• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Custom Theme Thread

methane47 said:
wow.. thats pretty awesome... Did you use a pic of BM's utility belt for anything? I think that would be a cool "settings" icon.. although the one you have right now is pretty awesome

I thought of the exact same thing. I tried looking at various "decent" pics of utility belt that people would recognize easily. Unfortunately it didn't work. This was the closest i could get to a "Utility belt". There are also many small things to look out for that some Batman/DC fans would appreciate.

e.g.

- "Message Box" has the address of Wayne Mansion.
- "Start New Chat" has the classic red phone.
- "Online Instruction Manual" has Riddler's logo.
- "Block list" (my favorite) has Batman holding Robin.
- "Recieved" and "Sent" are heads and tails respectively.

etc etc. Thanks for appreciating :)

noonche

Alright guys. I've written a small java program that lets you assemble a theme via dragging and dropping stuff from your hard drive. I'd like some help testing it, coming up with a better user interface (the current one sucks) and improving the craptastic "preview" frame that I have right now.

Here's a screen shot of me editing some crap in: http://www.imagerush.com/uploads/5011361811.jpg

If you're interested in helping me out know that:
- I haven't looked into hacking the P3T and GIM file formats so this requires the original tools provided by Sony (sorry Mac and Linux guys). This also means it can't read P3T files (it reads and generates XML similar to the sample theme that Sony provided)
- This hasn't really been debugged. I've made a single theme from random images around mine harddrive and that worked, I also made changes to sony's sample and that worked.
- I only support 1 background (it uses the same image to make the HD and the SD background) and 1 localization at the moment.
- The preview is just the background with the main XMB arrayed across it.
- The UI is ugly as crap, and won't properly resize itself.

Basically, the software is very much "in developement" and I'm looking for some feedback, some testing, and some help refining (completely re-doing) the UI.

Additionally, if anyone has run into what P3T and GIM files actually are let me know.

Anyway, If you'd like to help me out, PM me.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
HAHAH Nice Capcom may cry indeed there is no way in hell they can match m0dus even is they were charging money!

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Wow these themes are amazing..thanks for all who are making them. Id make some myself, but I dont have the artistic skills nor computer skills to do so. I am looking forward to a Gran Turismo theme. I hope someone out there is listening :)

Speevy

Banned
Great job alske. Although I think the actual compiling is the easiest part.
Making a good one is the tough one.

m0dus, check your PMs.

Firewire

Banned
m0dus said:
Next one incoming tonight! I've done a bit of internal debate, and decided that the next one may need to be a more expansive title than the ones I've chosen thus far.

Aw heck, here's a hint:

Icons.35.png

:)

You make Kratos cry! :(

Tiduz

Eurogaime
m0dus said:
Next one incoming tonight! I've done a bit of internal debate, and decided that the next one may need to be a more expansive title than the ones I've chosen thus far.

Aw heck, here's a hint:

Icons.35.png

OH YES, THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

noonche

Speevy said:
Great job alske. Although I think the actual compiling is the easiest part.
Making a good one is the tough one.

m0dus, check your PMs.

Well, the XML is fairly easy, but what I'm hoping that I can do is get it to the point that the preview panel allows you to navigate around like you would on the actually XMB so that people can see the results of their work without having to compile it, download it to a memory stick and go test it on an actual PS3. Also, at some point I'd like to add support for PSP themes in so that you could make one theme in the program and it would be able to compile it for both machines. Anyway, that's still quite a ways off.

Speevy

Banned
I've decided that perhaps the best way to tackle Nemo is not necessarily a full sprite approach, but a combination of sprites and gradients.

This one is mine, based on the keys.

This one is taken directly from a screenshot and modified.

Synless

m0dus said:
eheh. I wouldn't begin to go that far. though, I will say I was surprised how hard it was to find some nice, gigantic art assets for this one.

here's a snip of the wallpaper:

prev.jpg
omfg..........i was hoping, m0dus > Sony?????

Raist said:
Photo Icon

85udcgx.png

Added the same transparency to all other ones.

Here's a rough preview of how it should look like.

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

Hope you're patient enough, because this is definitely going to take a while xD

that looks amazing.

EktorPR

OMG m0dus...can't fucking wait for it to be finished. I'm on a Devil May Cry high right now (thx to the OMFG awesome TGS extended trailer) so this couldn't have happened at a better time. :D

Synless

m0dus said:
you . . . wha?
I was playing something and trying to type somethig out really fast and that's what came out, lol I meant to say I was hoping that one of the ones you would make would be a DMC one and I was saying so far your work kicks the shit out of Sony's I have no doubt especially after the okami theme (which was the one theme I wanted anyone to make) kicked ass!!!!!! good work man.

Ferrio

Banned
Wish I had artistic talent. Making good looking icons always been a bane for me, and using pre-existing images seems cheap.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I'd like to try my hand at a few themes...I've got the files but I'm a total noob.

Is there any easy source of other PS3 icons and other images, and what XML editor should I use?

comrade

m0dus said:

Aw heck, here's a hint:

Icons.35.png

FUCK YES!

Dot50Cal

Banned
Devil May Cry 4 (m0dus)
http://www.filecrunch.com/file/~86rdfc

dmc4.jpg

Big:
dmc4big.jpg

If I could offer some constructive criticism to all theme makers, Try and work off the original icons if you can. We've come to know the shapes to mean what they do, and the Okami theme is probably the best example of this. m0dus re-did all the assets but still kept the same shapes as the original theme. This imo is key to making a good theme. Stick with the original icons, but re-do them in such a way as to make them appear to be from the world of the theme you are creating.

I realize that doesn't lend itself so well to some themes, but those are just my thoughts.

the chris

Dot50Cal said:
Devil May Cry 4 (m0dus)
http://www.filecrunch.com/file/~86rdfc

dmc4.jpg

Big:
dmc4big.jpg

If I could offer some constructive criticism to all theme makers, Try and work off the origins icons if you can. We've come to know the shapes to mean what they do, and the Okami theme is probably the best example of this. m0dus re-did all the assets but still kept the same shapes as the original theme. This imo is key to making a good theme. Stick with the original icons, but re-do them in such a way as to make them appear to be from the world of the theme you are creating.

I realize that doesn't lend itself so well to some themes, but those are just my thoughts.

Holy crap!

Speevy

Banned
Dot50cal, I have to disagree with you there. The Okami theme is brilliant because it completely reinvents the theme.

You think a hammer looks like a wrench?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Speevy said:
tthe chris, I have to disagree with you there. The Okami theme is brilliant because it completely reinvents the theme.

Chris didn't say that :(

But I think it keeps the theme of the icons rather well. Having the icons be a mish mash of sprites or character art assets and such doesn't really help in the usability department. It really helps to keep the same general shape of the icon as much as possible.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Awwww yeah! Thanks m0dus thxs a lot man now if some one could bust out with a Twisted Metal : Black One I would be gratefull indeed!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Speevy said:
Dot50cal, I have to disagree with you there. The Okami theme is brilliant because it completely reinvents the theme.

The okami theme is pretty much my favorite, however, modus, you are a fracking demi-god with these themes.

Synless

m0dus said:
:lol hey, keep in mind that the DMC4 theme will be gracing my 360 too :p at least the wallpaper will.

I wasn't sure if you noticed, but this theme has the entirely new icon set I've created--it's modelled after the originals, but I redesigned each sprite. I plan on using these for my future themes that don't incorporate a complete re-drawing of every @#$@ing thing. :) I apply some dynamic layering effects/transparencies, etc. I tried using more primitives so it can go with most any theme (again, one that doesn't require redrawing everything as part of the theme itself, ala 'okami.)

The only sad part is, you won't know WHO got turned into the 'home' icon until HOME is relased. alas. Just like the Okami theme, too.

But hey, at least I finally made a theme that goes well with that wierd PSN icon :lol
I know you have like a million requests on theme's but if you get some time......could you please for the love of god do a Final Fantasy theme, I believe only you could do it justice. I don't care which FF it is new or old but please just do one!!!!!!!!!!!

Speevy

Banned
If I could offer a reasonable request of a popular game, how about Zelda?

(My personal pick would be Animal Crossing, also an extremely popular game)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Of course, the one thing we have to keep in mind...Sony will undoubtedly release more features to the firmware in the years to come. Are we going to need to update the themes as well? It may be handy to spare a few icons for the future.

Synless said:
I know you have like a million requests on theme's but if you get some time......could you please for the love of god do a Final Fantasy theme, I believe only you could do it justice. I don't care which FF it is new or old but please just do one!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd kill for either an FF8 or FF12 theme.

Leaving in 32 hours. Won't be in front of my PC for a VERYYY long time, so i decided to make one more theme. Might take somewhere between 4 - 20 hrs, depending on how much time i spend on the PC, and also because i'm not using a mouse (on laptop).

Here's a sample. See if you guys can guess it:

chimera.png

DarkKyo

I'm pretty experienced at image creation/editing, but I'm not too familiar with.. what was it, xml or something? What do I need to know in terms of "coding" the theme? I really want to try my hand at making one.

Edit: NEVERMIND! Don't flame me, I see some tutorials already posted in this thread.

Top Bottom