• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA: PS4 GPU 3x less powerful than Titan, but more powerful than Xbox 720

Twinduct

Lol just checking the local pricing for the Titan,
R16 700 .. or $1795 giving the current exchange rate.

Makes sense that I'd have to buy the PS4 three/ four times to match it heh

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hmm... don't know why but "only" a 3x gap between the fastest single gpu in the world and the gpu of a presumably $500 console, doesn't seem THAT bad at all.

onQ123

Not when pc gpus just out raw power the consoles.

The mere fact that there is a pc gpu at whatever the cost that is 3 or more times as powerful as a new console is quite reveling in itself.
No such thing existed in a previous gen.

This means one thing consoles will get outdated super fast this gen. Gaming pcs will be 10x more powerful within a year or 2.

You think that we are going to have GPU's with 18.4TFLOPS in a year or 2? really?

mr_nothin

Banned
Hmm... don't know why but "only" a 3x gap between the fastest single gpu in the world and the gpu of a presumably $500 console, doesn't seem THAT bad at all.

Which is basically 2 680's in SLI.
Doesnt seem like THAT big of a difference if you think about it like that.

Doesnt seem like THAT big of a difference if you think about it like that.

The graphics the PS4 is delivering in the demos shown so far indicate that people are more than satisfied with what they're going to get. Although everybody should always contextualize all of the information. The chart shown indicates that last generation the kind of gap between the consoles and top of the range PCs didn't reach the 2-3x level until 2-3 years after the 360 launched, while it's already there on D-Day -150 for this generation. PC gamers have been complaining about consoles holding them back for several years now, and if this chart is any indication, that situation will be worse this time around.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The graphics the PS4 is delivering in the demos shown so far indicate that people are more than satisfied with what they're going to get. Although everybody should always contextualize all of the information. The chart shown indicates that last generation the kind of gap between the consoles and top of the range PCs didn't reach the 2-3x level until 2-3 years after the 360 launched, while it's already there on D-Day -150 for this generation. PC gamers have been complaining about consoles holding them back for several years now, and if this chart is any indication, that situation will be worse this time around.

True, though I secretly hope that the disparity between consoles and pcs will reach somekind of critical mass and explode into a plethora of "crysis1-esque" pc exclusives that are made from the ground up for very high end hardware.

ASTROID2

You know someone should contact Microsoft about the inclusion of the Xbox 720 on that graph. Wonder what their comment would be. Would they jest say it's speculation?

True, though I secretly hope that the disparity between consoles and pcs will reach somekind of critical mass and explode into a plethora of "crysis1-esque" pc exclusives that are made from the ground up for very high end hardware.

I would settle with the majority of next gen games using the pc as the lead platform so the games are made to their max potential instead of being gimped by console hardware then ported to pcs.

With the new architecture inside of consoles there is no reason not to have the pc version lead first then port that game into something the consoles can handle.

artist

Banned
It's not. The chart assumes that Xenos was faster than desktop GPUs of that time and it was clearly not the case, the gaps are similar.

seldead

Because according to that graph the xbox was twice as fast as the geforce 2 and the 360 was roughly equivalent to the the 7800 so console graphics speed is regressing relative to discrete gpu's.

I thought we have got past the notion that a game on a console and game on a pc run at the same performance ratio.

you will get a lot more performance out of a console with the same hardware any day of the week.

These comparisons are silly.
Correct. Nvidia has an agenda

Daingurse

Was I the only one who read this and immediately thought, "Only 3X?" Sheeiit fucker costs a grand it better be on that next level.

Zinthar

It's not. The chart assumes that Xenos was faster than desktop GPUs of that time and it was clearly not the case, the gaps are similar.

What's your basis for that statement? As a PC gamer who owned an ATI card that year I think you're completely wrong, as Xenos was actually more powerful than the X1800 XT in a number of important ways.

Xenos was using unified shaders at a time when ATI's desktop cards were still on individualized pixel and vertex shaders, and had more raw shading power than the high-end cards of 2005. It also had superior framebuffer bandwidth vs those cards. At extremely high resolutions the fillrates of the desktop cards would catch up, but Xenos was an extremely powerful console card for its time.

The PS4's card doesn't have any bleeding edge tech that its desktop peers lack, and appears to be very similar to a mid-range 2012 AMD desktop card. And the next-gen Xbox's card is weaker yet.

NVidia is correct in asserting that this generation is starting with a larger performance deficit than the 360/PS3 did vs desktops of their day. Both companies (especially Microsoft) have aimed much lower than they did at the start of last gen as they're less willing to take a large hardware loss upfront early in the generation.

What's your basis for that statement? As a PC gamer who owned an ATI card that year I think you're completely wrong, as Xenos was actually more powerful than the X1800 XT in a number of important ways.

Xenos was using unified shaders at a time when ATI's desktop cards were still on individualized pixel and vertex shaders, and had more raw shading power than the high-end cards of 2005. It also had superior framebuffer bandwidth vs those cards. At extremely high resolutions the fillrates of the desktop cards would catch up, but Xenos was an extremely powerful console card for its time.

The PS4's card doesn't have any bleeding edge tech that its desktop peers lack, and appears to be very similar to a mid-range 2012 AMD desktop card. And the next-gen Xbox's card is weaker yet.

NVidia is correct in asserting that this generation is starting with a larger performance deficit than the 360/PS3 did vs desktops of their day. Both companies (especially Microsoft) have aimed much lower than they did at the start of last gen as they're less willing to take a large hardware loss upfront early in the generation.
Weren't there 7800s around in 2005?

E-Cat

GPU FLOPS he most important thing hardware according to PC fans
It is, as the ultimate yardstick of performance. As for RAM, you're mainly concerned with having enough of it so as to not cripple your performance.

Instead of rubbing their balls all over console owner's faces they should price their shit reasonably, 500 dollar midrange card and 1000 dollar high end card is a joke for us pc owners.

I blame amd partly, 7xxx series is a turd performance wise and they priced it way too high before nvidia released theirs.

If amd had something proper to bring to the table 1.5 years ago for a reasonable price we'd have had the real gtx 680 for under 400 by now.

Zinthar

So, Titan is ~6x the cost for only ~3x the power?

Like with any product that falls on the extreme high-end if its category, it's not at all economical. It's like saying a Ferrari is only twice as fast as a Mustang (although not even), but costs over 6x as much.

The chip in Titan, GK110 is essentially full "Kepler" and is likely the basis for their next generation of desktop graphics. By the end of next year the power of the Titan will almost certainly be exceeded by $300 cards -- possibly the $200 cards as well.

The past generation of consoles launched just ahead of a rather revolutionary PC card -- the 8800 GTX (November 2006). It was followed with a $600+ version called the 8800 Ultra that in many ways played the same role that Titan currently holds. But by October 2007, a process shrink let NVidia release a card almost as powerful as those two for $199-249: the 8800GT.

Zinthar

Weren't there 7800s around in 2005?

Yes. They also were of the pixel/vertex shader type. Unified shader graphics didnt come to PC desktop cards until November 2006 with the 8800 GTX, a full year following the 360's release.

I don't remember whether the 7800 or 1800 held the performance crown in '05. I remember it was quite close in '06 in the battle between their refreshes, the 7900 and 1900.

This seems to me to be good news for PC gaming. Play ports of great looking console games and you won't even need these GPUs which draw ridiculous amounts of power...Call me when they they get the draw back in reasonable figures with these high end gpus.

Also 3x cheaper.

Nobody knows the ps4s price yet. It's also unlikely judging by Sonys love of overpricing its hardware.

This seems to me to be good news for PC gaming. Play ports of great looking console games and you won't even need these GPUs which draw ridiculous amounts of power...Call me when they they get the draw back in reasonable figures with these high end gpus.

No this is horrible news for pc gaming. It means pc games will be gimped by the weak consoles sooner this gen. This is disappointing as it holds gaming in general back.

owasog

b382e1f7.jpg
- Why are the console jumps not perfectly vertical? I didn't know consoles slowly increased in power?
- Why does the PS4 have the same releasedate as Titan? PS4 is not even out yet.
- Why no horizontal lines for the PC-GPU's? It's not like there are GPU's being released every day...

Quasar

Nobody knows the ps4s price yet. It's also unlikely judging by Sonys love of overpricing its hardware.

No matter what I think a PC with a Titan inside will cost more than 3x the PS4 cost.

No this is horrible news for pc gaming. It means pc games will be gimped by the weak consoles sooner this gen. This is disappointing as it holds gaming in general back.

Well with consoles stuck at 1080p I guess you could argue that no matter what.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Only 3 less than the titan??

thats great news,even without taking into account the no overhead for consoles.

titan is 1k and still need to pay for the rest parts of a pc.if ps4 is less than 400 is going to be the best price/performance ratio,in the world!

With GPU's costing $1000 Nvidia seems to be pushing a new 'ferrari' model for enthousiast gamers with 4k monitors.

It's a price segment that didn't exist 8 years ago. I wonder if it's profitable.

Top Bottom