• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Destiny Alpha Withdrawal Thread

Kyoufu

It's decided, I'm going to play a melee Titan first.

Hopefully the melee build will be viable on Legend difficulty against shielded elites.

Also, melee against Sepiks Prime and Devil Walker will be tricky, but I guess that's what guns are for.

Guys I can't contain the hype!

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
oh shit

I haven't thought of a title.
LET'S GET SOME BRAINSTORMING UP IN 'ERE!

Destiny Beta | OT | 'That wizard came from the moon.'
Destiny Beta | OT | 'You see something floating in the air, you have to kill it!'
Destiny Beta | OT | Wizard, something, something, Moon.
Destiny Beta | OT | Best dancing game of 2014
Destiny Beta | OT | There's a joke about wizards here somewhere.
Destiny Beta | OT | SPACE MAGIC
Destiny Beta | OT | SPACE MAGIC ( from the Moon ).
Destiny Beta | OT | Guys, I'm running out of Moon jokes.
Destiny Beta | OT | And wizard jokes as well.

No wait! Just thought of the perfect one.
Okay_guy.png

Maligna

Banned
Anyone have any experience with playing destiny on their Vita? Been researching all day on getting a Vita, PS TV, or a capture card (to my laptop) to do remote play from my bedroom.

Yes, I played Destiny alpha through remote play 300 miles away from my PS4 using my Vita. Lag free and extremely playable.

The control set up is perfect. At first I was confused because I was touching the back screen and there were no buttons mapped to it like other games. (Which made me happy, because touching the back screen by accident while playing WILL happen) Found out the front screen has some buttons mapped to it, but I still couldn't figure out how to run. Eventually I figured out that in order to run, you hold the left stick forward and tap down on the D-pad (which is right where the tip of your thumb will be when using the left analogue).

You may be thinking, if down on the d-pad is for run toggling, how do I use my sitting emote? Well, all the emotes are tied to left on the d-pad and then a face button. So sitting would be, hold left on D-pad, then hit X.

Personally I think it's an ingenious control scheme.

Destiny Beta | OT | 'You see something floating in the air, you have to kill it!'
All of those are inferior to the one I chose.

Go to your room, Tiemen.

Two Words

I want them to do some more creative things. For example, perhaps the Titan should have a movement option that allows him to only do a regular Halo style jump, but give him a second option to temporarily dig underground as a dodge option. See a huge attack coming your way? Just dodge underground. I don't want PvP balance to limit their options for things like this.

Yes, I played Destiny beta through remote play 300 miles away from my PS4 using my Vita. Lag free and extremely playable.

The control set up is perfect. At first I was confused because I was touching the back screen and there were no buttons mapped to it like other games. (Which made me happy, because touching the back screen by accident while playing WILL happen) Found out the front screen has some buttons mapped to it, but I still couldn't figure out how to run. Eventually I figured out that in order to run, you hold the left stick forward and tap down on the D-pad (which is right where the tip of your thumb will be when using the left analogue).

You may be thinking, if down on the d-pad is for run toggling, how do I use my sitting emote? Well, all the emotes are tied to left on the d-pad and then a face button. So sitting would be, hold left on D-pad, then hit X.

What space magic is this?!

Handy Fake

Destiny Beta | OT | A little bit of awesome. Like Peter Dinklage.

Ok, so there won't be upgrade paths that grants class bonuses to specific weapons? I kinda wished they would make some weapons more usable to certain classes. Like snipers for Hunters and LMG's for Titans.

I dont really agree with that. With all the loot drops I would be able to use a sweet sniper rifle that dropped if I were say a warlock or titan. I like that any class can use any weapon.

Also, how about Destiny Beta |OT| Dinkle, dinkle little star...

broony

Anyone have any experience with playing destiny on their Vita? Been researching all day on getting a Vita, PS TV, or a capture card (to my laptop) to do remote play from my bedroom.
I played a little remote play. Just locally over wifi but it was absolutely fine to play. Looks really crisp and the control scheme is well thought out.

Like someone said the use the front touch screen for L1, R1 and the touch pad which works really well. Was able to grenade, melee and super easily without fumbling about.

Will be using it a lot when it launches, when my lass gets sick of me running off to my man cave every night once this kids are in bed, I'll sit with her downstairs and play on my vita, pretending I'm paying attention while she watches big brother, next top model or whatever else she chooses to melt her brain with.

Yes, I played Destiny beta through remote play 300 miles away from my PS4 using my Vita. Lag free and extremely playable.

Thanks for your insight! You are one of the first GAF members I know who played using your Vita.

Is setting up remote play that far away from your PS4 easy? I am assuming you need to prep before you expect to do such a thing.

Did you do PVP at all? If so, were you ever dominating the PVP scene? My biggest fear with doing remote play is not being able to be competitive in PVP.

Also is it true that there are no possible way to communicate with other plays through remote play?

Lastly, how was the screen size and clarity for you?

[Would you suggest I buy it as an addition to not only Destiny but to other PS4 games I may want to play away from home or in my bedroom]

I played a little remote play. Just locally over wifi but it was absolutely fine to play. Looks really crisp and the control scheme is well thought out.

Like someone said the use the front touch screen for L1, R1 and the touch pad which works really well. Was able to grenade, melee and super easily without fumbling about.

Will be using it a lot when it launches, when my lass gets sick of me running off to my man cave every night once this kids are in bed, I'll sit with her downstairs and play on my vita, pretending I'm paying attention while she watches big brother, next top model or whatever else she chooses to melt her brain with.

What are the biggest cons compared to playing it on your TV? I am in a similar situation, I would use it when my SO just wants to utilize the tv or have me in the bedroom relaxing with her instead of being in the living room. For me do you think the Vita is worth the price.

Also it seems as if remote play would be great if you went all digital this generation. What are your thoughts on going all digital?

What's the point of sealing a subclass?

As far as I know, we don't know yet. But it better be a huge fucking boost when using the subclass or it just won't be worth it to make your choices permanent, which is something Bungie has talked a lot about (especially in their Gameinformer multi-page article months ago).

Kyoufu

As far as I know, we don't know yet. But it better be a huge fucking boost when using the subclass or it just won't be worth it to make your choices permanent, which is something Bungie has talked a lot about (especially in their Gameinformer multi-page article months ago).

Permanent as in you can't respec outside of the Tower?

What's the point of sealing a subclass?

The info Bungie has given out regarding this is a little vague, but apparently, you can seal a subclass to receive a stat boost. A duplicate of the same subclass is then unlocked, which levels up faster than the original. I guess you can mix and match different foci, or stack up on a particular one to make it more effective. I'm trying to find the exact article where Bungie talks about this.

Permanent as in you can't respec outside of the Tower?

The wording suggests that once you've filled in "Illumination" on the subclass skill page, you will never be able to change your choices on the page ever again. So no switching grenade types, jump types, etc.

Like I said before, it better be truly worth it because (for example) I love the idea of Blink on Warlock, but I may find a situation where I want/need a different jump, and if I've "Illuminated" the subclass, I could no longer pick.

Maligna

Banned
Thanks for your insight! You are one of the first GAF members I know who played using your Vita.

Is setting up remote play that far away from your PS4 easy? I am assuming you need to prep before you expect to do such a thing.

Did you do PVP at all? If so, were you ever dominating the PVP scene? My biggest fear with doing remote play is not being able to be competitive in PVP.

Also is it true that there are no possible way to communicate with other plays through remote play?

[Would you suggest I buy it as an addition to not only Destiny but to other PS4 games I may want to play away from home or in my bedroom]

What are the biggest cons compared to playing it on your TV? I am in a similar situation, I would use it when my SO just wants to utilize the tv or have me in the bedroom relaxing with her instead of being in the living room. For me do you think the Vita is worth the price.

Also it seems as if remote play would be great if you went all digital this generation. What are your thoughts on going all digital?

Setting up remote play is fairly easy from what I remember. You only have to do it once. To get it working when you go to use it, you just have to make sure your PS4 is either ON or in SLEEP mode. Then all you need to do is hit the remote play app on your Vita. First it will search locally for your PS4 and if it doesn't find it there, then it will search over wifi. So in my case, I was going away to my in-laws place the same weekend that the alpha was running. So before leaving home I put my PS4 in sleep mode. When I got to my in-laws place (where everyone speaks french, and I generally can't follow a conversation) I went off into my own corner with my Vita, connected to their wifi, launched the remote play app and within moments I was on my PS4 and playing Destiny.

I didn't do any PVP because even though the controls are very good, they still aren't perfect. I'd say I could play to about 85% of my true skill capacity on the Vita. As good as it is, it's not a replacement for a dual shock 4. For co-op games it was perfect, and that's what I played.

The screen and resolution was beautiful. The games vistas look amazing on the OG Vita's OLED screen.

So in conclusion, I would absolutely recommend picking up a Vita with your PS4. As they say, it's the perfect companion and an excellent device in it's own right.

I can't wait to play Dragon Age III every night in bed this fall. :)

Edit: Forgot about your communication question. I don't know about that one. I have Pulse Elites, and I know you can plug them in to your Vita and they work as headphones, but I don't know if they also work as a mic. I'll have to test that some time.

broony

I played PVP when I tried remote play. It was fine, but it is not the same as sitting in front of a big screen with a DS4. The vita is a really good bit of kit, all the buttons feel good, but the thumb sticks can be a bit sensitive. You have to be a bit more delicate with them to just move them a little and not accidentally go full lock if you know what I mean. After a little while you get used to it.

With the screen being smaller it's harder to spot things quite as quickly as you do on the big screen, but playing destiny I still felt like I was competitive. The screen does look super crisp though and it is kind of cool seeing graphics so good on a handheld.

I think it will be ideal for explore mode, which is a lower intensity experience. Roaming around looking for loot and hidden areas.

I play quite a bit remotely, I played probably 50% of black flag on the vita, resogun works really well, tomb raider worked fine as well. Shooters can be harder to play because if the sticks, but destiny either compensates specifically for remote play or is just generous with auto aim in general as I could play it fine.

With ps plus I have picked up loads if free titles and I always seem to have a vita backlog. Specifically I really, really enjoyed hotline miami, Thomas was alone and tearaway.

On PS4 I have bought probably 50% digital and 50% physical. Obviously buying digital helps with remote play as you can turn on the PS4 remotely and play what you like as there is no disks to swap.

I have tried playing remotely from a friends house as well. It worked really well and I had no issues connecting. There is a page somewhere in the playstation support site that tells you which ports to open which I followed and it worked first time.

Overall I love my vita and would recommend one. I'm going to pick up a playstation TV when it launches later in the year do I can remote on the big screen and use the DS4.

hypotc

Destiny Beta |OT| 'The lair is up ahead, under that colony ship... just on the other side of all those DestinyGAF clans.'

Darksol

I generally like snipers, stealth, support, killing from a distance, element of surprise, mobility, yada yada yada...

I only tried the hunter class, but liked it a lot. Is it more in line with what I want than the other two classes?

Tekku

I dont really agree with that. With all the loot drops I would be able to use a sweet sniper rifle that dropped if I were say a warlock or titan. I like that any class can use any weapon.

Also, how about Destiny Beta |OT| Dinkle, dinkle little star...

I only meant that there could be class specific upgrade paths for weapons, to encourage more weapon variety.

MADGAME

The wait to get back in this game via the beta is killing me. I know it's going to be so much worse when the servers get shut off again and the Wait for September starts.

Edit: My very first gif, ever. Maybe with a lot of time and effort I will eventually become an amateur. Would love a dynamic theme on my PS4 of this, with the accompanying music

iblym9GxYQCGLH.gif

Edit: Fail :( Can't find a host for 6mb file

The wait to get back in this game via the beta is killing me. I know it's going to be so much worse when the servers get shut off again and the Wait for September starts.

Edit: My very first gif, ever. Maybe with a lot of time and effort I will eventually become an amateur. Would love a dynamic theme on my PS4 of this, with the accompanying music

lCsf9-1-MLMpG495xVwADPCMlUY_sshIBF1VI2dAw-BLnIEowUSi_nnIcMJbtSrgeU7hll_ZymA

Rare footage of Destiny running on a toaster.

No, seriously, grats on your first gif.

ced

Saw this on DBO. Skill calculator that shows all the focus upgrades for the three classes in the alpha. Each class will have an additional set in the full game with a different focus:

http://destiny.bungie.org/n/988

I'm confused on upgrading skills.

Do you just unlock them all eventually or do you have to make choices on certain ones, like the weapon upgrades where you choose one thing over another.

That skill calc just lets you select everything, I don't remember what it did in the alpha.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up a Sony Gold Wireless Headset for the Beta and Retail release. Co-Op is so much darn fun. Cannot wait!

Great purchase. I use them for everything now if I require a mic (skype, voice chat on pc games, etc.).

Another Gold Wireless user here; I have been using it for pretty much every PS4 game recently. First thing I'll do at Destiny launch day is download the Destiny-specific settings from the app.

Nibel

Not sure if all of you guys have done this, but here you go :)

Destiny Collector's Cards Codes

DESCRIPTION: During Gamescom 2013, Bungie gave out a bunch of cards with codes on them. You can redeem those if you go to Bungie.net, click on 'Profile' (upper-right corner after clicking on your icon) and then select 'Redeemed Codes'. I don't know how long these will be active so you better use them quick. Don't worry: you can spread these codes, they work multiple times. Apparently these cards will unlock special content in the final game, at least that's what speculated. If you know more you can reach me on Twitter @Nibellion.

Here are the codes:

Warlock: YKA-RJG-MH9
Hunter: 3DA-P4X-F6A
Titan: MVD-4N3-NKH
Rixis: TCN-HCD-TGY
Old-Russia: HDX-ALM-V4K
Hive: 473-MXR-3X9
Moon: JMR-LFN-4A3
Gjallorhorn: HC3-H44-DKC
Duke MK.44: 69P-KRM-JJA
The Tower: 69P-VCH-337
The Hive: Ogre 69R-CKD-X7L