• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Mario Galaxy Review Thread (1up - 9.5, EuroG - 10, GI - 9.75)

traveler

Not Wario
Snah said:
Well do you think they could have EXPRESSED that in the review itself?

Even some games that have received perfect 10s have had ample criticism within the text itself; yet, here we have Mario Galaxy that receives nothing but positive, glowing praise and it gets docked half a point for reasons unjustified.

Again - I don't care about the score, but the text combined with the score is just ridiculous.

Yes, you do. That's exactly what you're saying- "I don't have any problem with the text, just how it relates to the score." Phrasing it differently doesn't change that. Also, he had complaints- they have been quoted in this very thread- take the time to read them before you call unfair representation on the score.

Ace 8095

Snah said:

Even some games that have received perfect 10s have had ample criticism within the text itself; yet, here we have Mario Galaxy that receives nothing but positive, glowing praise and it gets docked half a point for reasons unjustified.

Again - I don't care about the score, but the text combined with the score is just ridiculous.

Only in the latter half of the game does the design falter -- a copy-and-paste level here, too much doodad collecting there, all topped off with a mind-bending final level that might be a bit too demanding for neophyte players who cut their teeth on Nintendogs and Brain Age.

Text justifying why Parish felt the game did not deserve a 10.

gray_fox224

Fidelis Hodie said:
He didn't complain about a SINGLE thing in that review. It really bugs me that all these reviewers are literally saying how absolutely, unbelievably fantastic the game is yet shaft it in the score.

I mean, it's a great score, but it just contradicts itself.

edit

Okay, so he complained about difficulty.

Dumb.

Stop and rethink your argument.

This, coming from Parish, actually makes the game better than I assumed it was going to be. And hopefully he is stopping the dumb 10s that are given out like candy on the site :p.

SantaC

Gold Member
1up said:
It doesn't invent new kinds of gameplay

It doesn't invent new gameplay methods?! Are you fucking kidding me! I have only played maybe 15% of the game so far, but there are already uses with the wiimote that has not been done in earlier games.

That isn't new kinds of gameplay? Then what the hell is.

edit: I am not pissed about the score at all, I just found that sentence plain wrong. Where are you toastyfrog?

Of course this is a great score, but something has to be said about the fact that 1up recently gave Xbox 360 shooters Bioshock, Orange Box, Gears of War, and even freaking Halo 3 all 10.0's, but then gave Galaxy a 9.5 and Ratchet and Clank for PS3 an 8.5.

Isn't it obvious these people have the rehashed shooter genre stuck way too far up their asses? Amazing magical fun is apparently below ten years straight of seeing a gun up on your screen, and shooting enemies with it.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
1UP Review said:
even if it's sugarcoated with squeaky baby stars and a goofy cartoon of a hero.

I despise the use of baby sounds in games. It just annoys the hell out of me. There should be an option in the menu that says "Disable Baby Sounds".

Great review. I am ignoring the score.

Grecco

At the risk of sounding like a whiny manbaby..

The Text does make it sound even better than a 9.5. Im super happy about the score but admitedly puzzled about that .5

Parish complains about "Wanting better HD output from the Wii" but thats just a copout to me. JMO

AZ Greg

So basically the 360 has had 4 better games than Mario Galaxy released in the last 2 and a half months!

Eteric Rice

If this game doesn't deserve a 10, then neither does GEOW, GOW, Halo 3, etc. Hell, Halo 3 has plenty of flaws from my understanding.

Wow. This thread is degenerating too much and too fast. Much above my predictions...

Maybe I would have not posted what I've written in the first page. :lol :lol

Nice score...!

WHAT THE FUCK! PEOPLE ARE PISSED ABOUT 9.5!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the deal: 1UP = Virtua Fighter fanboys. After listening to their story at 1UP Show, i don't think it deserves a 10 since the online sounds equal/less than that of Tekken:DR (Lack of Spectator mode = No No), but they all love VF5 and it was bound to get a fantastic score if it includes Online mode.

Now can be please celebrate the excitement that is Super Mario Galaxy?!!!!! :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Grecco said:
At the risk of sounding like a whiny manbaby..

The Text does make it sound even better than a 9.5. Im super happy about the score but admitedly puzzled about that .5

Parish complains about "Wanting better HD output from the Wii" but thats just a copout to me. JMO

Just think about it this way--the game is a mere half-point away from complete and unequivocal perfection. A measly half-point. I can get that in Pac-Man in like a millisecond, not to mention other games.

gray_fox224

Snah said:
WTF?

Honestly, I can't stand 1up.

Their reviews make NO SENSE.

Mario Galaxy's review had nothing but glowing praise. I didn't even read a SINGLE NEGATIVE COMPLAINT IN THE ENTIRE REVIEW.

HOW IS THE 9.5 JUSTIFIED? WHAT DID THEY TAKE OFF FOR?

I don't mind the score, but I mind the review + score, in which it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Same thing with GameSpot and their Ratchet review.

STFU and GTFO. It's people like you with this premise that makes us all look like idiots. Stop revolving your gaming habits on someone's review.

Tieno

Eteric Rice said:
If this game doesn't deserve a 10, then neither does GEOW, GOW, Halo 3, etc. Hell, Halo 3 has plenty of flaws from my understanding.
Jeremy gave Halo 3 a 9.0, so you can put your tin foil hat away.

traveler

Not Wario
TheKingsCrown said:
This, coming from Parish, actually makes the game better than I assumed it was going to be. And hopefully he is stopping the dumb 10s that are given out like candy on the site :p.

I fucking hate this "You can only give out so many tens in x amount of time or they loose their meaning" mentality that you guys have going on around here. Bioshock was a ten for me, Halo 3 was a ten for me, Half Life 2: Episode 2 was a ten- I'm not going to friggin give an inaccurate representation of my feelings because those games happened to come out in relatively close proximity to one another. That is unfathomably idiotic.

No6

TheKingsCrown said:
Which dumb 10s? I agree with all of them. Even the ones that don't exist.

especially those

J-Rzez

I agree something has to be done about the scoring system... The titles scoring above it are an indication because a bit of those don't deserve those scores one bit... Like I said before, do it with a bunch of text, and let the review be compared to a meal... 5 = Ultimate Surf'n'Turf dinner from your favorite restaurant, 3 = Great Burger, 1 = Anything from Arby's... This way, people can still say sometimes they'd prefer a burger to lobster and steak, and if anyone says they'd prefer something from Arby's than anything else on that list, they're a fanboy...

That said, I would love to see that Uncharted came together and score a 10, along with 3 10's from EGM to see the absolute shit-storm of meltdowns that it would produce here... :lol

kottila

skip said:
I had those references removed because I didn't see that article before it went up, and it was contradictory to our review stance that 10 isn't "perfect."

So basically, Mario is even worse than "not perfect"?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
traveler said:
Parish gave Halo 3 a 9. Clearly he would have scored it better had it been a colorful platformer for kids. Stupid bias against mature titles.
Halo 3 is just a colorful shooter for kids, so it's 2/3 there.

Trax416 said:
Read the review.

Parish writes some of the best reviews in the entire industry and doesn't give 10's away like nothing.

Don't look at what the COMPANY gave other games look at what the reviewer did.

NeoFAQ's confirmed.

Wow, that was a really well written review - well organized, concise but revealing. Good stuff. Also, I don't own a Wii (or any next-gen system for that matter) but I simply cannot wrap my head around people complaining about this score. Not only have none of you played the game, but it's .5 away from a perfect 10. Shut up.

Sounds fantastic to me. The only part that makes me pause for a second is this part:
Only in the latter half of the game does the design falter -- a copy-and-paste level here, too much doodad collecting there.
I enjoyed both Mario 64 and Sunshine, but with both of them beating the end game ended up being a bit of a drudge compared to the feeling of “oh wow!” that the first five or ten hours of the game gave me. Still the review makes the level designs and game mechanics sound varied enough to keep this from being an issue with Galaxy. It just struck me as a little strange for him to be praising the crazy variable level design while also chiding the game for copy-and-paste levels.

skip

cortland_andrus said:
Of course this is a great score, but something has to be said about the fact that 1up recently gave Xbox 360 shooters Bioshock, Orange Box, Gears of War, and even freaking Halo 3 all 10.0's, but then gave Galaxy a 9.5 and Ratchet and Clank for PS3 an 8.5.

Isn't it obvious these people have the rehashed shooter genre stuck way too far up their asses? Amazing magical fun is apparently below ten years straight of seeing a gun up on your screen, and shooting enemies with it.

nick suttner, gave halo 3 a 10, orange box a 9.5, and ratchet a 9.5. jeremy parish gave mario a 9.5, and halo 3 a 9.0. I gave BioShock a 10, but wasn't on any of those other reviews. gears of war came out last year.

different people. different games. different scores.

Kuroyume

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

Based on what? You playing the game a few weeks into the future?

Krowley

Snah said:

There were complaints

Only in the latter half of the game does the design falter -- a copy-and-paste level here, too much doodad collecting there, all topped off with a mind-bending final level that might be a bit too demanding for neophyte players who cut their teeth on Nintendogs and Brain Age.

so basicly the last level might be a bit too difficult and there were some tasks in the latter part of the game that repeated something from earlier and a bit too much collection towards the end.

Jirotrom

Eteric Rice said:
he gave Halo 3 a 9... you people I swear.

sphinx

the piano man
who was the one who said we were on the verge, right on the last bit of the edge, ready to get the backslash from the overhype Mario Galaxy generated??

was it my twin "the_sphinx"?

whoever it was, he was SOOO right.

Brace yourselves, mario threads are about to appear and turn into REAL disasters.

Snah

Banned
traveler said:
Yes, you do. That's exactly what you're saying- "I don't have any problem with the text, just how it relates to the score." Phrasing it differently doesn't change that. Also, he had complaints- they have been quoted in this very thread- take the time to read them before you call unfair representation on the score.

No, no I don't. Did you read my post? I care about the two in tandem.

If the text of the article justified a 9.5, I'd be more willing to accept the score itself.

Text justifying why Parish felt the game did not deserve a 10.

I honestly do not find those comments to justify the score. No '10' game is going to be without its issues, but when a review is so overwhelmingly positive I can't really see how they can dock .5 points.

And that brings me to this point:

Agreed. And the reviews of all of these titles had criticisms, but the overwhelming text of the review was positive. There weren't any huge marks that would dock them .5 points.

I don't understand the disparity here where games like Mario get a 9.5 and Ratchet get an 8.5, while all of these other mature titles have received perfect 10s.

Perhaps more publications should have the 'panel' review scheme similar to EGM so you can get a broader, more appropriate sample rather than having it slant too much due to one person's perspective and relative interests and how they personally scale games.

Mario Sunshine averaged a 92% at gamerankings even though it was love/hate.

Seems like Galaxy took into account what people liked and also hated about Sunshine and tried to fix it.

Eteric Rice

sphinx said:
who was the one who said we were on the verge, right on the last bit of the edge, ready to get the backslash from the overhype Mario Galaxy generated??

was it my twin "the_sphinx"?

whoever it was, he was SOOO right.

Brace yourselves, mario threads are about to appear and turn into REAL disasters.

Gamespot is going to be the one that does it.

Unless somehow Gerstman doesn't hate it.

No6

skip said:
nick suttner, gave halo 3 a 10, orange box a 9.5, and ratchet a 9.5. jeremy parish gave mario a 9.5, and halo 3 a 9.0. I gave BioShock a 10, but wasn't on any of those other reviews. gears of war came out last year.

different people. different games. different scores.
Do you put your scores on scantrons?

Tideas

Banned
kottila said:
So basically, Mario is even worse than "not perfect"?

see, like this guy. If he had the thoughts to think up that line, do you think he can really say anything else that's of slightly intelligence? nope.

Ignore.

traveler

Not Wario
cortland_andrus said:

Once again, Parish gave Halo 3 a 9, which is lower than this score. Quit acting like there is some hive mind at 1up that does all the reviews- they're different people with different opinions. Is that really too hard to understand?

(And what is with your ridiculous implication that shooters are somehow opposed to "magical fun?")

Top Bottom