• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYU student tweeting drone strikes reveals U.S. war crimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
NYU student Josh Begley is tweeting every reported U.S. drone strike since 2002, and the feed highlights a disturbing tactic employed by the U.S. that is widely considered a war crime.

Known as the "double tap," the tactic involves bombing a target multiple times in relatively quick succession, meaning that the second strike often hits first responders.

A 2007 report by the Homeland Security Institute called double taps a "favorite tactic of Hamas" and the FBI considers it a tactic employed by terrorists.

UN special rapporteur on extrajudicial killings Christof Heyns said that if there are "secondary drone strikes on rescuers who are helping (the injured) after an initial drone attack, those further attacks are a war crime."

The U.S. refuses to discuss the merits of its overtly covert drone program, but the reports featured on @dronestream clearly document that U.S. hellfire missiles have intentionally targeted funerals and civilian rescuers.

And that's only a 10-month window in Pakistan. It has happened in Afghanistan as well, and the first instance of "explicit intelligence posthumously proving" that an innocent civilian had been killed happened in Yemen.

In September the NYU and Stanford law schools released a report detailing how double taps by U.S. drones affect the Pakistani population, and noted that "high-level" militants killed only accounted for 2 percent of U.S. drone strike casualties.

VeQX1.png

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-drone-tweets-reveal-double-tap-plan-2012-12

I cannot even comperhend how Pakistanis could tolerate such a traitoruous regime for so long. Allowing CIA to slaughter your own people? GTFO.

One of the lesser known facets of the CIA's drone program is that any male killed by these missiles is reported as (by the Pentagon and echoed, but rarely expanded upon, by the media) a militant irrespective of whether or not he was a combatant much less a target. And that's not even to mention were those in the near vicinity to come to tend to the wounded from this apparent explosion, they too would be labelled as combatants and fired upon.

As is the case with most displays of violence, replace "Muslim extremist" with American and it suddenly becomes a lot more acceptable to people. If terrorists were employing these tactics on US soil we'd be appalled.

Most of the country supports the drone war. It's bewildering.

In September the NYU and Stanford law schools released a report detailing how double taps by U.S. drones affect the Pakistani population, and noted that "high-level" militants killed only accounted for 2 percent of U.S. drone strike casualties.

What about "low-level" and "medium-level" militants?
Still, it's pretty obvious that the majority of deaths are of innocents.

DarkKyo

When we put all our money into defense spending, it hurts those at home and abroad. US government is pretty evil.

And my conservative parents think I'm crazy when I say we are the problem with the Middle East, not the spooky boogieman Muslim terrorists.

antonz

I keep hearing that the US are 'targeting civilians'. What do they have to gain by it, exactly? I dont get it.

Terrorists like human shields.

The Government doesn't give a shit because official policy is anyone over the age of 18 and male is automatically labeled a terrorist if killed in a strike.

Jburton

Banned
They are giving extremist Muslim terrorists justification to use acts of terror on US citizens / soil.

You reap what you sow.

This is beyond fucked and I feel like there's nothing to do except write 'This is beyond fucked' on an internet forum. It gets almost no coverage and isn't even part of the general American dialogue. I don't know. Obama please stop?

la_briola

Terrorists like human shields.

The Government doesn't give a shit because official policy is anyone over the age of 18 and male is automatically labeled a terrorist if killed in a strike.

Who are the Terrorists? The people who get killed, or the people drone striking them?

I keep hearing that the US are 'targeting civilians'. What do they have to gain by it, exactly? I dont get it.

The purpose of the "double tap" is to make certain that anyone targeted in the first strike is killed. The civilian casualties made up of first responders and mourners are apparently of little concern to our government.

And my conservative parents think I'm crazy when I say we are the problem with the Middle East, not the spooky boogieman Muslim terrorists.

But, why do they hate us?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta get those bad guys. No matter the cost. They hate our freedom!

Obama, Bush, and everyone else responsible for this fucking disgraceful program should be brought up on war crimes charges. I'm serious.

They're undoubtedly a problem. The problem with US "intervention" in the Middle East is that these extremist factions gain more and more popular support by virtue of their opposition to the US. This war is unwinnable, and the sooner we realize that the better off we'll be.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't think they're targeting civilians, they're targeting indiscriminately.
That doesn't sound right, either. We're just randomly taking out people over there for no reason?

Surely there's an explanation for this stuff. I find it hard to believe the US are just like some evil villain in a movie that just kills people for absolutely no reason whatsoever. There's gotta be something to gain by it.

Seanspeed

Banned
The purpose of the "double tap" is to make certain that anyone targeted in the first strike is killed. The civilian casualties made up of first responders and mourners are apparently of little concern to our government.
That makes some sense then.

The article was making it sound like the US were purposefully trying to kill civilians or something(like the terrorists do).

EDIT: Didn't mean to double post.

You think the people in the pentagon care about Pakistani civilians? It's not evil, it's apathy. They're trying to kill the "terrorists" and if other people get killed then sucks for them.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling

My mom freaked the fuck out and raged at me when I tried to explain the long history of the US, along with Britain and France, in the middle east and Africa. Wouldn't hear a word of it.

That doesn't sound right, either. We're just randomly taking out people over there for no reason?

Surely there's an explanation for this stuff. I find it hard to believe the US are just like some evil villain in a movie that just kills people for absolutely no reason whatsoever. There's gotta be something to gain by it.

We're using intelligence to determine if a desired target is at a certain place at a certain time, and we bomb them. The issue is that we don't even need confirmation that the target is there to commence the bombing, nor do we need to worry about any civilian casualties in the aftermath - most of whom will be labeled "combatants" anyway.

So we're gunning for the right people, but we don't care who gets killed in the cross-fire. Our bloated "defense" budget allows us to waste drone strikes on targets that may or may not house a person of interest at any given time.

Zebra

This is beyond fucked and I feel like there's nothing to do except write 'This is beyond fucked' on an internet forum. It gets almost no coverage and isn't even part of the general American dialogue. I don't know. Obama please stop?

It's frustrating that it wasn't brought up during the debates. It's frustrating that one of the rare things that both political sides can agree on is this sort of military force.

bdouble

That makes some sense then.

The article was making it sound like the US were purposefully trying to kill civilians or something(like the terrorists do).

EDIT: Didn't mean to double post.

How does that make sense? Its appalling and the article sort of has a point. Only way it makes sense is if you say the United States government is terrorizing. Yes we are terrorists. Striking fear in to a stretch of land that probably by now takes cover every time they hear any type of air craft.

The fact that we do a thing called a "double tap" just to make sure that the target is killed and no one comes to the bombing site for aid to treat any casualties.

MutFox

Banned
I hope Americans can understand why certain countries hate them...
If not, pride is clouding something there...

It's not about flags or beliefs,
but compassion for your fellow humans...

After reading this,

screenshot20121213at730.png

My first thought was:

All I need is one blunt, one page, and one pen
One prayer - tell God forgive me for one sin
Matter of fact, maybe more than one.. look back
At all the hatred against me: fuck all of them
Jesus died at age 33, there's 33 shots
From twin Glocks there's sixteen apiece, that's 32
Which means one of my guns was holding 17
27 hit your crew. 6 went into you
Everybody gotta die sometime; hope your funeral
Never gets shot up, bullets tear through the innocent

Nothing is fair, niggas roll up, shooting from wheelchairs
My heart is racing, tasting revenge in the air
I let this shit slide for too many years, too many times
Now I'm strapped with a couple of macs, too many 9s
If y'all niggas really with me get busy load up the semis
Do more than just hold it explode the clip until you empty
There's nothing in our way - they bust, we bust, they rush, we rush
Lead flying, feel it? I feel it in my gut
That we take these bitches to war, lie em down
Cause we stronger now, my nigga, the time is now

big_z

I wonder if the next call of duty will feature double tapping.

I thought it was common knowledge that the US did this a lot?

The US has a long history of killing civilians and hiding the fact. 60 minutes did a story on some self guided missiles used in strikes that the US claimed something like 97% accuracy but were hitting targets less than 30% of the time.

Lamel

Banned
I cannot even comperhend how Pakistanis could tolerate such a traitoruous regime for so long. Allowing CIA to slaughter your own people? GTFO.

Uh...why do you think Pakistanis hate their own government for bending over backwards for America?

Pakistanis get labeled terrorists, assholes, liars, etc. But they have it a lot harder than we Americans do.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I know people say we hold our government to a higher standard, but we really don't. As long as we don't hear too much about it on the news, we really don't care what the government does.

And then the person behind Bush takes off that mask and reveals it to be all the rich and powerful people who benefit from America's military hegemony and expansionist policies.

Yeah. Obama is not somehow beholden to Bush Jr.'s foreign policy. They're both simply symptomatic of a political system that coddles the ultra-rich, defense contractors first and foremost among them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom