• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Britney Spears CIRCUS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

inthezone said:
She's shooting Radar today. She also shot parts of it yesterday.

I came across the W photoshoot recently (its my favorite photoshoot of hers) so I just had to share!

Y7X1C4P_large.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

I have that issue..somewhere

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Cruzader said:
She's trying Lady Gaga's look and fails miserably.
*cough*

This magazine cover was taken in 2003...no one knew who the fuck Lady GaGa was 6 years ago.

*cough*

The internet has had time to digest the video, and reaction has been mixed. The consensus seems to be that it's different territory, with some welcoming the video's beauty and others wishing it would have been more like Womanizer or Circus - the pace setters for Circus' upbeat singles.

Me, I like a lot about it. The photography looks excellent, great shots with a gorgeous regal setting, I dig the fading...and Britney looks downright beautiful, as I said in my initial reaction. Plus I'm glad that it's something different, free of the typical cliche dance-video bullshit. It's a welcome change of pace.

I guess my only real issue is that nothing really happens. She's with the first guy, but all along the second guy is the one who's on her radar. That could have been done in like 30 seconds, but it takes four minutes here. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, nothing 'happens' in the vast majority of these videos - but this one has a visual presence about it where it looks like more SHOULD be happening. :lol Kind of a silly complaint, when I read it back to myself.

It's the same reason a lot of people didn't like My Prerogative's video. I think it was one of Rolling Stone's guys who said that it comes off like an extended version of one of her perfume commercials. I don't think that's a bad thing, it's got more going for it than If U Seek Amy did and will probably prove to be more memorable than that video...but I can see why it left a few folks feeling hungry for more.

Looking forward to seeing whether you dig it, ITZ. I think you will, I've watched it a few times and really come away impressed.

A third opening act has been added for the beginning of the North American leg: Johnny Wright's new boyband One Call.

They'll join Ciara and Kristinia DeBarge in opening for Britney at the first nine shows of the tour (Hamilton, Ottawa, NYC twice, Boston, Philly, Orlando, Miami, and Atlanta).

Again they don't sound too interesting, but hey, the more the merrier.

I know you don't want to know which new song debuted on last night's set in Paris ITZ
(anyone else who may be reading this, it's Mannequin - unfortunately not one of my favorites)
, but you MAY have already seen the other non-set related change...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVrqmGI0Jm0&fmt=18

...she looks much better as a blonde, it's one of her signatures! I'm not complaining though, reminds me of the Onyx Hotel look.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Toy Soldier said:
The internet has had time to digest the video, and reaction has been mixed. The consensus seems to be that it's different territory, with some welcoming the video's beauty and others wishing it would have been more like Womanizer or Circus - the pace setters for Circus' upbeat singles.

Me, I like a lot about it. The photography looks excellent, great shots with a gorgeous regal setting, I dig the fading...and Britney looks downright beautiful, as I said in my initial reaction. Plus I'm glad that it's something different, free of the typical cliche dance-video bullshit. It's a welcome change of pace.

I guess my only real issue is that nothing really happens. She's with the first guy, but all along the second guy is the one who's on her radar. That could have been done in like 30 seconds, but it takes four minutes here. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, nothing 'happens' in the vast majority of these videos - but this one has a visual presence about it where it looks like more SHOULD be happening. :lol Kind of a silly complaint, when I read it back to myself.

It's the same reason a lot of people didn't like My Prerogative's video. I think it was one of Rolling Stone's guys who said that it comes off like an extended version of one of her perfume commercials. I don't think that's a bad thing, it's got more going for it than If U Seek Amy did and will probably prove to be more memorable than that video...but I can see why it left a few folks feeling hungry for more.

Looking forward to seeing whether you dig it, ITZ. I think you will, I've watched it a few times and really come away impressed.
The video was a huge letdown for me, which really sucks because I was really looking forward it. The track was one of my favorites from Blackout and I was really interested to see what she could do in a music video for it. I guess my problem with it was that the setting and style came out of left field for me and was the last thing I was expecting for the video. I would have loved something a little bit less formal looking and more over the top like Circus. The regal style of Radar would have been perfect, in my opinion, for a video on Unusual You, My Baby, or Trouble.

That's a good point - it really does seem like it'd be a perfect setting for the more lush soft songs on Circus. That sort of contrast has gotta be intentional...kind of a reinterpretation of the song. The good thing is that it still works, even though as you said, they were bound to burst a few expectations that the fans built up over the past almost-two years.

Honestly, I still think the best idea for Radar would have been some sort of tour montage. Cliché, yes, but Radar represents both Blackout and Circus, just like the tour mostly represents those two albums. With the tour rocking throughout the Summer, it seemed a perfect time to feature some of its highlights in a four-minute video.

But as I said before, expectations and initial shock aside, I really do like what they came up with. Not perfect, but definitely memorable and pleasant.

Hello.

The Radar video sucked. They should have just did a concert video from her Radar performance, or use the choreography from that. She's chasing a man, they objectify a horse for "animal in the sack," she wanders around bored, it's a boring 'wtf.'

The Mannequin choreography is horrible but I'm sure it's them watering it down for Britney so I'm gonna blame her. Because then she doesn't even put any energy into it.

Lastly, she does good here. There's always a glimpse that she doesn't have to suck, which makes times like the Mannequin performance so much worse.

Mau ®

Radar video is not very good. She looks stunning in it and thats about it. Its full of odd fadeouts, horse sexualization and uneventful scenes. I do have to stress she looks amazing in it.

I found out by accident she did mannequin and well, the performance sucks. Putting aside crappy choreography, it doesn't suit the tour at all. Especially the "Freakshow/Peepshow" segment which is the most elaborate in terms of staging, props and costumes. It feels really stripped down, which is not the point of the tour at all.

Dont really like the black hair, Im hopeful she will change it for the American leg. Her being the only blond girl on the show makes her stand out and its just you know, her trademark color.

I haven't watched the Mannequin performance yet, I'm saving it for the concert.

Well, that and I remember the initial reactions to some of this tour's performances after the New Orleans show (lacking energy, confusingly simple choreography) - only to see that things had improved fairly dramatically for the better during the next shows, even as soon as the following show in Atlanta. I want to see how this thing progresses before I allow myself a reaction.

There's clearly still a large comfort zone that she and her choreographers are staying within. She peeks out of it every night, sometimes several times a show - she's just as capable of doing her thing as she's always been. Her energy and enthusiasm are consistent, but the physical stuff isn't...and as we discussed not too long after ITZ's concert, that's something that may be a longterm issue for her. We'll see.

But yeah, I'm with ya on blonde Britney. Not only does she look better as a blonde, but brunette Britney still reminds me of the Osama Lutfi era. Too soon, too soon.

Quick heads up: there's a cool little feature on Britney and the tour in the current issue of People (the one with the Michael Jackson tribute cover).

It's got some photos of her behind the scenes awaiting her entrance at various points during the show, and a little interview where she talks about the routine and the excitement of being on stage. It's worth picking up. Word is spreading online that there will also be a behind-the-scenes segment on Entertainment Tonight this Monday, from Paris.

In a neat bit of chart news, Billboard mentioned today that once the airplay Top 40 chart is officially released next week, Britney will have officially secured more airplay Top 40 singles than any other artist this decade. Radar is building steam in that department, it's going over well on radio so far. It's at #37 at last check, and still gaining spins quickly.

It's looking like its ride on the charts will take the same path that If U Seek Amy did: riding radio momentum more than crazy sales spurts. Usually her singles follow the opposite path, often hitting their chart peak before they ever gain steam on radio because of the insane sales...but Radar seems building steam the old-fashioned way, like Amy did.

btkadams

birtney fans, i was messing around today and made a piece of me remix. let me know what you think. i wouldn't call it a final version because i havent gotten any comments on it yet and have yet to comb through it and really hammer out kinks. but heres near final cut!

download by clicking here

comments are greatly appreciated thanks!

Mau ®

@btkadams: I liked the remix quite a bit. I liked how you changed up the progression of the song, its something the official remixes did not attempt. I think it needs a little more kick in the parts where there are no vocals to build anticipation (you did a good job with that at 2:25) and once the chorus hits it sounds kinda like the regular song, which is surprising since the remix itself changed it up until that point.

On another note, Piece of Me was first done by Robyn (maybe you've heard of her, if not, listen to her Robyn album because its pop perfection) and this remix for some reason makes it sound more like a possible Robyn version than the Britney one. And thats a good thing too.

BTW Toy Soldier you should be happy to know Brit was at recording studio with Max Martin just recently. Who knows what may be of that (album or re-release?) but Im sure you're jumping all over the place since I think its your favorite Britney producer. Not my cup of tea (more of a Bloodshy & Avant fan) but new, possible Britney music is always good i say!

No doubt, I was stoked to read the Max Martin news. I was hoping she'd visit his studio since the show is hitting Stockholm. Whether she was actually working on music or merely paying him a visit, I don't know, but I pray it was 'Oops I Did It Again...Again' in the making.

Max Martin is definitely my favorite Britney collaborator. Great songwriter, really tailors his songs to the singers - not just a factory-line hitmaker like so many others. He maintains creative control, never reliquishes it like so many other pop songwriters do ("Sure Christina, these lyrics are hot garbage...but you're the boss, let's use 'em!"), but still usually makes his songs genuinely signature to their singers. He's always seemed to get Britney - the voice, the personality, the icon. She knows better than anyone how to sell his quirky/sexy pop, and he knows how to best utilize what she offers.

Though I'll say that If U Seek Amy hasn't sat well with me over time (it's got its moments, but the melody and production have gotta be among the least-memorable we've ever seen from one of Britney's Max Martin singles). The guy is entitled to one lackluster record though, especially when his worst is still pretty darn good.

You're right that Bloodshy & Avant are awesome too. They hit IMHO (and I'm not exaggerating) their biggest Britney homerun ever with Phonography, but I still think Unusual You is probably the worst song on the album. They fucking rocked on Blackout and ITZ consistently, not to mention the quality they churn out beyond Britney.

btkadams I'm excited to hear your mix, I'm waiting for my next Big Brother break to listen.

I listened to the remix and I agree with ITZ - I love when remixes add a little more focus on a new chord progression to songs that would typically not place much emphasis on the melody. This is the first time I've heard someone try it with POM and I like it.

Gimme More is a song that often gets the same treatment. It has the same four bars of chords repeating over and over and over in the verses, which isn't at all a bad thing as it makes the chorus all the more insanely powerful, but a lot of mixers took that opportunity to inject some melody there. Very cool change of pace. That's exactly the route I took with GM - constructed my own new chord progressions for each section, gave it a more traditional structure. It's awful but the concept is what was important to me. One day I'll share that for kicks, I've meant to for months. I wish I had Britney's vocals stripped out of the song Chaotic - there's a song that I think could really benefit a lot from that treatment. Showdown, too.

So yeah I really dig what you did there, thanks for sharing your Britney mixes, as always!

jmdajr

Toy Soldier said:
I listened to the remix and I agree with ITZ - I love when remixes add a little more focus on a new chord progression to songs that would typically not place much emphasis on the melody. This is the first time I've heard someone try it with POM and I like it.

Gimme More is a song that often gets the same treatment. It has the same four bars of chords repeating over and over and over in the verses, which isn't at all a bad thing as it makes the chorus all the more insanely powerful, but a lot of mixers took that opportunity to inject some melody there. Very cool change of pace. That's exactly the route I took with GM - constructed my own new chord progressions for each section, gave it a more traditional structure. It's awful but the concept is what was important to me. One day I'll share that for kicks, I've meant to for months. I wish I had Britney's vocals stripped out of the song Chaotic - there's a song that I think could really benefit a lot from that treatment. Showdown, too.

So yeah I really dig what you did there, thanks for sharing your Britney mixes, as always!

can someone list their favorite remixes? I have a few and would like more.

Mau ®

New album?

She is working with Max Martin, Fernando Garibay (amnesia) and she has asked a songwriting duo to lay out some tracks.

http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2009/07/09/678172.aspx

Britney Spears tops the North American tour scene. Brit’s 37 shows in 30 cities resulted in an average of 20,498 tickets sold per show at an average price of $99.29 for a total gross of $61.1 million.
North America’s #1 grosser – Britney – finished third worldwide – 48 shows in 33 cities at an average ticket price of $95.04 and grossing 74.6 million total for the first half of the year.

Nothing we didn't already know, but it's so exciting to see how well this show is doing - and it's only a tad over halfway complete. Everyone involved has earned this success...the buzz in the crowd from start to finish will tell ya that.

Oh, and FWIW, they added third night at Madison Square Garden and a show in San Diego to the NA leg today.

inthezone said:
New album?

She is working with Max Martin, Fernando Garibay (amnesia) and she has asked a songwriting duo to lay out some tracks.

That's what I like to hear! Why not go for it ASAP, I say. Things are going well: the tour is rocking, Circus has churned out a few hits and has sold twice as much as Blackout did, this seems like a nice positive wave that shouldn't be relinquished. (Knock on wood!) As long as she's feeling up to it, bring it on.

It's certainly possible that these new tracks could just be puffs of smoke signaling something a bit more minor (Circus re-release with 2-4 new tracks?), but hopefully things are moving along on a new album. The first half of 2010 would be perfect.

jmdajr said:

I'm gonna have to dig up a few of my favorites, hopefully I can remember which stood out from the rest of the pack. I lost the MP3s of pretty much every remix I had a while back accidentally, so I'll scan around to try to find some of my favorites.

I definitely didn't see this topic on her. Both my cousins play in the band which I found out recently and I'll be going to the August 29th show in Boston.

red shoe paul said:
I definitely didn't see this topic on her. Both my cousins play in the band which I found out recently and I'll be going to the August 29th show in Boston.

Have fun! It's a great show. Your show is only a few days before mine - I'm jazzed at level 10 already.

Toy Soldier said:
Have fun! It's a great show. Your show is only a few days before mine - I'm jazzed at level 10 already.

Yeah I'm definitely pumped for it. Not only to see her perform (I only know a handful of songs) but to see my cousins play. Which basically only affects me, haha. None of you guys care about that stuff. Any idea on how long is it? 2-3 hours?

I just wanted to come in this thread and say that I really like Britney Spears! :) I only have two Britney CDs, ...Baby One More Time and Circus, but I have always liked watching her music videos and listening to her songs on the radio. I practically like every music video she has done, except the latest one for Radar. Radar is an amazing song, but she could have done a way better music video for it. Oh well, at least the music videos for Womanizer, Circus, and If You Seek Amy this era are awesome. I also like the talk of a new album from her, and to hear that Max Martin is going to contribute makes it even cooler.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
inthezone said:
New album?

swoon.png

red shoe paul said:
Yeah I'm definitely pumped for it. Not only to see her perform (I only know a handful of songs) but to see my cousins play. Which basically only affects me, haha. None of you guys care about that stuff. Any idea on how long is it? 2-3 hours?

Yeah, Britney's on stage for a little over two hours IIRC. There will also be three opening acts before that (Ciara, Kristinia DeBarge, and One Call).

I hope you have a great time, even not knowing much of her catalog. It's mostly filled with recent tunes, quite a few non-singles, so there may be some stuff you've never heard. It'd be great if you dig it!

lastinline said:
I just wanted to come in this thread and say that I really like Britney Spears! :) I only have two Britney CDs, ...Baby One More Time and Circus, but I have always liked watching her music videos and listening to her songs on the radio. I practically like every music video she has done, except the latest one for Radar. Radar is an amazing song, but she could have done a way better music video for it. Oh well, at least the music videos for Womanizer, Circus, and If You Seek Amy this era are awesome. I also like the talk of a new album from her, and to hear that Max Martin is going to contribute makes it even cooler.

The more fans on GAF, the better! I'm glad you decided to pop in, hope you'll participate in the thread with the rest of us more often.

It's great that you love Circus and BOMT. Check out the rest of her albums at some point, you won't be sorry. You already know the singles, and the albums rarely stray far in quality from their singles.

The Max Martin news is definitely exciting. There has been a lot of smoke the past couple of days about some 'The Singles Collection' release later this year, though as far as I can tell it's not confirmed. Greatest Hits albums usually feature a few new tracks, so perhaps that's what these new sessions are for.

I'd much prefer this stuff to be the start of another album, but the fact that Max Martin and Britney are working on SOMETHING is enough to excite me at this point. I don't need any more details to know it'll be worthwhile.

Mau ®

I wonder how much does the band actually play in the shows. Didnt seem like much at all when I went there and they're all hidden for the most part, which is better for these kinds of shows I guess.

There was a recent interview with the soundboard guy for a mixing web page. when asked "Do you do anything special to britney's vocals" he said "Nope. We just reproduce it" looking all sorts of uncomfortable lol.

I hope the new stuff is not for a GH #2. Feels a bit to soon for such a thing. Hopefully its a new album.

Nakazato

Cruzader said:
She's trying Lady Gaga's look and fails miserably.

if you're referring to the W photoshoot above, it actually is from 2003 - long before Lady GaGa hit the market. (so says my girlfriend who is an avid Britney fan)

Nakazato

jmdajr said:

my gf says James Holden's remix of "breathe on me" is awesome.. as well as Felix Da Housecat's remix of "toxic".

inthezone said:
I hope the new stuff is not for a GH #2. Feels a bit to soon for such a thing. Hopefully its a new album.

Agreed. We're barely five years off of the first GH album, it seems a little soon for that Singles Collection rumor to be true.

On the other hand, she's released enough singles since My Prerogative and Do Somethin' where another GH package can definitely be justified...especially if they take a different route with it (going for a comprehensive collection of her singles alongside new stuff).

Plus, since the past couple of years have helped reboot Britney's image as an entertainer after she lost a lot of that legitimacy for a little while, it might be a prime time to relaunch her old material - so that the folks just now jumping back aboard the Britney Express can get a taste it all.

Who knows, I'm just excited to hear that she's doing her thing. Hopefully we'll get a full album, the sooner the better!

Here are two pretty cool backstage shots that popped up today.

2n187bc.jpg

qnkzyf.jpg

Above the stage before the show begins, then below the stage during the action.

Just a few more weeks...

Mau ®

The seventh studio album is shaping up. Jive has put up an industry ad requesting material submission for the project, which is set for a Spring 2010 release.

Producers so far are: Max Martin, Jim Beanz, Russ Castella (Womanizer), Danja, Fernando Garibay.

Thanks to twitter, some of these producers have mentioned that the new tracks are dark, dirty and dance.

Sounds like it will be more Blackout-ish.

Another Blackout-esque album would be OK with me. I liked Circus taking things back to square one, that's something that was necessary and welcome, but I'd love another hot dripping dance record. Just boost Britney a bit more in the mix this time around, dudes.

As an aside, I'd love to see Dr. Luke there, he was one of the real stars of the show last time around. I also hope Max Martin had something special up his sleeve for his new Britney song(s)...he's kind of on an underwhelming streak as of late (across the board, not just IUSA).

Also, Radar, not doing so well. Sales are awful for a Britney single, understandably so considering it's age I guess, but airplay is very slow to build steam too. It may not crack the Hot 100.

Mau ®

So the VMA nomineess list is out and Britney has seven noms while GaGa and Beyonce lead with 8.

Womanizer is up for vid of the year as well as best pop video. The rest of her noms come from the "Circus" video.

Soo... Womanizer is not up for best female video but is for video of the year and best pop video... WTF
hint: she aint winning shit :(

Pokerface is up for best female video instead of best male video... 2x WTF

Mau ®

oh and she's back to blonde...

funny I dreamt yesterday she was blonde again... guess my britney dreams do come true. Lets hope my next dream involves a new album :D

Very cool to see Womanizer and Circus get some recognition, each were awesome videos. Circus was especially among Britney's all-time best.

inthezone said:
oh and she's back to blonde...

funny I dreamt yesterday she was blonde again... guess my britney dreams do come true. Lets hope my next dream involves a new album :D

Those photos of her in the black dress were craaaazy hot.

In other good news, have you seen the fuss over that new Teen Choice Awards commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHExNaczy9s

BritneySpears.com said:
Breaking News: Britney will be performing at the Teen Choice Awards on Monday!

Tune in to Fox at 8/7C to see Britney's performance and if she wins the three awards she's nominated for.

<3

Mau ®

Ha! I knew you were gonna post a "no performance is gonna take place" post. I didnt know it wasnt happening, I just had a hunch.

I was somewhat excited for TCA performance but at the same time its like... teen choice awards, seriously? She still has a lot teen fans (there was a high concentration of them in my show) but the grand majority are young adults (18-25) whi have grown with her over the years.

She looks great in those pics, blonde britney means bussiness as you know. I think she should do some cardio, looks like she has quite a bit of muscle under some body fat.

inthezone said:
Ha! I knew you were gonna post a "no performance is gonna take place" post. I didnt know it wasnt happening, I just had a hunch.

:lol Exciting Britney news is often quick to be swatted out of the air, so it's expected I guess!

I was somewhat excited for TCA performance but at the same time its like... teen choice awards, seriously? She still has a lot teen fans (there was a high concentration of them in my show) but the grand majority are young adults (18-25) whi have grown with her over the years.

True, young adults make up the majority of her audience, but I do like Britney maintaining a presence at shows like Teen Choice.

The TCAs are supposed to have two fingers on the pulse of pop, and I'd love for Britney to always keep at least one foot in that realm, if not both. There are more appropriate venues for her to make a big performance, considering her fanbase has already crossed over out of this type of show (as you said), but I love that they're giving her an award to celebrate her iconic status over the past decade.

looks like she has quite a bit of muscle under some body fat.

She's shown better definition at times, yeah. Still 2009 Britney looks like she's got more muscle than she's had in a while (ever?).

Britney has always had a frame naturally built to carry muscle (broad shoulders, brawny legs and arms, etc), it's more prominent these days. Still very feminine and curvy, she's blessed with a great bod.

I know you're not a huge fan of her pre-ITZ stuff, but have you heard that early demo of When I Found You (2001 bonus track) that's making the rounds? Sounds like it was a very early take as she just sang it straight through.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/637361701d22a108/

Comparing it to the original, it's cool to hear her vocals without all of the echoes and double tracking and overdubs. I love it. <3 The final mix is a cool track, I don't mind the slick studio whizbang, but I get a kick out of these opportunities to hear that signature voice clearly.

Mau ®

That was nice. I do like her old stuff, the Britney album is my least favorite record of hers (never cared to listen BaBy so...). I appreciate some songs off that record and the outtakes were quite experimental (I run away was electronica, autumn goodbye had a choir). In fact when I listen to it now I like it quite a bit, its just that I was hugely mislead by "Slave 4 U" which was NOT representative of the overall record's sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom