• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TEKKEN 6 "Who needs a FADC? We got RAGE!" Thread

YuWaI.jpg

Quickly came up with OT banner,

Sayah

GrayFoxPL said:
Sorry but the "|OT|" looks really bad and is it my eyes or it's not straight at all?
Looks straight to me. How should I fix it? Different color?

StalkerUKCG said:
If someone gives me a basic dimensions ill have a go at doing a banner
900X400
AAK said:
Finally FINISHED it...Damn I spent tooo much time on this...
damn you zlatko for tricking me into doing this! :p
I think I'll upload it all tomorrow. Hope it'll help GAF embrace the series.

I hope formatting it won't be too difficult :/

Now is the time to use this. :D

itRzfVS2Xqf2w.gif

AAK said:
Looking at that gave me other ideas for a slogan :D.

That looks great actually. What does everybody else think?

blame my art student composition crap education, but that upper right area with the lights is off setting.

Maybe throw JayCee in there or something or move the Mishimas around

but really, its fine, not complaints.

MightyKAC

AAK said:
Looking at that gave me other ideas for a slogan :D.

That looks great actually. What does everybody else think?

Looks really good. I like that it highlights a lot of the new cast.

With that said though I'd say it could use a bit more Jun :).

Really the banner was something i knocked up relatively quickly and it was the first version

I agree the lighting is off in the right corner, over effects on the logo's are their solely to draw the eye, maybe i could tone them down but making the title's pop was key its full of different textures and because of that your eyes dont filter them properly.

I used the first few misc renders i could after i had gotten devil kaz, devil jin, heihachi and jinpachi in.

Im more than willing to make a second version if requested

AAK

Dunno if you received the image I sent, but if you could try that Jun artwork, it would be great, along with whatever you can improve :)

NOTE TO ANYONE DOING OT's IN THE FUTURE, don't do your drafts in word! The quotation marks in Word aren't recognized in the forum text.... I'm having to manually replace each quotation right now and it's such a pain & waste of time! :/ Shoulda used notepad :(

LowParry

Those banners are pretty damn cool. Though I'd personally take out the lesser known characters (Jinpachi, Devil (insert name) ) and put in more of the iconic faces of Tekken in. The young Heihachi is a must along with Jun and Jayce imo. Kazuya, King, Paul, Law, Ling, Nina, Lili, and Bryan would me my other choices to pick from.

Looking forward to seeing an OT in place on the gaming side. Hype!

AAK

Okay Brilliant, I never thought of that. It has the ENTIRE Mishima family, Kaz, Hei, Jin, Jinpachi, Lars, Jun, and even the adopted Lee!

And even has True Ogre as well! Did you see my PM of the jun scan though?

I'm planning on using both yours and Sayah's banners though ;) This thread should be in the GD within 2 hours :D keep a lookout.

But I have to warn you guys... it's really messy & dirty. This being my first OT I had no structure, so I apologize in advance, I hope for what I lack in ogranization and clarity it'll make up with in Content.

zlatko

Banned
So the TTT2 thread is finally in the works? I'm excited to see what is cooked up.

I like the first banner on this page a bit more than the second one with the profile pictures.

I wish I had photo creation skills so I could partake and contribute. If I had a suggestion it would be to do an image with the ring in the middle, the logo for TEKKEN in the middle of the ring, and on the left and right of it, set up images of characters, or get them surrounding the ring.

Either way, super stoked. TTT2 get hype! :)

Sayah

StalkerUKCG said:
How about this

WgD0J.png
If it's possible, is there another picture you can use for Jun? That one looks off for some reason. Really nice choice with the Lee picture. Love that smirk. Overall, though, I think it's great.

Sayah

AAK said:
Okay Brilliant, I never thought of that. It has the ENTIRE Mishima family, Kaz, Hei, Jin, Jinpachi, Lars, Jun, and even the adopted Lee!

And even has True Ogre as well! Did you see my PM of the jun scan though?

I'm planning on using both yours and Sayah's banners though ;) This thread should be in the GD within 2 hours :D keep a lookout.

But I have to warn you guys... it's really messy & dirty. This being my first OT I had no structure, so I apologize in advance, I hope for what I lack in ogranization and clarity it'll make up with in Content.
My body is ready.

AAK

It's cool guys, thanks a million for all the help. I'm just formatting the thread, it should be uploaded soon. No need for anymore revisions :)

notworksafe

Wasn't sure if this thread was the best place to ask about T6 or the other, but I figured I'd try this one.

There's a small local Tekken tourney here tomorrow and I want to enter it (just for fun, it is $1 only) but I don't know squat about Tekken after TTT.

Are there easy characters to learn? Lili looks pretty cool to me, but if there is a better character to learn on I can try them. What are some good Tekken 6 resources to check out?

EDIT: I should add that I'm mostly a 2D fighter person and I know those well, but I do have some experience with SC series and TTT if those help.

GrayFoxPL

notworksafe said:
Wasn't sure if this thread was the best place to ask about T6 or the other, but I figured I'd try this one.

There's a small local Tekken tourney here tomorrow and I want to enter it (just for fun, it is $1 only) but I don't know squat about Tekken after TTT.

Are there easy characters to learn? Lili looks pretty cool to me, but if there is a better character to learn on I can try them. What are some good Tekken 6 resources to check out?

EDIT: I should add that I'm mostly a 2D fighter person and I know those well, but I do have some experience with SC series and TTT if those help.

Wait, you want to learn a character in 1 day?

Hmm, try Paul and let the deathfist be with you.

notworksafe

Well I don't want to be a master in one day. It's just a Tekken local casual thing + tourney, SFxTK, and TTT2 are combining to get me interested in playing Tekken.

Sayah

notworksafe said:

If you haven't touched Tekken in a while, then it won't just be about learning a character. There's also a lot of game mechanics that you have to be familiarized with such as movement, parries, sidestepping, etc. There's like 10 ways of getting up after being knocked down. Use the wrong way and you'll be stuck in a juggle fest (granted the person facing you is experienced). Just tap square consistently anytime you are stuck in anything, lol. That's not the most sound advice but there won't be enough time to learn everything. Also do remember that you block in Tekken by standing still for high and mid attacks and press the down key for low attacks. Not exactly the same method as 2D fighters.

As far as characters, Lili is quite the easy character to use but I would suggest Alisa first. Whoever you decide to use, make sure you go into their command list and look through each move. Pressing X on any move in the command list shows you how to do it. 2D fighters usually don't offer that feature and you should be aware of it. At the end of the command list, there should be sample combos. Learn whatever you can from there or use them as inspiration to come up with your own. Takes a lot of experimenting.

notworksafe

Watched the recommended video and it was packed with info...some of it even stuck with me! Also got the LUYG app and that has all kinds of combos (strings?) in it as well. Very helpful. Combos in this game are easier to pull off than they look as well. That's nice.

I tried a few different characters when playing with local good Tekken players last night (Paul, Marduk, Lili, Alisa, Baek, Dragunov) and I'm liking Lili the most of all of them. I'll give everyone a shot though. I was also watching the LYUG character tutorials and they seem pretty helpful. Are there any good forum threads or tutorial vids for Lili? I was poking around on Tekken Zaibatsu forums and all they have for her are combo strings, but no theory or anything like that.

But yeah, really enjoying my time with Tekken 6. Since Mahvel is such a bummer I don't really have a second fighter to play but I can see myself sinking some time into T6.

AAK

ack! 12 hours late, didn't know this thread was still active, I assumed the new one would replace it lol.

Tekken is much different from 2D fighters in the sense where each character has vastly different tools. In Tekken every character has the same tools, but the specific properties of each tool is what ranks them.

For example- every character has a jab, Bob's jab has the furthest reach in hitbox so he can control the spacing far better than someone like Ling.
-Everyone has a sidestep, but Lars/Lili have the farther one than the others. Everyone has a backdash cancel, but some characters can do their backdash cancel (has to do with their stance) faster Like Alisa/Lili.
-Every character has moves that crush/dodge. Some characters have crush moves that can lead to launchers like Lar's u/f+3, Lili's d/b+4, and too much of Nina's movelist (Yeah screw your Hayashita step Sayah!)
-Every character has certain Low pokes that help with their mixup game. Most of the cast have theirs as unsafe while a character like Alisa and her (pretty much safe) d/b+3 make it probably the best low poke in the game.

And the list goes so on for other things like grabs, juggle filler, wall carry, tracking moves, homing moves, wall combo's, stun inducing moves, etc. It's all about seeing what your character excels at pretty much.

Lili is probably the easiest because the execution required to perform her moves is by far the easiest out of all the cast. Her major strength overall is that she has some monstrous juggle damage especially with walls. And second, is that so many of her moves can crush (dodge) other character's moves which makes her very deadly. Her only weakness if that she's very linear and can be sidestepped frequently. But sidestepping is a tactic that most people don't use in their novice state so it's still a good thing to use :)

How did the tournie go???

notworksafe

Should I be talking in the other thread? I thought that one was TTT2 specific so I wasn't sure. It's a good OT too...got me playing Tekken again haha.

As far as the tourney, I went 0-2 as expected. I did win a set in each of my matches though. One against another first timer and one against a very skilled player. I beat the good player's Devil Jin pretty well, but then he broke out his main (Julia) and gave me a solid beatdown.

So it is good to know that T6 has characters sharing many moves. So general strategy is the same for everyone, but each character focuses on their strengths while playing? I must say that I like that idea much more than SF-style.

I was getting some tips from the better players there yesterday, mostly focusing on Lili's very good sidestep (which I used to good effect) and her db+1, rising 4 which was also very helpful. I really enjoyed myself last night and will probably be getting more local casuals after work today.

So is there a "most important aspect" I should be focusing on as I start out? I know I need to start working on backdash cancelling, but should I be working on memorizing strings? Or something else? I'll work on db+3 as well today when playing and sidestepping as well.

And thanks for being helpful to a new-ish guy learning all of this. :)

Doomshine

Movement and knowing how to get up is very important. You will get re-juggled a lot if you get up at the wrong time and movement obviously opens up opportunities for big damage.

Knowing your punishers is also important, otherwise your opponent will start abusing certain moves if he notices that you don't know how to punish them.

Every character usually has around 10 moves that you should focus on while others are more situational, gimmicky or even useless. Knowing these moves makes it a little easier to start playing a character since you don't have to randomly pick from 40+ moves. Obviously you shouldn't become predictable either and NEVER use any other moves.

All the character forums on Tekken Zaibatsu should have a top 10 moves thread, list of punishers and combos. I personally like to check out the video threads as well. Watching high level play usually gives you a good idea of how to play to your character's strenghts.

Hope that makes sense, I'm a little tired D;

AAK

You're welcome brother! Always a pleasure talking about Tekken :) Happy to see you enjoying yourself!

I guess the same thing I told TreIII in the other forum, good fundamentals from 2D games still transfer onto Tekken. Specifically, forcing people to respect your space.

Here's some videos of Justin Wong playing TTT2 @ comic-con after a near 6-9 year hiatus of playing the game and doing VERY well by just breaking both Jack and Feng to a few essential moves and forcing his opponents to yield to his space: 1 2 3 4

So that's the same thing for starting with Lili, keep practicing movement to whiff punish when possible and sidestep. Here's Kane's Lili, the top Lili player in America and you can have an idea of how he utilizes Lili really well:

http://www.twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle/b/293587607

It might be a little fast to take in but watching videos definitely helps me quite a bit. (commentary will be very distracting though lol).

Another thing newer players should really learn is how to wakeup properly, I'm working on it right now and maybe I'll upload it tonight on the second OT thread I made. I called it Tekken |OT| so there'd be some hype in the gaming section and all further T6 discussion would be moved there. :) The thread was made for TTT2's release in a few days, but almost all the basics apply to T6 as well!

how's the netcode for this one on ps3?
I'm considering grabbing it for ps3 as well, but i'm quite skeptical for i heard that sc4 netcode on ps3 was terribad (have they fixed it? i'd double dip that on ps3 as well) but if the netcode is plainly BAD i'll just skip it :/

Doomshine

witchedwiz said:
I'm considering grabbing it for ps3 as well, but i'm quite skeptical for i heard that sc4 netcode on ps3 was terribad (have they fixed it? i'd double dip that on ps3 as well) but if the netcode is plainly BAD i'll just skip it :/
Don't accept anything below 3 bars and you should be fine, 4-5 bars if you can. Some might disagree, but it's definitely playable.

and as for sc4? did they actually fix the gig, or is still crappy as hell?
sorry if i'm going ot, but i expect/hope some tekken ps3 users to have at least tried sc4 on ps3 :L

Doomshine

Sorry, I haven't touched Soul Calibur after 3.

I'm saying it as someone who played a lot DRO, which is genuinely terrible. Unlike that game I can actually do combos, punish -10 moves and even break throws on occasion.

AAK

witchedwiz said:

4 bars and above the game is playable but definitely different from offline Tekken.

Tobe

im kinda new to the whole tekken scene in my country and no one could answer me if there was a major difference in gameplay between 360 and ps3 version, is there really a difference besides prettier graphics on the ps3 version?

Top Bottom