• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Gamer's Red Dead Redemption 2 Analysis, PS4 vs Xbox-one

Dlacy13g

I have no problem with NX Gamer analysis and think its actually good to get analysis from other sources than just DF. That said, I do find it annoying when I see someone like TLW posting an analysis of a reliable source and then adding his own "analysis" to the post as though it is inferred by the source material and credible. His agenda is clear and really just cheapens the actual analysis from NX Gamer by posting it the way he does.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Showing a video that shows Xbox 1X running better than PS4 Pro is informative, but showing PS4 running better than Xbox One is starting a console war?

Double standards are fun.

I wouldn't say double standards mate, just trying everything to keep Playstation in the best light when ever poss. goal post moving

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I don’t own an X but from what I undertand it handles universal downsampling to 1080p better than the Pro does

Good to know. I got the X and the game on Thursday. I'm kind of wanting to wait until Black Friday to get a 4k tv so maybe I'll just try it on the old 1080 tv.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don’t own an X but from what I undertand it handles universal downsampling to 1080p better than the Pro does

It was like this prior to Sony patching it in on the system level. Before you had to rely on developers allowing it or not. now it is all handled in the firmware which you can toggle on/off.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
OP's editing privileges are revoked. This ongoing retcon-the-OP-as-quietly-as-possible approach to discussion is manipulative behavior, akin to gaslighting the people in the thread to provoke in-fighting on on your behalf while you dodge accountability for the thread you posted and everything that followed. Drop the fuckery and raise your personal standards of conduct.

Side note @ a few unrelated respondents in the mix: comparative technical analysis is absolutely welcome on GAF and has been a core aspect of discussion here, for 20 years and counting. Despise and reject the entire premise? Click somewhere else.

Thanks.

OP's editing privileges are revoked. This ongoing retcon-the-OP-as-quietly-as-possible approach to discussion is manipulative behavior, akin to gaslighting the people in the thread to provoke in-fighting on on your behalf while you dodge accountability for the thread you posted and everything that followed. Drop the fuckery and raise your personal standards of conduct.

Side note @ a few unrelated respondents in the mix: comparative technical analysis is absolutely welcome on GAF and has been a core aspect of discussion here, for 20 years and counting. Despise and reject the entire premise? Click somewhere else.

Thanks.
source.gif

VAL0R

Banned

Thanks.
Red Thread Redemption

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
A step in the right direction evillore, and thank you. Discussions are fantastic, debates good. But outright fanboy BS needs to do one. Thank you.

I'm thankful for this analysis, it's a nice comparison between the base machines and it's a bit more upbeat, it's also where the majority of us will play and I find it looks pretty solid across the platforms....The divide here is typical of PS4 vs XB-ONE, perhaps just a tad higher at a 56% uptick in resolution over XB-ONE....with some better AO and texture filtering.

NX says, there might be some reconstruction taking place and that dynamic resolution may be a possibility, but current reads speaks to a locked rez on these machines at 864p vs 1080p...(Unless Vgtech discovers something different ;)..)...,but right now, DF and NX generally agree here as far as rez is concerned, but NX makes claim to the possibilty of DR, especially under this heavy TAA implementation here...

In the end, I think both versions will give a similar experience, I think framerate is pretty close on this one, though NX gives it to the PS4.....where it's a bit better there..

Mid Gen Console Analysis XBONEX vs PS4-PRO

These two analyses are properly the most detailed I've seen on the internet on RDR2, the video for the base versions and the mid-gen versions....He touches on aspects that was not discussed elsewhere and addresses many questions we were asking about in the other thread....Well I asked one of those questions (how does pro perform in 1080p mode, how does it look etc....)....

Summary:

XBONEX at 2160p, PRO at 2160CB

XBONEX looks sharper and clearer and performs slightly better, there's nothing in it tbh (I'm talking framerate here)....The two mid gen consoles are pretty much 30fps for the majority of the time and pretty solid.....

PRO at 1080p with no supersampling mode can look a bit better (vs 4K mode at times) with higher saturated colors and perhaps a better fixed perspective...from what I'm seeing anyway.....You also get, pretty much a locked 30fps in that mode, even in cutscenes.....PS4 also has a sharpening filter, but that was disabled for PRO or 4K mode, it's at minimum when outputting to a 4k screen and locked there.....

All in all, pretty solid experience on all machines, but Rockstar can still make some tweaks here and there on PRO to increase sharpness and IQ.....

To be expected, one or two lines talking about the X, a full paragraph on the Pro and the rest on the base systems so the focus can be everything but the X which is the clear winner.

Never change.

Hang on, what new info is in this thread? The digital foundry analysis also covered base consoles with the same results. We already knew how the game performs on the machines most people own.

Mostly/Only the info from NX, later also covered by VGTech, was how the game handles SS for 1080p displays for Pro, which is definitely something a few of us were wondering, but probably could/should have kept it all in the DF thread

Ptownrich

Mostly/Only the info from NX, later also covered by VGTech, was how the game handles SS for 1080p displays for Pro, which is definitely something a few of us were wondering, but probably could/should have kept it all in the DF thread

I agree but this thread was originally titled/was specifically about the base consoles and not the Pro/X? Unless it was provacationally titled on purpose just to create a shit show. Which it did, obviously.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Its your mod pal, Kururu! But I'm not here for fun and games at this moment.

I'm here to inform you this thread needs to stop with the attacks on thelastword and we need to keep on topic. I'm not defending what they claim or say, but I've seen posts that are insulting or being flat out rude to them. You can absolutely criticize their belief on this subject, hold it to a fire, and test it. But the mod team doesn't want to see anymore of the personal attacks.

Of course this topic is going to be a hot bed for console warring and this isn't going to be just 100% stopped, but make sure you're not insulting other members. Just debate the statements and leave the user out of it.
Some staff has more patience than others.

Thanks.
I agree. I don't have much of a problem with the opinion but rather with the steering and actions that are behind that opinion. Silently changing posts to completely alter the meaning is a really weird post tactic: Making you appear like one was always right as a thread goes on.

The thing is, OP has an image of notoriety here and it has gotten to the point where even patient people are running dry on condoning this behavior.

Sorry I dont mean to drag this on but what does editing privileges mean.
The ability to post a thread or to edit the contents of one. May/may not include editing one's own posts aswell.

OT:
I think its great that DF, NX and VG supplement eachother in their analysis, providing different nuances to different things. When is a collab video going to come? ;)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Leadbetter is the best virtual sleeping pill, the other one is annoying but the new kid is half decent at least.

I must be getting old, which I am really, because I like the DF videos and the staff they have.

I don't want to watch a tech deep dive with people screaming and jumping around like a hummingbird in a shoe box which is what it seems to take anymore to keep the attention of most people today.

thelastword

Banned

Thanks.
Whoever accused me of editing contents of the OP to change the author's take is verifiably false.....All I did was edit out grammatical errors which I normally do and in the OP's case, I edited in two clarifications in parentheses...The first, (I'm talking framerate), and not that there's "nothing in it" as far as REZ is concerned vs XBONEX, there's nothing in it as far as framerate on the mid-gen machines....My other edit was when I put in parentheses (vs 4k mode at times) to indicate that I was only talking about the PRO....In essense 1080p mode on PRO can look better than the 4K 1920x2160CB mode at times, I never made that comparison to XBONEX. I only did these edits for clarification because a poster in particular (FOXBAT) falsely accused me, when he said I was trying to say the PRO mode looks better than the XBONEX, when that is totally incorrect, I have never said such a thing. If anything, I am the one saying loudest how blurry the PRO mode is, that vanilla PS4 even looks sharper at times......How would I then say the PRO version is better than the XBONEX version....Sigh!....

Look at FOXBAT's post on the second page.....

"TLW's trick here is editing. He leads readers to believe that the Pro version actually looks and runs better than the X version... Which simply isn't true. People call him out, and he immediately edits his post, to make it seem more unbiased. You refute his point, and he's editing his posts yet again in order to move the goalpost.".....

Then other posters run with it, because it's yet another attempt to get TLW......Where in this RDR thread or any, have I ever insinuated or made such statements alluding to the bolded?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Great news to report, then: no one will be able to unfairly misrepresent the scope of your editing misrepresentation when you can't edit your posts.

Vtecomega

Banned
So.....I am confused. Someone help a brother out.

I have a 4k tv and playing rdr2 on the pro. I will get a sharper image and better colors if I switch my pro to 1080p with the sharpening filter on?

thelastword

Banned
Via Vgtech

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...rpJLcsgx-8Suvgl0s1GxTlE4Fs/edit#gid=210632855

XBONEX/PRO/PRO-1080p mode, in that order below..

Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate 29.79fps 29.59fps 30fps
Median Frame Rate 30fps 30fps 30fps
Maximum Frame Rate 30fps 30fps 30fps
Minimum Frame Rate 21fps 24fps 30fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate 29fps 28fps 30fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate 24fps 27fps 30fps

"PS4 Pro, when outputting at 2160p, seems to render at a resolution of 3840x2160 using checkerboard rendering. However, there appears to be an issue with the reconstruction which causes pixel counts to come in at 1920x2160 in most cases. PS4 Pro renders natively at 1920x1080 when the system is outputting at 1080p with supersampling disabled."

And this is what I feared, and perhaps speaks to the results here. A properly CB'd image should read 3840 x 2160 and not 1920x2160....The base native image should not be the count...So something is definitely botched with Rockstar's CB implementation here and we need them to acknowledge that and give an update to when it will be rectified...

Vtecomega

Banned
Via Vgtech

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...rpJLcsgx-8Suvgl0s1GxTlE4Fs/edit#gid=210632855

Frame Rate Statistics

"PS4 Pro, when outputting at 2160p, seems to render at a resolution of 3840x2160 using checkerboard rendering. However, there appears to be an issue with the reconstruction which causes pixel counts to come in at 1920x2160 in most cases. PS4 Pro renders natively at 1920x1080 when the system is outputting at 1080p with supersampling disabled."

And this is what I feared, and perhaps speaks to the results here. A properly CB'd image should read 3840 x 2160 and not 1920x2160....The base native image should not be the count...So something is definitely botched with Rockstar's CB implementation here and we need them to acknowledge that and give an update to when it will be rectified...

So, I switched from 4k to 1080p on my pro and now the image is a lot more blurry. I don't get it.

thelastword

Banned
So, I switched from 4k to 1080p on my pro and now the image is a lot more blurry. I don't get it.
Turn HDR off for a cleaner picture, if you're still not satisfied, use the sharpening filter in 1080P mode, it should be available....Try it and report back...

TLZ

Banned
Via Vgtech

Frame Rate Statistics

Shouldn't 1920x2160 look better than 1920x1080 in general?

thelastword

Banned
Shouldn't 1920x2160 look better than 1920x1080 in general?
Depends on the game and the AA used. However the bigger problem is that aspect ratio, it is a problem because there are more pixels on the axis which normally has less.......It's a weird one, because such a resolution is only to be used as a base for CB, not to be displayed as the rez for the final image......So it's botched and IQ is worse because 1920 should be extrapolated to 3840, but apparently, that's not happening....

I could be wrong but forcing 1080p on a 4K display, depending on the display, could result in worse results than leaving it in 4k.

I think the decision is more about 1080p displays turning Supersampling on or off

Depends on the game and the AA used. However the bigger problem is that aspect ratio, it is a problem because there are more pixels on the axis which normally has less.......It's a weird one, because such a resolution is only to be used as a base for CB, not to be displayed as the rez for the final image......So it's botched and IQ is worse because 1920 should be extrapolated to 3840, but apparently, that's not happening....

As far as we know has there been any official word from the dev team at all?

Last edited:

Ptownrich

Via Vgtech

Frame Rate Statistics

Digital Foundry were reporting that very 1920x2160 resolution on Pro as far back as the first gameplay trailer. It's the same now at retail.

It's an amazing looking game on the Pro on a 4K screen whatever. Out of interest, have you actually played it?!

You never post much here about games themselves, instead you're focused on the more "hardcore" tech aspects of gaming: resolutions, cb rendering, framerate etc - system wars stuff basically.

Granted, some people are just big into this side of our hobby - digital foundry guys for example - but they come across as genuine as they give high praise across EVERY platform. Anyone into tech who seriously thinks Forza Horizon 4 isn't graphically stunning has zero credibility. Or an agenda.

Must. Talk. Down. Xbox. Someone. Might. Still. Think it's better. What. If. They're. Reading. Re. Educate.

Vtecomega

Banned
Turn HDR off for a cleaner picture, if you're still not satisfied, use the sharpening filter in 1080P mode, it should be available....Try it and report back...

Yup, you're right. Colors are a lot more vibrant and looks better with the sharpening filter on. Although I wanted to ask you...

I have the old sony x900b, it was the flagship sony 4k tv before hdr became mainstream. It supports 4k at 8 bit or 1080p at 12bit. Would 1080p at 12bit color be superior to 4k at 8 bit? Is that why I am seeing superior dynamic range and color at 1080p?

TLZ

Banned
Well if it really is an issue, we should tweet R* about this see what they say. If this is what they intended then nothing can be done about it.

octiny

Banned

Thanks.

Great news to report, then: no one will be able to unfairly misrepresent the scope of your editing misrepresentation when you can't edit your posts.

giphy.gif

thelastword

Banned
Yup, you're right. Colors are a lot more vibrant and looks better with the sharpening filter on. Although I wanted to ask you...

I have the old sony x900b, it was the flagship sony 4k tv before hdr became mainstream. It supports 4k at 8 bit or 1080p at 12bit. Would 1080p at 12bit color be superior to 4k at 8 bit? Is that why I am seeing superior dynamic range and color at 1080p?
I don't think 8-bit color depth is your issue here, perhaps there can be more vibrancy or less color banding with 12-bit color, but you have a 4KTV and I think it should get more use at that rez, and the image in most media should still be superior there.....Most media you will be using will be 8-10 bit anyway.....Your normal blurays and streaming netflix should be 8 bit, though UHD blurays should be 10 bit depth, allowing for a higher value range for the RGB spectrum...

The problem with RDR2's HDR is it washes out the image entirely, killing color vibrancy and even blurring the image somewhat, so that is kinda botched too...Hence, when you turn it off, it looks so much better.....Also, as for your first question, I think if you remove SS in the PS4 OS and set your output to 1080p, the PRO renders at 1080p.....So you get a locked 30fps there and you can use the sharpening filter to boost vibrancy even more...

Well if it really is an issue, we should tweet R* about this see what they say. If this is what they intended then nothing can be done about it.
I'll try to do so....have not done that yet.....Not even Sony has said a thing....I know it's selling more on that platform, but they should still address this... IQ could be much better...

Vtecomega

Banned
I don't think 8-bit color depth is your issue here, perhaps there can be more vibrancy or less color banding with 12-bit color, but you have a 4KTV and I think it should get more use at that rez, and the image in most media should still be superior there.....Most media you will be using will be 8-10 bit anyway.....Your normal blurays and streaming netflix should be 8 bit, though UHD blurays should be 10 bit depth, allowing for a higher value range for the RGB spectrum...

The problem with RDR2's HDR is it washes out the image entirely, killing color vibrancy and even blurring the image somewhat, so that is kinda botched too...Hence, when you turn it off, it looks so much better.....Also, as for your first question, I think if you remove SS in the PS4 OS and set your output to 1080p, the PRO renders at 1080p.....So you get a locked 30fps there and you can use the sharpening filter to boost vibrancy even more...

I'll try to do so....have not done that yet.....Not even Sony has said a thing....I know it's selling more on that platform, but they should still address this... IQ could be much better...

Thanks a ton for taking the time to answer, man. It makes a lot more sense now. I've been wrecking my brain for years trying to work out what color depth and bits meant.

I also noticed I have less input lag in rdr 2 with it set at 1080p. Maybe due to the consistent 30fps with that mode. Could be placebo though lol.

Last edited:
I mean yay I guess. Dude has pulled the same act for years, not wanting an honest conversation, just fanboy/shit posting and he finally gets a very light punishment. Better late than never?

Last edited:

Foxbat

Banned

Great, juuuust great. I now have a rainbow colored semicircle on the screen of my phone from smashing 'like' on your post.

Ahhh f*ck it. It was worth it! Great job.

thelastword

Banned
Thanks a ton for taking the time to answer, man. It makes a lot more sense now. I've been wrecking my brain for years trying to work out what color depth and bits meant.

I also noticed I have less input lag in rdr 2 with it set at 1080p. Maybe due to the consistent 30fps with that mode. Could be placebo though lol.
I think it's the locked framerate, it's locked even in cutscenes....

Perhaps what Rockstar can do is give us options on the menu...High Rez or locked framerate at lower rez, the latter is already there, but it would be nice if it was available in the options menu....The former, "which is the high rez mode" needs fixing....If they do that, all will be swell, everybody will be happy....People will play how they prefer to play...

You know what would be even better, if they offer a 1440/1620p, proper 4kCB and 1080p option on the menu screen.....That would be amazing, I hope that's where we're heading next gen at least.....

HeresJohnny

I've seen good offers the last couple days, but yeah, that's still a lot of money for one game when you already have a Pro.
On a near finished console cycle no less. $500 on a console fresh out of the gates of a new generation is questionable. $500 on a console at the end of a generation? Nope. New tech that smokes the X will be out in a year, I’ll wait for that

Shmunter

Via Vgtech

Frame Rate Statistics

Hopefully it’s another case of AC Syndicate where the CB rendering gets fixed eventually. I initially thought the 1920x2160 was native and a setup for CB that wasn’t used. To have that res with CB reconstruction already active makes no sense as you put it.

TLZ

Banned

Looks like VG Tech did his tests as well. A lot of the same places we’ve tested but did include Pro at 1080p with that disastrous cutscene I showed. It does seem to solve the perf issues at 1080p. So I guess if you’re willing to sacrifice image quality, it offers great perf. Now I’m curious how Saint Denis fares.

Thanks for posting this video. So, in conclusion, for 4k it's the X, and or perfect 30fps it's the Pro in 1080p.

Can the X force 1080p if one wants perfect 30fps?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thanks for posting this video. So, in conclusion, for 4k it's the X, and or perfect 30fps it's the Pro in 1080p.

Nope. Though the drops are so minor and infrequent during gameplay that it would be kinda crazy to drop to 1080p. I suspect nobody would actually notice any duplicate frames during gameplay.

pawel86ck

Banned
I have seen similar problems with HDR when I tried to force HDR on my 2015 sony HDTV (HDR was added in update later on, but colors and contrast never looked as it should, picture was washed out).

Some people say HDR works correctly on right TV and right settings, so not everyone need to turn off HDR. But R* have to fix HDR problems on all HDTV sets anyway.

Edit# it looks like indeed HDR doesnt work correctly in this game. Unfortunately it's just fake HDR (SDR tone mapped to HDR)

Last edited:

NXGamer

Sadly not, I covered this limit or at least potential reduction in 'options for the user' back with my Evil Within 2 video.

But to be honest the drop of resolution is not worth the almost insubstantial improvement in performance. The Pro is the same, locked 30 with an Overall lower quality image quality (Hair, trees, beards etc anything Alpha blended) but the total image quality is 50/50 as I covered in my video but the minor performance improvement is very minor IMOP.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
NXgamer@ can you test input lag in RDR2? People say PS4/P has lower input lag compared to Xbox One/X but for now no one want to test it and provide some data.

Thanks.

tumblr_nutmlgLQzU1tpri36o1_500.gif

Last edited:
Game looks and runs fine on my ps4 vanilla and a cheap HDR10 TV. And I've been a PC graphics whore for over two decades.

You guys just looking for a console war argument. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Top Bottom