• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
The preorder process went really smooth this time. Free shipping was a very nice surprise! Amongst the 35 launch games I'm looking forward to a handful so here's to hoping. Kind of wish they would have confirmed Medium as free for those that preordered Touch as they did with Lucky's Tale and Eve Valkyrie, VR Sports and The Unspoken would probably be my last choices for bundled games. Maybe it will show up at launch like Farlands and Dreamdeck did?

I just need release dates for Lone Echo and Arktika.1 and I'm golden.

Yeah, process was smooth as butter this round.

I am also curious why no mention of medium. It's not like it's a surprise title or anything.

But, I'm excited for it.

I'm also glad that GAF is talking about VR in a more positive note. Even though I decided to not order the PSVR, I'm glad it's getting discussion going. Even if I'm a little jaded, lol.

Yeah.

I have a PSVR preordered which I pretty much totally forgot about until those recent PSVR threads started popping up. It's been getting pretty good reviews so far, but I'm debating if I should hold onto it or if I'm going to be disappointed since I have the Oculus already and the touch controllers preordered.

Yeah.

I have a PSVR preordered which I pretty much totally forgot about until those recent PSVR threads started popping up. It's been getting pretty good reviews so far, but I'm debating if I should hold onto it or if I'm going to be disappointed since I have the Oculus already and the touch controllers preordered.

I'd say take a look at the exclusive games coming out for PS VR and make your decision off that.

While keeping in mind that some exclusives, may only be timed exclusives.

Wallach

Played around with ASW tonight in a few games. Mainly PCars.

It's pretty amazing. You can see the limitations of it when you look for it - a simple test would be to look at the gaze cursor trails within Oculus Home and how it can't accurately predict the correct path if you go in circles - but in-game, it is pretty much magic most of the time. It really does wonders for PCars.

I'd say take a look at the exclusive games coming out for PS VR and make your decision off that.

While keeping in mind that some exclusives, may only be timed exclusives.

Rez, Thumper, Sportsbar VR and Battlezone are all coming to Oculus later if memory serves correctly. There are very few exclusive games right now on PS VR that make me want it. Driveclub was making me jealous, but the reviews were less than stellar, although for me I'm sure it would still be pretty fun considering so far I've been immune to VR sickness.

Riptwo

Rez, Thumper, Sportsbar VR and Battlezone are all coming to Oculus later if memory serves correctly. There are very few exclusive games right now on PS VR that make me want it. Driveclub was making me jealous, but the reviews were less than stellar, although for me I'm sure it would still be pretty fun considering so far I've been immune to VR sickness.
Do you have a source on Rez? That would save me from buying a third HMD tomorrow!

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Did you try them? What did you play?

Bullet train demo, and a shooting gallery game I'm forgetting the name at the moment.

Sucks that there aren't more demos out there.

I was really impressed with the vive controllers but the touch feel closer to actual hands and are much more comfortable.

jevity

So I have bought a dk2 to test out before buying a cv1. My problem is that I am having a very hard time finding an updated setup tutorial. Some sources say that the dk2 is no longer supported, but post on other fora contradict that. Maybe one of you guys own a dk2 or used to own one, and are able to help me ?

edit : I downloaded 3 program from the developer site(https://developer3.oculus.com/downloads/platform/1.8.0/Oculus_Platform_SDK/)
but when I unpack the rars there are no .exe files inside ?

edit 2 : im downloading from here instead now, but I dont think this software is supported by the dk2 only the cv1 ?

vermadas

EVE Valkyrie is having a double XP weekend. And since the game is cross-platform, there should be some PSVR players out there to help with the multiplayer population. I haven't tried it in a while; think I'll fire it up this weekend and see what improvements they've made.

Just watched Allumette. Absolutely beautiful.

Supposedly this is only available for free for a limited time. Looks great.

DrBretto

Banned
Amazon order successfully went through. I assume the launch date should update closer to release.

wqvtkQi.png

Why are they so mad!

DrBretto

Banned
Wow...I can't unsee now....

They're WATCHING you!

Anyway, separate, general post:

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong with trying to set up Dophon VR for Wind Waker? The first time I started it up, it actually worked, it was just super low res, like everything on default safest settings. After screwing around with it, it starts off not even loading right on the right eye (I see yellow text) and when the game loads up, everything is all messed up and it flashes back and forth between eyes randomly. At first I totally thought I broke my Oculus.

Any idea what I did to break it? I tried to look up other people's settings and I went through it all with a fine toothed comb but I'm missing it somewhere.

I'm pretty bummed that the 780ti won't be getting ASW, as much as I feel it should considering it was a recommended card (and that it apparently can from a technical perspective), I can understand not wanting to develop the software for an old architecture that will only really support a single enthusiast card.

Because of that I think I'll skip out on Touch for now and save for a new card, I definitely think i learnt my lesson in regards to buying enthusiast hardware. I don't think it's for me anymore, I'd much rather get midrange hardware and not feel so committed to a particular architecture for exactly this reason.

It's just so crazy to hear how well ASW works, I already was coming into VR thinking that I wasn't even going to be able to play Elite, and yet Oculus's software got my system the rest of the way there.

I know there's a lot to be desired for this first generation of (consumer) hardware, but overall I'm pretty impressed with how things have gone thus far.

I'm willing to invest further as things stand now.

vermadas

Is there a special spray I should use to keep the lense from fogging up?

I usually play with a fan pointed at me and that seems to alleviate it. I've also heard people recommend letting the headset warm up by launching Oculus Home a few minutes beforehand.

I have some of these too, which work pretty well, but are expensive for a long term solution.

oakenhild

Where is the best place to buy Eagle Flight? If you buy it on Uplay, will you have to eclusively launch it from the Uplay client on the desktop? If you buy it from Oculus Store, are there any drawbacks? Will it launch seamlessly from Oculus Home?

Also, no reviews that I've found so far, just hands-on. Will definitely be waiting on reviews for it.

vermadas

Where is the best place to buy Eagle Flight? If you buy it on Uplay, will you have to eclusively launch it from the Uplay client on the desktop? If you buy it from Oculus Store, are there any drawbacks? Will it launch seamlessly from Oculus Home?

Also, no reviews that I've found so far, just hands-on. Will definitely be waiting on reviews for it.

I'm curious about this as well. I mean, I don't think Oculus would allow a title on their store to NOT launch "seamlessly" but I wonder if it will still require linking to UPlay to run in the background like other Ubisoft Steam games.

John Gruden put on a rift on Monday night football. Carson Palmer is using the rift to see practice footage from his point of view so he can go back and review. Amazing stuff

GeoGonzo

I think I'm waiting for the Steam release on late december. It's risky because by then the community may be hostile towards beginners or may have moved on to other games, but we shall see.

I did a beta test a few weeks ago and had access to the full game for a while after, although sadly that seems to have disappeared now.

It's really fun, and has some smart stuff to combat motion sickness which is really like to see some other games with artificial movement adopt. Not entirely sure it's worth £30 though.

I think I'm waiting for the Steam release on late december. It's risky because by then the community may be hostile towards beginners or may have moved on to other games, but we shall see.

I still dont understand why you cant purchase it on Steam now with Oculus support, then patch in the Vive support on 20th December.

I still dont understand why you cant purchase it on Steam now with Oculus support, then patch in the Vive support on 20th December.

I think that's because if it's on steam, it must have SteamVR support. I don't think there is a program that is a "Vive" version. It's either PSVR, Rift or SteamVR - and SteamVR means Rift as well.

vermadas

The price isn't putting me off of Eagle Flight as much as my backlog. I'm starting to accumulate a VR backlog in addition to my flatscreen one. It actually sounds like a pretty fun game. The biggest concern is that the multiplayer is a heavy focus, but the servers are likely to be barren until it hits more platforms (I think it has cross-platform multi?) People on reddit are bitching about the outer FoV vignetting, which the game uses to minimize sickness, being a non-optional feature. I agree it should be optional but none of the reviews I've read have said that it actually gets in the way of the game being enjoyable.

Because Ubisoft.

I think that's because if it's on steam, it must have SteamVR support. I don't think there is a program that is a "Vive" version. It's either PSVR, Rift or SteamVR - and SteamVR means Rift as well.

There are a few VR games on Steam that were not compiled with the OpenVR SDK and only Oculus. Dirt Rally for example.

oakenhild

The price isn't putting me off of Eagle Flight as much as my backlog. I'm starting to accumulate a VR backlog in addition to my flatscreen one. It actually sounds like a pretty fun game. The biggest concern is that the multiplayer is a heavy focus, but the servers are likely to be barren until it hits more platforms (I think it has cross-platform multi?) People on reddit are bitching about the outer FoV vignetting, which the game uses to minimize sickness, being a non-optional feature. I agree it should be optional but none of the reviews I've read have said that it actually gets in the way of the game being enjoyable.

Eagle Flight is cross-platform multiplayer with the Vive, but not the PSVR. I think the multiplayer will be effectively dead due to this, but we'll see. As of now I haven't ever gotten a full multiplayer map. Single player has been fun the two hours I've played so far (neck is a bit sore). VR is pretty new to me, so I'm probably biased, but the experience was worth the cost for me (got the 20% off). Doubt I put more than 10 hours into it, but we'll see.

Also, I bought it on the Uplay store and you get a Oculus Store key. Had to sign-in to Uplay once after launching, but you launch from Oculus Home seamlessly from then on.

Rimshot

Any suggestions on must have games for a new rift owner? I have Edge of Nowhere and Luckys Tale. but I would like to try something more. So any suggestions on games that work well with the included gamepad is appreciated.

And all cool games I find myself seems to be needing the touch controllers that can't come soon enough :)

vermadas

Any suggestions on must have games for a new rift owner? I have Edge of Nowhere and Luckys Tale. but I would like to try something more. So any suggestions on games that work well with the included gamepad is appreciated.

And all cool games I find myself seems to be needing the touch controllers that can't come soon enough :)

Blazerush - if you like the idea of RC Pro Am in VR
Chronos - if you like Zelda and/or Dark Souls
Dirt Rally - the best VR racer at the moment, IMO. Difficult though, and plays well with a controller but feels a lot better with a wheel.
Redout - if you like Wipeout or F-Zero
House of the Dying Sun - indie space combat with a single player campaign
Damaged Core - if face aiming is okay with you
New Retro Arcade: Neon - late '80s early '90s nostalgia trip in an arcade where you can customize the arcade cabinets to play ROMs via emulation. Doesn't ship with any ROMs or cabinet art for obvious reasons, so a lot of time investment is required. It's on sale on Steam right now and has a demo.
Windlands - if you want to test your vestibular system

Blazerush - if you like the idea of RC Pro Am in VR
Chronos - if you like Zelda and/or Dark Souls
Dirt Rally - the best VR racer at the moment, IMO. Difficult though, and plays well with a controller but feels a lot better with a wheel.
Redout - if you like Wipeout or F-Zero
House of the Dying Sun - indie space combat with a single player campaign
Damaged Core - if face aiming is okay with you
New Retro Arcade: Neon - late '80s early '90s nostalgia trip in an arcade where you can customize the arcade cabinets to play ROMs via emulation. Doesn't ship with any ROMs or cabinet art for obvious reasons, so a lot of time investment is required. It's on sale on Steam right now and has a demo.
Windlands - if you want to test your vestibular system

Good list. Euro truck simulator 2 also works great, as does Project Cars.

I love Abr VR also though its not a game and its very short, though its free.
Gunjack is great too

Bookoo

Chronos is awesome and probably one of the best games on the platform. It is a 3rd person RPG with fixed camera. I think it really pulls you into the environment and feels like a Dark Souls type game, but not as grueling.

I am also enjoy Eagle Flight alot. The flight mechanic is a lot of fun and the single seems to have a lot to do. Having a blast doing the time trials and trying for leaderboards. It also has 3 on 3 multiplayer, but the playerbase seems really small so I am not sure if it will fill out. The game comes out on Vive on Dec 20th so maybe it will fill out.

Zalusithix

Chronos is awesome and probably one of the best games on the platform. It is a 3rd person RPG with fixed camera. I think it really pulls you into the environment and feels like a Dark Souls type game, but not as grueling.

I am also enjoy Eagle Flight alot. The flight mechanic is a lot of fun and the single seems to have a lot to do. Having a blast doing the time trials and trying for leaderboards. It also has 3 on 3 multiplayer, but the playerbase seems really small so I am not sure if it will fill out. The game comes out on Vive on Dec 20th so maybe it will fill out.

Honestly, I doubt it for a number of reasons.

1. Unless it comes in with a healthy discount, not many are going to jump at getting it at that price, but months late.
  2. By the time it hits the Vive, the Oculus base will have moved on - especially with Touch launching and all the new experiences that will bring. So to fill out the player base, it would have to sell enough on the Vive to more than offset the loss on Oculus' side.
  3. Similar to reason number 2, Vive owners often gravitate to experiences using the tracked controllers, so a standard controller based game will have a difficult time pulling heavily from the user base unless it's damn impressive. Going by reviews, I don't think Eagle Flight is a game capable of doing that.

Eagle Flight just seems too expensive to me, fun or not. The game-play itself seems quite repetitive based on what I've seen and I can't imagine it's actually brimming with content. I may get it when it's sub 20 in addition to being active enough community wise to be worth it.

I'm actually back int Eve: Valkyrie lately and am loving it!

Eagle Flight just seems too expensive to me, fun or not. The game-play itself seems quite repetitive based on what I've seen and I can't imagine it's actually brimming with content. I may get it when it's sub 20 in addition to being active enough community wise to be worth it.

I'm actually back int Eve: Valkyrie lately and am loving it!

Yeah this is my issue too, I was surprised at the game being $40, I thought it would be $20 or $30 tops.

Review makes it sound interesting, but I'd rather save my money toward touch titles at that price.

http://www.roadtovr.com/eagle-flight-review-vr-psvr-htc-vive-oculus-rift/

Oculus store needs demos for these games (especially those above $20, who wants to buy a $40 game and cant play it due to nausea)

If Eagle Flight DOES feel like really flying and doesnt give motion sickness, after doing a demo I would pay the $40. No way willing to risk the $40 without a steam like refund system.

Tak3n

Banned
Yeah this is my issue too, I was surprised at the game being $40, I thought it would be $20 or $30 tops.

Review makes it sound interesting, but I'd rather save my money toward touch titles at that price.

http://www.roadtovr.com/eagle-flight-review-vr-psvr-htc-vive-oculus-rift/

Oculus store needs demos for these games (especially those above $20, who wants to buy a $40 game and cant play it due to nausea)

If Eagle Flight DOES feel like really flying and doesnt give motion sickness, after doing a demo I would pay the $40. No way willing to risk the $40 without a steam like refund system.

there is a 20% discount if you join ubisoft club (free)

Rimshot

I'm starting to fear that it was an unwise investment for me to buy the oculus rift. I have now tried both project cars and the solus project, and have felt motion sick only after a few minutes. Anyone else here feeling uneasy after such a short while with these games?

Wallach

I'm starting to fear that it was an unwise investment for me to buy the oculus rift. I have now tried both project cars and the solus project, and have felt motion sick only after a few minutes. Anyone else here feeling uneasy after such a short while with these games?

To be fair, these are two pretty intense games in terms of inducing simsickness.

There's a lot more content out there on the Rift that is easier to handle than these types of games. Especially so once the Touch releases and even more care has to be given to disorienting people that might be standing up.

I'd consider looking around in the library to see if there are other types of games that you find interesting that don't rely so heavily on artificial locomotion.

Rimshot

To be fair, these are two pretty intense games in terms of inducing simsickness.

There's a lot more content out there on the Rift that is easier to handle than these types of games. Especially so once the Touch releases and even more care has to be given to disorienting people that might be standing up.

I'd consider looking around in the library to see if there are other types of games that you find interesting that don't rely so heavily on artificial locomotion.

All interesting games seems to require the use of touch controllers though. So it seems I won't have anything to use the headset with until then, as all games right now that I can find either are third person or artificial locomotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom