• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Duke controller re-releasing for XB1 & PC Holiday 2017

Nameless

The revision was better no doubt, but as someone with large hands I didn't mind the Fatboy controller for OG Xbox. Infinitely better than the stock GameCube controller.

Justinh

Smallest xbox, hueg-ist controller.

I'll probably get one even though I don't really like it. I think it's comfy as all hell to hold, but I really don't like the angle of the buttons.

This video gives you a glimpse of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmyRTI7YyRI

I know they said it would have screen but I really did not think it would be an actual screen where the logo was. It looks amazing and so ugly but I want one.

I'm glad it has both the new bumpers and the original B/W buttons.
I was hoping that was the route they'd take so that the player can choose which they want to use.

Memory card cover plate was expected.

Screen is ugly and unnecessary even though the giant circular gem from the original isn't all that aesthetically pleasing to begin with. I hope you can disable it for better battery life.

D-Pad is the same as the original, which is expected, but disappointing. I was hoping they'd update it to the xbone's + shape D-pad but to be fair that would cause people to complain about it not being faithful to the original so I guess that's not really a battle you can win either way.

No wireless? Why not? There's certainly enough space in the shell to put the electronics for it in there. Scrap the screen and used the saved costs on wireless...

Looking forward to seeing the final product. I'll likely buy one but since it's a third party controller and not actually made by MS I'm a little wary and would like to try it first...

Eusis

It was an atrocious controller. Everyone celebrated when they released the Spad.
I do wish they'd do that too. Nostalgia... AND comfort! Even get Bill Gates to show it off with the controller in one hand and a cheeseburger in the other.

jelly

I never had a problem with it. It's not great looking by any means but was comfortable beside the black and white buttons.

I don't know why they've gone with a screen though. I guess the space is massive there but still.

I would have much preferred an Xbox controller of the same spirit but retains the Xbox One controller features.

It's like the NES Classic for Xbox. Cool idea, though it was a failure of a Controller.

For some reason, my friends and I would fight over the Duke controllers when we were playing Halo.

Seems like a cool collectors item

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
It's not wireless though. So that won't be a problem. =p

Does it have that quick-release connection that was a good idea on paper, but a crappy one in practice?

The OG was indestructible, so not sure why they felt the need to protect from it being pulled down!

ekgrey

It's to protect your floor.

The reason I recall being given at the time was that it was heavy enough to hurt a small child or pet.

Also, it was the first console with an HDD, which are notoriously prone to damage from impact.

And I'm not sure why someone above said it was a bad idea in practice? Those detachable cords saved mine from more than one fall for sure. Yeah, having to get up and put it back together was a bit of a pain I guess, but better than the alternative. Three days after the GameCube launch I flipped the thing off the table and had it land upside down because of those painfully short cables. Thankfully it was fine but man did I freak out haha

WadeitOut

I have never used a Hyperkin controller I didn't hate.

That Gamecube controller they had was awful. Like 90% of them had major deadzone issues.

Shaky

I'm so excited for this. The Duke was one of, if not my, favorite controllers of all time. I hope it's not too expensive or hard to find.

Red Devil

Good for people with big hands, but it would've been a lot better if they had remade it with the Xbox One's controller d pad.

cakely

I still have one in a box somewhere. Thing was a monster, I bought an Xbox S controller as soon as they became available.

horkrux

Such an abomination. Why would anyone want this

When I bought my OG Xbox I made damn sure I got one with an S controller

Aw heck I want one! It'll be like one of those gifts that you don't know why you bought but you don't want to let go of it!

Fix the d-pad though please.

Revas

So is the XBOX jewel still an LCD screen and if so does it do anything besides display the logo? I'mma probably going to buy one depending on price.

b9eymlM.jpg

You must be a giant to need this enormous thing.

Be interesting to see what the quality is like. It's a 3rd party controller but MS seems to have a big hand in its development so hopefully it's as high quality as a 1st party controller (generally) is.

Seems cool and surprised I missed this from E3

Top Bottom