• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Destiny Alpha Withdrawal Thread

Two Words

I really hope there is a higher level PvP mode where weapon and gear actually carry their stats. Maybe multiply everybody's health by x5 to make it less instant-killy too. Let it not contribute to your Crucibles rank and just be a sort of screw-around PvP.

man could u have imagined if this game come out this month..... the thirst would be so real. I could see the game selling 15 million in a half a month

Tekku

So are classes specialized in different weapons? I read some time ago that Titans make good use of LMG's and launchers. I don't really get this part since everyone can use everything.

Is it like Guild Wars 2 where classes will unlock unique abilites for each weapon type?

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Hunter > Warlock > Titan

110% true.

Yo guys, I spotted an error in the Hunter class banner I made for the beta OT. Don't worry, I've fixed it;

RW3d6cr.png

Warlock 4ever!

So are classes specialized in different weapons? I read some time ago that Titans make good use of LMG's and launchers. I don't really get this part since everyone can use everything.

Is it like Guild Wars 2 where classes will unlock unique abilites for each weapon type?

Every class can use every weapon. The only difference is that each class has different foci, each with a different super ability, different type of double jump ability, and different types of upgrades for each class. Hunters are faster but squishy, Titans are slower but more durable, Warlocks regen health faster than the others 2.

njd_online

Banned
Hello,

NeilJD on Bungie.net and one of the admins. Just been catching up on what I've missed as I've been away this weekend and HOLY CHRIST what a weekend to miss!

A bit over the top and mental but I'm glad it's all sorted and we're on track for the beta as a team!

Tekku

Every class can use every weapon. The only difference is that each class has different foci, each with a different super ability, different type of double jump ability, and different types of upgrades for each class. Hunters are faster but squishy, Titans are slower but more durable, Warlocks regen health faster than the others 2.

Ok, so there won't be upgrade paths that grants class bonuses to specific weapons? I kinda wished they would make some weapons more usable to certain classes. Like snipers for Hunters and LMG's for Titans.

Anyone have any experience with playing destiny on their Vita? Been researching all day on getting a Vita, PS TV, or a capture card (to my laptop) to do remote play from my bedroom.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Golden gun or light saber knife? Decisions, decisions.
I say who cares about guns and knives when you've got SPACE MAGIC!?

6a3ad37aca6510649c5597ef39ec63ba.jpg

Serious mode: I think the various supers that we haven't been able to try yet will be very interesting to see. Titan has the shield, Hunter has Arc Blade and Warlock has Blink, is that right? Will we get to see the new Supers in the beta, or will the beta have the same level cap as the alpha?

Tekku

The problem with it is that it's hard to gauge the distance. Sometimes I'll overshoot enemies and sometimes I'll undershoot. Wish there was some kind of blast zone indicator for it. But I'm going Titan as my main anyway because it seems to be the least popular.

Same here. Female Exo Titan it is. I don't expect many people to play that combo so I'm gonna be somewhat of a space hipster.

I love the risk/reward playstyle that the class encourages. Titans trigger health regen and reduced ability cooldowns when they land powerful melee attacks and things like that. It's also awesome that you punch enemies with your firsts, doing so much damage that they vanish into thin air. :)

I also think Titans will become very valuable later on in the game when they unlock the shield abilities that allies can hide behind.

Two Words

So is it official that there are only 3 classes? I was really hoping for maybe 6.

Hunter
Titan
Warlock
Healer
Summoner
Rogue/Stealth

Karl Hawk

Banned

Serious mode: I think the various supers that we haven't been able to try yet will be very interesting to see. Titan has the shield, Hunter has Arc Blade and Warlock has Blink, is that right? Will we get to see the new Supers in the beta, or will the beta have the same level cap as the alpha?

As far as I remember, Blink isn't a super, it's a jump ability that you upgrade on the jump ability skill tree. It's the last in that skill tree, though.

I think the super called Radiance(?) is the second one of the super abilities for Warlock. Supposedly, it's used to buff your teammates abilities.

You're right about everything except Warlock. Warlock's Blink is a jump upgrade. Warlock's other super is a buff, which I think I'm going to end up running instead of nova bomb, as long as the duration isn't stupid, like 10 seconds or something.

Two Words

Just the three. Remember this isn't a "holy trinity" kind of game. Pretty much everyone is DPS.

I'm not really looking for it to meet the typical MMO classes. Since it is a coop game, I wish they had classes that encouraged better coop play though. Looking at how Warframe handles classes makes Destiny look a bit anemic in that regard. Hopefully they add new classes throughout the game's/franchises' lifespan.

X-Frame

Can someone clarify the Titan's shield?

Watching this 30-second Titan Class Trailer @ 26 seconds you see the Titan drop down from a jump and then throw up what looks like a large all-encompassing defensive shield.

But when you read though the Titan's upgrade skills HERE the Juggernaut upgrade is the only reference to a shield and it makes it seem like it's a shield only when or after sprinting.

Have I missed something? Maybe the trailer footage is from a newer build where the Titan gets additional abilities, or maybe it's his other subclass?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's most likely their Defender specialization as it's description says: "Shape Void Light into an indestructible shield to protect you and your allies from harm." Duh.

Tekku

How do you get a melee attack which electrifies and throws the enemy like that, and does it damage other enemies who get hit by said enemy?

He is using the Striker subclass with Titan which revolves around using the fists. The melee attack is called Storm First and it gives a bonus damage each time it activates. If you kill enemies with it they will vanish into thin air.

Titans <3

How do you get a melee attack which electrifies and throws the enemy like that, and does it damage other enemies who get hit by said enemy?

I didn't watch the video but Warlock's melee skill is called Energy Drain and if it kills an enemy, they disintegrate into blue particles. That melee skill is on a fairly short cooldown.

Edit: Beaten, and what Tekku said too^

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
As far as I remember, Blink isn't a super, it's a jump ability that you upgrade on the jump ability skill tree. It's the last in that skill tree, though.

I think the super called Radiance(?) is the second one of the super abilities for Warlock. Supposedly, it's used to buff your teammates abilities.

You're right about everything except Warlock. Warlock's Blink is a jump upgrade. Warlock's other super is a buff, which I think I'm going to end up running instead of nova bomb, as long as the duration isn't stupid, like 10 seconds or something.
Whoops, you guys are right. Looked it up, and as far as I can see, this is what we know of right now:

Titan
Fist of Havoc ( Hulk smash )
Shield ( Protect allies and self )

Hunter
Golden Gun ( OSK Hand Cannon )
Arc Blade ( OHK wide area melee )

Warlock
Nova Bomb ( AOE OHK Void projectile )
Radiance ( Homing Solar projectile barrage + revive and buff allies and self )
Solar Flare ( Solar grenade with continuous AOE damage )

yes but the knife will be fused with space magic.

A space magic knife.

Destiny Beta | OT | SPACE MAGIC ( from the Moon ).

Whoops, you guys are right. Looked it up, and as far as I can see, this is what we know of right now:

Titan

Hunter

Warlock

Huh, I didn't know that Radiance also had a damaging part to it. Makes me lean toward that even more.

Tekku

Titan

Hunter

Warlock

Any footage of Radiance? It's the one ability that makes me interested in Warlocks.

Radiance seems bad in PvP if it's mainly just a revive. It assumes you're going to die. I don't die.

Err...it's not mainly a revive. That would be a stupid main function for a super since you can revive teammates regularly. The main point is the buff, which we don't know the function of. For all we know, it could be 100% increased damage for 30 seconds. How would it be in PvP then?

I know it won't be as ridiculous as 100% increased damage.

Ok, so there won't be upgrade paths that grants class bonuses to specific weapons? I kinda wished they would make some weapons more usable to certain classes. Like snipers for Hunters and LMG's for Titans.

From what I've seen in the Hunter's upgrade screen in the alpha, no. The upgrades are for your jump, melee, super, and class stats (toughness, speed, health). It's possible that some legendary guns may have bonuses that help out a specific class, but nothing has been confirmed. The stats/bonuses that Uncommon and above guns/armor have are non-class specific.

Such bonuses include:

+Strength (reduce melee cooldown)
+Intelligence (reduce super cooldown)
+Discipline (reduce grenade cooldown)
throw grenades farther
carry more ammo for a certain gun type (auto rifle, pulse rifle, etc)
reload certain gun types faster

These are the ones I've encountered in the alpha. There might be more that Bungie hasn't shown us yet.

From what I've seen in the Hunter's upgrade screen in the alpha, no. The upgrades are for your jump, melee, super, and class stats (toughness, speed, health). It's possible that some legendary guns may have bonuses that help out a specific class, but nothing has been confirmed. The stats/bonuses that Uncommon and above guns/armor have are non-class specific.

I'm glad for this. I'd hate to fall completely in love with a weapon that my chosen class was gimped for.

Top Bottom