new game, walk all the back to your bean bag chair, sit back down (careful not to tip over your Mtn Dew and Doritos), pick up controller, and finally able to start your new Call of Duty Halo part 2.

jaypah

But on console you have to set down the controller, stand up out of your chair, walk ALL THE WAY over to your console (risking serious injury), push an eject button, wait for the disk to eject, struggle with game cases (again, risking serious injury), insert new game, walk all the back to your bean bag chair, sit back down (careful not to tip over your Mtn Dew and Doritos), pick up controller, and finally able to start your new Call of Duty Halo part 2.

What about DD games? "well what about DD games on PC?" I know, right? And thus, the circle of life...

Truespeed

you sir, obviously dont understand the opportunity cost. Nvidia had a lot bigger projects on the table, such as project shield.

That's funny. You actually think that the opportunity cost of Project Shield is greater than the inclusion of your Tegra 4 SOC into millions of smartphones that will actually sell.

Ding-Ding

Wow, its almost like Nvidia cant fleece console manufacturer's next gen for 10's of millions of units.

Keep talking Nvidia, its not like your shareholders will notice the drop in revenue

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
My question as well.

Tech companies have marketing and sales departments that interact with customers that compete or interact with their competition. As a result, they tend to have a very good idea what their competition is doing. It's basically their job to know it.

Guys... are we sure this actually comes from Nvidia, and not some firm that did their own research?

NVM, got a friend to translate for me.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
If the end of Nvidia's estimated line represents the launch of a new GPU then the difference between that card and the 720 will be comparable to the difference between the 360 and the 720.

And yeah, GPU prices are getting out of control.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

How long have they been working on it (obviously not since this year but you get my point)? Because this could be an early response to next-gen consoles.

I hate GPU prices as much as the next guy, but the Titan isn't comparable to a 7800. The 680 is equivalent to the 7800 in this generation, with the 690 and Titan being two added tiers above what they used to offer. They could conceivably have created a monster GPU back then too if they thought there was a market for it. For this reason I'd like to see where the 680 is on the charts, but alas, they only showed Titan because it was their top of the line offering with the biggest difference.

Majanew

Banned
Not this shit again, we know and there is no need for weekly reminder. Focus the talk on those amazing cards without trashing consoles.

This right here. Who is Nvidia telling this to? Those wanting to buy next-gen consoles? For them to not be salty, they sure as hell can't shut the fuck up about how much more uber their PC GPUs are versus consoles.

artist

Banned
I hate GPU prices as much as the next guy, but the Titan isn't comparable to a 7800. The 680 is equivalent to the 7800 in this generation, with the 690 and Titan being two added tiers above what they used to offer. They could conceivably have created a monster GPU back then too if they thought there was a market for it. For this reason I'd like to see where the 680 is on the charts, but alas, they only showed Titan because it was their top of the line offering with the biggest difference.
I said it above but a 680 would be 2x as per Nvidia math.

Having 1/3 the power of the Titan is actually pretty impressive. Especially since you can code specifically for this setup and bypass that DirectX bloat. As for "to the metal" being laughed at, many first party Sony devs like Naughty Dog have been known to do low level coding, why do you think they can pull off stuff like Uncharted 2 with PS3 hardware? Also the ridiculing of RAM is getting ridiculous. It's always better to have more, especially when it's way faster and is unified. Devs like Epic went on record hoping the next gen consoles would have 8GB of RAM saying it would be necessary to provide a truly next gen-feeling experience and they got it. Before the 8GB GDDR5 announcement there was quite some debate over what was better, the PS3's much faster GDDR5 RAM even though it was only expected to have 4GB of it, and Durango's 8GB of much slower DDR3 RAM with a smaller amount of faster RAM to help out. There were pros and cons with less+faster and more+slower.. But then Sony announced the 8GB of GDDR5 and all of a sudden people got stupid. It apparently wasn't an advantage anymore, you have to be a dev to understand what RAM does, your feeble mind can't comprehend and so on.

fallagin

So if I cuts a Titan into three parts then ill have 3 ps4s? Then I can shave of a little from one of them and I'll get a wiiu and a xbox720. Sounds good to me!

thuway

So in Carmack dollars that puts the 680 on par with PS4?

:p

Yeap. Developers began using GTX 680s for their next gen demonstrations because that is what would be the closest card to the "Console" performance when maxed out. Sony is allowing low level access and once developers really crack it, you will see the fruits of their labours.

First post nails it.

Not when pc gpus just out raw power the consoles.

The mere fact that there is a pc gpu at whatever the cost that is 3 or more times as powerful as a new console is quite reveling in itself.
No such thing existed in a previous gen.

This means one thing consoles will get outdated super fast this gen. Gaming pcs will be 10x more powerful within a year or 2.

thuway

Not when pc gpus just out raw power the consoles.

The mere fact that there is a pc gpu at whatever the cost that is 3 or more times as powerful as a new console is quite reveling in itself.
No such thing existed in a previous gen.

This means one thing consoles will get outdated super fast this gen. Gaming pcs will be 10x more powerful within a year or 2.

As GPU's evolve over the years, the improvements have been nothing but lackluster. We need a true breakthrough in GPU tech and that hasn't happened yet.

Top Bottom