• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Mario Galaxy Review Thread (1up - 9.5, EuroG - 10, GI - 9.75)

No6

traveler said:
Once again, Parish gave Halo 3 a ten, which is lower than this score. Quit acting like there is some hive mind at 1up that does all the reviews- they're different people with different opinions. Is that really too hard to understand?

(And what is with your ridiculous implication that shooters are somehow opposed to "magical fun?")
The best part is how you actually wrote the word "ten".

ksamedi

Well, Jeremy of all reviewers on 1up is the one who loves Nintendo the most I think, so theres no thing as bias here. I like his writing and reviews a lot though, and a 9.5 on his scale is amazing. The review is well written too, I can't imagine how anyone would skip the game after reading that review.

Concept17

Wario64 said:
So basically God of War is better than Super Mario Galaxy

fuck yeah

EDIT: This is better than SMG, according to 1up.

media

skip

Kuroyume said:
skip/1up keep doing the great work. I agree with you guys about 99% of the time. Keep it up.

:thumbsup

we have some fun stuff planned for next year, including websites that actually work.

and more podcasts.

skip said:
I had those references removed because I didn't see that article before it went up, and it was contradictory to our review stance that 10 isn't "perfect."

1up really doesn't want to be seen as credible, I see.

KingJ2002

2007 = one of the best years in gaming history.

i've never seein so much quality drop at the same time... it's hard to keep up.

Snah

Banned
gray_fox224 said:
STFU and GTFO. It's people like you with this premise that makes us all look like idiots. Stop revolving your gaming habits on someone's review.

I'm not revolving my habits on ANY person's review.

I'm still getting Mario Galaxy regardless of some meaningless fluctuations in score. I just find the actual text of the review, and the score, to be a bit bewildering.

chemicals

I felt compelled to buy a N64 just to play Super Mario 64. The price of the console was completely justified by my desire to OWN the game and be able to play it at will.

I bought a Gamecube as soon as Sunshine came out and I feel like the price of the console was totally justified if only for the fact that it allowed me to OWN and PLAY THROUGH Sunshine..

the same thing has now happened with Galaxy. I now want a Wii (although I've bashed it on many occasions) JUST to own and play through Galaxy. Oh yes.. I will own this game and play through every nook and cranny of it. Woot.

Ace 8095

traveler said:
Once again, Parish gave Halo 3 a ten, which is lower than this score. Quit acting like there is some hive mind at 1up that does all the reviews- they're different people with different opinions. Is that really too hard to understand?

(And what is with your ridiculous implication that shooters are somehow opposed to "magical fun?")
Parish gave Halo 3 a 9.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Only in the latter half of the game does the design falter -- a copy-and-paste level here, too much doodad collecting there...

eep. advance reviews of big nintendo games are almost completely useless, but i hope this little complaint doesn't actually betoken the kind of filler-content that was so harmful to sunshine, wind waker, and tp

blame space said:
:lol Perfect.

Seriously, a lot of people in this thread need to grow up. THE BEST MARIO OF THE LAST 10 YEARS IS COMING OUT SOON!

Nobody gives a fuck about that. If there is a semblance of bitching to be had about any minute detail, the internet will scrounge for it.

Koomaster

Awesome review; I'm really getting anxious waiting for the game to come out now. Sounds like Nintendo has struck a good balance with the game; giving enough variety for people to beat it the easy way, yet giving a lot of challenges for people who like that. I'm going to end up collecting and seeing everything tho. I'm so hyped for Super Mario Galaxy to come out! :)

Eteric Rice said:
If this game doesn't deserve a 10, then neither does GEOW, GOW, Halo 3, etc. Hell, Halo 3 has plenty of flaws from my understanding.

I think that Parish is trying to say that 9.5>10

The same way saying "This game is genius" does not have as much impact as saying "This game borders on genius"

Parish gave the game a great score and it'll be the best Mario game since Mario 3. That's acceptable to me. What isn't acceptable is what Gamespot is going to score it. Save your funny/idiotic/clever/annoying posts for that particular occasion. This isn't worth it. Parish is a good reviewer.

Blackface

Banned
I love how all the 10 year olds on gaf think because a game doesn't get a 10 it's bad.

Especially when 99 percent haven't even played it.

Bebpo

Banned
Sounds about right score.

The game is perfect but the camera is not perfect, just good most of the time, so 9.5ish but still GoTY.

beef3483

If 1UP didn't give the 360 tens like they were candy, it wouldn't mean anything. We would just say that they are tougher than most reviewers. Orange Box, Bioshock, Gears of War, Halo 3, and Virtua Fighter 5 all got tens. And they're saying Galaxy isn't in the same class?

I think the issue is 1UP more than it is the score.

Jirotrom

drohne said:
eep. advance reviews of big nintendo games are almost completely useless, but i hope this little complaint doesn't actually betoken the kind of filler-content that was so harmful to sunshine, wind waker, and tp
I hope so too becasue this means the drive that was in the first 20 stars I got may leave towards the end... though the secret stages seem to be where the fun is and I don't think Parish has retrieved all 120.

SantaC

Gold Member
drohne said:

nah

- Wind Waker falters in the 2nd half, yes I agree.
- Sunshine falters in the 2nd half, no I dont agree because it's the same the whole game.
- TP falters in the 2nd half, the game itself falters from the start :p

Galaxy is brilliant so far. I for one haven't had a collecthaton with any red or blue coins etc.

Bidermaier said:
I think that Parish is trying to say that 9.5>10

The same way saying "This game is genius" does not have as much impact as saying "This game borders on genius"
That is honestly how I view this. I agree; I think he's doing this. Which is fine in my book.

Who reviewed RE4 and what did they give it? That was the last game (besides just recently playing Half Life 2) that I played that would come close to a 10 in my book.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Bebpo said:
Sounds about right score.

The game is perfect but the camera is not perfect, just good most of the time,

*sigh*

camera issues again? You think they would've learned from sunshine. ugh

this is definitely gonna have to be a rental for me

Top Bottom