• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Gamer's Red Dead Redemption 2 Analysis, PS4 vs Xbox-one

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Actualy the game looks BETTER on a PS4 than it does a Pro, due to how they have done it.

I’ve seen it in action on a PS4, and while yes it looks a million times better on an X, it’s still a hugely gorgeous game (until you get into areas with heavy shadow, then you see how much resolution is important here due to shadow dithering).

But you can’t be that much of a graphics whore if you can’t see how bland the game looks in HDR on ANY of the systems. This isn’t a console issue, this is just what they did, which is, well, pants.

I play on an X, on a 65” OLED LG C7. The HDR in the game is the worst I’ve seen to date. Which is a shame, because th rest of the game (aside from a lot of the characters) is the best looking game I’ve seen to date.

But that sums up this game to me perfectly really... XY of feature are amazing but Z isn’t. I can apply this to everything in the game.

DavidGzz

To me it showcases how HDR doesn't matter too much. It still has the best looking lighting I've seen lol. So much for HDR.

drotahorror

If it comes to PC, can't wait to play it there. Turn that garbage TAA off, downsample a bit, the game doesn't look clean at all on base PS4.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I turned off HDR last night, it does look better. Great job R*.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I'll try to do so....have not done that yet.....Not even Sony has said a thing....I know it's selling more on that platform, but they should still address this... IQ could be much better...

always trying to get a sly dig in where ever you can. keep it up

Edit

Sorry I’ve been messing up quotes

I have seen similar problems with HDR when I tried to force HDR on my 2015 sony HDTV (HDR was added in update later on, but colors and contrast never looked as it should, picture was washed out).

Some people say HDR works correctly on right TV and right settings, so not everyone need to turn off HDR. But R* have to fix HDR problems on all HDTV sets anyway.

What display is that?

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Edit

Sorry I’ve been messing up quotes

What display is that?
Nevermind, because it looks like HDR is indeed not working correctly in this game. Unfortunately it's just fake HDR (SDR tone mapped to HDR)

So yes, before R* will patch it, it's much better idea to play in SDR

PRO at 1080p with no supersampling mode can look a bit better (vs 4K mode at times) with higher saturated colors and perhaps a better fixed perspective...from what I'm seeing anyway.....You also get, pretty much a locked 30fps in that mode, even in cutscenes.....PS4 also has a sharpening filter, but that was disabled for PRO or 4K mode, it's at minimum when outputting to a 4k screen and locked there.....

I have a PRO and a 1080p TV. Do I need to turn off supersampling mode or does the PS4 do this automatically? I thought the supersampling mode was really only for older games that didn't have a built in mechanism for handling this. Currently I play with supersampling on and it looks pretty good but a tad blurry. Definitely want to get the best IQ possible.

I have a PRO and a 1080p TV. Do I need to turn off supersampling mode or does the PS4 do this automatically? I thought the supersampling mode was really only for older games that didn't have a built in mechanism for handling this. Currently I play with supersampling on and it looks pretty good but a tad blurry. Definitely want to get the best IQ possible.

Game does not SS automatically. Neither does BLOPS4. The narrative of "SS only being for older games" is not fully accurate.

I mean, I think MOST games with Pro support SS automatically, but not every one, including these two recent releases I mention.

If you want the naive 1080p output then turn SS off. It is a little cleaner of an image but you also lose some benefits of the SS too. It's a give and take

Last edited:
Game does not SS automatically. Neither does BLOPS4. The narrative of "SS only being for older games" is not fully accurate.

I mean, I think MOST games SS automatically, but not every one, including these two recent releases I mention.

If you want the naive 1080p output then turn SS off. It is a little cleaner of an image but you also lose some benefits of the SS too. It's a give and take

Thanks for the additional info! I wish Sony would do a better job of explaining their own features!

Just finished the video and he does a great job explaining it. I am going to turn off SS tonight and see how it impacts things. I see the framerate is improved in 1080 mode too so it seems like the best bet for me!

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional info! I wish Sony would do a better job of explaining their own features!

Just finished the video and he does a great job explaining it. I am going to turn off SS tonight and see how it impacts things. I see the framerate is improved in 1080 mode too so it seems like the best bet for me!

I think that is definitely one thing MS did way better than Sony (explaining what these consoles can offer 1080p displays). I remember when Pro came out and the months after there was a lot of confusion in this regard that still exists. There are sitlll a lot of people who don't funny understand what Boost Mode does, let alone SS mode. MS seemed to come out right away and say "1080p users, this is what our console can do for you and how to do it."

TheUsual

Gold Member
So I'm playing this on a PS4 Pro hooked up to a 1080p TV. This is outputting at native 1080p, correct? (I don't have supersampling enabled in the ps4 options menu)

EDIT: Nevermind; saw this exact question answered.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
xbox, sales brought into technical analysis . At the end of the Day the Pro version needs patching that's all, not talking that it's selling better on a certain console. Talk about what's good or broke in the game

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
xbox, sales brought into technical analysis . At the end of the Day the Pro version needs patching that's all not talking that it's selling better on a certain console. Talk about what's good or broke in the game
Dude. My man. I get that dude has history here with some of you, but not everything is a conspiracy. His point was Sony shouldn't ignore only because they're selling tons. Some of you are coming off obsessed at times. It's not good for your mental health.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Dude. My man. I get that dude has history here with some of you, but not everything is a conspiracy. His point was Sony shouldn't ignore only because they're selling tons. Some of you are coming off obsessed at times. It's not good for your mental health.
Read his post, i get what your saying. He does make some good points at times but this thread has been made because the pro version not as good as the X version at the moment so he comparing base machines for spin. Then the little dig about sales.

Yes some of what he says makes sense at times. My mental health is fine thank you :)

I left my ingame 'HDR' setting on 100. It doesn't do anything apart from making bright things brighter, so probs an SDR upconversion; but the game looks good regardless. I notice some people set theirs to 200+ and it's hard to look at, particularly streamers on twitch. Every stream is stupidly bright. Nevermind the fact they're trying to stream with HDR on...combine with fake HDR and it all looks off.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I have no history with these guys.....I remember going back and fourth with SeanSpeed, Kezen, Dictator, Alexandros and some others, but none of these guys here. Alexandros was a pretty good poster who argued his take and he in particular was very civil in all discourses amongst others and we disagreed quite often btw. Overall, I won't have too much discourse with persons who can't stay on topic, are all about attacking the poster and not the content.....I am way past that, if persons want to go down the path of lieing and falsely accusing persons on a forum, then so be it....I'm only about stats and tangibles, or the tech in a (TECH) thread.......If XBONEX wins framerate, I will say so, If PRO wins framerate I will say so. If the tech is superior in a game vs another, I will say so....I'm less about opinion vs tangible data which prove otherwise.......

I know that some of these guys felt that OLDGAF was Sony Biased and most of them and their buddies were banned, but that had nothing to do with me. Surely, some of the attitudes displayed here (the personal attacks, dogpiling etc) is not becoming either, and would not be tolerated on most forums. When I look at some of these guys posts, they seem to be more revenge driven as opposed to wanting proper and civil discussion....People will have different opinions, it's a hard life lesson for some I know, but some persons need to learn that thick and fast.....It's a fact of life, opinions differ as far as politics, gaming, religion, work and pretty much every aspect of our social construct....

Anywhoos, back to it.....Vgtech Stats and Video, PS4 vs XBOX-ONE

Stats Page.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...cEtUkjgAMVXDf_Kc57ds7ODL4/edit#gid=2041498701

PS4 to XBOX-ONE (from left to right)

Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate 29.36fps 29.07fps
Median Frame Rate 30fps 30fps
Maximum Frame Rate 30fps 30fps
Minimum Frame Rate 24fps 25fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate 26fps 26fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate 25fps 26fps

So again, Vgtech confirms what NXgamer wrote about base PS4 to XB-ONE on framerate....Slightly superior framerate on PS4.....Also, as per NXgamer, there's a 46% uptick in resolution with better AO and filtering as well....All in all, pretty close framerate between base and mid-gen systems....If they could do a little optimizing in towns, that's be great as well, but I suspect it's the CPU being stressed there...

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I have no history with these guys.....I remember going back and fourth with SeanSpeed, Kezen, Dictator, Alexandros and some others, but none of these guys here. Alexandros was a pretty good poster who argued his take and he in particular was very civil in all discourses amongst others and we disagreed quite often btw. Overall, I won't have too much discourse with persons who can't stay on topic, are all about attacking the poster and not the content.....I am way past that, if persons want to go down the path of lieing and falsely accusing persons on a forum, then so be it....I'm only about stats and tangibles, or the tech in a (TECH) thread.......If XBONEX wins framerate, I will say so, If PRO wins framerate I will say so. If the tech is superior in a game vs another, I will say so....I'm less about opinion vs tangible data which prove otherwise.......

I know that some of these guys felt that OLDGAF was Sony Biased and most of them and their buddies were banned, but that had nothing to do with me. Surely, some of the attitudes displayed here (the personal attacks, dogpiling etc) is not becoming either, and would not be tolerated on most forums. When I look at some of these guys posts, they seem to be more revenge driven as opposed to wanting proper and civil discussion....People will have different opinions, it's a hard life lesson for some I know, but some persons need to learn that thick and fast.....It's a fact of life, opinions differ as far as politics, gaming, religion, work and pretty much every aspect of our social construct....

Anywhoos, back to it.....Vgtech Stats and Video, PS4 vs XBOX-ONE

Stats Page.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...cEtUkjgAMVXDf_Kc57ds7ODL4/edit#gid=2041498701

PS4 to XBOX-ONE (from left to right)

Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate 29.36fps 29.07fps
Median Frame Rate 30fps 30fps
Maximum Frame Rate 30fps 30fps
Minimum Frame Rate 24fps 25fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate 26fps 26fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate 25fps 26fps

So again, Vgtech confirms what NXgamer wrote about base PS4 to XB-ONE on framerate....Slightly superior framerate on PS4.....Also, as per NXgamer, there's a 46% uptick in resolution with better AO and filtering as well....All in all, pretty close framerate between base and mid-gen systems....If they could do a little optimizing in towns, that's be great as well, but I suspect it's the CPU being stressed there...

You got yourself a reputation, everyone can't be wrong about you, a shame really because you do provide some interesting viewpoints but spoil it with you're blatant bias for Sony and hate for Xbox. (Thats how it comes across)

Journey

Banned
Here it looks like an entirely different game! To me this is much worse than Xbox One vs PS4 comparisons from 2013 Yikes!

3jJ1618.png

FranXico

Here it looks like an entirely different game! To me this is much worse than Xbox One vs PS4 comparisons from 2013 Yikes!

3jJ1618.png
That's first and foremost a lighting difference (note the shadows pointing differently). You can tell the X1X is a bit sharper, but it's really not as bad as the differences of back in 2013.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
That's first and foremost a lighting difference (note the shadows pointing differently). You can tell the X1X is a bit sharper, but it's really not as bad as the differences of back in 2013.
Well clearly it is, but I was wondering what the poster's argument was. Apart from the throwback to 2013....

3jJ1618.png

I had a chance to see X version of RDR2 running on a Sony X900F and it blew me away. It absolutely blew me away. Now that screen is a huge upgrade over my 1080p display, but still, the native 4K resolution just popped. So crisp

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Before One X release:

Omg let’s compare base PS4 and PS4 Pro and check how the graphic are against Xbox One!

After One X release:

Meh graphics doesn’t matter, but let’s just compare base PS4 and Xbox One and see how much better PS4 perform compared to Xbox.

Shakes my head.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Before One X release:

Omg let’s compare base PS4 and PS4 Pro and check how the graphic are against Xbox One!

After One X release:

Meh graphics doesn’t matter, but let’s just compare base PS4 and Xbox One and see how much better PS4 perform compared to Xbox.

Shakes my head.

Do better.

I ignore it to stay on topic.

It goes both ways (and always will), that is delusional to think otherwise.

You say it works both ways but Is there really anyone that works as hard and that often on the other side? Be honest now.

Anyways as a PC owner I am jealous, regardless of which platform looks best. They have a great deal going on now for Red Dead Redemption 2 and an Xbox One (S or X model) but I'm trying to hold off.

iconmaster

Banned
Nevermind, because it looks like HDR is indeed not working correctly in this game. Unfortunately it's just fake HDR (SDR tone mapped to HDR)

So yes, before R* will patch it, it's much better idea to play in SDR

Good analysis of the actual brightness range. The issue is hitting all the gaming news sites, so I figure Rockstar will offer some kind of response.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy

So again, Vgtech confirms what NXgamer wrote about base PS4 to XB-ONE on framerate....Slightly superior framerate on PS4.....
Come on TLW. You are actively enabling that stuff with phrasing like that. A 0.3 fps frame deficit isnt slightly superior, its just slightly better and it hardly makes a world of difference in overall performance as both base hardwares are hit hard in towns. The PS4 has the benefit of 1080p resolution since that's by most cases its default advantage over XBO due to its GDDR5 memory and other things. The XBO is perfectly serviceable if you are coming from GTA V XBO, so really, i have no idea why, on the basis of fact finding, it is deemed important to denote a very slighty differentation in framerates and to sell that as slightly superior. Not only is that phrasing incorrect, really, fact finding does not have to retort to extreme nitpicks to have a discussion there.

Also, as per NXgamer, there's a 46% uptick in resolution with better AO and filtering as well....All in all, pretty close framerate between base and mid-gen systems....If they could do a little optimizing in towns, that's be great as well, but I suspect it's the CPU being stressed there...
Lets just summarize this:
  • Most console platforms sans X drop frames in towns.
  • All console platforms crash hard on that specific night scene (And i expect it is a bug.)
  • X performs most stable, followed by PS4 Pro a little bit behind.
  • Base hardwares perform nigh-on similar to one another, PS4 enjoys a resolution benefit.
I think that about covers it, yeah?

Vaev

As a long time base PS4 owner (white Destiny edition) I bought a Xbox One X solely for this game, while my friend let me borrow his old Vizio M50-C1. Not a powerhouse 4K TV in any sense of the word, but the lack of HDR actually didn't matter this time around. I'm having zero regrets getting the console and game on Friday. Game on ladies and gents!

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
  • All console platforms crash hard on that specific night scene (And i expect it is a bug.)
  • Base hardwares perform nigh-on similar to one another, PS4 enjoys a resolution benefit.
Just a little correction, the Pro at 1080p gives the best performance; a perfect 30fps, no drops.

I hope R* patch this game to give us a performance mode, for the ones that want a perfect 30fps. Many other games before it did, so not sure why they didn't. I'd rather that than having to switch back and forth between 1080p and 4k in PS4 settings when changing games.

thelastword

Banned
Hopefully it’s another case of AC Syndicate where the CB rendering gets fixed eventually. I initially thought the 1920x2160 was native and a setup for CB that wasn’t used. To have that res with CB reconstruction already active makes no sense as you put it.
Yes, definitely a setup for CB that was not used correctly, where it just remained the default resolution like La Noire remastered without the CB, that rez on its own is just not going to play nice on a 4k screen....
I think by default SS is off. I have a 4K screen, so I never bothered to put it on.

So, first thing. In the settings menu, turn off SS if you have it on....You should be at 1080p resolution since you have a 1080p display, so RDR2 should be rendering at 1080p and you playing at a locked 30fps. Be sure to turn off HDR in the game as it blurs the game out.... If after all this you are still not satisfied with the crispness, go to the game's menu and increase the sharpness level to maximum....or tweak to your desired level.
I think that is definitely one thing MS did way better than Sony (explaining what these consoles can offer 1080p displays). I remember when Pro came out and the months after there was a lot of confusion in this regard that still exists. There are sitlll a lot of people who don't funny understand what Boost Mode does, let alone SS mode. MS seemed to come out right away and say "1080p users, this is what our console can do for you and how to do it."
The thing about this, is that PRO did not have an SS mode or boost mode when it launched, these features came in later. However, I think Sony was super clear on what PRO was, the hardware features it had etc..

Cerny explained in detail, preferred resolutions, use of CB, geometry rendering, TAA implementations with CB, he spoke of the ID buffer and generally touched on the resources and time needed to properly CB a game (released game), farless one developed with CB in mind from day one.

He told devs, though PRO could do 4k native in some games, it didn't have the power to do 4K on everything, so hence the implementation of CB hardware and custom hardware to improve performance and clean a CB'd image, that is why PRO has more instructions per CU. So Sony was very clear to devs at least and used the media to explain pro's features, to the public, even DF.

As for SS, I still remember that TLOU thread... If anyone believes the pitchforking in the crossplay threads were bad, go visit that thread, for a remaster which had been out since 2014. Initially, DF complained about framedrops in the pro patched 1800p 60fps mode, both that mode and 4k 30fps mode downsampled, but it seems people were adamant about a locked 60fps. ND removed supersampling and improved performance in the 1800p 60fps mode, maybe knowing universal SS was coming at the OS level. So you had a solid 60fps at 1800p, 4k 30fps and a locked 1080p 60fps, if you set your TV to 1080p, people literally blew their gaskets, they now wanted SS back....

I think the PRO's way of handling SS is best, you tick it if you want it and not if you don't. So no need to run games at 4k downsampled, if all you want is the best framerate even if it is at a lower resolution or if you have a 1080p display. At least you have the option to choose at the OS level...

BigLee74

Another correction. X properly renders double the pixels of the Pro at a true 4k. Hey, if its a resolution bullet point for base PS4, then let's be consistent!

Come on TLW. You are actively enabling that stuff with phrasing like that. A 0.3 fps frame deficit isnt slightly superior, its just slightly better and it hardly makes a world of difference in overall performance as both base hardwares are hit hard in towns. The PS4 has the benefit of 1080p resolution since that's by most cases its default advantage over XBO due to its GDDR5 memory and other things. The XBO is perfectly serviceable if you are coming from GTA V XBO, so really, i have no idea why, on the basis of fact finding, it is deemed important to denote a very slighty differentation in framerates and to sell that as slightly superior. Not only is that phrasing incorrect, really, fact finding does not have to retort to extreme nitpicks to have a discussion there.

Don't expect a response. TLW pushes a narrative and doesn't respond to logical counter points.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

TLW conclusion: this clearly means that base PS4 is the big winner here.

Another correction. X properly renders double the pixels of the Pro at a true 4k. Hey, if its a resolution bullet point for base PS4, then let's be consistent!

It only matters when it benefits the posters agenda.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I always thought xbox one base looked better the ps4 base.

Weird. Must haven been the s model

Shmunter

60fps when though?
Next gen will be 60 for the majority of titles. I believe this to be the case due to significant cpu improvements allowing for adequate drawcalls to the GPU together with the visual fidelity befitting that gen. 30 FPS will no longer be a needed compromise.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Next gen will not be 60fps for most titles. That will never happen unless it’s mandated from the console maker. Developers will always use everything they can to get it looking the best they want. Most will target 30fps as usual because that’s the lowest people want to go. You’re fooling yourself if you think 60fps will become the new norm. Hell, I wish that was the case, I really do. But if it was, then expect to see titles looking exactly like you have now just in 4k and 60fps with No decent graphical leap.

MilkyJoe

You serious, Clarke. Look at the trees in the back.

Top Bottom