• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Mario Galaxy Review Thread (1up - 9.5, EuroG - 10, GI - 9.75)

MrDaravon

[Nintex] said:
so.. why no 10?

Only in the latter half of the game does the design falter -- a copy-and-paste level here, too much doodad collecting there, all topped off with a mind-bending final level that might be a bit too demanding for neophyte players who cut their teeth on Nintendogs and Brain Age.

?

Edit: The average user rating on 1up is 4.7 :lol

yoopoo

Banned
In short, Galaxy is one of the most impressive, engrossing games in recent memory -- and quite the contrast to the rest of this year's triple-A gaming crop, which tends toward the dark, the M-rated, and the first-person perspective. Gaming may be growing up (per se), but gamers will always appreciate beautifully polished gameplay and inventive design...even if it's sugarcoated with squeaky baby stars and a goofy cartoon of a hero. Galaxy proves that Mario matters just as much today as he did 25 years ago, and that makes him one of a kind in this medium. But don't play Galaxy simply because Mario is the timeless godfather of gaming. No, play Galaxy because it's fantastic.

Wow, this is the best game I've never played.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Des0lar said:
PEOPLE.
This reads like a 11/10, so basically Mario Galaxy is > than everything else.

I really think that in some reviewers mind there is a higher bar to clear for a Wii game to get a 10. I don't think its a conspiracy or any bullshit like that, just subconsciously being wowed be graphics makes it easier to forgive other flaws.

Krowley

Great score.

For reference, I'm pretty sure This is the same reviewer that gave TP a 10 (which I think it handily deserved). I'd be interested in hearing why mario scored lower. TP was an incredibly awesome game, and I don't nessecarily expect mario to pass it for me, but based on videos and impressions, I think it has a decent shot.

Gigglepoo

And some people thought 1up would spend an entire paragraph ripping the graphics.

I finished Ratchet last night and I'm counting down the days until this comes out. Sounds amazing.

Tideas

Banned
I don't get it. Why do people go "So basically, 'xxx' game is better than 'yyy' game."

Do they do it cuz they think it's smart? Funny? Annoying?

I dunno about everyone else, but anyone who say something like so just gets automatically put into my ignore list.

TDG

Banned
Guybrush Threepwood said:
This is going to be another case of [people] looking at the review score, ignoring the review completely, and complaining, isn't it?
What a brave prediction! How did you come to this conclusion?

Tieno

Tideas said:
I don't get it. Why do people go "So basically, 'xxx' game is better than 'yyy' game."

I dunno about everyone else, but anyone who say something like so just gets automatically put into my ignore list.
Wario64 did it a couple of times and it was funny, but it's been done so much it's gone from funny to damn annoying and litters the thread. First couple of pages of review threads can be thrown into the trash, ifnot the entire thread altogether.

Barakov

Guybrush Threepwood said:
This is going to be another case of [people] looking at the review score, ignoring the review completely, and complaining, isn't it?

That is exactly what is happening. And what will continue to happen until this topic is closed.

Tideas said:

I wouldn't go so far as to put them on ignore, but it is getting old.

Borys

Banned
LOLOLOLOLOL.jpg

Awesome-wowsome.

MrDaravon

Tideas said:

It used to be sorta funny, but now it's just really stupid and annoying. That and spoiler tagging scores seriously need to be bannable.

Feep

Banned
I love...LOVE...not kidding...when the only reason points are removed is because of intense difficulty, and that seemed to be one of Parish's primary complaints. It's like, I can take the -0.5 he applied, and change that to a +0.5, and thus the true score is 10.5.

AWESOME.

Borys said:
Halo 2 Xbox 10.0 11/06/2004
Final Fantasy X PS2 10.0
Grand Theft Auto III PS2 10.0
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City PS2 10.0
NBA 2K2 PS2 10.0
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 PS2 10.0
Bookworm Deluxe PC 10.0
Decisive Battles of World War II: Korsun Pocket PC 10.0
Homeworld: Cataclysm PC 10.0
Madden NFL 2003 PC 10.0
Medieval: Total War PC 10.0
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic PC 10.0
The Sims: Unleashed PC 10.0
Grand Theft Auto Double Pack Xbox 10.0
Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich PC 10.0
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory PC 10.0
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess GC 10.0
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay -- Developer's Cut PC 10.0
Silent Hunter III PC 10.0 06/27/2005
Company of Heroes PC 10.0 09/14/2006
Bully PS2 10.0 10/17/2006

:lol :lol

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
He didn't complain about a SINGLE thing in that review. It really bugs me that all these reviewers are literally saying how absolutely, unbelievably fantastic the game is yet shaft it in the score.

I mean, it's a great score, but it just contradicts itself.

edit

Okay, so he complained about difficulty.

Dumb.

Amir0x

Banned
oh it's a Jeremy Parish review

but the only thing that makes this noteworthy at all (since it's a great score for a great game) is his "why Mario Galaxy may be worth a 10 from 1up" article. There really in retrospect seems to be no other reason to have that article but to stir controversy, and I hate 1up conspiracy theories!

LukeSmith

Feep said:
I love...LOVE...not kidding...when the only reason points are removed is because of intense difficulty, and that seemed to be one of Parish's primary complaints. It's like, I can take the -0.5 he applied, and change that to a +0.5, and thus the true score is 10.5.

AWESOME.

If you were going to buy it anyway, why does it matter?

immy

Banned
Tieno said:
Wario64 did it a couple of times and it was funny, but it's been done so much it's gone from funny to damn annoying and litters the thread. First couple of pages of review threads can be thrown into the trash, ifnot the entire thread altogether.

everyone copy's wario!

ksamedi

Gigglepoo said:
And some people thought 1up would spend an entire paragraph ripping the graphics.

I finished Ratchet last night and I'm counting down the days until this comes out. Sounds amazing.

So that game any good?

Tideas

Banned
brandonh83 said:
I wouldn't go so far as to put them on ignore, but it is getting old.

no, cuz it's like, annoying. Can't you have anything better to say than to say that? It's like, are they trying to be cool cuz it's an "in" thing? No, not really.

So yeah, most people would automatically be put on the ignore list, cuz if you got the pretention to write that, then I'm pretty sure other stuff coming out of their mouth ain't gonna be more intelligent

Fidelis Hodie said:
He didn't complain about a SINGLE thing in that review. It really bugs me that all these reviewers are literally saying how absolutely, unbelievably fantastic the game is yet shaft it in the score.

Actually he mentioned the Wii's inability to display HD images, and noted that if the Wii were able to do so the game could've looked a lot better. And I agree. Still, I wouldn't let that bring the score down (not saying this is why he gave it a 9.5).

Tideas said:
no, cuz it's like, annoying. Can't you have anything better to say than to say that? It's like, are they trying to be cool cuz it's an "in" thing? No, not really.

:lol dude I'm with you but to put everyone that does it on ignore would be eradicating 78% of the posters on GAF.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Borys said:
So basically...

Halo 2 Xbox 10.0 11/06/2004
Final Fantasy X PS2 10.0
Grand Theft Auto III PS2 10.0
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City PS2 10.0
NBA 2K2 PS2 10.0
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 PS2 10.0
Bookworm Deluxe PC 10.0
Decisive Battles of World War II: Korsun Pocket PC 10.0
Homeworld: Cataclysm PC 10.0
Madden NFL 2003 PC 10.0
Medieval: Total War PC 10.0
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic PC 10.0
The Sims: Unleashed PC 10.0
Grand Theft Auto Double Pack Xbox 10.0
Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich PC 10.0
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory PC 10.0
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess GC 10.0
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay -- Developer's Cut PC 10.0
Silent Hunter III PC 10.0 06/27/2005
Company of Heroes PC 10.0 09/14/2006
Bully PS2 10.0 10/17/2006

...are better than SMG.

PC gaming is back motherfuckas

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I wish Dan Dan Fan Fan Shoe Shoe would've reviewed it.
This thread would be AT LEAST 10+ pages by now. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Amir0x said:
oh it's a Jeremy Parish review

but the only thing that makes this noteworthy at all (since it's a great score for a great game) is his "why Mario Galaxy may be worth a 10 from 1up" article. There really in retrospect seems to be no other reason to have that article but to stir controversy, and I hate 1up conspiracy theories!

They ended up editing the article to remove all references to a 10 score. :lol

sk3tch

Fidelis Hodie said:

Did you read it? He knocked some "copy and paste" levels...essentially it seemed to peter out towards the end a tad with the innovation.

It's a 9.5 of 10! Haha.

traveler

Not Wario
This, in particular, sounds incredibly reassuring:

"Mario still does plenty of collecting. But those elements are far less obtrusive here than we've been conditioned to expect by 10 years of lazy mimicry. Coins simply offer extra lives (plus bragging rights), and while unlocking certain stages requires a fair number of star bits -- candy-like fragments sprinkled throughout the world -- they're abundant enough that you'll meet your requirements in the course of normal play. The previous games' red (or blue) coin collecting missions do return in the form of purple coins -- but these stages aren't required to beat the game"

Snah

Banned
WTF?

Honestly, I can't stand 1up.

Their reviews make NO SENSE.

Mario Galaxy's review had nothing but glowing praise. I didn't even read a SINGLE NEGATIVE COMPLAINT IN THE ENTIRE REVIEW.

HOW IS THE 9.5 JUSTIFIED? WHAT DID THEY TAKE OFF FOR?

I don't mind the score, but I mind the review + score, in which it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Same thing with GameSpot and their Ratchet review.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Fidelis Hodie said:

Hey, it's for Wii. :p

No6

Does the game spray acid in your face like my other Wii games? I really don't understand why Nintendo chose to put an acid sprayer in their console, but I'm hoping that SMG bucks the trend of spraying me in the face with acid.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Fidelis Hodie said:

9.5 isn't a "shafted" score.

skip

Snah said:
WTF?

Honestly, I can't stand 1up.

Their reviews make NO SENSE.

Mario Galaxy's review had nothing but glowing praise. I didn't even read a SINGLE NEGATIVE COMPLAINT IN THE ENTIRE REVIEW.

HOW IS THE 9.5 JUSTIFIED? WHAT DID THEY TAKE OFF FOR?

I don't mind the score, but I mind the review + score, in which it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Same thing with GameSpot and their Ratchet review.

stop reading our site, please.

Top Bottom