• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB Thread - 2006 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuroyume

Banned
Matrix said:
capt.1dc2aea2ba95479eb1034c1de341da41.brewers_cardinals_baseball_motg112.jpg

capt.d6054e77e4c94ae49603b6f0b96bd846.brewers_cardinals_baseball_motg111.jpg

capt.010547681d0641b7bfe33cf6a012d088.brewers_cardinals_baseball_motg110.jpg

capt.e612961c975d46ff8caa9e4f8e934a8f.brewers_cardinals_baseball_motg107.jpg

Even if the Stros dont do it,the fact that im getting to see images like these,makes me smile.
:lol

capt.4c76e0a1c4624c5eab7dd0fa6c9cd7c9.brewers_cardinals_baseball_motg105.jpg

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Angelus said:
Remember when you guys were crying about Mets fans cheering on their team in here?
Yet here come the haters posting up their usual shit in here.
So are you guys gonna start asking for bans when we Mets supporters come here to root the team on after a playoff victory too?

...uhh, what? It's Mets fans at both forums(here and SAS) I regularly post at that irritate the shit out of every other fan.

We don't care that you support your team; we all do. It's just the way that you do it. A bunch of stupid ****ing images, stupid ****ing comparisons, and stupid ****ing lyrics.

It'd be like a Yankee fan posting in here after every single win:

35527_512.jpg

Mariano = Sandman!!!! :D :D :D :D

Say your prayers little one
Dont forget, my son
To include everyone
Tuck you in, warm within
keep you free from sin
till the sandman he comes
sleep with one eye open
gripping your pillow tight

CHORUS
Exit, light
Enter, Night
Take my hand
we're off to never-never land

Somethings wrong, shut the light
heavy thoughts tonight
And they aren't of snow white
dreams of war, dreams of liars
dreams of dragon's fire
and of things that will bite
sleep with one eye open
gripping your pillow tight

CHORUS

SOLO

Now I lay me down to sleep (x2)
I pray the lord my soul to keep (x2)
If i die before i wake (x2)
I pray the lord my soul to take (x2)

hush little baby, don't say a word
never mind that noise you heard
it's just the beasts under your bed
in your closet, in your head

CHORUS (replacing 'take....land with 'grain of sand)
CHORUS (done the normal way)

:) :) :) :)

Hey guys IRON YANKEES continue to rock through the season!!!!

Won't you come into our stadium, we wanna show you all our wares.
We just want to see your blood, We just want to stand and stare.
See the blood begin to flow as it falls upon the floor.
The Yankees can't be fought, The Yankees can't be sought.

*Chorus*:
Oh well, wherever, wherever you are,
The Yankee's are gonna get you, no matter how far.
See the blood flow watching it shed up above my head.
The Yankees want you for dead.

Won't you come into our home, we wanna show you all our wares.
We just want to see your blood, we just want to stand and stare.
See the blood begin to flow as it falls upon the floor.
The Yankees can't be fought, The Yankees can't be sought.

gaynyy.gif

:D :D :D :) :) :D :D

Seriously there are a ton of Yankees, Red Sox, and Astros fans here. No one ever gives them shit for supporting their team. You guys are just obnoxious, plain and simple. And over the course of an entire season of course it turns us against you.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

kamikaze

so much for philly. they've gotta be out of gas now playing 14 last night and then starting a game at 11 pm. wouldn't be surprised to see them shutout by florida later tonight.

rc213

NomarTyme said:
Phillies lose Dodger lead in the Wild Card extends to 2 games!:D

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Now if only the DBacks take a game or two from the Puds we can sneak back into the lead in the N.L West!

_Angelus_

Banned
Eminem said:
...uhh, what? It's Mets fans at both forums(here and SAS) I regularly post at that irritate the shit out of every other fan.

We don't care that you support your team; we all do. It's just the way that you do it. A bunch of stupid ****ing images, stupid ****ing comparisons, and stupid ****ing lyrics.

It'd be like a Yankee fan posting in here after every single win:

35527_512.jpg

Mariano = Sandman!!!! :D :D :D :D

Seriously there are a ton of Yankees, Red Sox, and Astros fans here. No one ever gives them shit for supporting their team. You guys are just obnoxious, plain and simple. And over the course of an entire season of course it turns us against you.

The fact that youre all bent out of shape because a group of fans root for their team and post pictures in a gaming forum paints a pretty good picture here.:lol I mean gee what a shock, I never would have thought that people posted pictures in forums based on your wacky logic.

Seriously how the hell does it even annoy you when most everyone in this forum hates the ****ing Mets to begin with? Its like were a minority next to the usual shit thrown at the team. It goes both ways but you don't hear us crying about such shit. Here's a warning,stay away from the forum if you don't wanna see more support and pictures posted then. Cause If you can't handle fans from other teams and their antics youre pretty weak minded.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Angelus said:
The fact that youre all bent out of shape because a group of fans root for their team and post pictures in a gaming forum paints a pretty good picture here.:lol I mean gee what a shock, I never would have thought that people posted pictures in forums based on your wacky logic.

Seriously how the hell does it even annoy you when most everyone in this forum hates the ****ing Mets to begin with? Its like were a minority next to the usual shit thrown at the team. It goes both ways but you don't hear us crying about such shit. Here's a warning,stay away from the forum if you don't wanna see more support and pictures posted then. Cause If you can't handle fans from other teams and their antics youre pretty weak minded.

You're right, I'm the one getting bent out of shape and taking this seriously....

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I mean god forbid I make a parody of some of the things Mets fans have posted this year. GOD I'M SO UPSET ARRRRRRRRG I'M NEVER POSTING AGAIN

Keep posting the way you do man. We all love it and enjoy it.
And yeah, everyone here hates the Mets more than any other team. We're all rooting for the Yankees, America's most lovable team!

Desperado said:
There were less than 500 at PNC today. I bet there's like 50 at that one :lol

Were there seriously only 500 people at PNC Park today? I saw the highlights on SportsCenter and it looks pretty empty, but I didn't think it was that low.

I went to a game earlier this year where the infield was completely flooded - I mean COMPLETELY flooded - and there were still a good 10k at the game. I watched the whole game on TV from the pizza place inside the park. I forgot where I was a few times. I was watching it on TV for so long I'd be like, "Man, it would suck to be there. *look out the window* Oh shit, I'm at this game." :lol

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Eminem, that post was genius. Bravo.

Seriously Mets fans. Is it really neccessary to celebrate every victory as if you just won a ****ing playoff game?

"OMG YES WE BEAT THE PIRATES! DIVISION LEAD IS 16 GAMES YEESSSSSS! WE REALLY NEEDED THAT ONE!"

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Hmm Molina wants to come back and is willing to terminate his 7.5 million option. Even though I like Zaun he isn't that great, he starts off well and than slumps for the rest of the year. They both are pretty bad defensively. Ideally I want to keep Molina and pair him up with a good left handed hitting defensive back up catcher.

Oxx

This last week of the season has been so fun. Shame the NL WC isn't going down to the wire. The NL Central is where the fun is, though.

I can see the Astros taking 2 out of 3 in Atlanta. As for the Cards - who knows?

Meier

Can't believe they finally played that Nats/Phillies game.. good to see the Nats pull it out. I wonder how many fans were present for the eventual start? :lol Come on Marlins! If we win and the Marlins beat the Phils tonight.. we clinch at least the wild card, right?

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Hmm, on the plus side St. Louis is sending out Jeff Weaver tonight. On the negative side, Clemens is starting for the Astros, so this means zero run support.

mets fans are an annoying pestilence. like gout or something. and the thing of it is, you guys don't learn.
we keep asking you all season long to tone it down and you don't. this is why you guys will always be second class citizens to us, cause you're bush league. and mets the most hated team?? the ****?? i think that title belongs to us yankees and we don't have to do anything but show up to be hated. (on the other hand whatever makes us look less like villains is fine by me) :D

Desperado

MaverickX9 said:
Were there seriously only 500 people at PNC Park today? I saw the highlights on SportsCenter and it looks pretty empty, but I didn't think it was that low.
Yeah. it was rather sad..

espn.com recap said:
There weren't many witnesses for his latest victory. There were fewer than 500 in the stands after a rain delay pushed the starting time from 12:35 p.m. ET to 4:01 p.m. -- believed to be one of the longest delays to start a game in Pirates history.

astros.com recap said:
PITTSBURGH -- In front of no more than 200 people on a soggy, dreary Thursday afternoon, the Houston Astros played their most important game of the year -- and won, 3-0.

NomarTyme

Meier said:
Can't believe they finally played that Nats/Phillies game.. good to see the Nats pull it out. I wonder how many fans were present for the eventual start? :lol Come on Marlins! If we win and the Marlins beat the Phils tonight.. we clinch at least the wild card, right?

Yes! hopefully.

"I'd rather play the Yankees, because I know we can beat them." -- Twins owner Carl Pohlad

"I want to play the Yankees. I want to take those guys out. For two years in a row they've been eating our butts up, and now I want to do the biting." -– Torii Hunter

say what now? and are mets fans in denial or just plain loopy? you lose your number one guy and all of a sudden everything is roses? and considering the other playoff bound teams are heating up and the mets are playing awful... well, i'm not gonna make predictions anyway....

Kuroyume

Banned
evil solrac v3.0 said:
say what now? and are mets fans in denial or just plain loopy? you lose your number one guy and all of a sudden everything is roses? and considering the other playoff bound teams are heating up and the mets are playing awful... well, i'm not gonna make predictions anyway....

How was Pedro our number one guy? He had only 9 wins this year.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
evil solrac v3.0 said:
so you'd rather have trachsel going in the WS rather than pedro? ok metkee. whatever you say...

They don't need Pedro. They have the ageless wonder, El Dooky, and his wiffleball pitches to guide them through the playoffs.

Dr. Strangelove said:
They don't need Pedro. They have the ageless wonder, El Dooky, and his wiffleball pitches to guide them through the playoffs.

if art howe was still around steve trachsel would at least "battle" out there you know?

vatstep said:
I think it was just Frankman that most of us were complaining about. And I think that's completely warranted. I can only imagine how much more painful he'll be after playoff wins, though.
YOU CALLED?????

And thanks for the reminder! I'll have DeGeneration Mets out in full effect. And if you ain't down wit that, I got 3 words for ya!!

wc651

Captmcblack- " . . . Jesus, Frank"

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page...age=neel/060929

By Eric Neel
Page 2

After last night's waxing at the hands of the Milwaukee Brewers, the St. Louis Cardinals have dropped eight games to the Astros in 10 days, and all I can say is … it's not enough.

They must continue to fall, free and hard, the way Dudley Moore once fell for Bo Derek, the way Wile E. Coyote so often fell for the hard-rock bottom of the canyon.

I've got nothing against the Cardinals, and I'm not speaking on behalf of Astros fans. I'm speaking on behalf of baseball. I'm saying that outside of the Show Me State, and maybe even inside the Show Me State, it's in everyone's best interest that they completely blow this thing.

Why?

Eight reasons, in honor of the long-lost 8½ game lead they held over Houston entering play on Sept. 20…

First of all, it's just remarkably good television. Not since Farrah was on Letterman, maybe not since Richard Nixon held press conferences in the spring and summer of 1974, have we seen such high-quality train-wreck TV. You can't look away. You wince. You giggle nervously. You shake your head. But you can't look away. How far will it go? How bad can it get?

Like an ancient Greek audience steeped in catharsis, like a theater full of howling wolves at a showing of "Jackass Number Two," you're wondering at the limits of human experience, marveling at the outer reaches of human emotion. They are taking you somewhere you've never been, sacrificing themselves for your edification and entertainment. A-1 television, my friend. And better each and every losing night.

Tony La Russa's clearly not getting much sleep these days.Second of all, a spectacular St. Louis collapse is maybe all that saves us from the threat of yet another book on Tony La Russa. If this is just a slide, and they make the postseason, he's the levelheaded genius who kept them cool when the chips were down; he's the never-give-up foxhole commander who led a depleted offensive unit and a ragtag pitching staff through to the promised land ("ragtag," by the way, is the preferred term when in the company of Braden Looper's family members, who cringe at the use of the more conventional "sorry-ass"). And if he's that guy, it's only a matter of time before we're treated to some ponderous Doris Kearns Goodwin-penned hooey that shoots up the New York Times' best-seller list.

But if this is a good and proper nosedive, from the catbird seat to a seat on the couch, then Tony is the stumblebum at the helm, not legendary but pitiable. And instead of reading up on him, we can dance on the grave of the genius myth, while listening to Van Morrison's "No Guru, No Method, No Teacher," no less.

Third, we lose the Cards and we lose the nervous postseason injury watch. If there were federally sanctioned threat conditions for able-bodiedness, the red Cards would be orange for a high risk of attacks. This is a rattletrap car of a club, with Jason Isringhausen and Mark Mulder on the scrap heap and David Eckstein, Jim Edmonds and Scott Rolen always just a lunge or a swing away. (I've got $5 down on Edmonds and a ruptured spleen in the office pool, but I'm seriously considering hedging with a bet on Rolen and a dislocated shoulder.) These guys are gamers, no doubt, but there's just too great a chance that the kids at home would be exposed to sustained periods of Preston Wilson and Scott Spiezio if they go down, and that's just not fair to the kids.

Fourth, the Brad Lidge face. I'm talking about that flat, flabbergasted look of horror he flashed when Scott Podsednik took him deep in last year's Series. Before that we had the cool, dominating, filth-throwing Brad Lidge face. Waiting to see which face appears in his first big postseason save opportunity this year, wondering whether the faces might do some sort of Sybil shuffle, alternating between pitches, at-bats and games, is the sort of thing that'll make the playoffs great.

Fifth, one last postseason shot for Craig Biggio, who is still wildly underappreciated by Ma and Pa Public. He belongs in the conversation with Bonds and Griffey as among the best non-pitchers of the 1990s, and he has continued to be a productive player into his 40s, posting 19 win shares in 2005 and 20 home runs and 61 RBI this year. Plus, he's been true to his school (twice turning down big free-agent offers to leave Houston), and he has, for 18 years now, consistently crafted the best helmet muck in baseball -- the rejuvenating, therapeutic values of which are only now being fully discovered by scientists at Estee Lauder, but the distillate hallucinogenic qualities of which have long been understood by senior class study groups at the Naropa Institute in Boulder, Colo., who bid for old Biggio helmets on eBay the way Trekkies stay up late sniping for scraps of Spock's ears.

Sixth, the prospect of Clemens vs. Piazza in another playoff stare-down.

Seventh, they're just not a great team. We've granted them the NL Central crown since May because we're awestruck by Albert, and because the Astros got out of the blocks the way Jabba the Hut gets up out of a papasan chair. But take another look. This team is not going to win the World Series. This team is going to rely on Jason Marquis and So Taguchi. Aaron Miles is going to get serious time for this team. And unless they wise up and ask Adam Wainwright to close, this team will struggle mightily to hold even the most comfortable of late-inning leads.

Contrast that to Houston, where Roger Clemens and Roy Oswalt start twice in every seven-game series. And where young Luke Scott is looking like old Roy Hobbs. And where Lance Berkman continues to do a very, very credible Albert Pujols impression again this year. As a nonpartisan fan, which club looks more compelling? Which club looks more like one you'd actually want to see play in a postseason series? Careful, the questions get harder after this. Next, I ask you your name and the color of the sky.

And eighth, and most importantly, they have the chance to be legendary. As a team that makes the playoffs and gets pounded (either in the LCS by the Mets, maybe, or in the Series by the Yankees) they're utterly forgettable; this time next year I will spot you the C, the A, the R, and the D, and ask you who won the NL Central division in 2006 and you will stare at me the way McMurtry stares at Chief just before the big fella brings the pillow down on him. But if they continue to sputter, and flail, and take the elevator all the way down to the parking garage, they're legendary.

Even Albert the Great hasn't been able to lift the Cards out of this funk.If the Cards blow this, they'll challenge the all-time great bunglers (the '51 Dodgers, the '78 Red Sox, the '95 Angels and even the '64 Phillies). In fact, dropping seven games in the standings in the last week and a half would give them a legit claim as the most chokiest of all chokers. They could be the ones to set the souls and spirits of Mike Torres, Ralph Branca and Gene Mauch free. They could rewrite not only the record book but the baseball dictionary, too. Years from now, when some other team swoons, even in April, we will say they "went St. Louis," and when a sleepy ship's captain runs his tanker aground we will say he was feeling "La Russa-ish."

And forget the future -- what about the here and now? The story of 2006, from start to finish, has been about the American League. They won the All-Star Game. They have the only genuine World Series contenders. The National League is weak. The ALCS is going to be the real championship bout. That's all we've heard. But if the Cards do this thing, and do it right, and finish it out strong -- popping up bunts, walking in runs and clenching shoulders all the way to the finish line -- they could blow the AL off the front page and into oblivion. If they do this thing right, they could trump the World Series winner and make them the utterly forgettable ones. 2006 wouldn't be the year the Yanks won yet another. It would, forever and always, be the Cards' year. The year the Cards lost.

There are winners every season. There are heroes every year. But only once in a blue moon does a team and a city have a chance to do something truly special. St. Louis and the Cardinals have that chance right now. They've put themselves in a position to lose, gloriously, spectacularly.

They must tank.

Mets Spin Job

"As Leader of DeGeneration Mets we are deeply saddened by the loss of a warrior, Pedro Martinez. His presence of the ground and ability to intimidate the opposition with 81 MPH changeups was an asset to the clubhouse. But we must stay to course. We have young stud John Maine who performed very well for the Mets and Orlando Hernandez, one of the better postseason pitchers of our generation. We also have a great pen manned by Billy "Wooo!" Wagner. Stay the course, Met fans . . . STAY THE COURSE.

/message out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom