• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Genso Suikoden V thread

Vashu

Don't worry, I'm serious about it. I just can't think of any good questions at the moment, yours are certainly better than the ones I had in mind. Or at least, worded a lot better.

I have two at the moment:

In Genso Suikoden II there was a character by the name of Richmond, he turned out to be a private investigator. Similar characters appeared in III and IV. By paying them you could learn about the pasts of all the characters, will there be another private investigator present in V?

In all the Suikoden games, Suikoden Tactics/Rhapsodia not included, there was the element of a base. In Genso Suikoden I it was a castle, in II it was a small military fort, III had a pretty big city (which was a little too big according to a lot of fans), and in IV you were settled on a giant ship. We already know we can count on a town for V, but can you tell us what size it will be, what can we expect? Are there more characters, non-stars of destiny characters?

Vashu

Himuro said:
I really liked how in II you had more and more people coming to your hq, whether they were apart of your army or not. It actually felt like progress.

Don't worry Vashu, I meant the general "you". Any person who makes a question. :p

Yeah, I got that ;)

And yeah, I liked that too. That's why I have that question in there, more people inside your castle even though they are not part of the stars at that moment.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
late to the trailer party, OMG fucking amazing excitement skyrocketing at first it was "looks good" now it's "holy shit I can't wait for this!"

Tarazet

I don't feel qualified to ask any questions. I'm sure Himuro could answer anything I could come up with. The only thing I might want to ask is why Suikoden Tactics had only 54 playable characters, rather than the 108 Stars of Destiny. It's a natural for a SRPG.

Pellham

Banned
sonarrat said:
I don't feel qualified to ask any questions. I'm sure Himuro could answer anything I could come up with. The only thing I might want to ask is why Suikoden Tactics had only 54 playable characters, rather than the 108 Stars of Destiny. It's a natural for a SRPG.

The game was called Rhapsodia in Japan, it didn't have to follow the Suikoden traditions.

I'm looking forward to this one, but... the graphics are pretty awful. The characters are okay, but the world is bland and undetailed.

Tarazet

Pellham said:
The game was called Rhapsodia in Japan, it didn't have to follow the Suikoden traditions.

Didn't have to, but it was still a freaking natural. I mean it's a tactical RPG.

Tabris

Damn, missed the questions :(

This is SO important of a question...

9. Is there a planned release date for Suikoden I and II on the PSP for North America or Europe? Also, we've wanted Suikogaiden's I and II for the longest time. Is there a chance that we might have those as features in a limited edition release of North America and European Suikoden V? Thanks!

Tarazet

Himuro said:
The system section of the site has been updated. Here are some pics of the war system. Look at that open field: it's HUGE. No info has been revealed on the major battle/war system yet, but from the latest trailer it looks like it's real time, a similar to Suikoden I and II's battle system. We gave archers again, you can charge pepole; etc.

Oh, if only they could make these war games as deep as Suiko Tactics.. (not that it was startlingly deep, but so much more sophisticated than anything in any Suikoden in the series proper.)

ethelred

sonarrat said:
Oh, if only they could make these war games as deep as Suiko Tactics.. (not that it was startlingly deep, but so much more sophisticated than anything in any Suikoden in the series proper.)

I'd prefer they make the war sections much more deep, but definitely not in the vein of Suikoden Tactics. They'd be better off looking towards Ogre Battle or Langrisser for inspiration there.

Suikoden Tactics... eh. While it may be a good game, it is definitely not what I was hoping for in the Suikoden series' first full strategy RPG.

ethelred

Himuro said:
Nothing as of yet.

Well, remember the game is called Rhapsodia in Japan. It's not a full fledged Suikoden, thus it utilizes many things that aren't Suikoden (stupid take over the world plot for example).

The game loads data from Suikoden IV and features the same setting and many of the same characters as Suikoden IV. It may be a spinoff, but it's definitely a Suikoden (the name aside).

Anyway, my point -- that it was not what a strategy RPG in the Suikoden universe should have been -- and my disappointment stand. But it could just be me.

Pellham

Banned
ethelred said:
The game loads data from Suikoden IV and features the same setting and many of the same characters as Suikoden IV. It may be a spinoff, but it's definitely a Suikoden (the name aside).

It's a Suikoden, but it's more like Suikoden Card Stories or the Suikoden Gaiden games in that it's a spinoff that doesn't have to retain any of the core Suikoden gameplay. It's a totally different kind of game.

I can understand the disappointment though. Rhapsodia was a Tactics Ogre-style SRPG. If they ever make another Suikoden SRPG, they should really consider a system that's closer to traditional war simulations (like what Suikoden V's war gameplay appears to be like).

ethelred

Pellham said:
It's a Suikoden, but it's more like Suikoden Card Stories or the Suikoden Gaiden games in that it's a spinoff that doesn't have to retain any of the core Suikoden gameplay. It's a totally different kind of game.

I can understand the disappointment though. Rhapsodia was a Tactics Ogre-style SRPG. If they ever make another Suikoden SRPG, they should really consider a system that's closer to traditional war simulations (like what Suikoden V's war gameplay appears to be like).

Yeah, I understand that. And I wasn't bothered at all by the fact that they made a Suikoden text adventure or a Suikoden card game. I can respect that it's a spinoff, thus a totally different kind of game which can follow whatever rules they want. But when I heard Suikoden strategy RPG, certain expectations were formulated in my mind -- stuff I had been wanting in just such a game ever since the second game in the series.

I love Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblems, and Final Fantasy Tactics -- but what I wanted is what you describe. I really wanted to see a game built around the war mechanics, meaning multiple character units that can be arranged into particular formations. Really, like you said, if they make another one, I'd just rather they look to, as I said, Ogre Battle, Langrisser... or the same type of mechanics they had been using (and look to continue using in Suikoden V).

Tarazet

Himuro said:
Someone at Suikosource said that the warehouses their company gets games isn't going to sell Suikoden games anymore. Basically, he said that they're not getting games like Suikoden now because they don't sell much. I called BS but I just searched gamestop.com and Suikoden V isn't listed. It's been announced for NA release, so why would they not list it? They listed it a few months ago, that's for sure.

Can anyone confirm this?

EB is stocking it so I call bullshit. Also, Suiko III and IV both sold more than 100K. They would be smarter to not stock Atlus games.

ethelred

Himuro said:
Do we have specific sale numbers for the whole series in North America?

Suikoden II has generated over 2 billion dollars! On eBay, anyway. :lol

Anyway, I'm skepical of this rumour, too.

Ain't she cute? Rionne is a knight in training, her job is to protect the prince. Since the hero is a mute character, she also is a good "voice" for the prince, who'll help develop his character. Unlike Gremio or Nanami, she looks actually likable in terms of personality.
I feel the exact opposite. Where as Gremio felt like a genuine Samwise (LotR) and Nanami was simply charming, Rionne comes off as childish like Nanami but not even remotely charming. Even worse is that she feels totally unrealistic as a protector of any sort, especially one holding the knight title. Typical anime, granted, but horrible to my own tastes none the less.

Nonetheless, despite how weak I feel the Rionne is, the rest of the cast looks pretty good, which is a relief after the mess that was Suikoden IV.

EAJAPAN

This is as good a time as any to mention that I bought my PAL Suikoden 2 for AUD $25 from a video store. It had only been hired out a few times - all by me. :D

Himuro said:
First English screens!

wtf? Shoon?

http://www.konami.com/gs/gameinfo.php?id=166&pid=1

Celebrate the 10th anniversary of Suikoden with an all-new role-playing adventure filled with mystery and suspense. In the land of Falena, a prosperous and beautiful country governed by the matriarchy and the benevolent power of the Sun Rune, civil unrest arises and the queen is forced to use the Sun Rune to quell the uprising, but at what cost? Journey as the prince in an expansive quest uncovering the mysteries surrounding the Sun Rune, the civil unrest and the dark intent of an unknown power in the greatest Suikoden saga yet!

* Longest Suikoden storyline ever with fully voiced-over cut scenes, multiple endings, storyline branches and unimaginable plot twists
* Uncover the 108 Stars of Destiny to build up and customize a home base
* Tactical Formation System allows for more than 20 strategic formations in battle
* Take 6 member parties into battle with over 60 playable characters for millions of party combinations
* Strategic map battles with hundreds of troops in huge army skirmishes
* Completely customize your characters with a new skill system, weapon enhancement system and hundreds of unique equipment items

ZdC01240635422.jpg

mEV01240635424.jpg

nyr01240635427.jpg

zIl01240635428.jpg

Go to the main site for new pics!

I want info on SV NA Limited Edition goddamit.

woah awesome! Konami is wasting no time! Game looks great can't wait to check it out

Shouta

Himuro said:
thus it utilizes many things that aren't Suikoden (stupid take over the world plot for example).

It's a take over the empire plot. That's not too far off from most Suikoden games but there's usually an ulterior motive to it that comes to the surface afterwards (usually involving a True Rune) that shifts the focus a little. However, the core of Suikoden games is still that big Imperalistic ambition.

As for Suikoden V, I hope it has some strong connections to the Island Nations because I'd LOVE to see what happened to them in the present day. At the very least, I'd like to see Lazlo or even Kyril from Tactics get hinted or even shown in the game.

Shouta

Translation doesn't seem that bad. The voice acting is pretty awful though, a step down from Suikoden IV actually. It looks like they used a lot of things they learned from Suikoden IV and applied it to V like actual cutscenes and very smooth looking animation.

Pellham

Banned
Yeah they changed some names around, but that isn't an uncommon practice in RPG localization. It happens. Blame the localizers for thinking that changing names is a good thing :p (I find it rephrensible and unjustifiable myself)

However I'd be more concerned about actual translation flaws, not name changes.

Shouta

I don't see John on the JP page but Sialeeds is valid. I'm not sure where they're getting Syaries from because the way you'd pronounce Syaries in English wouldn't match up with the Japanese pronunciation. I would've gone with Charice (I think that's how it's spelled) though because that's what i think the creators were going for.

Pellham

Banned
I think the issue may have been that they already had official english names on a Japanese site, but those were changed into what you see now in the translation.
At least that's the case with some other games that I've played, I don't know what the deal is with this game.
Whether Saiiariizu is Sialeeds or Syaries, honestly it looks about the same and could be pronounced the same. Syaries looking better because there's no stupid "ds" at the end.

Shouta

That'd be interesting. I know it happened for Valkyrie Profile's original Japanese site and one character name for that game.

Shouta

Himuro said:
It's not just that, personally when I see name changes in rpgs, often the translation is very bad as well. And the dialouge of the English version of SV thus far, has been beyond cheesy, and I think it's possible it'll be like that throughout the whole. Bad translations when there's only text? Ok. But when you have to hear the voices too? It get tiring.

The text isn't that bad at all from the movie I saw, it's the delivery and then the accompanying animation usually. It's the same problem as the first Grandia when it came over to the US for the Playstation. People called it a horrible translation but actually looking at the dialogue makes you realize it's a good translation that's marred by goofy ass Voice Acting.

Senretsu

I recently read that Michiru Yamane (composer of Symphony of the Night (PSX), Curse of darkness (PS2), Dawn of Sorrw (DS) also contributed music to Suikoden III and IV. Is this true? And is she also helping with Suikoden V?

Tabris

Wait... now that I think about it...

Killey was in prison for 3 years, and then he helped Georg assasinate the queen of Falena. Obviousely the story of V starts then. Georg then had time to travel to Scarlet Moon Empire and participate in the succession wars.

So that means...

-? Georg Prime assasinates the Queen of Falena with Killey (and maybe S5 Hero's) help.
-? Georg Prime is an Ebony Moon Knight in Grasslands
-9 Succession Wars, Georg Prime joins as 6th General
+0 Beginning of Suikoden I

So that would probabaly place the time about 10 years before Suikoden I. So I was almost correct.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Himuro said:
Expect a major update tomorrow guys, I'm totally renovating and updating the first post. Included I'll have the English version names, known formations and all of their abilities and so forth.
I shall prepare by buying box of Kleenex this evening.

Top Bottom