• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NeoGAF Nike + Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome, took them back walked across the road and got 2 from HMV. Walked outside and tried them straight away and they work :D Seems the first ones were older as they had no info about the Touch unlike the new ones we have.

Cant wait to give it a go.

Edit: just back from my run managed 2.1miles \o/ cant believe my run on saturday had me dead at a mile and my next run i can run double that :D Done it in 16.59 so basicaly 17 mins which i was surprised at aswell!

My accounts Jlenham on the nike site

DieselSr

Neo Member
I'm no pro when it comes to speed work, but I have been able to trim some time occasionally. My advice for trying to get faster is go to a local track near your house. Just running the same distance (2 miles non stop), just faster, will bring marginal improvements but you need to get your body used to running faster. The best way to do that is start with smaller distances. Do 4 x 800 metres at a 7:30 mile pace (or faster if you can handle it, but don't kill yourself on the first outing). If you are running 8:00 - 8:30 minute miles, then you can probably run a slightly faster pace on a flat track. Take a walk break between each 800. Try and carve time on a track over a shorter distance first. Then get your body used to running longer distances faster once you can develop a good pace you're happy with on the track. Hope that helps! I'm going out for a 30K tomorrow, I have three more long runs until the Good Life Toronto Marathon. Shooting to break 2h 25 mins tomorrow, wish me luck!

big_z

^
retards in my city fenced in our track a couple months back. now it's only used by high school students when schools in. i dont understand why they would do such a thing, no one ever abused it in the 25+ years it's been open for public use.

Johnlenham said:
Awesome, took them back walked across the road and got 2 from HMV. Walked outside and tried them straight away and they work :D Seems the first ones were older as they had no info about the Touch unlike the new ones we have.

Cant wait to give it a go.

Edit: just back from my run managed 2.1miles \o/ cant believe my run on saturday had me dead at a mile and my next run i can run double that :D Done it in 16.59 so basicaly 17 mins which i was surprised at aswell!

My accounts Jlenham on the nike site

dont forget to calibrate your nike sensor and it's good to hear you got the problem sorted out. i sent you the invites for this months challenges.

Kung Fu Jedi where are you this challenge????

I'll join the gaf team if poss. Nike ID same as my gaf user name. I'm a frequent runner, just did a 10k race last weekend & have got the great north run half marathon in 1 1/2 weeks.

Was looking forward to the London human race in October but looks as if it's all virtual now.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Can I join?

DeadJoshWalking is my screen name, it's all public.

In case there are any lurkers in here wanting Iphone case recommendations, im using the Marware one and its pretty much perfect, has a place for your keys and keeps everything nice and still durin the run.

Really liking nike+, wish they'd get working on more measurement equipment though I especially want it to be able to work out the elevation of my runs, was doing laps ending in a 400 metre hill climb today, nearly died on the second (last) one.

Also heart rate, but that goes without saying.

Where do I find the challenges exactly? the Nike+ sites abit confusing (at least for me :lol )

Going for my run tonight, going to try for 3miles this time or atleast 2.5. Heres hoping:D

Edit: holy hell im fucked.
My nike graphs a mess for tonight where I had to walk around 400m but I got to the end of 3miles and was sweating like crazy so its all good in terms of calorie burning.

Timbuktu

Ghost said:
Also heart rate, but that goes without saying.

133229-nike_heart_rate_500.png

Saw this on a mac rumors site. Anyone heard anything else about this? Been running regularly for a while and doing a half-marathon in october, but this might make me get a nano (running with a shuffle at the moment) and nike+ finally.

Appleinsider said:
Nike plans iPod nano-compatible heart rate monitor

By Neil Hughes
Published: 11:35 AM EST

In addition to a built-in pedometer, the new fifth-generation iPod nano will be compatible with an upcoming Nike-branded heart rate monitor for fitness-minded users, AppleInsider has learned.

Evidence of the device exists in the latest Nike+ iPod user guide, posted on Apple's Web site. The 28-page document includes a section entitled "Linking a Nike + iPod Compatible Remote or Heart Rate Monitor." It states that only the fifth-generation ipod nano, announced Wednesday, is compatible.

In addition, people familiar with the matter told AppleInsider that the accessory was initially expected to launch alongside the next-generation iPod nano, but it has been delayed for an unknown period of time.

The manual states that Nike+ compatible heart rate monitors are sold separately. The device can be connected to the new iPod nano under the hardware's settings. It does not appear that the heart rate monitor would work with the iPod touch.

The latest iPod nano has a built-in pedometer that will sync to the Nike+ software. Previously, the system required an external transmitter to track steps. The system keeps track of milestones like running distance, as well as calories burned.

Other features exclusive to the new iPod nano with Nike+ are the ability to listen to FM radio, playing "PowerSong" playlists during a workout, and reviewing workouts. According to the user manual, the latest hardware provides users daily totals of Nike + iPod workouts, pedometer steps, and cardio workouts using Nike + iPod compatible gym equipment.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Just ran my first official 5k. Ran it in 21'50". I was ranked 63rd out of 1,346. Next up, half marathon.

hoss

Hmmm. Ran 8.3 miles yesterday and uploaded to nikerunning and it shows up in my personal logs. However this isn't showing up in any of my challenges. Anyone know how to fix that? Kinda sucks.

EDIT - Ok, uploaded a new run from today and it looks like that updated both days for the challenges.

DieselSr

Neo Member
I haven't checked today, but I uploaded a 17K run from yesterday and the same thing happened. Was in "my runs" but not in my challenges. I guess it got fixed?

Hoss, you jumped ahead of me again?! LOL

Just to prepare you, I'm going out for 34K on Friday :)

D.

DieselSr

Neo Member
Oh and I just recalibrated because my wife bought me a new Nano. But I think I messed up, as the measurement of 1K seems to be about 100 metres further than an actual Kilometre. I have to recalibrate, so frustrating.

D.

big_z

hoss said:
Hmmm. Ran 8.3 miles yesterday and uploaded to nikerunning and it shows up in my personal logs. However this isn't showing up in any of my challenges. Anyone know how to fix that? Kinda sucks.

EDIT - Ok, uploaded a new run from today and it looks like that updated both days for the challenges.

i've noticed this as well. sometimes it takes 5-10 minutes for the site to update the challenge info.

hoss

DieselSr said:
I haven't checked today, but I uploaded a 17K run from yesterday and the same thing happened. Was in "my runs" but not in my challenges. I guess it got fixed?

Hoss, you jumped ahead of me again?! LOL

Just to prepare you, I'm going out for 34K on Friday :)

D.

Damn man - that's a pretty long way! I feel like I'm Dennis Weaver in Duel trying to outrun a semi truck that's right on my ass.

Cyan

Banned
Huh. My Nike+ is almost always spot on with the mileage count... but it was off by over a mile tonight. Weird.

Funny how even though it doesn't really matter that much, I hate getting undercounted. :/

big_z

October challenges are out. It's a full month this time minus halloween.

Sorry if you got a couple false invites, nike was being a bit finicky tonight. There are two challenges again this time. Everyone should join both challenges and as always if you didnt get the invite let me know and i'll resend it. Dont forget you can always join the challenge late.

Anybody doing the human race on the 24th? Got an e-mail today asking for my address to send the free Nike t-shirt for it. Not a bad freebie although would have preferred a proper organised race instead of this years virtual one.

big_z

man where is everybody only 13 people this month. sad.

anyway does anyone have the new ipod nano? do they have the nike+ receiver built in? you only have to buy the part that goes in your shoe right?

just wondering because i might upgrade my nano. getting sick of deleting old music to fit new stuff on it.

Chorazin

big_z said:
man where is everybody only 13 people this month. sad.

anyway does anyone have the new ipod nano? do they have the nike+ receiver built in? you only have to buy the part that goes in your shoe right?

just wondering because i might upgrade my nano. getting sick of deleting old music to fit new stuff on it.

I just joined the challenges today, my knee was jacked up two weeks back and I was sick this past week, but now I'm good to go. Got me a pair of Nike Air Citius 2+ shoes on sale before I got sick and man they are are awesome. I wasn't wearing the proper shoes before and my legs were killing me (and that's prolly why my knee hated me) but now I feel like I will be able to go faster and longer with these.

how much do you guys run in a single go? I usually do a 5k which is like 3.1 miles...right now thats as far as i can go. I havent really pushed myself further.

big_z

layzie1989 said:
how much do you guys run in a single go? I usually do a 5k which is like 3.1 miles...right now thats as far as i can go. I havent really pushed myself further.

4-6 miles is my average depending on time. i feel bad going below 4 miles... i hope to improve my speed some so i can add an extra mile or so.

Futureman

How do you calibrate your run? At a track? I hit the calibrate thing after my run and it was like, "Put in how far you actually ran." UHH I don't know...

Honestly I don't really care about the stats and challenges, I just feel guilty if I don't run as much considering I bought the Nike+ sensor thing, so I guess that's good, get's me out there more often.

big_z

Futureman said:
How do you calibrate your run? At a track? I hit the calibrate thing after my run and it was like, "Put in how far you actually ran." UHH I don't know...

its best to calibrate it at a track. one or two laps around should be enough.

Cyan said:
Who's this micromagic guy, and what is he running from?
That's me, what am I running from? :lol I was running every day at the beginning of the month but have slowed it down recently. Ran last night but will be giving it a break until the human race on Saturday.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Hey guys, I've fallen off the bandwagon due to colder temperatures and lack of sunlight. However, just so you know I've been playing indoor basketball twice a week, so it's not like I've been slacking. I'll try to start treadmill running soon.

big_z

Cyan said:
This new setup is crap. :/

what do you recommend?

i've been running but not logging any runs because i sold my ipod and purchased a new one.. i got tired of deleting shit off my old one to make room for new stuff. apple seems to ship their stuff from china now and for some reason my new ipod has been in alaska for 3 days. teh fuck?

AirBrian

SephCast said:
Hey guys, I've fallen off the bandwagon due to colder temperatures and lack of sunlight. However, just so you know I've been playing indoor basketball twice a week, so it's not like I've been slacking. I'll try to start treadmill running soon.
I'm fighting some shin splints from playing too much racquetball. :-(

I'm taking the rest of the week off and then going to hit the treadmill again next week!

big_z

got my new ipod. after this months over im going to deactivate my account and then resign up under the same name. i want to start fresh from zero.

im thinking the neogaf team should maybe start over as well. we got a lot of dead people over the year and it would be nice to have only those that will participate on the team. it would make setting challenges a lot easier and more accurate. what do you guys think?

AirBrian

big_z said:
got my new ipod. after this months over im going to deactivate my account and then resign up under the same name. i want to start fresh from zero.

im thinking the neogaf team should maybe start over as well. we got a lot of dead people over the year and it would be nice to have only those that will participate on the team. it would make setting challenges a lot easier and more accurate. what do you guys think?

Yeah, not a bad idea.

ruxtpin

Banned
Ran my second half-marathon yesterday, in preparation for my first full-marathon on Thanksgiving Day. I logged a PR of 1:27:36 (20th out of 2000.) I'm so effin' pumped. If I can maintain that on Thanksgiving then I'm going to Boston! :D

ruxtpin said:
Ran my second half-marathon yesterday, in preparation for my first full-marathon on Thanksgiving Day. I logged a PR of 1:27:36 (20th out of 2000.) I'm so effin' pumped. If I can maintain that on Thanksgiving then I'm going to Boston! :D
Congrats, that's an amazing time for your 2nd half marathon. I've run 2 and my last time was 1:37.

Any challenges this month?

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I've been off running for a while, but trying hard to get back in. I'm doing 5K runs mostly, fastest I've done up till now is 23:46. I hope I can shave off one or two minutes this month.

big_z

micromagic said:
Any challenges this month?

i thought about it and decided against it. november will be an off month.

as i said above i would like to restart the team or clean it out. we need to get rid of the dead runners and set some rules to ensure people participate. this way i can set challenges that are more accurate. im going to talk to The_Inquisitor to see what he wants to do.

dont worry i havent forgotten about the nike+ team.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
It's winter here, which means I've switched to basketball. I may have some runs on the treadmill here and there, but don't expect me back to full running speed til March or April.

I have been running as much as I can lately. I don't really check the nike site anymore. It crashes my browser every time I go to it. Nike needs to get off the Flash shit already.

TheyCallMeMoney said:
I have been running as much as I can lately. I don't really check the nike site anymore. It crashes my browser every time I go to it. Nike needs to get off the Flash shit already.
The new Nike+ site is buggy as hell. You can switch back to the classic site which is better. There's plenty of complaints on the official forums about it so hopefully it will improve soon.

Look forward to next months challenges then. I'll be running throughout the winter.

Cyan

Banned
micromagic said:
The new Nike+ site is buggy as hell. You can switch back to the classic site which is better. There's plenty of complaints on the official forums about it so hopefully it will improve soon.

Look forward to next months challenges then. I'll be running throughout the winter.
How do you switch back?

big_z

Cyan said:
How do you switch back?

on the site after you're logged in i think you click on home or runs and you should see a small banner add on the lower half of the screen asking to view your stuff on the old site.

allegate said:
Is anyone having issues with iTunes 9.02 and sending reports to Nike+? Because I haven't been able to upload the past two days numbers.
I synced a run on Wednesday night with no problems with 9.02. That's from a mac though, don't know if the Windows version has any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom