• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Gamer's Red Dead Redemption 2 Analysis, PS4 vs Xbox-one

thelastword

Banned

I'm thankful for this analysis, it's a nice comparison between the base machines and it's a bit more upbeat, it's also where the majority of us will play and I find it looks pretty solid across the platforms....The divide here is typical of PS4 vs XB-ONE, perhaps just a tad higher at a 56% uptick in resolution over XB-ONE....with some better AO and texture filtering.

NX says, there might be some reconstruction taking place and that dynamic resolution may be a possibility, but current reads speaks to a locked rez on these machines at 864p vs 1080p...(Unless Vgtech discovers something different ;)..)...,but right now, DF and NX generally agree here as far as rez is concerned, but NX makes claim to the possibilty of DR, especially under this heavy TAA implementation here...

In the end, I think both versions will give a similar experience, I think framerate is pretty close on this one, though NX gives it to the PS4.....where it's a bit better there..

Mid Gen Console Analysis XBONEX vs PS4-PRO

These two analyses are properly the most detailed I've seen on the internet on RDR2, the video for the base versions and the mid-gen versions....He touches on aspects that was not discussed elsewhere and addresses many questions we were asking about in the other thread....Well I asked one of those questions (how does pro perform in 1080p mode, how does it look etc....)....

Summary:

XBONEX at 2160p, PRO at 2160CB

XBONEX looks sharper and clearer and performs slightly better, there's nothing in it tbh (I'm talking framerate here)....The two mid gen consoles are pretty much 30fps for the majority of the time and pretty solid.....

PRO at 1080p with no supersampling mode can look a bit better (vs 4K mode at times) with higher saturated colors and perhaps a better fixed perspective...from what I'm seeing anyway.....You also get, pretty much a locked 30fps in that mode, even in cutscenes.....PS4 also has a sharpening filter, but that was disabled for PRO or 4K mode, it's at minimum when outputting to a 4k screen and locked there.....

All in all, pretty solid experience on all machines, but Rockstar can still make some tweaks here and there on PRO to increase sharpness and IQ.....

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
You know what? Fuck it. I’m reporting this shit.

I’m sick and tired of this guy always doing this console war bullshit. Every. Damn. Time. He’s not doing it to provide help or advice or to make people see the technical side of things. It’s clear why he’s doing it. Industry vets know him and laugh. Users know and laugh. He’s known on at least 4 other different sites. He constantly starts shit, gets reported and then... nothing.

I’m reporting it. Again. It’s time joke ended.

I think people need to just start playing the game and stop caring about how other versions shape up

I actually really enjoy reading about/learning about how games perform technically on different machines. It is interesting to me.

EDIT:

Although, to be honest, I admit that had I never seen the X footage of RDR2, I never would have wasted so much time obsessing over any visual blemishes on my Pro. So yeah, I feel ya

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
My post history shows what now...? I have every console going, and a fantastic gaming PC. I have no agenda other than good games. Give me a break.

Edit: What about me posting technical information on what happens and why, in real world scenarios? Seriously, you’ve looked at likely my last couple of posts taking about why this said game is better on X and what could be done to improve it on Pro. I do nothing but provide help and support, advice, technical analysis and information, and “I” have an agenda?

This is why people don’t post here anymore.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
My post history shows what now...? I have every console going, and a fantastic gaming PC. I have no agenda other than good games. Give me a break.

You get pissed if anyone says anything positive about PS4. You're showing that now. Calm down.

There's absolutely nothing to report on from the OP. Most gamers are on base PS4 and Xbox One, so there's nothing wrong with a breakdown between the two.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I’m sorry I do what now...? I couldn’t care less which console runs what game better and when. I care about providing accurate and none fanboy info.

You know what, forget it. It’s quite clear you haven’t got any idea what you’re on about and are just trolling here.

Vawn

Banned
I’m sorry I do what now...? I couldn’t care less which console runs what game better and when. I care about providing accurate and none fanboy info.

You know what, forget it. It’s quite clear you haven’t got any idea what you’re on about and are just trolling here.

You're the one outraged and reporting someone for sharing a video comparing the two most played versions of the game.

I actually really enjoy reading about/learning about how games perform technically on different machines. It is interesting to me.

EDIT:

Although, to be honest, I admit that had I never seen the X footage of RDR2, I never would have wasted so much time obsessing over any visual blemishes on my Pro. So yeah, I feel ya

That’s fair enough!

To me other than someone owns all consoles I don’t see the need to fuss over the technical details of other versions

Vawn

Banned
You're not really that gullible are you Vawn?

Showing a video that shows Xbox 1X running better than PS4 Pro is informative, but showing PS4 running better than Xbox One is starting a console war?

Double standards are fun.

Stuart360

Showing a video that shows Xbox 1X running better than PS4 Pro is informative, but showing PS4 running better than Xbox One is starting a console war?

So you are that gullible then, i thought you were better than that. Do a poll and ask the forum how many people thinks TLW did this to give us an 'informative' video, or he did it because he can't say shit about the X vs Pro versions as its a landslide. Bearing in mind that TLW has a Pro by the way, not a base PS4, and has never done one of these base model threads beofre.

EDIT. Also the DF video in the thread also showed the base consoles anyway, so little point to this 'informative' thread.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

But this video doesn’t show the ps4 version running better. It drops frames way lower.

There is barely any difference here as opposed to the great difference between the Xbox x and ps4 pro.

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
People really need a grip on reality. The days of PS2 and its “emotion engine” vs OG Xbox and its Nvidia gpu, or the 360 Xenon vs the PS3 Cell are LONG GONE.

These consoles are exactly the same with varying degrees of power. Both are x86 AMD SOC with 8 Jaguar cores. They are literally the same with once again, varying degrees of power.

Xbox One/s - PS4 - PS4 Pro - Xbox one X

And in that order is how games will look and perform from worst to best. But go ahead, keep stanning.

Three

The
You know what? Fuck it. I’m reporting this shit.

I’m sick and tired of this guy always doing this console war bullshit. Every. Damn. Time. He’s not doing it to provide help or advice or to make people see the technical side of things. It’s clear why he’s doing it. Industry vets know him and laugh. Users know and laugh. He’s known on at least 4 other different sites. He constantly starts shit, gets reported and then... nothing.

I’m reporting it. Again. It’s time joke ended.

Reporting it for what? The reason that it doesn't end is because even though everyone knows TLWs shtick he sticks by the rules and isn't unpleasent to people. He doesn't namecall or attack anyone personally. He doesn't post incorrect news. Often the people who get offended by his content are more unpleasent and invested in their plastic to attack another person who doesn't share their views. So have a chuckle at the thread because you know better and you know it isn't going to be impartial then move on. It doesn't matter. It's someone who loves their console, perhaps a different console than your own. It's fine as long as they are not rude and repect others. That's how I deal with fanboys of all kinds around here.

thelastword

Banned
Honestly I think it is pretty impressive how good the game looks on base Xbox and PS4 all things considered. This game is a technical marvel.
Absolutely, I got a better appreciation of the base models and how they look from that video. I think NX's video is at 1080p too.....So if you mashup all the consoles together, people normally all talk about the higher rez... and as he said, some persons were on about; this looks like crap or like vaseline on base models etc..and propogates...Yet if you look at his video, it really does not look bad on base models, because base model owners would be playing on 1080p screens...

Also, NX has a second video on Mid-Gen consoles, so I wanted to watch that before I posted it. I think this gives us a better appreciation of the consoles that you have....Vgtech does that too....XBONE vs PS4 and another video on XBONEX vs PRO.....When you do one mashup of all consoles, those with the higher end ones just go on a tangent, about how it's the best and only way to play....Vanilla owners tends to be left out and feel inferior, yet that should not be the case, because they play on 1080p and we play on 4k tv's...

Bearing in mind that TLW has a Pro by the way, not a base PS4, and has never done one of these base model threads beofre.
You know so much, everyone is an expert on TLW.....I have both btw....I still have my day one vanilla PS4....I've since packed my 1080p TV, but it was up just recently....

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So you couldn't spin the Pro being better so you decided to just omit the X and Pro? It's actually so sad it's kind of funny. Good work!

Last edited:
Please don’t make the thread entirely about TLW. The OP gives a reasonably fair analysis...even if it focuses on the PS parts in weird ways. Try and engage instead of attack, or just ignore TLW.
OP, Truly saddest no life basement dweller I have ever witnessed.

Out of jealousy how good Xbox one X performs over the Pro and the attention it gets lately he's going insane and cannot deal with it. Derails MS threads 24/7 non-stop.

Btw, my 1st report aswell..it's just enough of this clown.

You're the one outraged and reporting someone for sharing a video comparing the two most played versions of the game.

Overall, have you seen what this bum does on these forums towards anything MS..not just this post..don't act all dummy here, you've seen this cats novel performances.

thelastword

Banned
For those interested in the thread, a second video was posted in the OP, this time analyzing and comparing the Mid-Gen consoles....I really think that's the best way to do these comparisons going forward, everybody gets to see how their console does either on 1080p or at 4k spec.....

A summary of the mid-gen analysis was also posted......I think NX covered lots of what we were discussing or asking about, supersampling, 1080p mode etc....A really detailed breakdown... and yet he said he has a third video coming where he does a deep dive, discussing "the tech of the game", should be very interesting....I will post that too when it goes live....Cheers...

Last edited:
PRO at 1080p with no supersampling mode can look a bit better with higher saturated colors and perhaps a better fixed perspective...from what I'm seeing anyway.....You also get pretty much a locked 30fps in that mode, even in cutscenes.....PS4 also has a sharpening filter, but that was disabled for PRO mode, it's a minimum when outputting to a 4k screen and locked there.....

This makes me feel a lot better. I was going crazy for hours switching back and forth between SS on or off and I swore that with SS off it looked a little sharper. NX covers this specifically in the video. Seems like his explanation is SS off provides cleaner foliage in the background while SS on gives slight boost to character models and whatnot. That is my interpretation .

Foxbat

Banned
For those interested in the thread, a second video was posted in the OP, this time analyzing and comparing the Mid-Gen consoles....I really think that's the best way to do these comparisons going forward, everybody gets to see how their console does either on 1080p or at 4k spec.....

A summary of the mid-gen analysis was also posted......I think NX covered lots of what we were discussing or asking about, supersampling, 1080p mode etc....A really detailed breakdown... and yet he said he has a third video coming where he does a deep dive, discussing "the tech of the game", should be very interesting....I will post that too when it goes live....Cheers...

And just like that, TLW makes everyone who defended him look like an idiot. Lol

Sorry guys, you stuck up for him like he doesn't have an agenda when he clearly does. His edited OP is flat out deceptive at this point now. He paints a completely different picture than the video he linked does. He says that the PS4 Pro at 1080p with SS off looks better. What he doesn't state, is that IT LOOKS BETTER THAN THE XB1S AND PS4 BASE version... Otherwise, the Pro can actually look worse.
He also attempts to minimize the difference between the X and Pro, while the video states that there is a "Huge Leap" when comparing the two, and states that the Pro is "Hamstrung" on modern titles when compared against the X.

I reported the thread, not because I'm some salty fanboy, but because someone who isn't really knowledgeable could wander in here, and decide that the best version of RDR2 is on PS4 because TLW has slanted it that way here.

Posters like Xiaoki, Vawn, and Three look awful foolish now. You guys went to bat for him, and he went back and edited his OP proving they were on point all along. Lesson learned I suppose.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
This makes me feel a lot better. I was going crazy for hours switching back and forth between SS on or off and I swore that with SS off it looked a little sharper. NX covers this specifically in the video. Seems like his explanation is SS off provides cleaner foliage in the background while SS on gives slight boost to character models and whatnot. That is my interpretation .
Yeah, well I think the sharpening filter allows the environment to pop a bit more, things are a bit smudgier with it off or being unavailable in PRO mode. If they render in a native 16:9 resolution, say 1440p/1620p, they can still use the sharpening filter and not worry about exacerbating any potential artefacts you will/may see with such a rendering method (CB), or at least Rockstar's implementation of CB here....

Which brings me to the point......I would still like to know more about Rockstars CB implementation here.... Guerilla Games have made mention of various levels of CB for PRO, those of varying quality. CB implementations that use more information per pixel as opposed to those which do not, they opted for the latter, but perhaps getting them 4KCB instead of 1800pCB.......Less information per pixel at a higher rez nets you a sharper image, I'm thinking, perhaps at the expense of more artefacting....Yet, Horizon Zero Dawn has little to no artefacting, so maybe they did extra work with the ID buffer......It should also be noted that the normal/auto TAA implementation you get with CB, can also be tailored manually on PRO for even better results. So maybe they played with that too...It requires a bit more work though....

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
He says that the PS4 Pro at 1080p with SS off looks better. What he doesn't state, is that IT LOOKS BETTER THAN THE XB1S AND PS4 BASE version... Otherwise, the Pro can actually look worse.
I said SS off at 1080p mode can look better than PRO/4k mode sometimes....which can be even better if you use sharpening, I also noticed some higher saturated colors in that mode.....I also mentioned in another thread that, HDR off improves IQ too, but NX didn't mention HDR here, Perhaps in his next video...

Sorry for the DP, please merge into the post above.....

Last edited:

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
Folks, we all know TLW has a bit of a reputation...but his OP at the very least gives credit where credit is due before launching into his Sony specific commentary.

Please don’t dogpile the guy.

Just explain where you disagree or throw him on ignore if you can’t help yourself.

Baaaaaack to discussing the actual video!

Please?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So the playstation 4 base version looks better then the xbox one?

Interesting..

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Will check out the videos now. Thanks for posting them.

Gotta say though, some of the people in this thread are in too deep with their plastic boxes.

Console wars should be banter at most. Dude ain't harassing nobody. Just chill and respond accordingly.

Last edited:
Thats a pretty well done qnd unbiased op.

Not sure why there is outrage.

On topic: RDR2 is phenomenal looking, and I say this while playing on the base xbox 864p version, which is saying something.

The game is a technical feat on any console....rockstar certainty put that gta online money to good use.

All versions from a gameplay and playability lose nothing so that's a great thing as a gamer

As for the OP....I admire your ability to find a way to move the narrative

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
So does the Pro (1080p mode) look closer to the Xbox S Than the X ? It does to me but only seen Youtube (4kCB mode) footage. Iv'e played it on X and my standard Xb1 and i think it looks good once you get used to it as long as your tv is not to big.

Have not given a single one of those types of vidoes hits. I simply don't give a shit how it runs. It runs at a solid 30fps, looks good to me on a pro. I'd love to play it on an X but in not gonna shell out $500AU for one game.

TLZ

Banned
Have not given a single one of those types of vidoes hits. I simply don't give a shit how it runs. It runs at a solid 30fps, looks good to me on a pro. I'd love to play it on an X but in not gonna shell out $500AU for one game.
I've seen good offers the last couple days, but yeah, that's still a lot of money for one game when you already have a Pro.

Freeman76

Simplest answer is ignore TLW, he NEVER makes a valid point about anything. He has made a name for himself by being wrong in EVERY post. Its just amusing at this point, but if it winds any of you guys up just hit ignore. Solved.

ruvikx

Banned
Thats a pretty well done qnd unbiased op.

Not sure why there is outrage.

On topic: RDR2 is phenomenal looking, and I say this while playing on the base xbox 864p version, which is saying something.

Yep. It was always amusing (to me) to see certain fanboys go into a rage-war because of the differences between the pro & X machines (which represent a very small percentage of the install base compared to the 2013 consoles). What we see here is a typical split between both platforms slightly in favour of the PS4 (higher resolution makes the biggest difference), yet nothing truly crushing either ala "omg one version looks last gen by comparison!".

GenericUser

Oh for fu...... Why? What the hell are you doing this for? Are you being paid?

Go outside man...

Why do you insult him/her for posting a comparison video? I do think he/she has a point here. Most people still rock the PS4/XBone and want a more detailed comparison between the two.

Top Bottom