• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Custom Theme Thread

from the Mass Effect thread:

Nif said:
I'd been trying to find one, but they're mostly low quality versions of the boxart. I made this instead:

It'll be on my desktop for a while. =)

hopefully he'll do a 1920x1080 version soon.

EOGamer

I'm using the Okami theme, it's absolutely awesome. However, your NeoGAF theme has some cut off on both the N in NeoGAF and a good bit of your signature, modus. As for theme suggestions, I think Persona 3 and Shenmue are both strong candidates.

Chris_C

Can someone please explain how to install themes? I've put them on my PSP memory stick in a folder structure like so PS3->Theme-> and then the various themes, but when I look in the folder in photomode it just says "there are no images".

Erebus

Chris_C said:
Can someone please explain how to install themes? I've put them on my PSP memory stick in a folder structure like so PS3->Theme-> and then the various themes, but when I look in the folder in photomode it just says "there are no images".

You need to go to the System tab > Theme settings and then Theme > Install

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
m0dus, that Okami theme was really awesome. I think you did an even better job there at capturing game's feel and visual theme than the MGS4 theme even.

Tr4nce said:
Would it be very weird to ask for a very atmospherical Monkey Island 3 theme??? :d
Not at all! That an Uncharted theme would be something I'd be looking at with great anticipation. Uncharted even has that awesome PSN wallpaper that's perfect for this kind of stuff.

rager

Banned
I agree. Standard icons are the way to go. For the work that you are doing modus, hand drawing them is a waste of your talent, especially since no one is paying you for this.

I am working in a Killzone theme and I was debating hand drawing the icons. But I am too busy here a work for that. :lol

RavenFox

Banned
MarkMan said:
The main man at Tekken Zaibatsu, Castel has been working on some Tekken 6 themes for his site, www.tekkenzaibatsu.com ! Check preview pics out!

[IM]http://tekkenzaibatsu.com/heihachi_ps3_theme.jpg[/IMG]

[IM]http://tekkenzaibatsu.com/feng_ps3_theme.jpg[/IMG]

[IM]http://tekkenzaibatsu.com/zafina_ps3_theme.jpg[/IMG]

Hey buddy do you have a direct link to that page?

Dragon

Banned
Silicon Knight said:
Is there any way to turn that PlayStation News thingy in the top right corner off? It totally fucks up my wallpapers. :(

Go to the icon in the XMB, hit triangle, go to don't display or whatever the option is.

tanod

when is my burrito
TTP said:
for the love of god m0dus, change host. I cannot make it work :(

I'm in the states and it won't let me download any of modus's new stuff either. I was able to get the NeoGAF theme which is fuck-all awesome. I'm guessing his links are being spammed across the interwebs as we speak.

Mammothtank said:
Maybe m0dus could just make a noob friendly tutorial on making themes step by step?
1)Be awesome
2)Download theme tools
3)Make awesome theme

Done.

Awesome work modus!! :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
m0dus said:
Honestly, at this point, I just wish there were STANDARD icons available for the themes.

Here's the next question--do people like the glowy icons I created for the NeoGAF and MGS themes? Those are pretty much going to become my 'standard' for my custom themes that don't involve a buttload of redrawing (like the okami one) :lol
I gotta say.. not the biggest fan of those. They are very good, and still better than most (if not all) other user made themes out there, but just IMO, I'd rather see fewer themes, if you can pull off stuff like Okami theme for every one of them.

For Okami theme, did you find some of those elements on wallappers or games website, or did you draw all those things using some caligraphy tool?

m0dus said:
Whoa, that's a whoooole lotta anime right there. I loved Grandia on the Saturn back in the day. Is that the one you're talking about?

Yes, I'm talking Grandia 1! One of the best RPGs ever.

justinfeena.jpg

BOFV has some great artwork: such as the pic I'm using for my PSP:

odjn.jpg

And I really wouldn't call VP anime, just so you know. :p

I'm using your Okami theme and, good god damn, if I could ever get something of that spectacularly high quality for Grandia/VP/BOFV, that would be

6bbwmbm.jpg

I know someone, somewhere scanned at high resolution the official artwork for the first Valkyrie Profile.

As for Grandia and BOFV, I know that might be a problem. :S

But BOFV's patterned designs are just so absolutely phenomenal. And I think it'd lend itself especially well to icon design.

logo.jpg

I love that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
m0dus said:
I drew them all using a wacom tablet, and looking at a couple of screenshots and concept arts as a reference. :0 I have a PSD file called 'my_okami_goodies.psd' that has the full size versions of the more complex icons (the character art I made, the houses, the 'settings' arch, and my favorite, the HOME icon, which you can't see until HOME is activated ;p )
That's really impressive! Again, I don't think your other two themes are anything to scoff at, but this Okami theme is something that you could easily put in your portfolio for example, so from that perspective you're not just doing charity work when you put more effort into these things.

Ragnarok10

m0dus said:
I think I got maybe 1 or 2 more in me--one of which I'm thinking of just seeing what popular opinion demands/asks for. The other is something neat for an unreleased game that is at the 'analysis stage.'
I think LBP would be a huge crowd pleaser.

illest thread on GAF: Confirmed!

i'm currently switching off between the modus, portal, and mgs4 themes. all are fantastic though and all are on my ps3.

thanks to everyone that contributed!

dankir

Wow these are pretty fucking sick. I really hope they'll come out with an option to randomize themes after booting up, cuz I definitely want to see these on a regular basis!

Raist

Banned
Okay, here are the icons I've made so far for my LBP theme (yes, I'm super slow :p)

Videos - Music - Friends - Games - Network

86fhzed.png
72zvxb9.png
730fnv4.png
7xazf6a.png
87bafdi.png

Should be faster for sub folder icons... provided I find some ideas :lol

Raist

Banned
m0dus said:
I think those are pretty cool--a thought, though, have you tried transparent backdrops?

Yeah, I thought about it, looks pretty nice also. Tho I have to see whether it fits well with the wallpaper

Speevy

Banned
I'm trying a limited color pallette with the icons. I figure that uniformity is the best bet with this.

Here's one of my icons.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Raist said:
Okay, here are the icons I've made so far for my LBP theme (yes, I'm super slow :p)

Videos - Music - Friends - Games - Network

86fhzed.png
72zvxb9.png
730fnv4.png
7xazf6a.png
87bafdi.png

Should be faster for sub folder icons... provided I find some ideas :lol

Keep up the good work man. WE NEED THE FINISHED PRODUCT!

nofi

Been hidden away in London for 5 days (including 2.5 hours in a police station, yay!) and just got back to FW 2.00 and themes. PS3 love for the late, eh?

Photoshop is fired up, where do I start? :p

Speevy

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
I hate to break it to you Speevy, but you're not very good at this :(

I'm terrible at this. That doesn't mean I'm not going to try to make a theme.

I've run the compiler to see how some stuff looks on my TV, then I go back to the drawing board to see what looks good and what doesn't.

But kudos for being the uncalled for jackass comment of the week.

Top Bottom