• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Champions League Thread that money can't buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunchbox

Banned
Messi said:
Supported them for the last 10 or so years. Not that I have to explain why I support any team.

Eh, I am over this. You win, united are great. All hail man united.

hope you put 6 pass ARSE-anal ;)

Google

Messi said:
Eh, I am over this. You win, united are great. All hail man united.

I have absolutely no love for Manchester United.

I just detest people who feel the need to support a team who are over a thousand miles away from where they live, speak a completely different language, and have fuck all to do with them.

Support your local team, or at least a team in your own country.

kikanny

Hey Messi and LunchBox. You guys should cool down. Although, I'm a Barca fan, I agree Man U is a great team. I just don't like them. But there's no need to fight! We can all be happy that we have great teams that makes us proud about soccer/football.

Lunchbox

Banned
kikanny said:
Hey Messi and LunchBox. You guys should cool down. Although, I'm a Barca fan, I agree Man U is a great team. I just don't like them. But there's no need to fight! We can all be happy that we have great teams that makes us proud about soccer/football.

who says we're fighting? :lol

this is BROmance

Google

Messi said:
Why do you care why anybody supports a team?

Because you're a classless Barcelona supporter, as evidenced in this thread.

It was quite fucking obvious. I'd argue that a real fan wouldn't give a fuck what a Manchester United supporter thought about their team.

Messi

I think alot of that rests on wether or not rooney is fit. if not I can see it being quite a tough match for both sides.

Should be good though. Bayern put up a much bigger fight than I thought they would.

kikanny

Messi said:
I think alot of that rests on wether or not rooney is fit. if not I can see it being quite a tough match for both sides.

Should be good though. Bayern put up a much bigger fight than I thought they would.
Also Robben should be fit. Hope Bayern pulls a suprise! And on to tomorrow, all I'm hoping is for 1-1 at Emirates. We can take care of the rest in Camp Nou! :D

Messi

Also schweinsteiger is back from suspension. So bayern will potentially be an even better team in the second leg.

I am hoping for a 1 or 2 goal win in emirates, but a draw would suffice. Now that fab might be out, we have an even better chance of winning tomorrow. I am quite excited for this game. Might be the game of the tournament.

Bayern has probably the most fucked up advantage you can ever get - 2:1 on home side. Being guest on Old Trafford is no easy feat and Sir Alex Ferguson knows perfectly well how much CL matters to the club.

The victory Bayern achieved today will, no doubt, help them, but it's a very shallow victory (or, to be more precise - score) that backfired many times on the winning team, as it selected wrong tactics for the following match and got outsmarted by the losers of the first game.

Messi

Maybe so, you are still the strong favs to go through. But anything can happen. I dont think man united expected to have to defend as much as they did tonight.

But no doubt, going to old trafford is a mental thing. It could screw up bayern.

Ataturk

Well deserved victory for Bayern, they missed so many chances, it could've been more. Van Bommel was class, controlling things from the centre. Ribery showed glimpses, but not much end-product.

They're in with a shout for this, especially with Robbery back hopefully (and maybe Rooney out).

cashman

Banned
Google said:
I have absolutely no love for Manchester United.

I just detest people who feel the need to support a team who are over a thousand miles away from where they live, speak a completely different language, and have fuck all to do with them.

Support your local team, or at least a team in your own country.
Yeah, not gonna support FC Dallas.

DCharlie

Banned
didn't see the United game, but i can't see United not scoring at least a couple at home.

It'll be interesting to see what Bayern's game plan is - they have to go and try and stick the ball in Uniteds net, playing for 0-0 will backfire horribly.

Every second is a minute right now, i cant wait to go the fucking game

I hope henry gets substituted on, so we can give rip roar of an ovation, haven't seen the legend since the Highbury Finale

_41646366_henryb203.jpg

Blablurn

DCharlie said:
didn't see the United game, but i can't see United not scoring at least a couple at home.

It'll be interesting to see what Bayern's game plan is - they have to go and try and stick the ball in Uniteds net, playing for 0-0 will backfire horribly.

we're not playing for a 0:0.

our plan:

Detail327.jpg

I'll watch Arsenal - Barcelona. I wish Arsenal could win, but I don't think they will able to.

Both teams love to control the ball, but Barcelona is the team that not only love control it, they love getting it, Barça can preassure a lot a team ball movement, until they lost it, I suposse Arsenal could try playing at counterattack and leave the ball to the barcelona, but that's a mistake as well.

Iniesta absence is a great thing, Barça will be more weak in the middle area thanks to it, but if Cesc isn't playing either...

I think the worst problem for Arsenal is the duel Messi vs Clichy, Messi is gonna destroy Clichy is so many ways he couldn't believe....

Blackhead

Redarse
How to beat Barcelona – three managers reveal their methods
Barcelona may be Champions League holders, but they are not unbeatable. Here Arsenal are told how to win against them

Kurban Berdyev
Rubin Kazan
Beat Barcelona 2-1 on 20 October 2009

"I studied all Barcelona's games in the Spanish championship. The game against Valencia [a 0-0 draw] was the most helpful to understand them. I noticed that Xavi and Andrés Iniesta – key players in the team – almost never drop back to their own penalty box. This style of play in the midfield creates free space for shots from the middle range. Our midfielders were told to shoot on sight. It's also good to have a player in this area who constantly tries to hold the build-up of Barcelona's attack in the centre of the midfield. It was Alejandro Domínguez who was playing this role, always dropping from the forward's position to confront Yaya Touré. And Domínguez did a great job. I don't think we could have beaten Barça without him. Barcelona like to use the whole pitch. Their full-backs, Dani Alves and Eric Abidal, tend to play wide and leave some space in the centre. We were ready to organise our counter-attack through that area, so we waited for the right opportunity. That's how the second goal came in

Quique Sánchez Flores
Atlético Madrid
Beat Barcelona 2-1 on 14 February 2010

"We had to try to keep our shape short and narrow to make it hard for Barcelona to find players between the lines, which is what they do so well and what most causes you trouble. We had to ensure there were not gaps there for them to exploit, in among us. We did that very well, we were focused and very intense, very effective. It's genuinely hard to minimise Barcelona's qualities because they are such a great team. But we did so and we even had moments where we were able to play some quite nice football although in the second half we lost control of the ball a bit, and in truth that wasn't the key to our approach. When we got the ball we were reasonably direct. Stopping Barcelona is really hard – they have good players and they are neat with the ball, so we were very pleased with what we were doing. José Reyes played very well, running at them constantly. The key though was to get it right collectively and deny them any room."

Manolo Jiménez
Sevilla (until 24 March)
Beat Barcelona 2-1 on 5 January 2010

"The key idea we had was to pile the pressure on their defenders and not allow them to bring the ball out of the back. We wanted to make sure that they didn't get the ball to their playmakers – we tried to stop him receiving and playing. We played with great intensity and really went for them. We were close together in the middle but quick to get the ball wide when we attacked. You can never relax against Barcelona because they are the best side in the world. We showed courage, competitiveness and quality. You have to work very hard and not give up a single ball for lost. We conceded one goal because of a lapse of concentration but we were able to overcome that fortunately."

faberpach

I can't understand how Manchester united fans haven't learned from last year final...
Hope that if we arrive to the final (it's going to be tough Arsenal and intern will be dificult rivals) is against united again so we have a placid final again.

Tonight barcelona will do everything in order to get a good result hope we can win.

Boozeroony

I suppose Bayern will lean back a bit, hopefully creating some room for counters with Robbery. I bet Bayern will at least score once at OT.

Hyphen

Relaxed Muscle said:
I'll watch Arsenal - Barcelona. I wish Arsenal could win, but I don't think they will able to.

Both teams love to control the ball, but Barcelona is the team that not only love control it, they love getting it, Barça can preassure a lot a team ball movement, until they lost it, I suposse Arsenal could try playing at counterattack and leave the ball to the barcelona, but that's a mistake as well.

Iniesta absence is a great thing, Barça will be more weak in the middle area thanks to it, but if Cesc isn't playing either...

I think the worst problem for Arsenal is the duel Messi vs Clichy, Messi is gonna destroy Clichy is so many ways he couldn't believe....

It's interesting how a lot of talk is about how Arsenal will cope with Messi, Henry etc. Yet there's hardly any mention about Arshavin against Alves or Nasri (or Walcott) facing up to Maxwell. Barcelona fans (and supporters) seem confident about their defence.

Menus Renaissance said:
Arsenal v CSKA Moskow in the Semi's. You read it here first

Wouldn't surprise me - Football's a funny ol' game.

Hyphen said:
It's interesting how a lot of talk is about how Arsenal will cope with Messi, Henry etc. Yet there's hardly any mention about Arshavin against Alves or Nasri (or Walcott) facing up to Maxwell. Barcelona fans (and supporters) seem confident about their defence.

Alves is damn fast and even if he's best attacking than defending, he is still a good defense, it's more problematic for the Barça in the attack aspect, Alves probably should holp himself and not trying going up to the attack too much, and Alves adds a lot to the ofensive aspect of the Barcelona.

And yeah Maxwell is weak, but the damage Messi can do compared to Nasri or Walcott, is not even in the same league, Messi can decide this match himself in a couple of plays.

Is the best player of the world and right now, he is in excellent shape.

And Barça defense is not that good, but if you see how many goal they received in the spanish league you should see why people is confident, is not about having good defense, is about how the whole team pressures the rival team, is a teamwork thing more than excellent defense, Barça fights for the posession of the balls in every inch of the field.

Is not hard seeing Iniesta and Xavi the brains of the team recovering balls in defense.I'd say Arsenal can win the match, but they better pull a flawless match.I wish you luck, seriously, I don't want Barça to win the champions league in Bernabeu....

Charred Greyface said:
How to beat Barcelona – three managers reveal their methods
Barcelona may be Champions League holders, but they are not unbeatable. Here Arsenal are told how to win against them

Quique Sanchez Flores did an amazing job against Barcelona, Atletico de Madrid, was one of the teams that truly demolished Barça football.

Also, it was the only team in the spanish league that won against Barcelona.

And good news, Cesc is gonna play the match...

Reno7728

Arsenal: Almunia, Clichy, Vermaelen, Gallas, Sagna, Diaby, Song, Fabregas, Arshavin, Bendtner, Nasri.
Barcelona: Valdes, Maxwell, Puyol, Pique, Alves, Xavi, Busquets, Keita, Pedro, Ibrahimovic, Messi.

So arsenal have a probably not 100% Fabregas, I'm betting on 1 - 1

Ducarmel

Looking for Barca to lose not because I don't like them or anything but looking forward to seeing some man tears from my cousin because he loves Messi.

Wes

venison crêpe
Good thing they swap ends at 45 minutes otherwise one half of the pitch is going to be all cut up by the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom