• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of Gods and Men [Mafia] | Ambrosia In Front Of Me

Why do you have to turbo on a Saturday morning? -__-

Flavor, that very likely will never appear

Nobody has been lynched

wherearemahdragonz (0)
ezekelrage 2352 (2357)

swamped (2)
ezekelrage 2357 (2371)
blargonaut 2388
lone_prodigy 2398
sophia 2431 (2434)

lone_prodigy (0)
ezekelrage 2377 (2406)
swamped 2395 (2423)

ezekelrage (4)
ezekelrage 2406
swamped 2423
wherearemahdragonz 2427
sophia 2449

The new day begins as soon as I have all night actions or when this timer ends (whichever comes first):

There it was again, that wind, forming words in Xtulhur, the language of beings not even they, the gods, even nearly understood. The language of beings far more powerful than gods. The gods of the gods. Apparently some of those filthy mortals had spoken a few words in Xtulhur two days ago, but Peripseros did not understand them. They probably were nonsense anyway, considering that the mortal simply died and nothing reality-shattering happened. It was probably nothing this time, too. At least that's what he hoped.

Had he known that the Ancient Ones were somehow involved in this he would have never planned this whole thing. The stakes were too high. But now he couldn't back out. He would seem like a weakling to Komena. And why would she want a weakling? He was pretty sure she wouldn't. On the other hand, he also was pretty sure she would have chosen a beautiful body. Or at least the most beautiful body available in this dirty hole that called itself human civilization. How sad these filthy meatbags would be if they knew what beauty there was outside there realm. If they knew what incomprehensible appearance their gods had. If they would ever see Komena. Not that mundane hull she inhabited for the last few days, but her real nature. They would look upon their world with nothing but disgust. As he did. And as she surely also did, but was too pretentious too admit it.

He was interrupted in his thoughts by the words the wind was mumbling which suddenly became a lot clearer than they were last time. And they continued to become more pronounced and louder from repetition to repetition. The swelled from the distant whisper they initially were to a choir of infinite voices singing the words in unison as if they were one big, unnatural entity and soon exploded into a shrieking overwhelming scream as he had never heard before.

Then came the pull. He blacked out, his mind racing away from his body, leaving only an hull behind as it soon would be back in the realm of the gods, banished by the Ancient Ones from ever again entering this world and forever bearing the shame of this happening to him. Because of a game. Because of her.

pepsi5cspp.png

EzekelRAGE has been banished
Welcome!

146.jpg

They say eyes are like windows to the soul. They may be right. There is nothing more beautiful than the eyes of a mortal being full of despair. The tired stare before they jump. Tired of the life they are going to end. If you can get just a glimpse of this in Komena's eyes, all of these efforts would be worth it. All the effort of making a plan to get her down here to play. All the trickery to make her agree to a bet she could only lose. All the torture of having a mortal body even for a few days. All this, just to see her break. To make her even more beautiful.

You are Peripseros, God of the Decay, the Despair and the All-Swallowing Sea.

You are aligned with the Followers of Peripsenos (That's Scum).

You win when the Followers of Peripseros (including you) outnumber the Followers of Komena. You lose when all other Followers of Peripsenos are dead.

Each night phase you have to PM us one of the following commands you haven't used yet. If you fail to do so, we will choose one at random. The commands are:
Blindness
Ignorance
Impatience
Imprudence
Inactivity
Indecisiveness
Stubbornness
Tardiness

You can not be lynched. If you are about to be lynched, the day will end no one getting lynched instead.

You can not be the target of any night action. If any night action was to target you, it will fail.

But be aware: You feel various forces around you that could become dangerous to you.

Your Followers are:

You can not communicate privately with your Followers. They do not know who you are.

The game thread is here:

If you have any questions, please send a PM to YesNOnoNOYes or Royal_Flush.

Please post in the thread or reply to this message a confirmation that you received it.

Have fun!

CHAPTER VIII

The people of Mephyklai hadn't heard the wind nor the shrieking noises. All they heard was an occasional snore. But they felt it. The felt the absence of a balancing force. They felt the pendulum, formerly barely vibrating at its position in the center, now had swung heavily towards one side. Towards the side of Komena. But had they won yet? Were the man without age and the mythical spider gone? Could they continue their life in peace now? No - the still were there, standing on top o the townhall like they were standing there the last seven days. Distant. Detached. Motionless. But there were only so few people left? Couldn't they just stop that game? That slaughter? They've had enough of this sickening madness! They didn't want to continue...

"Good morning!", an unknown voice suddenly yelled from the town's gate towards the plaza, "I heard there is a game going on here. May I join?" The question was only answered with confused stares and silence.

Today's dictate is Motivation.

A new player will join the game. This player has a 10% chance of being a regular Follower of Peripseros, a 5% chance of being a 1-shot bulletproof Neutral survivor and a 85% chance of being a regular Villager.

I received all night actions. The day starts early:

119.jpg

"Who are you?", one of the villagers asked, "I know your face. I've dreamed about you last night"
"They call me Roytheone", the stranger answered, "You must be Komena, then."
"I, uhm... How do you know this? Who are you really?" Lone_Prodigy's eyes wandered across Roytheone's face, desperately searching for a clue of his real intentions, the reason for his smug smile or just anything at all. But what he found what not what he expected. And far less what he hoped for. He didn't find concern. He didn't find sincerity. What he found was delight. Delight about the despair he was witnessing. Delight about the last spark of hope that soon should be extinguished from all their hearts.

"What are you waiting for? Swamped, WhereAreMahDragonz, let's go! It's three against two and this bitch that calls herself God of Plants or something can't do shit while she's bound to this body! And I doubt that creepy guy and his pet spider up there will do anything to stop us. We got this!"

With these words Roytheone's hands reached for Lone_Prodigy's throat. He didn't try to stop him. This was over. Peripseros had won. The pendulum had swung back, even further than it had swung in their direction just minutes ago. They couldn't trick the balance of life. She out of all beings should have known this. But she had been too blinded by the sudden absence of Peripseros to see it. And now it was too late. Now he had won, even after she thought he had lost. She just should have said "no" when she had the chance. Before eleven of her faithfull followers gave their life in this cruel abomination of a game as it only could come from the sick and rotten mind of Peripseros. Now she had to feel what it was like to die as a mortal. Again. Yes, slowly the lungs of this body went devoid of fresh air, started screaming for more. She knew this would come. And she knew she soon would lose control over the body. She knew she would still feel the pain, feel the desperate struggle for air, feel death itself, but she wouldn't be able to fade it into the background and suppress the panic. To strong would be the instincts of this body she was bound to. She chose to be bound to. Just for a bit of honor. Was this really worth it? She couldn't find an answer to this question as suddenly her only thought was to breath in, to fill the lungs of this body with air, to live. But Roytheone's hands didn't release their relentless grip, and his smile just grew even bigger as he saw the desperate solicitation in her eyes, begging for release, begging for mercy, begging for life. Peripseros hadn't lied. Her eyes really were beautiful. But as all beauty this too had to come to an end. And so he only let go as all beuty, all life and every spark had left her eyes and all that was left was the empty, dead gaze of the corpse this body now was.

Releasing himself from that strangely intimate encounter, Roytheone turned towards Sophia. "I'm not touching you, that's for sure", he remarked, drawing a throwing knife out of his pocket "but that doesn't mean I can't kill you!" And with this he threw the knife, making it pierce right through Sophia's heart, where it turned into solid gold. But unlike many other things in life, in this case it didn't matter if it was made out of gold iron, gold or even some other unknown material. A knife in the heart aleways killed.

"I think we're done here. Let's leave. If that's okay with you", he added turning towards Royos who just answered with a barely visible nod.
"Well okay then. You two just follow me, I know a place where we can live the life that we deserve as faithful Followers of Peripseros."

And so a confident Roytheone and two other Followers of Peripseros, who couldn't quite process yet what had just happened left Mephyklai and were never seen again.

Blargonaut has been killed
Welcome!

57.jpg

What is reality? Is there a universal reality? Are there millions of realities, one for every living being? How would they intersect? How would beings interact? But if there is just one reality, how could you do what you can do? How can someone think they're talking to someone else yet are actually talking to you? How can they touch someone else, yet are actually touching you? How can they kill someone else, yet actually killing you? Is there reality at all?

You are an Illusionist (Better known as Lightning Rod).

You are aligned with the Followers of Komena (That's Town).

You win when all Followers of Peripseros are dead.

Once per game, during the night phase, you may send us the command Activate. If you do, all night actions will target you that night.

The game thread is here:

Please post in the thread or reply to this message a confirmation that you received it.

Have fun!

Roytheone has joined the game

The Followers of Peripseros have met their win condition

Swamped has won the game
Welcome!

60.jpg

You know exactly what you are. You know why they write songs about you. You know why there were wars fought about you. You know why Kallunia, God of Beauty, Berries and the Sweetness of Wine once sent her followers to kill you. You know you're the most beautiful being in this world. And probably in all other worlds, too...

You are a Ravishing Beauty (better known as Roleblocker).

You are aligned with the Followers of Peripseros (That's Scum).

You win when the Followers of Peripseros outnumber the other players.

Once per night, you may send us the command Block: <Player>. If you do, that player can't use any commands that night.

Instead of using your night action, you may once per night send us the command Kill: <Player>. If you do, that player will be removed from the game. Each night this command can only used by one player of your team. If you are the last player in your team you may use both this command and your regular command.

Your partners are:

One of the players is Peripseros, God of the Decay, the Despair and the All-Swallowing Sea. He knows your identities, but you don't know his.

Your team has a secret chat that can be found here:

The game thread is here:

Have fun!

WhereAreMahDragonz has won the game
Welcome!

67.jpg

Some people master the art of subtly influencing others. Some people are strong enough to force their will onto others. Some people learn how to read minds to blackmail others with their darkest secrets. And some people know how to take over the consciousness of others. Those people are where you studied. Those people are the ones that bring victories.

You are a Mesmerist.

Once per night, you may send us the command <Player A> targets <Player B>. If you do, if Player A uses a command that targets a player that night, that command will target Player B instead.

Instead of using your night action, you may once per night send us the command Kill: <Player>. If you do, that player will be removed from the game. Each night this command can only used by one player of your team. If you are the last player in your team you may use both this command and your regular command.

Your partners are:

One of the players is Peripseros, God of the Decay, the Despair and the All-Swallowing Sea. He knows your identities, but you don't know his.

The game thread is here:

Have fun!

Roytheone has won the game
Welcome!

47.jpg

Yo don't exactly know why you're here, but you do know that you're needed. That your brothers and sisters, your siblings in faith, need your help to spread the all-loving, all-filling, all-swallowing love of Peripseros. You will not disappoint them.

You are a Regular Follower of Peripseros

You may once per night send us the command Kill: <Player>. If you do, that player will be removed from the game. Each night this command can only used by one player of your team.

Your partners are:

The game thread is here:

Have fun!

Lone_Prodigy has lost the game
Welcome!

166.jpg

InhaleExhaleInhaleExhale. Inhale. Don't panic, don't panic! Slowly. Exhale. Wait. Inhale. Feel the air flowing through these lungs. Hold. Exhale. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat forever. Forever. Open these eyes. Filter through the impressions. Focus. Breath. Calm down. Remember why you are here. Why are you here? Think. Don't forget to breathe. You are here to honor your lost bet. To play a game with him. A disgusting game of murder. Of unnatural, of unnecessary death. A game to find him and his followers. Let's do this! But don't forget to breath. Mortal bodies are such an annoying burden.

You are Komena, God of the Hunt, the Crop and the Natural Balance.

Each night phase you have to PM us one of the following commands you haven't used yet. If you fail to do so, we will choose one at random. The commands are:
Eagerness
Eloquence
Focus
Foresight
Fortitude
Honesty
Intuition
Motivation

You can not be lynched. If you are about to be lynched, the day will end no one getting lynched instead.

You can not be the target of any night action. If any night action was to target you, it will fail.

But be aware: You feel various forces around you that could become dangerous to you.

The game thread is here:

Have fun!

Sophia has lost the game
Welcome!

74.jpg

Greed and foolishness are the only ingredients you need to make your life miserable. Well, having a free wish with Xeros, God of Knowledge, the Future and the million shining stars for solving a several centuries old riddle certainly helps. But your life probably would have gone awry anyway. But maybe you wouldn't be stuck turning everything that touches you into solid gold? Yeah, that'd be better for sure.

You are a Gold Cursed.

Whenever a player uses a night command on you, that player can not use any commands the following night.

The game thread is here:

Have fun!

roytheone

Well done team! We kicked town asses!

Now, not to belittle you guys, but I do think you guys couldn't have done it without me. Next time, try and pull your own weight a bit more, ok? I can't keep doing everything myself.

Uhm, yeah. That endgame was not how I imagined it. I will write a detailed post mortem in the following days, but one thing I can say about this game is that I heavily underestimated the impact the RNG elements would have.

I'd appreciate feedback to the design principle, the concrete implementation, overall balance, flavor, my modding skillz and anything else you have in mind.

Sophia

Uhm, yeah. That endgame was not how I imagined it. I will write a detailed post mortem in the following days, but one thing I can say about this game is that I heavily underestimated the impact the RNG elements would have.

I'd appreciate feedback to the design principle, the concrete implementation, overall balance, flavor, my modding skillz and anything else you have in mind.

I must admit. Despite the Day 6 dictate and despite all the craziness that happened, that was more balanced than I thought it'd be. One single scum kill would have turned that around for Town pretty easily, but the scum team flew under the radar and played off everyone very well. They almost completely assured their victory on Day 2 by lynching Darryl and FEP.

Some of this may be biased because I was a god, not some pitiful townie or regular scum.

Balance: In regards to the edicts and stuff seemed fine. Edicts were a fun mechanic. Not knowing what each one did sorta balanced them out. Flavor was also good, my only minor problem was the thing with blarg's introduction but that didn't turn out making a difference.

roytheone

I mean, let's be honest here. Who will get the scum MVP award isn't even a question here. It's me. And I am also the runner up. And third. I guess swamped can be 4 th if she wants.

Sorian

Banned
As I kind of said in the discord chat. Scum had this won anyway for awhile, town was looking for lucky breaks to pull it off in the last couple days and yeah, RNG really screwed them on the dictate summoning a new scum player but remove all of the RNG and scum still would have been successful imo.

The dictates leaned a little to heavily on RNG, to the point where the final outcome of the game came down to RNG. Plus a few of them weren't really balanced for a LYLO scenario. I like the idea behind them though, aside from the 10 post limit of course.

Sophia

The dictates leaned a little to heavily on RNG, to the point where the final outcome of the game came down to RNG. Plus a few of them weren't really balanced for a LYLO scenario. I like the idea behind them though, aside from the 10 post limit of course.

As I told Royal just moments ago, I liked all the dictates except for the one on Day 6. I feel like that one was unfair to basically everyone.... and yeah very devastating in a Lylo scenario.

The only thing I had against the ten post limit was that I had a migraine the entire day 2 phase.

*Splinter

I think there was too many confirmed (or "confirmed") town in this game, with the potential for even more.

Also RNG was also a bit much.

I think the vote-related dictates should have had alternative versions for if they were used after a certain point (such as MYLO).

I'm not sure if it would be better or worse to have the dictate powers already known by the gods. Having them unknown makes even their selection quite random, but then if they knew the dictates they would be even more powerful.

No complaints with the modding as far as I can remember.

Fun game overall, and apart from being a bit town-sided I think it was impressively balanced considering the amount of mechanics and potential craziness.

Sophia

"I can't wait for Sophia to show everyone her notes. I hear they're intense and on point."

Hahahahaha... ha.... ha.... ;_;

If anyone is curious, I took 303 posts worth of notes for this game. >.>;

*Splinter

"I can't wait for Sophia to show everyone her notes. I hear they're intense and on point."

Hahahahaha... ha.... ha.... ;_;

If anyone is curious, I took 303 posts worth of notes for this game. >.>;
Only 303? At least they aren't longer than the thread itself this time :p

Sophia

Only 303? At least they aren't longer than the thread itself this time :p

There's a few lengthy ones in there, but once I was confirmed townie on Day 3 I stopped putting a lot of speculation in my notes and instead started throwing it out in the thread. In retrospect, that may or may not have been a mistake.

Also, reading the scum chat right now and you did fine Dragonz. Far better than I did my first game as scum! >_>;

Sophia

Wow, scum team played incredibly well. I'm up to the scum chat as to where Seath fake claimed and really impressed with all the discussion the three of you had.

Top Bottom