• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Gamer's Red Dead Redemption 2 Analysis, PS4 vs Xbox-one

Be sure to turn off HDR in the game as it blurs the game out....

Thanks for the reply! This game is gorgeous no matter what system its on I am sure. Just want to squeeze any last drops out of the IQ. ;)

Is their an in game setting for this or do you mean the HDR setting in the system menu. I don't have HDR so its already off at the system level.

Next gen will not be 60fps for most titles. That will never happen unless it’s mandated from the console maker. Developers will always use everything they can to get it looking the best they want. Most will target 30fps as usual because that’s the lowest people want to go. You’re fooling yourself if you think 60fps will become the new norm. Hell, I wish that was the case, I really do. But if it was, then expect to see titles looking exactly like you have now just in 4k and 60fps with No decent graphical leap.

It would be cool if next-gen we get an option for most games to switch between true-4K/30fps or variable resolution or-1440p-1800p-something in the middle/60fps

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Next gen will be 60 for the majority of titles. I believe this to be the case due to significant cpu improvements allowing for adequate drawcalls to the GPU together with the visual fidelity befitting that gen. 30 FPS will no longer be a needed compromise.
You better believe, no more compromises for open world games for draw distance/draw calls etc......If you remember, many Sony first parties wanted to make their games 60fps, but had to scale down due to the CPU....Naughty with UC4, EVO with DriveClub etc.......Yes there will be 30FPS games, but the majority will opt for the higher framerate with Ryzen 2 cores......"There will be 120fps games too" in lieu of games like Quake Champions etc.......

Thanks for the reply! This game is gorgeous no matter what system its on I am sure. Just want to squeeze any last drops out of the IQ. ;)

Is their an in game setting for this or do you mean the HDR setting in the system menu. I don't have HDR so its already off at the system level.
No doubt.......

Yes, I meant turn off the HDR in RDR2 "in-game" in the settings menu....If you don't have an HDR TV, it should be off I'm thinking, but you can always ensure that it is.....Cheers.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Just a little correction, the Pro at 1080p gives the best performance; a perfect 30fps, no drops.
Is that really so? I watched the DF video and i remember that the X version was the most stable of all the platforms out there, as it was emphasized as such? I might be misremembering but that was the gist of the video i believe.

Don't expect a response. TLW pushes a narrative and doesn't respond to logical counter points.
Sadly i didn't get a reply back indeed. I think that's disappointing, but ignoring logical points is sadly not something one can revoke, unlike editing posts.

thelastword thelastword care to address the prior post?

TLW conclusion: this clearly means that base PS4 is the big winner here.
Big indeed. I am just not a fan of unwarranted excessive hyperbole when the point that is made refers to a 0.3 deficit in framerates. Its really meaningless unless you want to debate in perfections and be pedantic about it.

Even as a tech enthusiast one would know how unneeded that is. Now, RDR2 having no proper HDR.. that's far more interesting than ''In general PS4 PRO has a 0.3 fps difference compared to Microsoft.''

Next gen will not be 60fps for most titles. That will never happen unless it’s mandated from the console maker. Developers will always use everything they can to get it looking the best they want. Most will target 30fps as usual because that’s the lowest people want to go. You’re fooling yourself if you think 60fps will become the new norm. Hell, I wish that was the case, I really do. But if it was, then expect to see titles looking exactly like you have now just in 4k and 60fps with No decent graphical leap.
At the very least CPU performance will see a big boost compared to this gen, meaning that crowd simulation and density and physics can be boosted significantly too.

TLZ

Banned
Is that really so? I watched the DF video and i remember that the X version was the most stable of all the platforms out there, as it was emphasized as such? I might be misremembering but that was the gist of the video i believe.
Yeah. That's from the latest DF video.

At the end of the day though, the X still runs the best at native 4k and almost consistent 30fps with very few drops here and there. The Pro is kinda similar fps wise, but it has that 1920x2160cb issue that doesn't look right and makes it look worse than it is. Drop that to 1080p with sharpness setting to full and we get a slightly better picture. It's not 4k, and it's not at least a good CB like we got with previous games that still looked good, but at least we get a locked 30fps with it. Makes sense though, it's many less pixels compared to 4k.

Anyway, X users have nothing to worry about. They have a great version already.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Yeah. That's from the latest DF video.
Going on your word for it. I swear to God that it was X being more consistent..*
You aint getting the last word though. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Anyway, X users have nothing to worry about. They have a great version already.
They all are pretty good, even XBO base is a good version. Its just when you juxtapose it next to the others that it looks worse.

mad597

Banned
Come on TLW. You are actively enabling that stuff with phrasing like that. A 0.3 fps frame deficit isnt slightly superior, its just slightly better and it hardly makes a world of difference in overall performance as both base hardwares are hit hard in towns. The PS4 has the benefit of 1080p resolution since that's by most cases its default advantage over XBO due to its GDDR5 memory and other things. The XBO is perfectly serviceable if you are coming from GTA V XBO, so really, i have no idea why, on the basis of fact finding, it is deemed important to denote a very slighty differentation in framerates and to sell that as slightly superior. Not only is that phrasing incorrect, really, fact finding does not have to retort to extreme nitpicks to have a discussion there.

Lets just summarize this:
  • Most console platforms sans X drop frames in towns.
  • All console platforms crash hard on that specific night scene (And i expect it is a bug.)
  • X performs most stable, followed by PS4 Pro a little bit behind.
  • Base hardwares perform nigh-on similar to one another, PS4 enjoys a resolution benefit.
I think that about covers it, yeah?

So to TLW Sony is winrar, all hail Sony

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Only seen dips in one spot, and that was in the meteor cabin. Everywhere else has been spot on for me.

Don’t forget that while it may drop a frame here or there, it’s not actually noticeable to 99.99999999% of people playing.

Top Bottom