• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Custom Theme Thread

Obaid

Banned
we need a theme preview app now. I want to know how my theme will feel lately before i install it on my ps3. Come on we must to have some talented coders here, who can do this in an hour or what :D

DarkKyo

Can you actually download stuff from mediafire on PS3? If not, what's a good way to relay the file onto the PS3, as in, any other good file hosting sites that the PS3 can actually access?

noonche

Obaid said:
we need a theme preview app now. I want to know how my theme will feel lately before i install it on my ps3. Come on we must to have some talented coders here, who can do this in an hour or what :D

Sort of already working on it. An hour is a little unrealistic though ;)

I was busy for most of yesterday so sorry I didn't get to update the OP till now. I've added the Batman theme and the DMC4 theme. Let me know if I missed one that should go up.

Raist

Banned
Jeebus, I CAN'T make the wallpaper of my theme appear on the PS3. It only gives me a black screen.

I've checked the compiler log, and there's absolutely no line for the wallpaper. So something's wrong, but what ? :/

kensama

here three new theme for you.

Thème:Simpsons
Author:[Wurms]

Thème:Wii
Author:[WeirdKid]

Thème:Little Big Planet
Author:[penguin rage]

Ferrio said:
Wish I had artistic talent. Making good looking icons always been a bane for me, and using pre-existing images seems cheap.

Same here. I'm able to frame things nicely, but iconic items (such as hey, ICONS) or patterns are absolutely impossible for me.

Which is why I've resorted to begging in this thread. :p

Raist

Banned
Meh, just check the sample theme compiling, and the wallpapers don't show up either in the log.

Anyone who has done some themes, do you know if it's supposed to be in the log ? I guess it should but...

This is seriously pissing me off, I don't feel like completing my theme now ;.;

izakq

The Simpsons one looks pretty cool.

I don't know if it has been requested or not, but how about a Silent Hill theme with Pyramid Head and rust looking icons?

Raist

Banned
Huh, now I've just saved my wallpaper as a "normal" jpeg (just baseline instead of prog. scan) and it works... really weird, I don't see how it should matter.

Aaaanyway, I'm back on tracks :D

I've decided to go with a much simpler background. Still not finished, but here's a preview :)

Thoughts ?

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Raist said:
Huh, now I've just saved my wallpaper as a "normal" jpeg (just baseline instead of prog. scan) and it works... really weird, I don't see how it should matter.

Aaaanyway, I'm back on tracks :D

I've decided to go with a much simpler background. Still not finished, but here's a preview :)

Thoughts ?

It looks sweet. However, you may want to be a little more forgiving with the graphics near the edges - many people (myself included) have overscan on their sets that cut offs some of the background. An overscan template was posted a few pages back if you want to overlay and keep stuff off the 3% boundary and maybe even the 5%.

Doubledex

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
Devil May Cry 4 (m0dus)
http://www.filecrunch.com/file/~86rdfc

dmc4.jpg

Big:
dmc4big.jpg

If I could offer some constructive criticism to all theme makers, Try and work off the original icons if you can. We've come to know the shapes to mean what they do, and the Okami theme is probably the best example of this. m0dus re-did all the assets but still kept the same shapes as the original theme. This imo is key to making a good theme. Stick with the original icons, but re-do them in such a way as to make them appear to be from the world of the theme you are creating.

I realize that doesn't lend itself so well to some themes, but those are just my thoughts.

Wow, but where is the GOD OF WAR version, m0dus=??????

>_<

SleazyC

Icons on that HL2 theme are awesome but I think the choice of wallpaper is a bit lacking. Looking at m0dus themes he creates an area of emphasis over where the active icon is and it really works to a great effect.

rc213

SleazyC said:
Icons on that HL2 theme are awesome but I think the choice of wallpaper is a bit lacking. Looking at m0dus themes he creates an area of emphasis over where the active icon is and it really works to a great effect.

Can you repost it somewhere else? Please

Doubledex

Banned
damn, noob ;-/
I downloaded the p3t, smacked it into my USB stick and the stick into my PS3. I thought thats enough?
PS3: "nothing on the stick"
What?

Doubledex said:
damn, noob ;-/
I downloaded the p3t, smacked it into my USB stick and the stick into my PS3. I thought thats enough?
PS3: "nothing on the stick"
What?

Create a folder called "PS3" on the thumb drive. Then create a folder named "THEME" within that folder and toss the .p3t into that. The PS3 will notice it then.

Raist

Banned
Beatbox said:
It looks sweet. However, you may want to be a little more forgiving with the graphics near the edges - many people (myself included) have overscan on their sets that cut offs some of the background. An overscan template was posted a few pages back if you want to overlay and keep stuff off the 3% boundary and maybe even the 5%.

I have some overscan on my TV and it looked ok. Still, I move some parts a bit in case people have more overscan than me. Pretty tough job tho, and 5% overscan is a lot :/

I think I'm done with the wallpaper. Wanted to keep it quite simple. Feels a bit empty, but with the icons it's hopefully better

Have to work on all the sub-icons and some other minor stuff. I've also noticed that the text under major XMB icons overlaps the icons themselves a bit. Doesn't disturb me, but I don't know if people would like it. Oh well, still a long way to go. I wish I could work as fast as m0dus :p

edit : here's how it looks so far. And yes, I completely suck at taking photos XD

8705zrn.jpg

Speevy

Banned
I think I might split the difference between what quality Windsor Mckay stuff I can find and the game.

This one's too good not to use.

Little_Nemo_purple_blanket.jpg

Icon:

Raist

Banned
Oh god, m0dus is at it again.

By the time I finish LBP's theme, he would have make 10 themes XD

Can't wait to see your FF theme man.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Raist said:
I have some overscan on my TV and it looked ok. Still, I move some parts a bit in case people have more overscan than me. Pretty tough job tho, and 5% overscan is a lot :/
8705zrn.jpg

That looks great! I did like the previous background more though. :D

Top Bottom