• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Duke controller re-releasing for XB1 & PC Holiday 2017

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Sony should release the boomerang prototype controller that was originally shown off with the PS3.

Forkball

Duke was awful. My friend swore by it, but once the S controllers came out I never went back. It is amusing to have as a collector.

Falchion

Man I remember that thing, the S version was so much better but it's really cool that they're bringing it back.

EmSeta

I must be one of the few who liked the original Duke, at least for some games (mainly FPS). Then again, I have fairly large hands.

Nyoro SF

I must be one of the few who liked the original Duke, at least for some games (mainly FPS). Then again, I have fairly large hands.

It wasn't just the size that made it good. The Duke also had diagonal face buttons so you could hit all four main face buttons without moving your thumb too. Godsend for lots of games.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
WTF...The duke wasn't good when people spoke of it ...it was pure nostalgia/"lol that existed"

The Xbox S controller is the best controller of all time bring that shit back!

Fox Mulder

Megatron

Damn, people can be nostalgic for anything.

Next thread on gaf: 'Can we get remasters of the burger king xbox games?'

Alienfan

People liking this controller in 2017 just makes me think that in 10 years time people are going to have nostalgia for the PS3 controller

I would have much preferred just a bigger official controller. The Xbox pads are great but ~50% bigger would be better for me as I have mans hands!

I've been saying that Microsoft should have done this with the MCC back in 2013, or whenever the Master Chief Collection was first announced. This is awesome that they are actually doing this. The OG Xbox was a really underrated system, IMO. Nice to see it getting some recognition.

I've never held a Duke before
how much larger than a XBOX One controller is it

Here is a random google pic next to a 360 controller at least, some dude modding it with 360 thumbsticks, but you get the general size comparison.

duke_360_hybrid_cg.jpg

Dehnus

Buying 4. Possibly more

HugehandsGAF we in this
Not just that, the black and white buttons. They were quite close to actually having six face buttons. I soooo enjoy that over four shoulder buttons. Gimme 2 triggers plus six face any day over four four.

That and my hand size is bigger than presidential petite.

Arklite

If they're adding shoulder buttons they're likely not keeping the odd black and white buttons. The narrow button arrangement was bad anyway, so that needs a fix. Who knows how much they may modify, but I know how much they should modify.

Eusis

If they're adding shoulder buttons they're likely not keeping the odd black and white buttons. The narrow button arrangement was bad anyway, so that needs a fix. Who knows how much they may modify, but I know how much they should modify.
I figured either that, or redundant buttons where they both have the same functionality, and it looks like this confirmed it:
This video gives you a glimpse of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmyRTI7YyRI

I know they said it would have screen but I really did not think it would be an actual screen where the logo was. It looks amazing and so ugly but I want one.
Would be nice if you could reprogram them on an OS level depending on what you WANT them to do rather than just mimicking the bumpers.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
What a piece of shit, whyyyyyy. It's probably second only to the 5200 controller in terms of controllers I hate.

Top Bottom