• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official info for God of War Ragnarok's graphics modes on PS5 & PS4

JackMcGunns

Although I agree with this, I have a friend who has a 1080p plasma and fuck me if PS5 Elden Ring didn’t look better in that tv than in my 4K HDR. Something about the colour contrast. It’s quite striking.

A flagship 1080p plasma > Avg. 4K TV. I only upgraded recently to a Sony A80J 77" from a Samsung PN64E7000

How close do we think this will be to 120 fps? Pure curiosity. I don’t have a TV for these modes.

Somewhere in the middle I hope, I wouldn't think it will get anywhere close 120fps, but with VRR enabled, the unlocked high framerate is the way to go for me.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Although I agree with this, I have a friend who has a 1080p plasma and fuck me if PS5 Elden Ring didn’t look better in that tv than in my 4K HDR. Something about the colour contrast. It’s quite striking.
nah old SDR TVs are weak sauce get on dat new HDR hotness. just don't buy a shit one of course lol

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't understand comments like this, you need to be first to shit up the thread?
Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Kinda odd they don't offer a 1080p mode for PS5, I bet there's a fairly sizable amount of people still gaming on their 1080P sets.

Those people will get the benefit of 4K (reconstructed as it may be) downscaled to 1080p, i.e. they will get a very nice supersampled image.

John Wick

Graphics mode at 40fps. This game is gonna rock. The reviews are gonna bring some salt........
But don't bet on a few sites giving low reviews for the clicks and controversy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why are some ofd you talking about 120fps? The 40Hz mode is only using a 120Hz container, you still only get 40fps...
This is the 40Hz below.

Quality
2160p 30 Hz
1800p-2160p 40 Hz (120 Hz output)
1800p-2160p unlocked (120 Hz w/ VRR)

This is the 120hz in performance mode.

Performance
1440p-2160p 60 Hz
1440p unlocked (120 Hz)
1440p unlocked (120 Hz w/ VRR)

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Who says the game is unlocked 60fps mode is going to be 120fps? Again, they use a 120Hz container for VRR to work properly, but it's not automatically 120fps in game. could be 60-70fps.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Sure. It could be 80 or 120. It’s not 40, that’s for sure.
Ahh.. I See, my initial post is confusing. I meant in quality mode ist 40fps, in a 120hz container, and performance mode in a 120Hz container is 60-???fps.

I was just confused why people where like "yeah ill go with 120fps"...

tommib

Ahh.. I See, my initial post is confusing. I meant in quality mode ist 40fps, in a 120hz container, and performance mode in a 120Hz container is 60-???fps.

They’re dropping the resolution to a fixed 1440p in HFR performance mode with unlocked fps and VRR. We have to wait and see how that performs. I’m thinking high 80s.

kyliethicc

notes from the df article on PS5 modes

on average the performance mode is ~ 1800p locked 60 fps

"Quality mode renders at a full native 4K while performance mode instead uses dynamic resolution scaling ranging from 1440p up to 2160p. On average, pixel counts reveal that it spends most of its time around 1872p. What's new this time, however, is the inclusion of TAA with upsampling. This TAAU solution helps even lower pixel counts appear suitably 4K and as a result, image quality is greatly increased over the prior game. The two modes look very, very close."

or can unlock and get 1440p at ~ 80-90 fps average

"The high frame-rate mode basically removes the 60fps cap and bottoms out the resolution at 1440p, allowing the frame-rate to reach for 120 frames per second instead. The reality, however, is that we're mostly looking at a performance between 80 to 90 frames per second in most scenarios."

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

tommib

"Quality mode renders at a full native 4K while performance mode instead uses dynamic resolution scaling ranging from 1440p up to 2160p. On average, pixel counts reveal that it spends most of its time around 1872p. What's new this time, however, is the inclusion of TAA with upsampling. This TAAU solution helps even lower pixel counts appear suitably 4K and as a result, image quality is greatly increased over the prior game. The two modes look very, very close."

"The high frame-rate mode basically removes the 60fps cap and bottoms out the resolution at 1440p, allowing the frame-rate to reach for 120 frames per second instead. The reality, however, is that we're mostly looking at a performance between 80 to 90 frames per second in most scenarios."
sankt-Antonio sankt-Antonio

This is the 40Hz below.

Quality
2160p 30 Hz
1800p-2160p 40 Hz (120 Hz output)
1800p-2160p unlocked (120 Hz w/ VRR)

This is the 120hz in performance mode.

Performance
1440p-2160p 60 Hz
1440p unlocked (120 Hz)
1440p unlocked (120 Hz w/ VRR)
i realize now the vrr modes probably remove v sync correct?

quality mode can also be unlocked with vrr (i assume it will be mostly 45-55 like other quality modes)

nx gamer mentioned its more 90-100 not that its a radical diff from df

rolandss

If you do upgrade, go OLED for the closest thing to plasma.
I’ve been mulling on upgrading for a long time and will eventually get an OLED or whatever rolls around next, like micro LED.

I did try playing PS5 and watching movies on my mate’s A80J Sony OLED a few months ago at a night at his house. We played a bunch of games and watched The Last Duel on 4K Bluray. While it was a great and definitely looked better overall, I didn’t walk out of his house thinking “that’s so much better than what I’ve already got I need to buy one”. It’s not like the jump from SD CRT to HD and 1080p sets in the PS3 era. It’s definitely an upgrade but kinda like getting the same car again with leather seats. Plasma still looks great to me, and I also think it handles motion better than any current tech.

Top Bottom