• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

D3M0N_G3R

Neo Member
http://vr-lens-lab.com/product/oculus-rift-lens-inserts/

Does anyone use these? Right now I'm using the rift with my glasses. But I'm wondering if there is a more comfortable solution.

I like them. But keep in mind that there might be some Barrel Distortion. At least my Lenses have it and i have a Prescription of -2.25 and -2.75.

In regards to fit, my adapters always fit okayish in the beginning. But with the new "Adapters"(the red and black Little Silicone Pins) the fit is really good. No falling out of the VR-Lenses.

I can´t comment on the RABS Premium Lenses because there where not available at the time of my Order.

Wallach

http://vr-lens-lab.com/product/oculus-rift-lens-inserts/

Does anyone use these? Right now I'm using the rift with my glasses. But I'm wondering if there is a more comfortable solution.

Yeah, I was part of the Kickstarter for these, and also more recently ordered a second set with RABS lenses.

Before the RABS lenses, I would probably have said it was a toss-up between convenience and quality. The basic lenses have a pretty noticeable amount of barrel distortion, and they also didn't particularly fit inside the headset that well and were prone to moving around or even falling out when taking the headset off.

The RABS lenses however are pretty easy to recommend without caveat. They have eliminated most (though not all) of the distortion, with the remaining distortion being pushed farther to the peripheral and actually becoming something your brain learns to ignore (unlike the level of distortion in the original lenses). Also, they now ship with a small rubber insert attached to the lens frame that corrects the previous issues with fitting, and they now fit snugly without shifting around.

I'd definitely recommend going with the newer RABS lenses.

Sometime this or next week I should have my facial interface replacement from this same company that uses better foam lining. Looking forward to seeing how that compares to their replacement Vive foam (which I thought was far better than the stock foam in the Vive).

Faith

Thanks guys! So I'm going to order the RABS lenses. I hope I don't scratch my glasses or the Oculus Rift while using my glasses in the meantime. Just have to get a prescription now.

Grechy34

Are these sets okay with glasses? I am short sighted w/ astigmatism. I am considering picking one up for Christmas although they must be comfy with glasses as I don't like wearing contacts these days as they dry out my eyes. It's between these and PSVR at the moment.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Are these sets okay with glasses? I am short sighted w/ astigmatism. I am considering picking one up for Christmas although they must be comfy with glasses as I don't like wearing contacts these days as they dry out my eyes. It's between these and PSVR at the moment.

Depends on how big your glasses are. Mine are on the small side, but it's still pretty snug with the Rift. It's easier with the Vive.

If someone finally gets out some custom faces out for the Rift that are more glasses friendly, that would also be an option.

Grechy34

Depends on how big your glasses are. Mine are on the small side, but it's still pretty snug with the Rift. It's easier with the Vive.

If someone finally gets out some custom faces out for the Rift that are more glasses friendly, that would also be an option.

As I wear then everyday I'm a bit of a glasses whore. I have quite a few pairs of different styles and have some smaller ones which may suit. The main ones I use are Rayban Wayfarer style.

I've found that my astigmatism isn't really a problem with the Rift. I don't know why, but I see clearly in VR even without my glasses.

I don't know if I'm crazy, but with the newest Oculus Home update in combination with the new Elite patch the image quality and performance was greatly improved, even with my 780ti which never got ASW.

I'm kind of blown away.

It's a bit old news but all that combined with the change to the Rifts display settings (completely removing the red tint) really still makes me feel impressed as hell when I put that thing on.

It has most certainly not been put out and forgotten, as though the developers were more focused on the next iteration. So far I'm pretty happy with the software support, even if basic utility functions are laughably bare atm.

I wear glasses all the time but I use contacts just for the Rift even if I hate them. My glasses fits but it's very uncomfortable and I'm very afraid to scratch the lens of the headset.

vermadas

This has been talked about in the Vive and High End VR threads, but I think it's worth posting here.

Yesterday, Google released Google Earth VR on Steam with a headset check that would disallow anything but the Vive. The community on Reddit reacted quickly, and CrossVR, of ReVive fame, was the first to put out a public method for bypassing it. Another user released a patched executable that works even better. There are details in the reddit post here, and you can download the patched exe here.

But what if you don't want to wait for Touch? Looks like there are some crude keyboard controls you can use, as posted by another reddit user here:

Space - used to select. Hold to move in the direction you tilt your head
Enter - Brings up the menu. Use space button to select
Tab - Hold to awkwardly rotate the camera
Escape - Exits the app
R - Resets view

I haven't tried any of this yet. Post impressions if you do! Vive users are saying it's an amazing app.

How do we figure out if our version of Oculus Home is current or not? I'm looking at the bottom of settings/general and it says 1.10.0.3xxxxxx, that can't be current right?

Edit: actually nevermind, I think it may be.

fwpx

This has been talked about in the Vive and High End VR threads, but I think it's worth posting here.

Yesterday, Google released Google Earth VR on Steam with a headset check that would disallow anything but the Vive. The community on Reddit reacted quickly, and CrossVR, of ReVive fame, was the first to put out a public method for bypassing it. Another user released a patched executable that works even better. There are details in the reddit post here, and you can download the patched exe here.

But what if you don't want to wait for Touch? Looks like there are some crude keyboard controls you can use, as posted by another reddit user here:

I haven't tried any of this yet. Post impressions if you do! Vive users are saying it's an amazing app.
so is this and tiltbrush actually coming to the rift when the Touch controllers come out?

Honestly, I'm about ready to sell my Rift. I hear about cool games on the Vive fairly regularly, and I haven't heard ANYTHING about the Rift.

I saw a blurb that suggested that Google is bringing Google Earth VR to the Rift. I imagine they are just prepping it for the Touch controller release.

so is this and tiltbrush actually coming to the rift when the Touch controllers come out?

Honestly, I'm about ready to sell my Rift. I hear about cool games on the Vive fairly regularly, and I haven't heard ANYTHING about the Rift.

Everything major Rift related now is going to be Touch related, so naturally there hasn't been much of note recently.

http://uploadvr.com/oculus-touch-launch-window-games/

Don't know about Tiltbrush support, but it's getting Quill and Medium which look like pretty great creative tools.

I'm on the fence about getting an oculus. If I could get a used one for like 450 i might take the plunge. Gaf is all about the vive and I'm wondering if oculus has had its moment and I should just drop the 800 for a new vive instead. That said, it's early days and presumably developers will continue to support both for the near future. Thoughts?

I'm on the fence about getting an oculus. If I could get a used one for like 450 i might take the plunge. Gaf is all about the vive and I'm wondering if oculus has had its moment and I should just drop the 800 for a new vive instead. That said, it's early days and presumably developers will continue to support both for the near future. Thoughts?

Maybe wait and see how the Touch launch pans out. It does constantly feel like Oculus is a step behind and making all the wrong decisions. The Touch controllers look fantastic though.

YuShtink

The entire SteamVR library for Vive becomes compatible for Rift users once Touch releases (minus Google Earth VR without a hack). That's if you get Touch, of course.

Tain

Have you looked into Oculus Medium? Maybe Tiltbrush is more your thing, but I think Medium is way more exciting.

Tain

I really disagree with UVR's claim that it's particularly difficult to make inorganic models in Medium. The pseudo-voxel nature of it does cause some issues with making super-clean meshes, but between the mirror tools, stamping, and line constraints, it's surprisingly effective at mechanical designs.

Like, take a look at this from the RtVR review:

oculus-medium-10.jpg

As someone who's a functional but hardly great polygonal modeler, I'm finding Medium to be awesome. I can materialize ideas very quickly and, with the right process, get some pretty decent models out of it and into game engines.

Bookoo

Maybe wait and see how the Touch launch pans out. It does constantly feel like Oculus is a step behind and making all the wrong decisions. The Touch controllers look fantastic though.

As someone who has both headsets I will sort of disagree here that Oculus is making all the wrong moves. Vive gets a lot of hype because it was the first to release motion controls, which is a cool neat thing, but the novelty wears off.

I am not the type of person who only spends game time in VR, but if I am going to play any VR 99% of the time I am using my Rift because the games that are out are interesting and just have much better polish. I may hook up my Vive to try out some new demo real quick and to see what it is like, but most of the content is very early and just leaves me wanting a more polished version. Most of the time I don't play the content longer than 30 minutes. The two games that probably have my most play time is Budget Cuts demo (which is like 20-30 minutes long, but I have played it multiple times since it's awesome) and Holoball. Onward gets a lot of hype and it seemed neat, but also very early.

Oculus focusing on content is probably best move they could have made because they have things coming out that I am actually excited to play. If they just released their controllers with no real plans for content I would have been much less excited about them since I have already been sort of jaded by the experiences on Vive.

Once Touch comes out I feel like it's going to be hard for me to go back to Vive because most, if not all, of the Vive games will work on Rift and I personally find the Rift much more comfortable than the Vive. (if you wear glasses though that may not be the case depending on your frames. I don't find glasses that comfortable in either headset, but Oculus is by far the worst.)

The biggest difference is going to be tracking. They claim that you can do 360 degree tracking with only 2 cameras (which means you can play the majority of "roomscale" games since locomotion is done via teleportation or analog stick). If you have a much bigger play space (8-9+ feet) you can purchase a 3rd sensor. However it's a much less elegant setup than the Vive since you have to route cables back to the computer.

Also most games will likely be designed for front facing setups anyway so not sure how much of an issue it will be for Oculus content.

Tain

I've been working on a VR game for a bit and put it up on Greenlight yesterday. It's an arcade shooting game named Horizon Vanguard.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=800131647

It'll have Touch support and the plan is to also release in the Oculus store. GuitarAtomik pointed out to me over in the Vive thread that VR games generally don't actually have to go through Greenlight, which I wasn't aware of when I initially submitted to it. Oh well!

vermadas

I've been working on a VR game for a bit and put it up on Greenlight yesterday. It's an arcade shooting game named Horizon Vanguard.

It'll have Touch support and the plan is to also release in the Oculus store. GuitarAtomik pointed out to me over in the Vive thread that VR games generally don't actually have to go through Greenlight, which I wasn't aware of when I initially submitted to it. Oh well!

This is an awesome concept and will work great in VR. Thanks for the heads up Tain, will definitely buy when it's out.

So after some troubleshooting, I got my computer up and running again without crashing every two minutes.

I've also been looking at some Oculus Touch videos, and I'm totally excited. I'm not a big fan of the "holding wands" thing of the Vive and the PSVR and by all accounts, this seems much more natural.

So after some troubleshooting, I got my computer up and running again without crashing every two minutes.

I've also been looking at some Oculus Touch videos, and I'm totally excited. I'm not a big fan of the "holding wands" thing of the Vive and the PSVR and by all accounts, this seems much more natural.

Yes, I can't wait for Touch. It'll open us up to a bunch of previously Vive only games. Raw Data for instance, is going to be an immediate buy.

fwpx

has anyone had any luck getting their rift to work via USB 3.0 powered hubs?

I ask because I am trying to Pipe my connections (USB/HDMI) to a wall plate, which will feed directly through the wall into my living room. The dream is to just plug the rift into the wall and be able to play in the living room when I have company over (vs ugly wires through a hole in the wall or bringing the tower into the other room)

something like this:

fGqyoJ5.png

One route is a 6 keystone panel on each side, 2 hdmi, 3 usb and 1 ethernet (already have that)

But that disallows me from adding the second sensor for touch controllers.

Trying to figure out the best way to do this that allows maximum cord length, but also will actually work.

Linkup

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=800131647

wow, this bring such fond memories.

Megadrive Burning force iirc ?

Wallach

Yep, my order was processed just a couple minutes ago.

Their communication is so bizarre. Just the other day on Reddit their community rep was saying they were not even going to begin shipping until the 6th (which is why everyone was pissed off, because Amazon and Best Buy were not waiting until the 6th).

Suits me just fine if they are actually shipping so that they will be delivered by the 6th, though.

rav

I pre-ordered touch controllers pretty late (outside of the window for priority), because I wasn't sure of budget and other things going on. I got an email a couple days ago saying to check my Address and billing info because it was going to be shipping soon though!

Current status:
Pre-order
Estimated shipping: Dec 16 - Dec 21

I played some games with my Razer Hydra (I had forgotten about them in my closet for a while and discovered a driver on steam for them), and while cool it would break immersion a ton when I would accidentally move the base for the controllers, and I'd have to configure it all again. But that was actually the tipping point when I preordered!

120v

is there expected to be much of a "demand" for Touch? thinking about putting it on my xmas wishlist but i don't want anybody jumping through hoops getting it for me

Wallach

is there expected to be much of a "demand" for Touch? thinking about putting it on my xmas wishlist but i don't want anybody jumping through hoops getting it for me

I think if they aren't available on Amazon or through Oculus in time for the holiday you might be able to just get them at retail at a Best Buy. I don't think there will be a significant shortage of them though. Oculus' own supply may get backordered too far since they gave priority to Rift pre-order owners, but Amazon or Best Buy should be easily enough done.

rav

I doubt it will be anything like the Rift launch, but I'm sure most existing rift and DK owners are looking forward to it. Controllers add quite a bit of immersion to the VR experience.

New Rift customers should get it too, but most people that were going to jump in have [imo]. (not to mention the Vive already had controllers.)

I don't have sales numbers or anything like that to back up what i'm saying, other than friends that wanted in already are in and others are waiting for a revision down the line or don't have physical space to jump in yet.

Wallach

Got my VR Cover replacement facial interfaces and padding today from the Kickstarter.

I have to say, just like on the Vive, their memory foam replacement padding (the fake leather ones) are such a big improvement over the stock foam padding. Even more so on the Rift, I think, which I always found a bit stiff. I'm currently using the slim foam padding, and it's a major difference comfort wise. Hard for me to tell if the FOV is actually a bid wider than before, but it's definitely not negatively impacted compared to the stock foam.

My only complaint - and I figured it would be just the same here - is that like the Vive replacement foam, the shape and size of the foam pads is not quite exact it feels like and even after some fiddling in application it seems like the ends (where it meets to your nose) are a bit longer than they should be. You'll need to play with it a while to get it attached where it is comfortable and not actually sticking out into your nose, though it is plenty doable.

Not sure what they'll be charging for these when they actually start selling them on their store, but like the Vive ones I highly recommend them.

Does anyone use a display port adapter for their Rift? I bought a new monitor that requires the HDMI port (It's 2560x1080 so an adapter won't work for it) and my 980ti only has 1 HDMI port.

Touch comes next week! (hopefully, I preordered it the minute it came out.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom